ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Allstate Sugar Bowl Baseball Classic

We are heading to the bottom of the 8th inning. The Score:
6 @UIBaseball
2 New Orleans

DW6NJMFW4AEujur.jpg

Iowa came out and took care of business from the start which is good to see. Tyler Cropley, Justin Jenkins, and Kyle Crowl all delivered offensively. It's big when you get the 2-out hits.

Cole McDonald notched a great start and got the W. He goes seven innings and both runs were unearned. Kyle Shimp pitched in relief.

The only concern is the errors committed that led to runs. Really need to clean it up as we saw against Ball State how an error can snowball into a huge inning.

I will take 5-1 on the year and 2-1 weekends all the time. Iowa opens up at home against Cornell College at 4pm on Tuesday. If you can get there then go, games at Duane Banks are always a good time. I will be interested in seeing who we start for midweek games. I assume we will Johnny Wholestaff the game.

Iowa travels to Birmingham,AL next weekend for the first true road series @ UAB.

actually, if I recall correctly, I think all of those 7 runs were unearned because had the Iowa SS fielded the ball, it likely was a double play where they get out of the inning unscathed
Second out of a potential DP can never be assumed, so the error would have only considered the first out missed.

that's where it gets confusing; when do the scored runs start counting as unearned?
It's not quite so simple, but if the potential DP yielded no outs because of the error, the runs that score on out #2 (because you can only assume one out, not two, on a potential DP) and after are considered unearned.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
ADVERTISEMENT