ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa House passes largest teacher pay increase in state history

$883/month for HDHP premium plus a $400/month contribution to my HSA. Add in dental, vision, voluntary life, and DCFSA and I'm just under $1800/month.

But yeah, I'm totally making that up to impress people because paying a lot for insurance is awesome.

You can’t call your HSA contributions health insurance dumb phuck.

You educate?

What world do you live in where you think kids are getting paid that much and how much are adults making in that world?

Plus teachers will be making 50k and working 9-10 months a year.

You can get 19/hr at Kwik Star in the metro starting.

You can’t call your HSA contributions health insurance dumb phuck.

You educate?
Lol. I use it to pay our deductible which we easily meet every year solely for health insurance related costs. Absolutely close enough.

Plus our $1500 deductible plan is $1156/month so same difference.

Reactions: Scruddy
Again how many hours do you think a coach works for that $4k basketball job?
Hours at practice
Hours in buses
Hours waiting for your game
Hours watching film
Hours in open gym
Hours in the weightroom
Hours at summer camp
Hours at coaching clinics
Hours at all conference meetings
Hours working little kids camps
Hours working little kids tournaments
Hours washing laundry
Hours cleaning water bottles gyms floors

All for $4k with the bonus of fielding complaints because Johnny isn’t playing because he didn’t show up all summer for open gym and doesn’t learn the plays.
Laundry? Cleaning water bottles? You really reached deep on this response lol

Laundry? Cleaning water bottles? You really reached deep on this response lol
What do you do for a living and how much do you get paid? I'd like to critique whether you earn your salary.

What do you do for a living and how much do you get paid? I'd like to critique whether you earn your salary.
One of my gigs is literally coaching a high school sport lol just finished my 14th year as a w2 employee of one of the biggest public school districts in MO.

Btw, I take 10% of my contract (for liability protection) and the other 90% goes to my friends/other coaches who are teachers and need the money more than I do.

My day job is quite unrelated, but I assure you, the amount of laundry being done is just incredible.

One of my gigs is literally coaching a high school sport lol just finished my 14th year as a w2 employee of one of the biggest public school districts in MO.

Btw, I take 10% of my contract (for liability protection) and the other 90% goes to my friends/other coaches who are teachers and need the money more than I do.

My day job is quite unrelated, but I assure you, the amount of laundry being done is just incredible.
Are you in charge of washing team uniforms?

The last governor that cut educational funding in Iowa was a Democrat.
Yes it was...Culver made “across the board” budget cuts to balance the state’s budget once, as required by state law. His position was quite simple...”across the board cuts” were more fair, than him going into the budget and choosing “winners and losers” to balance the budget...and Northern, teacher salaries were not affected one iota. If you are going to tell the story, tell the whole story. Branstad several times had to do the same thing when facing budget shortfalls, except he always chose to go into the budget and “line item” his specific cuts....both methods are completely legal as they both accomplish what Iowa’s Constitution requires...”balancing” the state’s budget.

Coaches at small Iowa schools likr @Bulldogs1974 wash team uniforms. It might not be the most difficult part of the job, but it is time consuming and certainly should be included in the amount of time fulfilling his duties as a coach.
They should try delegating. I'm not saying this as if to day coaching is an easy gig. I was mostly giggling at the end items on that original list.

They should try delegating. I'm not saying this as if to day coaching is an easy gig. I was mostly giggling at the end items on that original list.
Delegate to who, school policy might be against students washing uniforms to prevent loss or damage. Small schools work with a tight budget and uniforms aren't cheap.

Trying to catch up

Do school districts pay none, some, most of health insurance? How widely does it vary in Iowa?(out of state please refrain from responding, too much information)

In determining what an approximate hourly wage would be how many weeks are people using? Be honest as you skew either way to support your premise.

What are the details on IPERS? Contribution levels etc.

Commentary - coaching isn’t done for the money, if you are doing it for the money then you made a bad decision. Coaching is a choice, not required. Don’t use it as a boo-hoo, poor me platform. Don’t like it, don’t do it. Do it for the right reasons. Not a required activity.

Trying to catch up
Do school districts pay none, some, most of health insurance? How widely does it vary in Iowa?(out of state please refrain from responding, too much information)

It varies by district. Some districts insurance costs are lower so they are able to fund more or all of the costs. Others have very high premiums and the districts are only able to partially fund health insurance.

In determining what an approximate hourly wage would be how many weeks are people using? Be honest as you skew either way to support your premise.
It depends on the contract. Some teaching jobs are extended contracts, but at my former school most of us were contracted for 191 days.

What are the details on IPERS? Contribution levels etc.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Lol. I use it to pay our deductible which we easily meet every year solely for health insurance related costs. Absolutely close enough.

Plus our $1500 deductible plan is $1156/month so same difference.

Many people face high insurance costs, not just teachers.

Then that's the fault of the coach. That's the athlete's job.

LMAO 100% agree.

I live in small town Iowa, we are talking a population of 5k. I can tell you right now, there’s not one coach that washes uniforms, water bottles, floors, etc..

Absolutely amazes me when people chime in with zero knowledge on a subject. Just like the guy saying teachers collect unemployment in the summer.

Reactions: Scruddy
Then that's the fault of the coach. That's the athlete's job.
No it isn’t...not unless you want those Red uniforms to turn pink halfway thru the season....
I did this a couple of years in DSM and about half my kids parents did not have access to a washing machine, other than a laundromat....I could do them 1) at home or 2) at the school much more efficiently...but I had to see they got washed after games and I was responsible for how they looked appearance-wise.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
LMAO 100% agree.

I live in small town Iowa, we are talking a population of 5k. I can tell you right now, there’s not one coach that washes uniforms, water bottles, floors, etc..

Absolutely amazes me when people chime in with zero knowledge on a subject. Just like the guy saying teachers collect unemployment in the summer.
We certainly don't wash uniforms after every game in my district, but we do get them professionally cleaned at the end of the year because most kids/parents are too irresponsible to properly maintain them during the season.

But we do wash water bottles every week along with the water coolers, sweep floors, help paint field lines, wash towels, etc. I'm sure you don't know about it because most coaches don't say a word about all of the extra stuff they do, but it's definitely happening in your district.

But, it's part of the job and we know what we're singing up for. Other duties as assigned, as administrators love to say.

I taught at a PK-12 school for 34 years, was the teacher association president for a time, and the head negotiator for my last 5 years. What is your experience with teaching or education?

I taught at a PK-12 school for 34 years, was the teacher association president for a time, and the head negotiator for my last 5 years. What is your experience with teaching or education?

Well my mom taught her whole life. My MIL just retired a couple of years ago. Am highly involved with sports and many want me to coach. Have very good friends that are principals, teachers, coaches. Do tax returns for MANY involved in teaching/coaching.

I could keep going.

This is Iowa City's.
https://resources.finalsite.net/ima...bomdatmzkez/Insurance_Premiums_-_Teachers.pdf

Some school districts pay it all others are crap.

This is similar to the big DSM metro schools. The teachers insurance is paid for by the school but if you add a spouse/children then you will pay $900+ per month. They don’t really want family on the plans.

As far as starting pay, new teachers currently will start at just barely over $50k. Again, big metro school.

Well my mom taught her whole life. My MIL just retired a couple of years ago. Am highly involved with sports and many want me to coach. Have very good friends that are principals, teachers, coaches. Do tax returns for MANY involved in teaching/coaching.

I could keep going.
So none then.

This is similar to the big DSM metro schools. The teachers insurance is paid for by the school but if you add a spouse/children then you will pay $900+ per month. They don’t really want family on the plans.

As far as starting pay, new teachers currently will start at just barely over $50k. Again, big metro school.
900 per month? Hopefully that is it and there are no deductibles to satisfy.

IPERS is great, but I pay over $1200/month for health insurance. I wouldn't call that incredibly good.

In @kwik44 world that's good enough so just shut up and take it. Also IPERs is calculated by a percentage your 3 largest salaries. Wouldn't be of much value if base is $40k annually

Reactions: bojihawk44
Reasonable co-pays on office visits but deductibles for families still over $3,000.
Damn, that’s not cool. I always thought you you had gold plated health care, but maybe I am misremembering my MIL’s sitch 20 years ago and also, I think my FIL was on his own plan through work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT