ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has ZERO Top 50 rushing offenses in the past decade

1,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=5.jpg

And yet we had two 1,000 yard backs averaging over 5 ypc in 2016.

If you look at the rankings, much of the top 25 consists of non P5 teams.

Add in Iowa’s pro style, methodical, grind it out offense with an average of about 75 offensive plays per game and you aren’t going to have huge rushing attempts to be in the top half of the rushing statistics. Add in the struggles of the zone blocking scheme Iowa has had, they might want to consider looking at Wisconsin’s scheme to improve on attempts per game and average yards per carry. Oh, it also helps to have four star talent in the backfield - Ball, White, Gordon, and Taylor.

Add in Iowa’s pro style, methodical, grind it out offense with an average of about 75 offensive plays per game and you aren’t going to have huge rushing attempts to be in the top half of the rushing statistics. Add in the struggles of the zone blocking scheme Iowa has had, they might want to consider looking at Wisconsin’s scheme to improve on attempts per game and average yards per carry. Oh, it also helps to have four star talent in the backfield - Ball, White, Gordon, and Taylor.
That is true.
People mention our offensive philosophy, but rarely mention Phil Parker when discussing scoring. Playing a safer bend don't break type d also takes plays from our offense and adds yards needed to score.

And no I'm not telling pp to change :)

Reactions: And1Hawk
Haven’t had the players to stretch the field and Greg Davis utilized horizontal passing schemes both of which allowed teams to stack the box against Iowa reducing rushing ability. Doesn’t matter which blocking scheme you use when you have 8-9 guys in the box consistently.

On the contrary! The 2019 Iowa Hawkeyes fielded one of the top 5 wide receiver corps in the history of the program. The 2020 corp (assuming there is a season) will be the single most talented group of the Ferentz regime. The 2009 team was great with DJK, Marvin and co. The 2002-2004 teams had some of the all time great Hawkeyes receivers.

But ISM, Brandon Smith and Tyrone Tracy?

Seriously, you don’t think Iowa has the players to stretch the field? You’re stoned. Trade Nate Stanley for Joe Burrow and Iowa is the 2019-20 National Champions. Appreciate Stanley’s contributions to the program but his deep ball accuracy is why Iowa didn’t average 40+ per game last year.

On the contrary! The 2019 Iowa Hawkeyes fielded one of the top 5 wide receiver corps in the history of the program. The 2020 corp (assuming there is a season) will be the single most talented group of the Ferentz regime. The 2009 team was great with DJK, Marvin and co. The 2002-2004 teams had some of the all time great Hawkeyes receivers.

Seriously, you don’t think Iowa has the players to stretch the field? You’re stoned. Trade Nate Stanley for Joe Burrow and Iowa is the 2019-20 National Champions. Appreciate Stanley’s contributions to the program but his deep ball accuracy is why Iowa didn’t average 40+ per game last year.

I like your enthusiasm but Iowa didn’t have the horses LSU had on both sides of the ball. Defense wins championships and that was aided by a great offense at LSU. Five first round draft choices if I am not mistaken.

And yet we had two 1,000 yard backs averaging over 5 ypc in 2016.

If you look at the rankings, much of the top 25 consists of non P5 teams.

Yeah heavy dose of context needed. My own opinion is that Iowa's rushing rankings are a combination of:

less than stellar running games. Iowa HAS struggled running the ball, and some years way more than others.
Lack of marquee backs. Need guys who can make big plays.
Lack of QB runners. I would argue Iowa's scheme actually hurts Iowa's rushing attack more than throwing. Many spread offenses run the ball very well, especially with the QB as a running threat. Sack yards are also factored in to the college rushing stats.

I like what we saw the last 4 games of 2019, I hope that is the offense going forward. If you look at how many snaps Stanley took out of shotgun, with 1 RB, 3 WR and 1 TE, against USC it seemed to be the majority of the offense. Get in shotgun on first and second down and you have the entire offense that is available to you. The reverses and the WR's in the running game are all available. I hope that is the Iowa offense going forward.

Yeah heavy dose of context needed. My own opinion is that Iowa's rushing rankings are a combination of:

less than stellar running games. Iowa HAS struggled running the ball, and some years way more than others.
Lack of marquee backs. Need guys who can make big plays.
Lack of QB runners. I would argue Iowa's scheme actually hurts Iowa's rushing attack more than throwing. Many spread offenses run the ball very well, especially with the QB as a running threat. Sack yards are also factored.
Having a quarterback that is a threat to gain chunks of yards on the ground is what we are missing most, IMO. Everyone having the ability to do everything, at least at an average level.

I hope Petras doesn't have heavy feet.

Reactions: final_flashx
Goodson/Sargent combo should be darn good this year. If Petras is as good as advertised, I still don't see huge rushing numbers.

ISM is poised to have a massive season. Was dialing it in at the end of the year.

Tracy will continue to get better and if he gets ball in space he's a big play waiting to happen.

Brandon Smith really had some great play last year. He's a little forgotten cause he missed 5 games last year but he was really good when healthy

Ragaini is the odd man out here and he's been very solid as well.

LaPorta as well.

Iowa's season comes down to how they protect the QB and how they get to the QB. If Iowa is disruptive in the backfield, this team should be really good

Reactions: mariner67
You see... I wonder if these stats just look at team total rushing or the actual RB position? If it's the team total, then I honestly don't expect Iowa to be in a top 50 ranking position very often because we don't run our QB and the sack yardage gets factored into the total team rushing yards

"On the contrary! The 2019 Iowa Hawkeyes fielded one of the top 5 wide receiver corps in the history of the program."

You'll always look great comparing yourself to your old self

Remember...Iowa's philosophy is to have a balanced offensive approach. This typically doesn't allow for big numbers either running or passing.

Reactions: Frosty7130
You see... I wonder if these stats just look at team total rushing or the actual RB position? If it's the team total, then I honestly don't expect Iowa to be in a top 50 ranking position very often because we don't run our QB and the sack yardage gets factored into the total team rushing yards

It's team rushing stats. Sack yards and kneel downs count against rushing stats. KF has long commented that sack yards should count against passing yards, like the NFL does it. But college counts sack yards against rushing yards. Again, Iowa overall has not been good running the ball the last decade, or at least not good enough/where they want to be. Iowa's backs (Goodson, Sargent, Young) averaged 4.8, 4.7, 5.3 ypc last year. Not great, not awful. Then you have Stanley with 76 rushes for 7 yards (that includes sacks and kneel downs). That's why Iowa's total ypc is 3.9.

2002, the gold standard for Iowa offense in the KF era, had Russell at 5.7 and Russell at 5.8 ypc. Huge difference was Banks 423 yards on 81 carries (that includes sack yards. He had 519 yards before sack yards are thrown in). 2002 team averaged 5.0 ypc. If you put Banks on Iowa 2019 instead of Stanley at 7 yards on 76 attempts, Iowa's ypc in 2019 is 4.81, not 3.9. Not quite 2002 levels, but closer.

Again, Iowa's rush offense needs to be better. But they will not do well in team rushing metrics until they get a QB who can run or the NCAA removes sack yards from rushing totals.

Iowa's rushing attack has been bad for years, that is no surprise. Mostly due to poor scheme, no star RBs and poor interior line play.

Reactions: amahawk
It's team rushing stats. Sack yards and kneel downs count against rushing stats. KF has long commented that sack yards should count against passing yards, like the NFL does it. But college counts sack yards against rushing yards. Again, Iowa overall has not been good running the ball the last decade, or at least not good enough/where they want to be. Iowa's backs (Goodson, Sargent, Young) averaged 4.8, 4.7, 5.3 ypc last year. Not great, not awful. Then you have Stanley with 76 rushes for 7 yards (that includes sacks and kneel downs). That's why Iowa's total ypc is 3.9.

2002, the gold standard for Iowa offense in the KF era, had Russell at 5.7 and Russell at 5.8 ypc. Huge difference was Banks 423 yards on 81 carries (that includes sack yards. He had 519 yards before sack yards are thrown in). 2002 team averaged 5.0 ypc. If you put Banks on Iowa 2019 instead of Stanley at 7 yards on 76 attempts, Iowa's ypc in 2019 is 4.81, not 3.9. Not quite 2002 levels, but closer.

Again, Iowa's rush offense needs to be better. But they will not do well in team rushing metrics until they get a QB who can run or the NCAA removes sack yards from rushing totals.

Yea that's what I'm saying, the QB position isn't going to help pad those rushing stats and quite honestly, KF's philosophy isn't ever going to lend itself to padding stats.... I mean, take a look at the Middle Tennessee St game for example. If there was ever a game where we were gonna put up 80 points, that would've been it. MTSU was so outmatched that I started feeling sorry for them and KF made it an effort to slow things down in the second half. We only had 4 possessions in the second half vs 6 possessions in the 1st half and 2 of those second half possessions were drives of 5 and a half minutes and 6 and a half minutes long. If KF really wanted to, the team could've put up 800 yards and at least 70 points, but KF has respect for the game, the other coaches and the other players on the field where he's not going to try to embarrass anyone and that's what I love about KF.

I'm not trying to say that our running game needs improvement, because yes, it has been mediocre recently but at the same time, we've had these conversations about the team's stats and all of us fans should know that we will never put up these outrageous totals because KF respects all aspects of the game and he's not going to embarrass another coach in order to make his numbers look good

Reactions: hawk263344
I'm not sure why this is surprising to anyone. It's pretty simple really.

1) Iowa has missed on some good RBs. Some good ones we got, didn't pan out like Garmon and Coe (if I remember correctly that he was to get a shot at RB). We have had some solid guys, but nobody at that next level.

2) Iowa's struggled in run blocking for a few years. We've had some great talent on the line, but so many of them are at different points in their development. Last year was a great example. Great tackles, solid center, and weak/inconsistent guard play.

3) Iowa's scheme is always going to limit where the offense ranks. It could certainly be more efficient, but there's going to be a cap when you're running 35-40 seconds off the play clock every play.

4) Iowa's had a less than stellar passing game, without the WR talent like many of us wish we had. This allows teams to play much more aggressively against the run.

Despite these, we've done alright. Could certainly be better, but we've had success. Lets hope this season is another step forward with better line play, Goodson, and talented receivers.

I think we will see more big plays this year(if they play). The Playbook from the USC game is a good blueprint. We have legit speed with ISM, TT, and Goodson. More big running plays changes the numbers.

Implosive and ball control. We want to start on our own 1 yard line and gain about 3.4 yards per carry and eat the entire clock.

and let me tell you about Chuck Knoll and the Steelers ..........................................

If that's correct, it's an approach that doesn't make much sense, does it?

Seems to make perfect sense to me. Strive to be balanced, keep the defense guessing, and take what they give you. Some games the run might be there, sometimes it might not so the pass gets more emphasis. It keeps Iowa from being one dimensional and dovetails nicely with the overall defensive philosophy.

If that's correct, it's an approach that doesn't make much sense, does it?

Ummmm....why not? The idea is that it makes it difficult for the opposing D to key on the run or the pass, since there's a relatively equal chance of either on any given play (minus the obvious 3rd and long passing situations). The reason you don't get great stats in running or passing is because they're split pretty evenly as opposed to a team like Wiscy that's super run-heavy. They're going to have gaudy running stats because they favor the run so much. Also, as noted a few posts before yours, they also run the the score vs non-con patsies, further padding their stats.

Seems to make perfect sense to me. Strive to be balanced, keep the defense guessing, and take what they give you. Some games the run might be there, sometimes it might not so the pass gets more emphasis. It keeps Iowa from being one dimensional and dovetails nicely with the overall defensive philosophy.

"and take what they give you"
I prefer 'Scratch where it itches' :)

It has been ridiculous to watch teams load the box against us every 1st and 2nd down. They will pay for that this year. Just too many options on offense.

That's some strong kool-aid you're drinking

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT