ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa football to play Northwestern at Wrigley Field in 2023

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa football’s Nov. 4 game against Northwestern will be at Wrigley Field, the schools announced Tuesday morning.

This is not the first time Northwestern has played at Wrigley Field -- home of the Chicago Cubs. The Wildcats played Purdue in 2021 and Illinois in 2010 at the historic venue.

Northwestern season ticket holders will have “priority access” to tickets at Wrigley, per a Northwestern release.

Last edited:
Good gawd...why do they (NW) insist on doing this. I mean, sure - I seem to recall Ryan Field is getting some sort of makeover (maybe) soon, and maybe they need to see if playing at Wrigley is a viable alternative IF that goes through and RF is out for a season or two.

But as mentioned above, my concern is for player safety.

Good gawd...why do they (NW) insist on doing this. I mean, sure - I seem to recall Ryan Field is getting some sort of makeover (maybe) soon, and maybe they need to see if playing at Wrigley is a viable alternative IF that goes through and RF is out for a season or two.

But as mentioned above, my concern is for player safety.
They’re actually planning to completely tear down the existing stadium and build a brand-new, smaller stadium in its existing location. The Ryan family has donated half a billion dollars to the project but they still need to do more fundraising, so I don’t think they have a timeframe scheduled yet.

So they’re definitely going to need a temporary home for at least one season, if not two. But I don’t see Wrigley as a viable option. At one time it was useable for football, but that was many decades and many renovations ago. It’s a baseball-only stadium now.

I think Northwestern’s best bet is to work out a deal with the Chicago Park District to play at Soldier Field.

Are they still going to have all offensive possessions go the same direction so players don’t crash into a brick wall at the back of the end zone?
They only had to do that once. Since then they have made modifications that allow for more room so teams can go both ways on the field.

Other games there have been very successful. I'm kind of excited for it and will try and get tickets if they aren't horribly overpriced. I'd rather go to Wrigley than Ryan Field.

They’re actually planning to completely tear down the existing stadium and build a brand-new, smaller stadium in its existing location. The Ryan family has donated half a billion dollars to the project but they still need to do more fundraising, so I don’t think they have a timeframe scheduled yet.

So they’re definitely going to need a temporary home for at least one season, if not two. But I don’t see Wrigley as a viable option. At one time it was useable for football, but that was many decades and many renovations ago. It’s a baseball-only stadium now.

I think Northwestern’s best bet is to work out a deal with the Chicago Park District to play at Soldier Field.
Heh, Soldier Field is going to have plenty of availability in a few years...

They only had to do that once. Since then they have made modifications that allow for more room so teams can go both ways on the field.

Other games there have been very successful. I'm kind of excited for it and will try and get tickets if they aren't horribly overpriced. I'd rather go to Wrigley than Ryan Field.
I wasn’t aware of the modifications. The only time I saw them play at Wrigley was the Illinois game a few years ago where they had to keep changing sides.

Chicago Land is one big building project:

Chicago Bears building new stadium in Arlington Heights.
Northwestern building new football stadium soon.
Chicago Cubs in a rebuilding program as the icons from the
2016 World Series Champs are long gone.

Bottom Line: Iowa Hawkeye Offensive Coordinator will bring
his new contract for rebuilding his offense to score at least
25 points against Northwestern in November, 2023. Yes,
Brian Ferentz is coming to Chicago Land

Chicago Land is one big building project:

Chicago Bears building new stadium in Arlington Heights.
Northwestern building new football stadium soon.
Chicago Cubs in a rebuilding program as the icons from the
2016 World Series Champs are long gone.

Bottom Line: Iowa Hawkeye Offensive Coordinator will bring
his new contract for rebuilding his offense to score at least
25 points against Northwestern in November, 2023. Yes,
Brian Ferentz is coming to Chicago Land
You forgot the perpetually rebuilding Bears, the perpetually rebuilding Bulls, and the perpetually rebuilding Blackhawks....who don't really seem interested in actually doing the things rebuilding teams need to be doing.

Also, here's hoping the Chicago Sky blow up whatever team they have to get the first pick in 2024 so they can draft Caitlyn Clark.

• Angry
Reactions: torbee and LuteHawk
I think Northwestern’s best bet is to work out a deal with Englewood High School on Chicago’s south side. NW could bring its intellectual, upper-class, and extremely snobby white brand of football and introduce it to a whole new set of fans who may never have had the privilege of witnessing the spectacle of NW Football before.

FIFY

Reactions: hawkeyeandy
Just booked rooms DT Chicago for Fri and Sat. Never been to Wrigley Field or Wrigleyville so it should be a good time.
Really? I think you'll like the area. Hopefully the team is playing for something when the game rolls around.

Really? I think you'll like the area. Hopefully the team is playing for something when the game rolls around.
Really. Been to Chicago many of times, never made it to Wrigleyville. Looking forward more to the atmosphere there and a couple of Days in Chi the most TBH, but obviously a Hawkeye win would be nice. If tickets are extremely outrageous, I may just watch in a Wrigleyville bar.

Reactions: torbee
From Google:

What does Malört taste like?

Image result for malort whiskey

Stick with us here — Jeppson's Malort tastes like something between fiery death and herbal, gasoline-extracted fruitiness. This liquor is harsh, savory, and waxy on the palate, and its concoction of bitter herbs and pungent power will make you feel a lot of things, and “alive” is one of them.

I got a hotel room at the Zachary last month when this was a rumor. For points. That paid off nicely.

Right on brand for you. "Never change anything, ever!"
Lulz, nah I just don't want Northwestern to have any kind of special atmosphere kind of game against us.

I was all for the Soldier Field games and would've loved to have gotten a non-con game against Notre Dame there before we closed our doors to other P5 opponents OOC....................

But you swinging and missing is also right on brand for you. That's two strikes so far, ole buddy ole pal. Wanna try again? ;)

P.S. no shot clock HS basketball > shot clock HS basketball :cool:

How in the hell are we letting this happen? There’s a f——— wall a few inches from the back of the endzone? And fans can reach out and grab the goalposts. This is a terrible idea.
Money talks.

Lulz, nah I just don't want Northwestern to have any kind of special atmosphere kind of game against us.

I was all for the Soldier Field games and would've loved to have gotten a non-con game against Notre Dame there before we closed our doors to other P5 opponents OOC....................

But you swinging and missing is also right on brand for you. That's two strikes so far, ole buddy ole pal. Wanna try again? ;)

P.S. no shot clock HS basketball > shot clock HS basketball :cool:
Nah, I was right on both accounts. If you were in charge of basketball we'd still have peach baskets. My opinions > your opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT