ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa didn’t “play to not lose”

We have issues all over the field. At the qb position, free safety position, and oline positions. Add in, where are the tight ends? We have coaching issues too. Blow it all up after this season cause KF ain’t getting it done.

It’s an awful excuse. I 100% believe Iowa state is the better team this year and Iowa’s offense is still hot garbage. They did what they could as best as they could. Time to try a different QB vs Troy.
ISU has a talent advantage at QB and WR. RB is probably a push. That's it.

I can't name a single player on ISU's defense and I just watched them play. Their DC is just as good as Parker, could be argued he's better.

The Offensive philosophy flipped on its head after Cade's INT. Kirk absolutely played not to lose after that.

I can't name a single player on ISU's defense and I just watched them play. Their DC is just as good as Parker, could be argued he's better.

The Offensive philosophy flipped on its head after Cade's INT. Kirk absolutely played not to lose after that.
Played not to lose after half- run the click, punt, our defense will stuff them- then they throw for over 200 yards to our 27, Three long pass plays that are never suppose to happen to Iowa

Kirk would need to see a leg lying on the turf and even then he'd still be asking Cade if he was good to get back out there.
Everyone in the fanbase and the media knows why he doesn't like to get his backup QBs serious reps thruout the season. (The Illinois State game is a good example of this)
He even said it once. He doesn't like the "controversy" it causes.
Translation: His ego is so delicate that he can't have anyone questioning his personnel choices.
I've always found it amusing so many see him as the king of humility.
Nobody with his contract, or level of stubbornness, is humble.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
That’s a given with KF but what is the difference between BF and a TL offense? Looks the same to me. Don’t target wide receivers, terrible routes if we do. Don’t use players at the position with speed like Wetjen but have a freshman with height out there. None of it makes any sense. No we don’t even target the tight ends is the biggest difference I see. Lachey has got to be saying I came back for this?

I'm not sure I blame him for the playing not to lose strategy. McNamara was Iowa State's best player. I'd have some leeway for McNamara playing like an inexperienced QB if he was an actually inexperienced. Guys been in college longer then Jordan Bohannon. That int gave ISU life and brought them right back in the game. That's a true freshman throw not an experienced QB throw. This loss is all on McNamara. If you want to get into KF'S questionable QB decisions then I'm here for it because he's been awful at QB decisions since the beginning.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017

I can't name a single player on ISU's defense and I just watched them play.
You are severely underestimating ISU’s secondary unit. They were one of the best in the B12 last year and brought everyone back. They were forced to cover even more space with ISU having 4 linebackers out and they accomplished it.

Reactions: Clone2
They got out played and coached by a better team. End of story. They have a lot of issues still with QB, Oline, defense is NOT elite like everyone wants to say each year.

They got out played and coached by a better team. End of story. They have a lot of issues still with QB, Oline, defense is NOT elite like everyone wants to say each year.
In most cases, I would agree when ISU beats Iowa they were the better team. This year, I'm not convinced ISU is the better team (maybe right now), but we'll know more about how good ISU is by the end of year.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
In most cases, I would agree when ISU beats Iowa they were the better team. This year, I'm not convinced ISU is the better team (maybe right now), but we'll know more about how good ISU is by the end of year.
I agree. Isu could have 6 wins or 9 plus. Hard telling.

Iowa ran the ball well for most of the day without much if any threat from their passing game. Did the OL run out of gas late or did ISU just sell out to stop the run and the passing offense couldn’t take advantage of it?

Of course they played not to lose. Under KF, Iowa virtually always plays not to lose. They may not have been the better team yesterday, but they most certainly played not to lose, coming out in the second half leading 13–0.

That second half looked like a vintage Brian Ferentz offense. Sadly, I think our offense resembles the first half of the Illinois State game much more than the second half. Part of that was poor quarterback play, but part of it was also overly conservative playcalling, in my opinion, probably influence very heavily by the head coach.

It’s an awful excuse. I 100% believe Iowa state is the better team this year and Iowa’s offense is still not great. They did what they could as best as they could. Time to try a different QB vs Troy.
You're right. Iowa played to lose and, as usual, succeeded.

You're also right that Sullivan should start at QB vs. Troy. I even said he should have started the second half yesterday and, if he had, Iowa would have won.

Everyone that knew that we would handoff to KJ over and over on the last possession please raise their hand.
That might be as much a lack of confidence in the passing game as anything else. Cade was just flat out bad from the 2nd quarter on. I mean he was Deacon Hill bad.

It’s an awful excuse. I 100% believe Iowa state is the better team this year and Iowa’s offense is still not great. They did what they could as best as they could. Time to try a different QB vs Troy.
don't agree with the better team take but do agree that we should at least check out another qb.
my observation is that
we played hard on defense but have holes
we were dumb on offense but have more talent than we think

I agree that after the bad interception Iowa played to consume clock time and focused on running the ball. OK, but CM does not like to run. Brendan Sullivan is big and did a good job running the ball for NW last year. They should have had him in as the QB providing more options to run the ball and the clock as desired.

At the start of the first game, it was like we had Brain's playbook and calls. It seemed that Lester said enough this crap and opened up his book. Multiple sets, motions, good mix of plays. Now yesterday, it sure seemed we had that same playbook that we ended up with the first game. Then it seemed like Kirk said enough of this crap and went back to Brain's offense the whole second half. Night and day difference in both halves of each game.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
At the start of the first game, it was like we had Brain's playbook and calls. It seemed that Lester said enough this crap and opened up his book. Multiple sets, motions, good mix of plays. Now yesterday, it sure seemed we had that same playbook that we ended up with the first game. Then it seemed like Kirk said enough of this crap and went back to Brain's offense the whole second half. Night and day difference in both halves of each game.
Agree. There were some great calls sprinkled in with lots of “Brain” material. Glimpses of actual offensive creativity thrown in with idiot ball. Maddening stuff.

Reactions: DEMGR
Played not to lose after half- run the click, punt, our defense will stuff them- then they throw for over 200 yards to our 27, Three long pass plays that are never suppose to happen to Iowa

I can see where you are coming from about KF going into turtle mode, but if you look at Cade's passing percentage after 1st quarter, any pass attempt was a lost down or worse. We became 1-dimensional on offense---it was Kaleb/OL make a play or nothing

I miss having a QB that can make a play on his own to extend a play, or take off and run. The Day's of Drew Tate is what I miss. QB play is always going to be highly dependent on supporting cast and Iowa
supporting cast is so-so, but our QB play is even worse.

Agree. There were some great calls sprinkled in with lots of “Brain” material. Glimpses of actual offensive creativity thrown in with idiot ball. Maddening stuff.
I believe Kirk gives his OC two different playbooks. There’s the conservative run out the clock, take absolutely NO risk, and then what the current OC philosophy/scheme

Kirk gives orders on which one can be used.

It seems to make too much sense over the last 20 years where we seem to see two different versions of an offense within a game let alone week to week.

Notice when the heat is on Kirk the playbook opens up and Iowa looks pretty competent ?

Then the next week we return to his red light / green light governance.

Now the only outlier to this has been the last three years where the talent and coaching has been SO bad even if they tried to light up the score board they couldn’t do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT