QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities

ROUND OF 16​

7 p.m., Friday, October 27​

CLASS 5A​

POD A
Linn-Mar, Marion (4-5) at Southeast Polk (9-0)
Cedar Rapids, Kennedy (6-3) at Cedar Falls (6-3)
POD B
Sioux City, East (5-4) vs. Dowling Catholic, W.D.M. (8-1), at Williams Stadium
Johnston (5-4) at Ankeny (6-3)
POD C
Valley, W.D.M. (4-5) at Pleasant Valley (8-1)
Prairie, Cedar Rapids (5-4) at Waukee (7-2)
POD D
Ankeny Centennial (5-4) at Waukee Northwest (7-2)
Iowa City, City High (6-3) at Bettendorf (7-2)

CLASS 4A​

POD A
Newton (6-3) at Western Dubuque (8-1)
Decorah (6-3) at North Scott (7-2)
POD B
LeMars (7-2) at Lewis Central (7-2)
ADM (6-3) at Denison-Schleswig (7-2)
POD C
Norwalk (5-4) at Glenwood (7-2)
Pella (6-3) at Bondurant-Farrar (7-2)
POD D
Ballard (5-4) at North Polk (7-2)
Indianola (6-3) at Xavier, Cedar Rapids (7-2)

CLASS 3A​

POD A
Harlan Community (6-3) at Creston (9-0)
Nevada (7-2) at Webster City (7-2)
POD B
Fort Madison (6-3) at Solon (8-1)
Assumption, Davenport (7-2) at West Delaware (6-3)
POD C
Humboldt (5-4) at Williamsburg (8-1)
Independence (7-2) at Mount Vernon (8-1)
POD D
Algona (6-3) at Sioux Center (8-1)
Bishop Heelan, Sioux City (8-1) at Clear Lake (8-1)

CLASS 2A​

POD A
Roland-Story (7-2) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (9-0)
Clarinda (7-2) at Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (7-2)
POD B
Union, LaPorte City (3-6) at Van Meter (9-0)
Mid-Prairie, Wellman (5-4) at PCM (7-2)
POD C
Western Christian, Hull (7-2) at West Lyon (8-1)
New Hampton (4-5) at Spirit Lake (8-1)
POD D
Jesup (6-3) at Monticello (8-1)
Camanche (5-4) at Mediapolis (7-2)

CLASS 1A​

POD A
Pella Christian (7-2) at Grundy Center (9-0)
Dike-New Hartford (6-3) at Sigourney/Keota (8-1)
POD B
AHSTW (6-3) at Underwood (8-1)
Treynor (8-1) at OABCIG (7-2)
POD C
Sumner-Fredericksburg (8-1) at Emmetsburg (7-2)
Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (7-2) at South Hamilton (8-1)
POD D
West Branch (6-3) at MFL MarMac (8-1)
Wilton (8-1) at Regina, Iowa City (8-1)

CLASS A​

POD A
Lake Mills (7-2) at Saint Ansgar (9-0)
East Buchanan (7-2) at Lisbon (9-0)
POD B
MMCRU (7-2) at Woodbury Central (9-0)
Logan-Magnolia (8-1) vs. Akron-Westfield (8-1), at LeMars
POD C
West Hancock (8-1) at Starmont (8-1)
Maquoketa Valley (7-2) at Wapsie Valley (8-1)
POD D
Central Decatur (6-3) at Madrid (9-0)
Lynnville-Sully (8-1) at ACGC (9-0)

EIGHT-PLAYER​

POD A
Moravia (8-2) at Winfield-Mount Union (9-0)
WACO (7-1) at Don Bosco, Gilbertville (8-1)
POD B
Exira-EHK (6-3) at Bedford (9-0)
Lenox (8-1) at Audubon (8-1)
POD C
West Bend-Mallard (7-2) at CAM, Anita (9-0)
St. Mary’s, Remsen (9-0) at Bishop Garrigan, Algona (8-1)
POD D
Iowa Valley (7-2) at Clarksville (10-0)
Gladbrook-Reinbeck (8-1) at Central City (8-1)

City High had a great win at Bettendorf last night, and has to go right back at them.

quarterfinals set

CLASS 5A​

POD A
Cedar Falls (7-3) at Southeast Polk (10-0)
POD B
Ankeny (7-3) vs. Dowling Catholic, W.D.M. (9-1), at Williams Stadium
POD C
Valley, W.D.M. (5-5) at Waukee (8-2)
POD D
Ankeny Centennial (6-4) at Bettendorf (8-2)

CLASS 4A​

POD A
North Scott (8-2) at Western Dubuque (9-1)
POD B
ADM (7-3) at Lewis Central (8-2)
POD C
Bondurant-Farrar (8-2) at Glenwood (8-2)
POD D
Xavier, Cedar Rapids, (8-2) at North Polk (8-2)

CLASS 3A​

POD A
Webster City (8-2) at Creston (10-0)
POD B
West Delaware (7-3) at Solon (9-1)
POD C
Mount Vernon (9-1) at Williamsburg (9-1)
POD D
Bishop Heelan, Sioux City (9-1) at Sioux Center (9-1)

CLASS 2A​

POD A
Kuemper Catholic, Carroll (8-2) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (10-0)
POD B
Van Meter (10-0) at PCM (8-2)
POD C
West Lyon (9-1) at Spirit Lake (9-1)
POD D
Monticello (9-1) at Mediapolis (8-2)

CLASS 1A​

POD A
Dike-New Hartford (7-3) at Grundy Center (10-0)
POD B
Underwood (9-1) at OABCIG (8-2)
POD C
Sumner-Fredericksburg (9-1) at Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (8-2)
POD D
Regina, Iowa City (9-1) at MFL MarMac (9-1)

CLASS A​

POD A
East Buchanan (8-2) at Saint Ansgar (10-0)
POD B
Logan-Magnolia (9-1) at Woodbury Central (10-0)
POD C
West Hancock (9-1) at Wapsie Valley (9-1)
POD D
Madrid (10-0) at ACGC (10-0)

EIGHT-PLAYER​

POD A
Winfield-Mount Union (10-0) at Don Bosco, Gilbertville (9-1)
POD B
Lenox (9-1) at Bedford (10-0)
POD C
CAM, Anita (10-0) at Bishop Garrigan, Algona (9-1)
POD D
Gladbrook-Reinbeck (9-1) at Clarksville (11-0)

It’s interesting how fast is change looking at those playoff teams. Schools I played against just 25 years ago now span from 3A to 8-man.
I used to be able to look at matchups all across Iowa and decipher the schools easily. With so much consolidation it's getting pretty hard.

Des Moines suburbs dominating 5A… again. (Go Ankeny!)

I get that the Des Moines schools (East, Roosevelt, Lincoln, Hoover, North) have high enrollments, but I think they should be dropped to 3A or 4A in football. They’re NEVER going to compete with the suburban powers. EVER.

Let them all play each other every year, maybe schedule 1 game each against a suburb school (Ankeny, SEP, Downling, Waukee, etc) then all other games against smaller, rural schools who they MIGHT be competitive with. I say might because a lot of those smaller schools are damn good and would probably also kick the sh!t out of the DSM city schools.

They have to do something. They have the numbers, but where are all the athletes?

I get that the Des Moines schools (East, Roosevelt, Lincoln, Hoover, North) have high enrollments, but I think they should be dropped to 3A or 4A in football. They’re NEVER going to compete with the suburban powers. EVER.

Let them all play each other every year, maybe schedule 1 game each against a suburb school (Ankeny, SEP, Downling, Waukee, etc) then all other games against smaller, rural schools who they MIGHT be competitive with. I say might because a lot of those smaller schools are damn good and would probably also kick the sh!t out of the DSM city schools.

They have to do something. They have the numbers, but where are all the athletes?
Hoover and North were in 4A this year because of the reduced lunch multiplier but they still got manhandled because teams like Indianola and Bondurant are still damn good.

The reduced lunch idea was a good start but feels like there needs to almost be a form of relegation. North and Hoover would get worked even by schools like Madrid and ACGC.

Tbh, none of the 5A schools have much, if any, shot against the Des Moines schools. CF has a good team and will most likely get worked by SE Polk next week. We don’t have the depth to compete with the suburban Des Moines schools, just like the majority of the rest of the state. Oh well, that’s why they play the games.

You have to keep them in 5a. Some years just don’t have the athletes. My sons school is the smallest 5a school in Cedar Rapids Washington. The largest 5a school is 3 times the size. I feel as if that gap is too large. Maybe I’m biased.

A lot more $$$ out in the 'burbs

Tbh, none of the 5A schools have much, if any, shot against the Des Moines schools. CF has a good team and will most likely get worked by SE Polk next week. We don’t have the depth to compete with the suburban Des Moines schools, just like the majority of the rest of the state. Oh well, that’s why they play the games.

Cyclical. Prairie and Linn Mar are big and also growing fast. Those schools have money as does PV further east.

Cyclical. Prairie and Linn Mar are big and also growing fast. Those schools have money as does PV further east.
Linn Mar and Prairie are some of the largest schools in the state but they can’t compete with the DM school. Kennedy has a better program than Prairie and Linn Mar.

Linn Mar and Prairie are some of the largest schools in the state but they can’t compete with the DM school. Kennedy has a better program than Prairie and Linn Mar.

They could if they put as much into it. Prairie has no tradition. Kennedy does have a better program and has been sending kids to the UI fairly consistently the last decade.

Reactions: ironside1
They could if they put as much into it. Prairie has no tradition. Kennedy does have a better program and has been sending kids to the UI fairly consistently the last decade.
I agree, Kennedy definitely has a football culture that is great.

The athletes joined the gangs.

It’s not anymore. It will take a generational team for any non Des Moines school to win in 5A. Kennedy has a really good team this year that just got beat by CF who will most likely get trounced by SE Polk. CF dresses 50-55 kids. It is a school district with plenty of money but depth is the biggest issue. CF has 3 D1 players, 2 that are lower level D1/D2 and still can’t compete with the Des Moines schools.

It’s not anymore. It will take a generational team for any non Des Moines school to win in 5A. Kennedy has a really good team this year that just got beat by CF who will most likely get trounced by SE Polk. CF dresses 50-55 kids. It is a school district with plenty of money but depth is the biggest issue. CF has 3 D1 players, 2 that are lower level D1/D2 and still can’t compete with the Des Moines schools.

Not sure what you mean by that. Linn Mar and Prairie are just as big.

Are you saying less kids are going out in those schools as a %?

Reactions: ironside1
Semi’s are set

SEMIFINALS​

ALL GAMES AT UNI-DOME, CEDAR FALLS​

To be released once qualifiers, game times are set.​

WEDNESDAY, NOV. 8​

EIGHT-PLAYER
10:00—Bishop Garrigan, Algona (10-1) vs. Winfield-Mt. Union (11-0)
1:00—Gladbrook-Reinbeck (10-1) vs. Bedford (11-0)

THURSDAY, NOV. 9​

CLASS A
10:00—Madrid (11-0) vs. West Hancock, Britt (10-1)
1:00—East Buchanan, Winthrop (9-2) vs. Woodbury Central, Moville (11-0)

CLASS 4A
4:00—North Polk (9-2) vs. Lewis Central (9-2)
7:00—Bondurant-Farrar (9-2) vs. Western Dubuque (10-1)

FRIDAY, NOV. 10​

CLASS 1A
10:00—Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (9-2) vs. Grundy Center (11-0)
1:00—MFL MarMac (10-1) vs. Underwood (10-1)

CLASS 5A
4:00—Valley, West Des Moines (6-5) vs. Southeast Polk (11-0)
7:00—Ankeny Centennial (7-4) vs. Ankeny (8-3)

SATURDAY, NOV. 11​

CLASS 2A
10:00—Monticello (10-1) vs. Van Meter (11-0)
1:00—Spirit Lake (10-1) vs. Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (11-0)

CLASS 3A
4:00—Bishop Heelan Catholic, Sioux City (10-1) vs. Creston (11-0)
7:00—Williamsburg (10-1) vs. Solon (10-1)

Reactions: win4jj and mjtommy
Southeast Polk survived a huge scare tonight. Cedar Falls cut it to 21-20 with, I believe, under a minute left and went for 2 to win it. Came up short.

Loving the Ankeny - Ankeny Centennial rematch. Go Hawks — south siiiiide!!

Southeast Polk survived a huge scare tonight. Cedar Falls cut it to 21-20 with, I believe, under a minute left and went for 2 to win it. Came up short.

I thought it would be a running clock early in the second half. I’m biased obviously, but I was so proud of the CF kids for continuing to battle. It would have been easy to fold up shop. They didn’t and had a chance to win. Last time my son will ever put on pads. We shed some tears together after the game but life goes on. Hats off to SE Polk. Very good team and the fans I interacted with were very complimentary. Now it’s all about the G-R Rebels c’mon!

The CIML is a brutal meat grinder. I played for Bettendorf once upon a time, but barring generational D1 prospects that come along for non-CIML programs, it’s going to be super hard for any them to hack their way through the entire CIML for a state title. Proven true again this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL
WH going back to the dome in class A. I was streaming last night’s West Hancock @ Wapsie Valley game and they said the winner of this game has gone on to play for the championship 4 out of the last 5 years.

This year’s senior class is one of the best I’ve ever seen at WH. David Smith on O-line and D-line, his twin Mitchel as QB/LB, Kellen Smith (West Point commit for wrestling) as a wing back/corner, Kale Zuehl FB/LB, and Jackson Peterson RB/Saftey. The Smith twins are also younger brothers to walk on linebacker Joe Smith for Iowa.

Reactions: win4jj
I thought it would be a running clock early in the second half. I’m biased obviously, but I was so proud of the CF kids for continuing to battle. It would have been easy to fold up shop. They didn’t and had a chance to win. Last time my son will ever put on pads. We shed some tears together after the game but life goes on. Hats off to SE Polk. Very good team and the fans I interacted with were very complimentary. Now it’s all about the G-R Rebels c’mon!
What a great night it must have been for you. I mean it would’ve been better if they won but it sounds like they left it all on the field.

Reactions: jellyfish10
WH going back to the dome in class A. I was streaming last night’s West Hancock @ Wapsie Valley game and they said the winner of this game has gone on to play for the championship 4 out of the last 5 years.

This year’s senior class is one of the best I’ve ever seen at WH. David Smith on O-line and D-line, his twin Mitchel as QB/LB, Kellen Smith (West Point commit for wrestling) as a wing back/corner, Kale Zuehl FB/LB, and Jackson Peterson RB/Saftey. The Smith twins are also younger brothers to walk on linebacker Joe Smith for Iowa.
That is some talent for a single A team. I have a friend that his son is the starting QB for Starmont and I couldn’t believe how easily you guys beat them.

Reactions: mjtommy

I’m also an Ankeny guy and that SE Polk team is really good. They beat Ankeny like 50-20 earlier this year and it could have been more. Props to any team that hangs with them.

Reactions: jellyfish10
That is some talent for a single A team. I have a friend that his son is the starting QB for Starmont and I couldn’t believe how easily you guys beat them.
I’m not sure if it will be enough to win State this year but they have been on a mission since their week 3 loss to St Angser. I was also surprised by last weeks game and last nights game. Wapsie had only lost to Denver and 6 out 9 games were shutouts with only Denver scoring double digits. We put up 44 on them.

The really crazy stat about WH is they are the second smallest class A team in the state as far as enrollment numbers. They would be the 14th largest 8 man team if they chose to drop down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT