ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa lands former Villanova PG Lucy Olsen

To start the season at least O'Grady but she'll have to produce to keep it, the other spot will either be McCabe or Feuerbach. Both are good options and bring something different. Feuerbach brings better defense and athleticism on both ends but her shot needs to get more consistent. I'd probably go with McCabe, her shooting will spread the floor and she'll have all summer to work on her defense.
I don’t really get the knock on mccabes D. She looked pretty dang solid on D at the end of the year. And her offense far outweighs feuerbachs. She’s also pretty darn athletic herself

PG Olsen/Guyton
SG McCabe/Stremlow
SF Affolter/Mallegni
PF Stuelke/Ediger
C Ogrady/Heiden

Hope I'm wrong but I think AOG could take a step back without having an elite passer creating so many opportunities for her. Just an optimistic guess that Ava will bring a better overall skill set. And with Olsen's ability to penetrate with the dribble and dish to the perimeter, I could see Taylor going nuts from three point range and when she gets hot she doesn't seem to miss.
FIFY

Doubt it- get her experience for the next year when we get Deal, Houston and maybe other 5 stars brynn and skinner. Then it will be final 4 possibilities again for a few years
And 2026 class looks to be even better if it holds up like some think. Wow!

Reactions: Torg
Doubt it- get her experience for the next year when we get Deal, Houston and maybe other 5 stars brynn and skinner. Then it will be final 4 possibilities again for a few years
Only if she’s 100%

Robert Redford Yes GIF by GritTV

Ron Swanson Dancing GIF

I don’t really get the knock on mccabes D. She looked pretty dang solid on D at the end of the year. And her offense far outweighs feuerbachs. She’s also pretty darn athletic herself

OK, I’ll take another stab at this, and keep in mind. Several of us that watch the team super close have said the same thing all year…

I get everyone is in love with her shooting. But she has a weird disconnectedness to the offense and defense. I can’t really explain it. Somebody else might be able to come along and explain it in a different fashion, but many of us are baffled by the incredible love affair….🤷‍♂️

She is plenty athletic and quick and she’s a decent ballhandler, but definitely not an electric one.

She’s not going to take the ball to the rack very often, at least as of yet, she’s not a great passer, and her defense on the ball was adequate, but so often she just bounced around, literally looking like she didn’t know for sure what she was supposed to be doing.

She’s young, I think she has big upside, but this new girl, Feurbach, Affolter & Stuelke have to be on the floor. And from there, I guess it depends.?!

OK, I’ll take another stab at this, and keep in mind. Several of us that watch the team super close have said the same thing all year…

I get everyone is in love with her shooting. But she has a weird disconnectedness to the offense and defense. I can’t really explain it. Somebody else might be able to come along and explain it in a different fashion, but many of us are baffled by the incredible love affair….🤷‍♂️

She is plenty athletic and quick and she’s a decent ballhandler, but definitely not an electric one.

She’s not going to take the ball to the rack very often, at least as of yet, she’s not a great passer, and her defense on the ball was adequate, but so often she just bounced around, literally looking like she didn’t know for sure what she was supposed to be doing.

She’s young, I think she has big upside, but this new girl, Feurbach, Affolter & Stuelke have to be on the floor. And from there, I guess it depends.?!
Tell me what exactly did feurbach do that was so enamoring to automatically be slotted into the starting spot next year and allotted major minutes? Fill me in. She needs to take as big or bigger steps in her game than mccabe does and she’s 2years older

She's got range already.
From the article on the home page:

"With Siegrist off to the professional ranks, Olsen's increased scoring load came at the expense of her long-distance shooting, which regressed from 35.6% to 29.4%, but she's much more productive and effective inside the arc..."

Last edited:
Reactions: NevadaHawk
Tell me what exactly did feurbach do that was so enamoring to automatically be slotted into the starting spot next year and allotted major minutes? Fill me in. She needs to take as big or bigger steps in her game than mccabe does and she’s 2years older

She’s connected, understands the Frame work of the offense & defense. Is extremely Athletic & 6ft, not 5-9.

Better handles, rebounding, going to the rack, etc, etc..

Feuerbach has a ton of work to do. She's quick and very athletic and plays good d but her handles aren't good and she only had one good shooting game where she had 3 3's. Maybe one of the freshman will push her or possibly over take her

Olsen's short jumpers remind me of Grace Berger and her short game. We haven't had that much lately.

Coach Bluder took a page out of the metrics books and encourages, to the tack or 3, from what I gather.

Yea CC could shoot it but if you remember correctly, her first two years, she took more mid range jumpers. It was a very good part of her game.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Feuerbach has a ton of work to do. She's quick and very athletic and plays good d but her handles aren't good and she only had one good shooting game where she had 3 3's. Maybe one of the freshman will push her or possibly over take her
She could be a great 6th player coming off the bench similar to Affolter the past few years. I just like McCabe's shooting as a big offensive upside.

Let me guess, Iowa dug deep into their NIL fund to land her? Lol.

Maybe we should just dump the men’s program altogether and focus resources on the women’s team. Lisa Bluder might possibly make Iowa a women’s basketball powerhouse if this continues.

I’m honestly happy for the women’s program. I just wish the men’s team had some semblance of relevancy.

Let me guess, Iowa dug deep into their NIL fund to land her? Lol.

Maybe we should just dump the men’s program altogether and focus resources on the women’s team. Lisa Bluder might possibly make Iowa a women’s basketball powerhouse if this continues.

I’m honestly happy for the women’s program. I just wish the men’s team had some semblance of relevancy.

They deserve it more than the men at this point.

From the article on the home page:

"With Siegrist off to the professional ranks, Olsen's increased scoring load came at the expense of her long-distance shooting, which regressed from 35.6% to 29.4%, but she's much more productive and effective inside the arc..."
She's got a great pull-up jumper, similar to Beukers in that regard. (Something I think CC22 discarded from her game, or simply still need to improve.) It's going to open some great open shots for 3pt. shooters, but Olsen has that range in her bag too. I think she's really good, and only going to be better as a Hawkeye. Opportunity to be a big (bigger) star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT