ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa governor signs ‘constitutional carry’ into law

Why is it easier legally to get a permit to conceal carry than a hunting license (assume background is clean for both)? I did a hunting safety course when I was
12ish so I could participate in a sport shooting Boy Scout merit badge class. 2 fairly full days in person at the local community college. IIRC, it was required for everyone getting a new hunting license and whoever organized the merit badge class locally required it. Makes sense to want people not being careless with firearms when hunting, but who in the hell ever goes hunting by themselves the first time rather than with someone experienced to teach them that stuff? With a conceal carry, the main idea is you've found yourself more or less on your own in a bad situation needing to defend yourself. Seems like the only practice people really get for that unless they work(ed) in LE or the military is shooting at stationary targets for points? People who can afford to hobby shoot or regularly train can probably afford private armed self defense lessons if they want, but how many of them are actually going to bother instead of just hoping they'll have the composure when the time comes to draw or find cover and draw? If your reasons for carrying really are worst case defending yourself and you don't seek out some training on strategies for that in different situations, you've basically got an expensive deterrent for bad guys without guns who aren't already too close for you to draw. Which is a nice thing to have I imagine, especially for people who walk around and appear more vulnerable to bad guys than me. But a bad guy with a gun? He's fired several rounds before you realize you've just heard gunshots and then you're just going to rely on combat instincts you imagine yourself having?

Can I have a loaded uncased gun in my truck during deer season now? Unloading and casing is a pain

Why is it easier legally to get a permit to conceal carry than a hunting license (assume background is clean for both)? I did a hunting safety course when I was
12ish so I could participate in a sport shooting Boy Scout merit badge class. 2 fairly full days in person at the local community college. IIRC, it was required for everyone getting a new hunting license and whoever organized the merit badge class locally required it. Makes sense to want people not being careless with firearms when hunting, but who in the hell ever goes hunting by themselves the first time rather than with someone experienced to teach them that stuff? With a conceal carry, the main idea is you've found yourself more or less on your own in a bad situation needing to defend yourself. Seems like the only practice people really get for that unless they work(ed) in LE or the military is shooting at stationary targets for points? People who can afford to hobby shoot or regularly train can probably afford private armed self defense lessons if they want, but how many of them are actually going to bother instead of just hoping they'll have the composure when the time comes to draw or find cover and draw? If your reasons for carrying really are worst case defending yourself and you don't seek out some training on strategies for that in different situations, you've basically got an expensive deterrent for bad guys without guns who aren't already too close for you to draw. Which is a nice thing to have I imagine, especially for people who walk around and appear more vulnerable to bad guys than me. But a bad guy with a gun? He's fired several rounds before you realize you've just heard gunshots and then you're just going to rely on combat instincts you imagine yourself having?
It isn't, as an example you took hunters safety at 12, 12 year Olds cannot get a concealed carry. Practice practice practice.

It isn't, as an example you took hunters safety at 12, 12 year Olds cannot get a concealed carry. Practice practice practice.
I just googled it and there are companies competing to certify me faster for less money right where I sit. After that under current law then I just file with the state and wait to get my permit in the mail? Does anyone get turned down if they haven't actually, by due process, forfeited their right to keep and bear arms?

Perhaps for reasons similar to you telling me why I am so wrong for thinking as I do?
Myself, and most conservatives don’t care what liberals think. Free thought is a good thing. It’s actions that should be debated over. You don’t think it’s strange for non gun owners to tell gun owners why they like or need them?

Reactions: Gimmered
Myself, and most conservatives don’t care what liberals think. Free thought is a good thing. It’s actions that should be debated over. You don’t think it’s strange for non gun owners to tell gun owners why they like or need them?
Not at all strange. You don't think it's strange that gun owners expect me to take them at their word that they're "good guys with guns" instead of more assholes with guns? That's what they're doing and it's far more preposterous.

Friday evening news dump. Is anyone surprised

603e6c5d29d92.image.jpg

Gov. Kim Reynolds has signed legislation to eliminate a requirement that Iowans obtain a permit to acquire or carry handguns and loosen other state restrictions.
House File 756 “protects the Second Amendment rights of Iowa’s law-abiding citizens while still preventing the sale of firearms to criminals and other dangerous individuals,” the governor said in a statement Friday afternoon.
The law also takes “greater steps to inform law enforcement about an individual’s mental illness helping ensure firearms don't end up in the wrong hands,” she said.

“We will never be able to outlaw or prevent every single bad actor from getting a gun, but what we can do is ensure law-abiding citizens have full access to their constitutional rights while keeping Iowans safe,” the Osceola Republican said.

HF 756 enacts permit-less “constitutional carry” provisions similar to those in 18 other states that gun rights advocates say will enhance individual rights while removing what sponsor Rep. Steve Holt, R-Denison, called a requirement that they get a “permission slip from the government” to exercise their Second Amendment rights to buy and carry a firearm.

Signing the bill into law will end a system that allows Iowans to exercise that right, but requires “you must prove yourself not guilty in advance,” according to Sen. Jason Schultz, R-Schleswig.

HF 756 ends Iowa’s current system that requires that to acquire and carry a handgun, an Iowan needs to get a permit from a county sheriff who runs a required federal background check on the individual before issuing a five-year permit. After that, the individual who buys a handgun would be required to display a permit to carry if a law enforcement officer requests to see it. The bill’s supporters said Iowans aged 21 and older who wish to have a permit will still be able to do so under a revamped optional system. Iowans buying a gun from a federally licensed dealer still would have to either pass a federal background check or present a permit to carry.

The “cumulative effect” of HF 756, passed largely along party lines in both the House and Senate, would be “to make it possible for someone to buy a weapon from a private seller without a background check and carry it anywhere without any training on how to safely operate the gun Senate Minority Leader Zach Wahls, D-Coralville, warned.

Democrats said Iowa’s current background check system that blocked nearly 15,000 illegal sales between 1998 and 2019.
“We don’t need to make it easier for bad guys to get guns,” said Sen. Rob Hogg, D-Cedar Rapids. Opponents of HF 576 said the change would make it easy for felons, domestic abusers and those prohibited based on mental illness to buy handguns in Iowa. Maintaining the law without change would maintain Iowa’s lower firearm homicide rates, lower firearm suicide rates and lower rates of firearm trafficking.

However, Holt argued the law will have the opposite effect because private sellers would not risk the penalties if they don’t know the buyer has passed a background check. Under the law, private sellers who transferred a firearm if they “know or reasonably should know that the other person is ineligible to possess dangerous weapons” would be committing a Class D felony carrying a potential penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine up of to $7,500.

Based on her earlier comments, gun control advocates had hoped Reynolds would veto the legislation. In the wake of a 2018 Florida school shooting, Reynolds said Iowa had “reasonable and responsible gun laws on the books.” The state’s laws, including gun permits, should remain on the books, she added.

She went on to say the federal government should strengthen background checks, adding that addressing gun violence is not “one thing in isolation.”
“We have to look at everything because it includes everything,” Reynolds said.
In 2019, Reynolds declined to support similar legislation, again saying background checks and permits were “the right thing to do.”

Asked about those statements recently, Reynolds acknowledged that in the past she said the policies in place were good, but she would look at new legislation as it was presented.

She holds that like she's scared to death of it.

Reactions: lucas80
Ummm, maybe the people getting shot will have a fighting chance now.
Um, they are the perpetrators, too. That’s the problem. No one is immune to making a stupid decision with their easily accessible firearm—either by misinterpreting their environment, hypervigilance, or rage.

Um, they are the perpetrators, too. That’s the problem. No one is immune to making a stupid decision with their easily accessible firearm—either by misinterpreting their environment, hypervigilance, or rage.
So self defense makes you a perpetrator? The SCOTUS says you're an idiot.

Did we pass a law offering civil and criminal immunity for the concealed carry crowd who kill a bystander when they feel threatened and pull that gun out and pull the trigger? If they didn't, the unintended consequences of this law will force another one in the near future. I have a few friends and work associates who I trust with a firearm. I have a cousin who was an MP in the USMC, I trust him with his concealed handgun. I have a few friends and co-workers who grew up responsibly handling guns their entire lives that I trust. After that the people I talk to mainly at work who express excitement about being able to carry a hand gun scare me. They will probably shoot themselves attempting to pull the gun, or fire blindly if they ever pull it.
Guns are serious things, and most people don't have what it takes to responsibly enter into a situation where death is a possible outcome.

Again, you don’t understand. Self defense occurs in 1% of all homicides. What about the other 99%?
And you don't understand, this law will help change those stats. Let's turn some of those homicides into justifiable homicides.

The things that you see as a reason why I shouldn't have a gun, I see as reasons why I need one.

And you don't understand, this law will help change those stats. Let's turn some of those homicides into justifiable homicides.

The things that you see as a reason why I shouldn't have a gun, I see as reasons why I need one.
How will this law make anyone safer? It requires zero training on actually being able to handle a gun. It would be like giving someone a drivers license after they watch a couple of youtube videos.

Lack of training would suggest that you believe that accidental shootings are the problem. Could you post your stats on that?
My post makes no claim. What it does counter is your assertion that this law will give people a chance now? How? People can already carry with minimal effort. Lack of access to guns is your stat to support.

How will this law make anyone safer? It requires zero training on actually being able to handle a gun. It would be like giving someone a drivers license after they watch a couple of youtube videos.
So, this isn't new territory, many states have done this, maybe you could link us to some examples of problems this has caused in other states?

So, this isn't new territory, many states have done this, maybe you could link us to some examples of problems this has caused in other states?
Once again, the burden is on you. You're the one claiming this is necessary and will make Iowa safer. Where are your stats? My claim is that this law won't help anything beyond the sale of more guns.

Once again, the burden is on you. You're the one claiming this is necessary and will make Iowa safer. Where are your stats? My claim is that this law won't help anything beyond the sale of more guns.
I have no burden to prove, you keep suggesting this is a bad idea and will create issues, but offer nothing to support that.

Can I have a loaded uncased gun in my truck during deer season now? Unloading and casing is a pain
That's a good question. I bounce around a lot while bird hunting and it would be nice to just hop in the truck without unloading and casing my shotgun in the back.

Did we pass a law offering civil and criminal immunity for the concealed carry crowd who kill a bystander when they feel threatened and pull that gun out and pull the trigger? If they didn't, the unintended consequences of this law will force another one in the near future. I have a few friends and work associates who I trust with a firearm. I have a cousin who was an MP in the USMC, I trust him with his concealed handgun. I have a few friends and co-workers who grew up responsibly handling guns their entire lives that I trust. After that the people I talk to mainly at work who express excitement about being able to carry a hand gun scare me. They will probably shoot themselves attempting to pull the gun, or fire blindly if they ever pull it.
Guns are serious things, and most people don't have what it takes to responsibly enter into a situation where death is a possible outcome.
Full disclosure. I have had a concealed carry permit for many years. I can honestly say that I have very rarely carried or felt the need to. To me it’s just too much of a liability and responsibility.
One of the reasons why is that if I do happen to kill someone even if I’m not in legal jeopardy to be incarcerated I’m still in danger of civilly being sued and lose a lot of personal wealth or earnings. I think this is something people need to think about. Besides taking a human life people need to know what the ramifications that shooting someone can cause. You don’t have to kill them. Maybe you disable them for life. I can guarantee the legal fees and any possible award that you may have to pay isn’t worth it.
How many times in your life have you been in a situation where you said man I wish I had a firearm. I don’t put myself into situations where I need to carry a gun to feel safe. Most altercations can be avoided. I’m not against people protecting themselves but I believe a lot of people think that carrying makes themselves tough or invincible. It’s quite the contrary. Especially if everyone is carrying. Hopefully you don’t have your weapon taken from you and get you and or your family killed with it.
That's a good question. I bounce around a lot while bird hunting and it would be nice to just hop in the truck without unloading and casing my shotgun in the back.
I don’t see why not. Just don’t shoot from vehicle or on road. It’s not the safest thing to do though.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Full disclosure. I have had a concealed carry permit for many years. I can honestly say that I have very rarely carried or felt the need to. To me it’s just too much of a liability and responsibility.
One of the reasons why is that if I do happen to kill someone even if I’m not in legal jeopardy to be incarcerated I’m still in danger of civilly being sued and lose a lot of personal wealth or earnings. I think this is something people need to think about. Besides taking a human life people need to know what the ramifications that shooting someone can cause. You don’t have to kill them. Maybe you disable them for life. I can guarantee the legal fees and any possible award that you may have to pay isn’t worth it.
How many times in your life have you been in a situation where you said man I wish I had a firearm. I don’t put myself into situations where I need to carry a gun to feel safe. Most altercations can be avoided. I’m not against people protecting themselves but I believe a lot of people think that carrying makes themselves tough or invincible. It’s quite the contrary. Especially if everyone is carrying. Hopefully you don’t have your weapon taken from you and get you and or your family killed with it.

My cousin who was the MP in the USMC works for a company that installs and maintains heating and cooling systems for large buildings in the St. Louis area. Think systems that heat and cool entire office buildings or a hospital. His work takes him to some tough parts of St. Louis, and he's just a guy out making a living to support his family. I don't worry about him. Now, if he was driving around tough areas at night, or going looking for trouble that's different. Just stay away from places you got no business going to is a pretty good way to avoid having to use a gun. Is it bad that there are tough neighborhoods? Yes, but, that's a different conversation.

I have taken zero fire extinguisher classes. And if a real fire broke out I would have zero confidence I would be able to stop it. Not that this matters. Nobody carries or views fire extinguishers as a status symbol.

And why don't we require real training in order to own a gun? Why is it optional?
Because dipshits like you want Govt to control our lives. I have a permit and took the training . Training that began when I was 10 years old. I applaud Gov Reynolds on this.

Reactions: LaTavianGreenshaw24

I don’t see why not. Just don’t shoot from vehicle or on road. It’s not the safest thing to do though.
I live in Nebraska, so this has no affect on me. Nebraska is however considering the same thing. I was always concerned about constitutional carry, like many here I felt that if you were going to carry in public, you needed to go the extra step and be certified.

My concern has dissipated quite a lot, because as more and more States have adopted constitutional carry, there just haven't been any problems.

Nebraska does allow me to open carry, no training required, always has. Still no issues. What constitutional carry would do, is allow me to toss my handgun into the glovebox while I stopped for a bottle of water on my way to the range, without needing to worry about being arrested.

I'm a gun guy, I love to shoot, I just haven't done much of it lately. Range time is a good time for me. With that said, I really don't feel comfortable carrying a holstered handgun, even at the range. I do like the idea of having one available in the truck, if I feel like I need to, it's just not something I want to do a class on and invest the cash for. If I'm at that point, I'll just roll the dice and carry.

Couple issues I can see with this. It doesn't make sense you can carry a gun without a permit, but if you have a spring loaded knife you need one. Currently your permit is valid for 5 years. Usually your local Sheriff's Office will run a check every year to make sure you haven't committed some crime or a meatal health episode that would disqualify them from owning a permit or gun. Also, the class D felony for selling a gun privately to someone who is barred from owning one doesn't seem to be to enforceable. I saw a couple attorney's commenting they are looking for the first person to be charged with it, because it would be easy money getting the charged dropped. Even the legislatures admitted it would be hard to enforce that law, but thought the deterrent of a possible felony would make people think before selling their guns privately.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Couple issues I can see with this. It doesn't make sense you can carry a gun without a permit, but if you have a spring loaded knife you need one. Currently your permit is valid for 5 years. Usually your local Sheriff's Office will run a check every year to make sure you haven't committed some crime or a meatal health episode that would disqualify them from owning a permit or gun. Also, the class D felony for selling a gun privately to someone who is barred from owning one doesn't seem to be to enforceable. I saw a couple attorney's commenting they are looking for the first person to be charged with it, because it would be easy money getting the charged dropped. Even the legislatures admitted it would be hard to enforce that law, but thought the deterrent of a possible felony would make people think before selling their guns privately.

Thanks, I really respect a LE person’s opinion on this issue. If I recall correctly Iowa LE by and large was against this new law, correct? I find it highly questionable that so called “conservatives” who routinely support LE are now pivoting in the opposite direction now. It’s a shitty law IMO.

No more strange than gun owners constantly reminding us non-owners why ownership of automatic assault weapons in necessary in today world. And why I shouldn't worry when every Tom, Dick and Hairy in A,erica can walk around with a fire arm and that should make me feel safe.

Thanks, I really respect a LE person’s opinion on this issue. If I recall correctly Iowa LE by and large was against this new law, correct? I find it highly questionable that so called “conservatives” who routinely support LE are now pivoting in the opposite direction now. It’s a shitty law IMO.
I’ve heard mixed comments. I think I heard the Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association is remaining neutral on the law. I think most law enforcement are ok with the idea, but feel it might have been a bit rushed and not completely thought out.

No more strange than gun owners constantly reminding us non-owners why ownership of automatic assault weapons in necessary in today world. And why I shouldn't worry when every Tom, Dick and Hairy in A,erica can walk around with a fire arm and that should make me feel safe.
I understand where you’re coming from, but in my opinion, more people buying guns doesn’t equal more bad people getting their hands on guns. How many people are going to shoot someone with a gun that they themselves purchased with a paper trail leading back to them? Mass shooters are usually mentally ill psychos that are going to find a way, no matter what any of you think, to kill people. Now if you wanna blame republicans for pulling money away from mental health then I’m on your side. But I simply do not believe more guns equals more shootings.

I understand where you’re coming from, but in my opinion, more people buying guns doesn’t equal more bad people getting their hands on guns. How many people are going to shoot someone with a gun that they themselves purchased with a paper trail leading back to them? Mass shooters are usually mentally ill psychos that are going to find a way, no matter what any of you think, to kill people. Now if you wanna blame republicans for pulling money away from mental health then I’m on your side. But I simply do not believe more guns equals more shootings.
More guns on the streets and in the hands of "the people".....Gee, what can possibly go wrong with that?

I’ve heard mixed comments. I think I heard the Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association is remaining neutral on the law. I think most law enforcement are ok with the idea, but feel it might have been a bit rushed and not completely thought out.
With this current Governor and Legislature...and idea not well thought out passed into law? How dare you think that....Blasphemy!! This Legislature cannot look beyond the ends of their pencil thin dicks! This Governor, has no dick.....so I have no idea what she can't look beyond. But goddamn, they and she sure play well in rural and small town Ioway.

More guns on the streets and in the hands of "the people".....Gee, what can possibly go wrong with that?
How many people do you know willing to shoot someone else for any reason other than saving their lives? Just because we like guns doesn’t mean we want to shoot everyone, turn the news off.

I’m for this Wild West legislation but only if we hang people who shoot and kill the unarmed like they did back then. George Zimmerman swingin’.

The Linn County Sheriff was just interviewed and he's deeply opposed to this bill being signed.

I'll side with the Sheriff's opinion on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT