ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ B1G Tournament

Mar 14, 2003
Begins Wednesday in Omaha. Iowa will either be the #7 seed and play at 1pm or the #8 and play at 5pm. If Iowa is the #7 they play the winner of Nebraska/Indiana (today). If they are the #8 they will play Minnesota.

We will know our seed based on the MSU/Maryland outcome. If Maryland wins, Iowa is the #8. If MSU wins then Iowa/Maryland are tied at 12-12 and Iowa wins the tie breaker, so we'd be the #7.

I already have my tickets for Wednesday & Thursday. Here is to hoping I have to buy some for the three days after!

I like our chances of playing each other at 1:00pm.

Jake Meyers is on the mound today and has won 3 of his last conference starts.

Huskers held back Red Hot hitter 1B Scott Schreiber last night with a groin strain.

GBR and Go Sparty.

I like our chances of playing each other at 1:00pm.

Jake Meyers is on the mound today and has won 3 of his last conference starts.

Huskers held back Red Hot hitter 1B Scott Schreiber last night with a groin strain.

GBR and Go Sparty.
So.......Iowa is going to the semifinals regardless, is what you're trying to convey? Niiiice.

Iowa vs Minnesota @ 5pm on Wednesday

Looks like we could be dodging some rain depending on the part of day for most of the tournament which sucks.

Iowa finishes 12-12 and tied with Penn State and Illinois. Michigan winning by the skin of their teeth 1-0 on Friday vs Illinois saved Iowa as much as Iowa taking 2/3. If Illinois had won all three, they go to Omaha.

Minnesota is your B1G champion with a 16-7 record in the B1G while Nebraska finished 16-8. Having a conference game cancelled vs Michigan actually played to the benefit of Minnesota.

Wednesday Games
#3 Indiana vs #6 Maryland - 9am
#2 Nebraska vs #7 Michigan State - 1pm

#1 Minnesota vs #8 Iowa - 5pm
#4 Ohio State vs #5 Michigan - 9pm

Thursday the losers of the early games play at 9am, losers of the late games play at 1pm. The winners of the early games play at 5pm while the winners of the late games play at 9pm.

I have to say I thought all year that Iowa talent wise was a top 8 team in the B1G, but I was unsure if we'd make it with our schedule. Iowa did not play any of the bottom three teams in the conference, and no offense to Purdue/Northwestern but playing them seemed like a guaranteed five or six wins for most schools.

One of the amazing things to me is that Illinois goes from a record breaking year to not making the conference tournament. Looking at the B1G records this year shows me more parity in the conference for the most part. Last year Iowa and Illinois conference records easily wins the B1G this year. While on the flip side Iowa goes 12-12 and is the 8 seed and Nebraska was the 8 last year at 9-14 in the conference.

The key for Iowa was they did not get swept once this year and they won the Michigan State and Penn State series obviously. Which I was not sure if they could do both of those.

Reactions: icu81222
Would have been nice to play each other on Wednesday but MSU screwed the pouch today.
Been nice to play someone we haven't faced yet that would have worked for both of us to start the tournament.

Looking forward to the Hawk fans coming to Omaha.

Would have been nice to play each other on Wednesday but MSU screwed the pouch today.
Been nice to play someone we haven't faced yet that would have worked for both of us to start the tournament.

Looking forward to the Hawk fans coming to Omaha.

I would have liked to face Nebraska too. Rick Heller is 5-1 against Nebraska since he has been at Iowa, so I'd like our chances ;)

Reactions: icu81222
I would have liked to face Nebraska too. Rick Heller is 5-1 against Nebraska since he has been at Iowa, so I'd like our chances ;)

Maybe true with 5-1 we sucked last year, but if it would have been this weekend IN Lincoln ( since we have had to play in IC the last two years) we would have won the series. :p

Weather is going to be a factor for the duration of the tournament. If the weather gods give us enough dry time to get all the Wednesday/Thursday games in, then I think they will have enough opportunity to be able to get the whole tournament in. If the schedule on Wed/Thu gets thrown majorly out of whack, then I am concerned if it will even get played all the way.

Looks like the Omaha/CB Iowa Club is having a gathering at the Old Mattress Factory prior to the game. The location is within walking distance of TD Ameritrade.

Weather is going to be a factor for the duration of the tournament. If the weather gods give us enough dry time to get all the Wednesday/Thursday games in, then I think they will have enough opportunity to be able to get the whole tournament in. If the schedule on Wed/Thu gets thrown majorly out of whack, then I am concerned if it will even get played all the way.

Iowa needs the weather to cooperate. If any game gets cancelled due to the weather, the higher seed automatically advances.

Hawks looked pretty good. Knocked off top seeded Gophers 8-2. Jumped out to a 5 run lead after two and never looked back.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
Good thing they didn't have to worry about the weather. First 3 games have featured upsets that apparently otherwise wouldn't have happened had they been rained out.

Oh and Hawks win 8-2 over the top-seeded Gophers.

Like I said earlier in this thread......see you in the semifinals. ;)

From the Omaha World-Herald:

If there are rain delays, the coaches have agreed not to start any games later than 10 p.m. It will take about one hour between games for teams to warm up and for the grounds crew to prepare the field. At this point, only two games are scheduled for Friday, so there could be room to fit in a couple of extra games.

From the Omaha World-Herald:

If there are rain delays, the coaches have agreed not to start any games later than 10 p.m. It will take about one hour between games for teams to warm up and for the grounds crew to prepare the field. At this point, only two games are scheduled for Friday, so there could be room to fit in a couple of extra games.

That's the contingency plan if needed (and likely will be), but as you can imagine the coaches hate it as it would take away the off day for the teams that win the first two games. That day was supposed to be a reward to rest your players for taking care of business.

Maybe true with 5-1 we sucked last year, but if it would have been this weekend IN Lincoln ( since we have had to play in IC the last two years) we would have won the series. :p

Way to show up in your backyard. Is your head coach in over his head. Remember UNL was going to dominate the Big10.

Not officially released yet, but being told both night games for Thursday are being pushed back to Friday. Iowa would play at 1:00

Iowa needs the weather to cooperate. If any game gets cancelled due to the weather, the higher seed automatically advances.

I didn't realize this was a rule, kind of crock at this point actually. Because aside from Michigan I believe every team needs to win the tournament to get in. Let them decide on the field, even if have to play Monday. Because if it's not Michigan in the final then it'd be pretty easy for the NCAA to list a #4 - Big Ten Auto in a regional.

Now with that said, I was impressed by the Iowa fans on Thursday Night. They were loud and could be heard.

I was also impressed with how Iowa hit the ball. Aside from some of their midweek games, that is the best they have hit all year and they left A LOT of guys on base as well. If Iowa wins they could damn well win this thing. Losing and it's tough road ahead with the postponements.

I didn't realize this was a rule, kind of crock at this point actually. Because aside from Michigan I believe every team needs to win the tournament to get in. Let them decide on the field, even if have to play Monday. Because if it's not Michigan in the final then it'd be pretty easy for the NCAA to list a #4 - Big Ten Auto in a regional.

Now with that said, I was impressed by the Iowa fans on Thursday Night. They were loud and could be heard.

I was also impressed with how Iowa hit the ball. Aside from some of their midweek games, that is the best they have hit all year and they left A LOT of guys on base as well. If Iowa wins they could damn well win this thing. Losing and it's tough road ahead with the postponements.

Most experts think Nebraska and Minnesota are in the NCAA tourney regardless of going o-fer in Omaha. A TON of upsets around the country could change that though.

Most experts think Nebraska and Minnesota are in the NCAA tourney regardless of going o-fer in Omaha. A TON of upsets around the country could change that though.

I should have clarified when I said Michigan. I meant that for the remaining teams.

D1Baseball thinks they are in (Minnesota/Nebraska). They also think Maryland could get in if they stay hot. They did say Nebraska needs to look out for stolen bids however.

Need the offense to get going. What happened to all of the catchers? I know Frankos is hurt, Guzzo played some C last year didn't he? I'm guessing Fricke has been injured all year? And where did Evans and Sole end up?

Found Sole is playing at Kirkwood, hitting .294

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT