ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa hs finals

My OW is Thomsen. Last time he wrestled West it was a 1 point victory. He destroyed him in the finals tonight. Dominated him

The Andersen match shows why you don't pick the OW after 170. Wreidt leads that race at the moment.

I enjoyed him "silencing the haters." He's rated nationally and won a couple state titles. Who exactly are your haters, kid?
Exactly, rated nationally and won a couple state titles so act like you've been there before.

In freestyle or what? Hasn't Gremmel been at Andersen's weight the last two years? I think this was his first state title.

Hmmm...you got me there. I don't fault the kid nearly as much now. Certainly over the top but not as much as I had thought.

Big upset at 182 in 2A, Erickson with the pin. That would be Cole Erickson's, who wrestles for Iowa, brother.

Tough go for Baumler, after hurting his knee last night. Hate to see a guy's last hurrah end like that.

Tough go for Baumler, after hurting his knee last night. Hate to see a guy's last hurrah end like that.
Yes, but love to see it end that way for Erickson as a senior and for Coach Cummings who was inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight and is retiring. He got his state championship last year. His first state champ was Erickson's dad. Also, Erickson was hurt yesterday by an illegal slam, got back up and continued, but had to stop shortly after because he may have been feeling the effects of the slam. Good thing he's was alright.

Yes, but love to see it end that way for Erickson as a senior and for Coach Cummings who was inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight and is retiring. He got his state championship last year. His first state champ was Erickson's dad. Also, Erickson was hurt yesterday by an illegal slam, got back up and continued, but had to stop shortly after because he may have been feeling the effects of the slam. Good thing he's was alright.

Great way to go out for Erickson and Cummings, for sure.

Yup...Gremmel did his best Gene Simmons impression. He'll fit in great at ISU.

gene-simmons.jpg

Yes, but love to see it end that way for Erickson as a senior and for Coach Cummings who was inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight and is retiring.

There are a couple of communities in NE Iowa who don't share that opinion. With all due respect, of course.

I'll take Happel and his 154-1 record, 4 state titles, Cadet national title, FILA national title and 5th place at Junior nationals, with #4 national ranking with intermat.

Plus Carter moved up to accommodate the team...they had finalists at 132, 138,145 and they almost won it. The kid he wrestled in the finals was more built and solid then him. Zachary looks good but kind of reminds me of Papabear's kid...still a lot of meat to put on them bones. I think he would be great at Iowa, Nebraska, or Mizzou for when Daniel Lewis moves up to 174 in a few years.

Plus Carter moved up to accommodate the team...they had finalists at 132, 138,145 and they almost won it. The kid he wrestled in the finals was more built and solid then him. Zachary looks good but kind of reminds me of Papabear's kid...still a lot of meat to put on them bones. I think he would be great at Iowa, Nebraska, or Mizzou for when Daniel Lewis moves up to 174 in a few years.

Agreed. There's no doubt in my mind carter can make 38. He looked tiny compared to his opponent. Why cut weight if you don't have to? The rest of the world wishes they could do that also.

First time I have watched Thomsen. Holy cow. This kid is special... How about we bring in Thomsen and Teske to don the black and gold. Thomsen really impressed me. I think he and Teske look to be legit 4-timers.

I went I high school with Teske's dad. I believe his dad is a Hawk fan. Anyone know what are chances may be with seeing these two in Iowa City!?

Teske is apparently an Iowa lean. Cody from Oklahoma wants him somethin' fierce. Just rumors I hear around Fort Dodge. Nothing substantial.

Teske is apparently an Iowa lean. Cody from Oklahoma wants him somethin' fierce. Just rumors I hear around Fort Dodge. Nothing substantial.

Cody offered on Cook as well so he must like Ft Dodge. Lots of good kids coming up there but SE Polk must have a hell of a youth program. One guy graduates and the other steps in to place it seems.

Teske is a goer and by the end of it, should be able to compete with the best in the country. Woods lost to Hayes tonight. Renteria won it

Reactions: DirkTang1
Cody offered on Cook as well so he must like Ft Dodge. Lots of good kids coming up there but SE Polk must have a hell of a youth program. One guy graduates and the other steps in to place it seems.

Teske is a goer and by the end of it, should be able to compete with the best in the country. Woods lost to Hayes tonight. Renteria won it
Well, like I said, they are only rumors. I won't pretend like I'm connected to the program in any way. Cody would be stupid not to put a bug in Teske's ear. Especially when he comes to watch Cook during the SEC Polk dual.

The way SE Polk competed the last three days says a lot about their program. Lots of guys exceeding expectations. "Next man in" mentality is working well within that program.

Edit- Maybe he is using Cook as an investment to get Teske? Cook is pretty special fwiw in my opinion. He's wasting his time with the football aspirations. He's not big enough, period. He's a wrestler, and needs to embrace it.

IMO of the guys who wrestled tonight and aren't yet committed to a school, the two biggest gets for Iowa would be Thomsen and Lyon. Thomsen was a beast -- just non-stop action and relentless leg attacks from neutral. He looks like the real deal so get him in the room and figure out where the heck he fits in the lineup from there. Lyon was also non-stop action and lots of great attacks AND he would give Iowa another option at the upper weights, and the future options up there are a little hazy. Getting someone with so much bonus point potential at those weights would be a nice plus, too.

I'd put Teske and Zachary right behind them, as they both looked really impressive, but they also seem to project at weights where Iowa already has some guys committed or young and on the roster. (This assumes that Zachary bulks up to 157 or bigger in college, as suggested. If he can stick at 149, he could be a very interesting option to replace Sorensen in a few years.)

And Wreidt definitely looks like a guy to keep tabs on, too. His match with Anderson was awesome and he looked great in that match. His timeline would also fit pretty well with Stoll's -- he'd be a RS FR when Stoll was a SR. (Obviously Bradley might have something to say about replacing Stoll as well.)

IMO of the guys who wrestled tonight and aren't yet committed to a school, the two biggest gets for Iowa would be Thomsen and Lyon. Thomsen was a beast -- just non-stop action and relentless leg attacks from neutral. He looks like the real deal so get him in the room and figure out where the heck he fits in the lineup from there. Lyon was also non-stop action and lots of great attacks AND he would give Iowa another option at the upper weights, and the future options up there are a little hazy. Getting someone with so much bonus point potential at those weights would be a nice plus, too.

I'd put Teske and Zachary right behind them, as they both looked really impressive, but they also seem to project at weights where Iowa already has some guys committed or young and on the roster. (This assumes that Zachary bulks up to 157 or bigger in college, as suggested. If he can stick at 149, he could be a very interesting option to replace Sorensen in a few years.)

And Wreidt definitely looks like a guy to keep tabs on, too. His match with Anderson was awesome and he looked great in that match. His timeline would also fit pretty well with Stoll's -- he'd be a RS FR when Stoll was a SR. (Obviously Bradley might have something to say about replacing Stoll as well.)

Well said.

Well, like I said, they are only rumors. I won't pretend like I'm connected to the program in any way. Cody would be stupid not to put a bug in Teske's ear. Especially when he comes to watch Cook during the SEC Polk dual.

The way SE Polk competed the last three days says a lot about their program. Lots of guys exceeding expectations. "Next man in" mentality is working well within that program.

Edit- Maybe he is using Cook as an investment to get Teske? Cook is pretty special fwiw in my opinion. He's wasting his time with the football aspirations. He's not big enough, period. He's a wrestler, and needs to embrace it.

I hadn't see a lot of Cook on the mat...just the two matches. He is built like a Tank but pretty short for a 197 pounder and not very dynamic which one would have to be to get under college 197 pounders who are tall and built like tanks as well. Morgan McIntosh would be the closest comparison but MM is quick and comes at you hard. Admittedly, I have only seen the two matches, though. Does he freestyle or dedicate his summers to football?

I hadn't see a lot of Cook on the mat...just the two matches. He is built like a Tank but pretty short for a 197 pounder and not very dynamic which one would have to be to get under college 197 pounders who are tall and built like tanks as well. Morgan McIntosh would be the closest comparison but MM is quick and comes at you hard. Admittedly, I have only seen the two matches, though. Does he freestyle or dedicate his summers to football?

Pretty sure he plays baseball. I have yet to see or hear anything about freestyle from him. Maybe his pops could throw us a bone here?

The two Waukee 106 pounders are pretty darn good also. They have done exceptionally well on the national level.

Reeves is also a stud. He had a slip up in the semis but he is the real deal.

I think avid wrestling fans care. Fargo does a pretty good job of separating the wheat from the chaff and exposing guys who have great records but wrestle weak in-state competition.

I'd say anyone closely connected to the sport, as a fan and certainly as a coach, cares quite a bit, frankly.

I'm not saying Teske isn't the real deal, but to be highly coveted by D1 programs, guys do usually need to prove themselves on the national stage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT