ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa House Committee PASSES Convention of States resolution

Sarcastic Good Luck With That GIF by ION

Reactions: cigaretteman
I don't know what that is but I'm guessing Dems hate it and Rs like it.

I don't know what that is but I'm guessing Dems hate it and Rs like it.
One of the ways to propose amendments is for 2/3 of states to call for a convention. And while the written intent of this recent movement is to propose good-sounding amendments like balanced budget, term limits, etc., it’s not hard to envision those same people will propose banning all abortion, criminalizing homosexuality, and all the other social issue BS.

And because Article V is pretty vague into how the actual procedure works, the group that takes charge will get to set the convention rules.

And yes it’s all funded by right-wing groups. It’s absolutely a partisan thing.

Having said all that, ratification of amendments is very difficult with 3/4 states requiring passage. But state legislatures are generally more conservative so it’s not impossible either.

On things as extreme as criminalizing homosexuality or banning all abortion, the right would not be able to even get support for that in their own party in one state, let alone 2/3 > 3/4.

I'm all for term limits and balanced budget, but it seems much more likely to get Congress to move on that than for that many states to get on board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT