ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa House passes largest teacher pay increase in state history

Just curious but is there a max on teacher salaries in most districts? What would a 20 year veteran teacher make?

It also depends on your education level (lanes). Some (big schools) are BA, B+15 hours of education, BA+30, MA, MA+15, MA+30, MA+45. Then you have steps down (years) which can go to 20-25.

Damn, that’s not cool. I always thought you you had gold plated health care, but maybe I am misremembering my MIL’s sitch 20 years ago and also, I think my FIL was on his own plan through work.

Everyone had good coverage, low deductibles, and cheap insurance 20+ years ago. As with everyone else, insurance has skyrocketed and schools are no exception. They are at the mercy of the health insurers as they can’t be self funded.

Damn, that’s not cool. I always thought you you had gold plated health care, but maybe I am misremembering my MIL’s sitch 20 years ago and also, I think my FIL was on his own plan through work.
When I started teaching our health insurance was great. Minimal cost to teachers with $100 deductible. As the staff aged insurance costs started skyrocketing and deductibles grew along with teacher contributions. It's entirely possible that your MIL had a great plan for a low cost 20 years ago.

Everyone had good coverage, low deductibles, and cheap insurance 20+ years ago. As with everyone else, insurance has skyrocketed and schools are no exception. They are at the mercy of the health insurers as they can’t be self funded.
Thanks Obama

It's comments like this where you reveal yourself.
You have a bad attitude.
Huh? High school kids are pretty dumb when it comes to stuff like that, I was certainly no exception when I was that age.

That's pretty widely known and accepted, especially among those of us who actually work in education.

Reactions: gohawks50
I’ve been in 3 different districts, the most I’ve seen a family plan cost is $1,300. The least, $950. Believe it. But don’t worry, IF we get a yearly raise, which is rare, it’s immediately wiped out by the annual increase in insurance.

I feel bad for the smaller districts, they are definitely at a huge disadvantage in salaries compared to any growing large school.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Huh? High school kids are pretty dumb when it comes to stuff like that, I was certainly no exception when I was that age.

That's pretty widely known and accepted, especially among those of us who actually work in education.

"because most kids/parents are too irresponsible to properly maintain them during the season."

LMAO 100% agree.

I live in small town Iowa, we are talking a population of 5k. I can tell you right now, there’s not one coach that washes uniforms, water bottles, floors, etc..

Absolutely amazes me when people chime in with zero knowledge on a subject. Just like the guy saying teachers collect unemployment in the summer.
My kids attend a 1A school. Football players wash their own. Basketball, the coach requires all uniforms to stay at the school and he washes them. He’s doing it to protect the expensive uniforms and keep them looking consistent.

It's an unfortunate reality. School property just isn't valued all that much by kids and parents.

Most may have been an overreach, but it's certainly at least half.
Well, at least half is mostly, unless it is 50% on the button. I’m sure though he will respond he does not believe you based on neither anecdotal evidence nor anything published. He just likes to give uninformed opinions.

A max? No, at least not in our district.

Right now, I'd guess a teacher with 20 years experience is making roughly $65k not including extra duty contracts obviously.
Damn! In NC, you hit $55,100 base at year 26 and there are no raises...forever. Annual raise for the first 15 years...$53,060 for the next decade...$55,100 for the rest of your career. Your first year is Year 0 so the Year 25 number is your 26th year on the job.

Below are the per-month figures for a ten-month contract per the state of NC.

8imwmt.jpg

The Leandro court decision is forcing them to heavily subsidize supplements for the poorest counties, but the GOP controls the state supreme court now so they're looking to get that decision reversed.

Damn! In NC, you hit $55,100 base at year 26 and there are no raises...forever. Annual raise for the first 15 years...$53,060 for the next decade...$55,100 for the rest of your career. Your first year is Year 0 so the Year 25 number is your 26th year on the job.

Below are the per-month figures for a ten-month contract per the state of NC.

8imwmt.jpg

The Leandro court decision is forcing them to heavily subsidize supplements for the poorest counties, but the GOP controls the state supreme court now so they're looking to get that decision reversed.
How many lanes do you have like BA+, MA, MA+? Do any of them reach near 65,000 at the bottom?

How many lanes do you have like BA+, MA, MA+? Do any of them reach near 65,000 at the bottom?
MA gets you to $60,610 @ year 25. No more raises forever.

Advanced degree/doctorate gets you an extra $1,260...a year.

Getting your NBTPS cert adds 12% to those. NC used to pay for that (it's several thousand dollars) and NC had the highest number of national board-certified teachers in the country but that got cut by the NCGOP.

My district raised its supplement substantially a few years ago thanks to our citizens voting for a tax increase on themselves so in my final year, - year 33 - I'll finally crack $65,000/year. :)

• Sad
A positive and significant step for teachers, brought to you by a Republican governor and Republican legislature, and people still bitch and whine.

Now tell us what the law of supply and demand tells us about what parochial and private schools will need to do to compete with starting pay of public school teachers.

Then analyze what parochial and private schools must do in response to having to pay increased salary for their teachers.

And then look at where that money will be coming from.

Your revered governor just signed off on a bill that is an attempt to put lipstick on the pig that your revered political party has made out of public education.

That's still a tidy sum for babysitting 9 months a year.

How quickly one forgets the virulent screaming by the MAGA base that if schools didn’t re-open during COVID, parents couldn’t go to work and the US economy would crash.

A couple of years ago, schools and teachers were necessary to save the U.S. from economic ruin.

Now schools and teachers are back to being nothing more than “babysitters.”

#MAGAlogic

Now tell us what the law of supply and demand tells us about what parochial and private schools will need to do to compete with starting pay of public school teachers.

Then analyze what parochial and private schools must do in response to having to pay increased salary for their teachers.

Your revered governor just signed off on a bill that is an attempt to put lipstick on the pig that your revered political party has made out of public education.
Our NCGOP and GOP governor back in the early 2010's passed "the largest teacher pay increase" as well. They raised starting teacher salaries substantially while barely touching those of veteran teachers. They funded it, in part, by eliminating longevity bonuses worth thousands of dollars a year to veteran teachers. Every other state employee...every single one...still gets that bonus. Including the staffers who work in the legislature for the NCGOP. It was eliminated for teachers only. This year, it would be worth nearly $3,000 to me. Over the past 10 years, it has cost me well over $20K.

So, @NorthernHawkeye , you'll excuse me for looking at this with a very skeptical eye.

Reactions: bojihawk44
That's still a tidy sum for babysitting 9 months a year.
Let's do the math.

50,000 salary divided by 191 days equals $263 a day.
$263 divided by 20 students equals $13 per day per student.
$13 divided by 7 hours per day equals $1.85 per hour

According to Google the average babysitting cost per hour in Iowa is $15. Doesn't look like $50,000 is such a tidy sum after all.

Reactions: Tom Paris
MA gets you to $60,610 @ year 25. No more raises forever.

Advanced degree/doctorate gets you an extra $1,260...a year.

Getting your NBTPS cert adds 12% to those. NC used to pay for that (it's several thousand dollars) and NC had the highest number of national board-certified teachers in the country but that got cut by the NCGOP.

My district raised its supplement substantially a few years ago thanks to our citizens voting for a tax increase on themselves so in my final year, - year 33 - I'll finally crack $65,000/year. :)

What size of school?

Let's do the math.

According to Google the average babysitting cost per hour in Iowa is $15. Doesn't look like $50,000 is such a tidy sum after all.
Our contract is for 210 days. I'll do a week after school is over preparing my 30 student tech team for our national conference then another week at the conference. Unpaid.

I don't do the math anymore.

Our contract is for 210 days. I'll do a week after school is over preparing my 30 student tech team for our national conference then another week at the conference. Unpaid.

I don't do the math anymore.
I was being generous. No one could do the job by just showing up during contract hours. I also didn't include the hours we were required to be at school in the evenings or weekends for concerts, PT conferences, taking tickets, etc.

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

Let's do the math.

Babysitters don't get health insurance nor do they get a IPERS retirement among all the other perks teachers get.

Pretty great overall gig for babysitting.

Delegate to who, school policy might be against students washing uniforms to prevent loss or damage. Small schools work with a tight budget and uniforms aren't cheap.
Correct. I can’t afford one kid ruining his uniform. Or have them forgotten on game day. Washing is minor but has to be done but why in the f$ck do I need to qualify what a coach does to some tool like scrubby. He obviously doesnt coach because he wouldn’t even question what I’m saying.
I’m guessing scrubbys other job is keeping track of his handles on message boards to spew misinformation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT