ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa HS football playoffs set

I thought it would be a running clock early in the second half. I’m biased obviously, but I was so proud of the CF kids for continuing to battle. It would have been easy to fold up shop. They didn’t and had a chance to win. Last time my son will ever put on pads. We shed some tears together after the game but life goes on. Hats off to SE Polk. Very good team and the fans I interacted with were very complimentary. Now it’s all about the G-R Rebels c’mon!
a boys first dream and a man's first loss. Hope you both enjoyed the ride buddy.

I’m not sure if it will be enough to win State this year but they have been on a mission since their week 3 loss to St Angser. I was also surprised by last weeks game and last nights game. Wapsie had only lost to Denver and 6 out 9 games were shutouts with only Denver scoring double digits. We put up 44 on them.

The really crazy stat about WH is they are the second smallest class A team in the state as far as enrollment numbers. They would be the 14th largest 8 man team if they chose to drop down.
That is crazy. Enjoy the ride!

I think it will be centennial and SEP in the finals, and centennial gets it done this year.
Last night's Centennial game was really weird. Centennial kept killing drives with turnovers and penalties. Bett didn't even really move the ball, just hit a couple plays. 14-0 Bett at half. After half, it totally flipped. Bett turned it over five(?) times and Centennial executed very well. Smith hit Schutty with two or three perfectly thrown corner routes downfield right on the sideline and Porter and BJ were doing their normal thing. Ended up 41-14.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Not exactly a "feel good" story, but pretty damn impressive...WDM Valley started the year 0-4, avenged a few losses and made the semis with a 6-5 record.

Swenson is a legend.

Reactions: win4jj
Last night's Centennial game was really weird. Centennial kept killing drives with turnovers and penalties. Bett didn't even really move the ball, just hit a couple plays. 14-0 Bett at half. After half, it totally flipped. Bett turned it over five(?) times and Centennial executed very well. Smith hit Schutty with two or three perfectly thrown corner routes downfield right on the sideline and Porter and BJ were doing their normal thing. Ended up 41-14.
Is schutty getting power 5 looks? Seems like the kind of kid Iowa would use as a TE…

Not exactly a "feel good" story, but pretty damn impressive...WDM Valley started the year 0-4, avenged a few losses and made the semis with a 6-5 record.

Swenson is a legend.
Not sure if it was the same record but the same thing happened last year. They made the championship game after a 5-4 or 6-3 regular season and getting in as like the 15 seed.

a boys first dream and a man's first loss. Hope you both enjoyed the ride buddy.
Thanks man. Kind of up and down year for my son son. Man we were about a yard short of skating Goliath but life goes on. Funny thing is that I was discussing with JR in this very thread about most schools in the state don’t stand a chance against the DM powerhouses. For a half that was true. It was really cool to see us continue to battle. Oh well, on to rugby baby!

Reactions: Fan In Black
I thought it would be a running clock early in the second half. I’m biased obviously, but I was so proud of the CF kids for continuing to battle. It would have been easy to fold up shop. They didn’t and had a chance to win. Last time my son will ever put on pads. We shed some tears together after the game but life goes on. Hats off to SE Polk. Very good team and the fans I interacted with were very complimentary. Now it’s all about the G-R Rebels c’mon!
Very good game. As a former Tiger, I was watching even though my allegiance is now to another school. Was really hoping a MVC school could pull the upset.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Not sure if it was the same record but the same thing happened last year. They made the championship game after a 5-4 or 6-3 regular season and getting in as like the 15 seed.
The CIML is just so brutal and most of the teams are so evenly matched that you could have a 4-loss team that could beat every other non-CIML team in the state.

Reactions: MitchLL
The DM metro is a magnet for economic reasons and families have the resources to have their kids do club teams, personal youth coaches, and strength training.
And there's obviously some "recruiting", unofficially.
This is not any sort of intended brag, but my grandkids are pretty good athletes and their folks have both been approached by parents from other schools dropping suggestions that they consider certain other schools...specifically Dowling/Valley/Waukee.
Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, and Waterloo/Cedar Falls will never compete with that.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
It depends on who the parent is.
Absolutely.
There are certain schools that have pretty influential, well healed parents closely connected to coaching staffs.
My personal opinion is that within the next 3-5 years, both Waukee Schools will be in the convo as State Champs in football.

Absolutely.
There are certain schools that have pretty influential, well healed parents closely connected to coaching staffs.
My personal opinion is that within the next 3-5 years, both Waukee Schools will be in the convo as State Champs in football.
Could be. My son is a freshman in college and my high school daughter doesn’t play or care about sports, so this is the last season I have a sense of how good each class is per school in the area, so I have no idea.

Could be. My son is a freshman in college and my high school daughter doesn’t play or care about sports, so this is the last season I have a sense of how good each class is per school in the area, so I have no idea.
Waukee youth programs have really elevated their approach in last few years.
Another observation is Urbandale has fallen off the map being competitive in most sports. In youth football, they don't allow any "tackle football" until 7th grade. Right or wrong, it's hurting them.

Is schutty getting power 5 looks? Seems like the kind of kid Iowa would use as a TE…
I haven't talked to him or dad about it lately, but last spring things were shaping up to maybe be a preferred walk on at a bigger program or full scholarship someplace smaller. His dad was also pretty lean when he graduated from high school, but got a lot thicker in college. There's a good chance Chase would be the same. He's the right type of kid who will put in the work.

Waukee youth programs have really elevated their approach in last few years.
Another observation is Urbandale has fallen off the map being competitive in most sports. In youth football, they don't allow any "tackle football" until 7th grade. Right or wrong, it's hurting them.
It's right.

The DM metro is a magnet for economic reasons and families have the resources to have their kids do club teams, personal youth coaches, and strength training.
And there's obviously some "recruiting", unofficially.
This is not any sort of intended brag, but my grandkids are pretty good athletes and their folks have both been approached by parents from other schools dropping suggestions that they consider certain other schools...specifically Dowling/Valley/Waukee.
Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, and Waterloo/Cedar Falls will never compete with that.

Lol...that's funny.

Yep...us over here in the Corridor are poor rubes to the greatness that is the DM metro...Puhhhllleeeeasssseeeee

Lol...that's funny.

Yep...us over here in the Corridor are poor rubes to the greatness that is the DM metro...Puhhhllleeeeasssseeeee
I'm not trying to rag on cities outside metro DM.
Really am not.
But unless you know what the area looked like at the turn of the century and see what it looks like today, the growth is unbelievable.

You can't overestimate what having two major interstate systems intersect the region is doing for commerce and drawing families.

No other larger city in Iowa can compete with that. No fault of city leaders.
Location Location Location

BTW...I live near Iowa City.

I'm not trying to rag on cities outside metro DM.
Really am not.
But unless you know what the area looked like at the turn of the century and see what it looks like today, the growth is unbelievable.

You can't overestimate what having two major interstate systems intersect the region is doing for commerce and drawing families.

No other larger city in Iowa can compete with that. No fault of city leaders.
Location Location Location

BTW...I live near Iowa City.

Lol...that's what CR and IC have. JC was was 75,000 people when I graduated HS...its now over 150,000.

Marion has exploded as well. Now over 45,000.

Its not unique to DSM

Lol...that's what CR and IC have. JC was was 75,000 people when I graduated HS...its now over 150,000.

Marion has exploded as well. Now over 45,000.

Its not unique to DSM
CR and IC have two major Interstates?

Give me a few minutes to check my Google maps!

I see a big difference in style of play on the defensive side of the ball in the east. The fronts of most west teams control gaps and try to play to the heels of the OL. (Ankeny plays upfield and blitzes more than most.) The fronts of the four east teams I've seen in person and/or on film come upfield as hard as they can on almost every play. (CF, Bett, City, and Kennedy) It's feast or famine, and it allows the offense to influence the front.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yes. 80 and 380/ Avenue of the Saints.

You get out much?
80/380, yep for IC, but hasn't really resulted in Fortune 500 companies moving there. What is IC's largest employer outside UIHC?

380 is basically St Paul to St Louis.

I know it has a prestige to it… but playing in the uni-dome really sucks.

80/380, yep for IC, but hasn't really resulted in Fortune 500 companies moving there. What is IC's largest employer outside UIHC?

380 is basically St Paul to St Louis.

Not sure what difference the companies make. The IC-CR area has had growth every bit as dramatic as DSM.

DSM metro is busting at the seems in every direction with growth patterns to push a million metro residents in the not too distant future. It’s sucking residents from across the state and beyond.

Good God it's nowhere close to 1 million.

I get it. Its a fast growing sterile suburban wasteland.

I know it has a prestige to it… but playing in the uni-dome really sucks.
It did suck before they changed the turf. The few times I played there I wore basketball shoes instead of cleats. Yes, I’m old.

It did suck before they changed the turf. The few times I played there I wore basketball shoes instead of cleats. Yes, I’m old.
I played in late 90s. It was old and decrepit and the turf was green sandpaper. Hopefully it’s better now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT