ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa football not on Mediacom Cable

Mediacom cable and ABC channel 8 in the Quad Cities are in a dispute over charges and they are not carrying 8. Anyone have any idea how I can pick up the game.
Get an antenna. Get a streaming service (usually a free trial for 30 days). Go to a bar. Go to a friend's house. Or just move? Just a few suggestions.....

Pretty much every streaming service has a free trial- sign up for the free trial and cancel after the game if you really want to keep Mediacom.

Mediacom cable and ABC channel 8 in the Quad Cities are in a dispute over charges and they are not carrying 8. Anyone have any idea how I can pick up the game.
If you DM me I will let you use my HULU Plus account and send you the username and password just for the day (Saturday for the Iowa game and the rest of the day and night) but will have to change the password after that Hawkeye brother

I'm probably wrong again but I thought I was watching Beth do sports news on ABC tonight and she said ABC was going to carry it????

Why does it seem Mediacom is always in a dispute where an Iowa game may be unbroadcasted. Scum ass company.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I'm probably wrong again but I thought I was watching Beth do sports news on ABC tonight and she said ABC was going to carry it????

Do you understand the difference between “ABC” and a local ABC affiliate?

If have a smart tv and solid wifi, install the ESPN app, login with mediacom credentials and stream from there. If no smart tv, get a fire stick or Roku, install ESPN app and stream.
This is the simplest way. If you have the ability to stream and already have Mediacom, you can watch it on the ESPN app. I watched the Notre Dame/FSU game this way Sunday night. No need to mess with free trials, remembering to cancel, etc.

If you're not set up yet, you can start at the link below. Please note they say it may take up to one business day for it to take affect, so don't wait until Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: RothMatt
I think Mediacom would be dead already if it wasn’t for Iowa being the first state in presidential process. They print money for months on those ads.

I saw your post asking where/how to watch Cy-Hawk game while WQAD not avail. EASY answer -- use your smart TV and use the ESPN online portal... that's how I watched Notre Dame vs. FSU Sunday night (overtime game, great). All Mediacom customers who get ESPN on their channel lineup also get ESPN/watch (aka ESPN 3) without any additional cost (streaming ESPN+ is one of the menu choices on ESPN/watch - but there's a streaming fee for ESPN+, NOT for ESPN3 / watch). So if your SmartTV is set up in sync with your Mediacom internet, it will recognize your IP address, & you're all set. It's a great way to watch more of what ESPN is providing in other viewing areas. I hope this helps....

All of them.

I had Dish for 17 years and YTTV for about two now. Both have their pros and cons.

Dish was definitely the better of the services, but the more expensive option. YTTV does it’s job and is cheaper (although not by much in my case). Dish pissed me off, which is why I’m no longer a customer, but both options are way better than Mediacom (IMO, of course).

If have a smart tv and solid wifi, install the ESPN app, login with mediacom credentials and stream from there. If no smart tv, get a fire stick or Roku, install ESPN app and stream.
Since the NY company that owns the ABC channels told Mediacom to remove them and you are using Mediacom credentials would this work?

Since the NY company that owns the ABC channels told Mediacom to remove them and you are using Mediacom credentials would this work?
Yes. I'm not sure why it does, but it has worked for me for sporting events on ABC (ND/FSU game Sunday night; NBA playoffs last summer).

Yes.
PSA for anyone who didn't realize that a Mediacom subscription entitles you to watch ESPN3 games via streaming or have access to this article: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-cyhawk-cy-hawk-mediacom-blackout/5722875001/

EDIT: Sorry . . . linked the wrong article. This one should do the trick: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...com-blackout-cyhawk-cy-hawk-tegna/5648187001/

I've used Sling, Hulu, DirecTV and Dish. YTTV has been the best for reliability and content.

What don't you like about it?

Also, PROBABLY better than Mediacom? Way better AINEC!
It's not so much that I don't like it.......it's that I just don't care. :cool:

Also, I keep hearing everyone gush about YouTube TV, and since I'll never bother to get it, I figured I'd be the lone dissenting voice of reason.

Hope that helps. ;)

I had Dish for 17 years and YTTV for about two now. Both have their pros and cons.

Dish was definitely the better of the services, but the more expensive option. YTTV does it’s job and is cheaper (although not by much in my case). Dish pissed me off, which is why I’m no longer a customer, but both options are way better than Mediacom (IMO, of course).
What can you watch on YouTube TV that you can't on Dish or Mediacom?.......

(aside from the obvious blocked channels)

What can you watch on YouTube TV that you can't on Dish or Mediacom?.......

(aside from the obvious blocked channels)

For starters, the Iowa game, evidently.

The Super Bowl when Dish didn’t have the local Fox affiliate.

What can’t I watch on YTTV that I need Dish or Mediacom? And watch it for less money?

The only thing I’m truly missing about Dish is their Hopper DVR. That thing was nice especially in sporting events. You could pin point the spot you wanted to stop the action. Rewinding and fast forwarding was a lot smoother with the Hopper. Plus I could keep Iowa games and movies recorded forever on there if I wanted.

What can’t I watch on YTTV that I need Dish or Mediacom?

Sounds like you aren't a St. Louis Cardinals fan . . . YTTV dropped the Cardinals regional broadcast partner. That move led to my neighbor dropping YTTV and he's now with AT&T streaming (which I believe is basically DirectTV's streaming service).

Reactions: iahawks10
Sounds like you aren't a St. Louis Cardinals fan . . . YTTV dropped the Cardinals regional broadcast partner. That move led to my neighbor dropping YTTV and he's now with AT&T streaming (which I believe is basically DirectTV's streaming service).

Not a Cardinals fan, but I do miss their games on Dish (I believe a Fox channel). I’m a Braves fan, so I’m used to not watching my team, but Dish would air the Brewers, Cubs (before Marquee), Sox, and the Cardinals games. Now all I get are the Sox games and the Yankees who always seem to be on MLB Network. But if the streaming sites didn’t work a majority of the time, I’d likely get the MLB app.

In the past few years, I’ve found that most things are streaming online somewhere. It may not be the most legit way to watch them, but I can live with myself if I have to resort to watching it that way.

Yes. I'm not sure why it does, but it has worked for me for sporting events on ABC (ND/FSU game Sunday night; NBA playoffs last summer).

Difference between ESPN3 and ESPN+ described: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/whats-the-difference-between-espn3-and-espn-you-asked-we-explain/

From what I understand, if a sporting event is scheduled to be broadcast on ABC or ESPN's channels (ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU), it will be available to stream on ESPN3. If it isn't on any of those channels, you'd need an ESPN+ subscription to access the broadcast (assuming that it is available on ESPN+).

For example, since ABC is scheduled to broadcast the Iowa/ISU game, it is available on ESPN3 via streaming to Mediacom customers, regardless of whether the local ABC affiliate is in a contract dispute. However, because ISU/UNI was not on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU, you'd have to be a ESPN+ subscriber to have streamed the game.

Not a Cardinals fan, but I do miss their games on Dish (I believe a Fox channel). I’m a Braves fan, so I’m used to not watching my team, but Dish would air the Brewers, Cubs (before Marquee), Sox, and the Cardinals games. Now all I get are the Sox games and the Yankees who always seem to be on MLB Network. But if the streaming sites didn’t work a majority of the time, I’d likely get the MLB app.

And if you lived in the Cardinals' home market (including the entire state of Iowa), you'd be blacked out from watching those games on the MLB app due to the exclusivity rights negotiated by the regional broadcast partner.

Iowa is the black hole of MLB, with 6 teams covering the entire state as a blackout. Which is ridiculous.

Iowa is the black hole of MLB, with 6 teams covering the entire state as a blackout. Which is ridiculous.

Isn't Nevada in the same situation or is it only parts of Nevada?

Regardless, I don't see anything changing soon. MLBAM revenues are shared equally among all the teams. The difference between "haves" and "have nots" in baseball is defined by local media market revenue which is only shared slightly; each club keeps the vast amount of its local media market revenue. I think that the Dodgers receive about $200M annually form its local media. My favorite team (sadly) - the Pirates - generates about $30M. That means the Dodgers can spend an extra $170M on salaries and stay equal financially with the Bucs - before a single ticket is sold. That's the equivalent of 8 All-Star quality starters (just over $20M per player).

And, when you have owners purchasing MLB clubs and factoring in local media market revenues into the purchase price, you'll never see MLB adopt a program by which MLBAM handles all television/radio distribution and splits revenues equally. By way of example, There is no way that the Dodgers would have sold for $2B in 2012 unless they were to continually receive monstrous amounts from their local revenue streams. How do you put that genie back in the bottle?

Yes, southern Nevada also has six.

Even with the MLB revenue distribution model, there is no logical reason why both Chicago teams are blacked out in Sioux City.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT