ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa lands former Villanova PG Lucy Olsen

Well did your eyes see how many times she tried to drive for a layup with 6'7" Cardosa and another girl that was 6'4" and had nowhere to go and ended up eating the basketball? She tried to hard to take the game into her own hands.

I understand the point you are making but I think it should be pointed out that S.Carolina was being very aggressive on the perimeter and during the game during quick interviews and huddle reports Lisa kept saying they needed to drive the ball to the basket. So while some of her decisions being questionable are fair game I never felt she was trying to take the game into her own hands, She was doing exactly what Lisa was telling the team in the huddle.

Well did your eyes see how many times she tried to drive for a layup with 6'7" Cardosa and another girl that was 6'4" and had nowhere to go and ended up eating the basketball? She tried to hard to take the game into her own hands.
Well, lots of things weren't working very well for us after the first quarter. Caitlin had her pocked picked twice for easy scores. SC was just really really good, and things that worked against most teams just didn't work against them. If its your opinion that Kylie doesn't have a problem with the ball in her hands under pressure but Sydney does, great.

Of course it was. We had freaking Caitlin Clark on our team....we didn't need Gabbie to hit jack.

She was a great fit for this team and helped us win a bunch of games.
Go back to some of the game threads and take note of all the clamoring for affolter or mccabe to take some minutes from her. Without her starting to hit her 3’s in the tourney, I don’t believe we make it to the championship. If she was just out there playing defense and bricking 3’s, like she unfortunately did a lot of the season, we don’t go that far.
That has been my whole point with the mccabe feurbach discussion. Mccabes defense can be good enough to be a 2 way player, where as feurbachs offense hasn’t shown she can be a factor on that end of the floor and has pretty much been limited to an effort player who specializes on D. Maybe she takes a step and without Clark on the team she shows more offense next season. I hope she does.
And to your point about having Clark and not needing Gabby to hit shots, we won’t have that luxury next year, hence me thinking Mccabe is probably the better option.

A little surprised Ediger didn't enter the portal. Are there minutes for her next year?
Possibly as the third center, but I have read on here that she really likes her major plus just the culture of the team. It used to be that Lisa never kept a full roster of 15 because the players at the end of the bench were unhappy and would leave. Not the case anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGHAWK
A little surprised Ediger didn't enter the portal. Are there minutes for her next year?
I've been accused as being a bit of a pollyanna but I do think there are minutes. She had a tough break with injuries her freshman year and never really seemed to catch minutes but she was really highly rated coming out of HS so the talent is there. I was encouraged by her basketball IQ the minutes she got this season although she looked like she was lacking confidence taking shots. If she can put everything together I wouldn't be shocked to see her putting some minutes in backing up the 4 as well as the 5. I think Lisa's confidence in our true posts, AOG and Ava H, will dictate what kind of offense we are going to run as that will dictate where Hannah is.

I've been accused as being a bit of a pollyanna but I do think there are minutes. She had a tough break with injuries her freshman year and never really seemed to catch minutes but she was really highly rated coming out of HS so the talent is there. I was encouraged by her basketball IQ the minutes she got this season although she looked like she was lacking confidence taking shots. If she can put everything together I wouldn't be shocked to see her putting some minutes in backing up the 4 as well as the 5. I think Lisa's confidence in our true posts, AOG and Ava H, will dictate what kind of offense we are going to run as that will dictate where Hannah is.
Well, she is going to be a Senior next year.

I'm not sure you can quantitively say Slime45s observations/opinions are in the minority. I happen to agree with some of those... and I love Kylie's athleticism and hustle by the way. I'd offer one other observation about the generally apples to oranges comparisons of Gabbie and Kylie and it speaks to Slim45s thoughts.

Gabbie, even when she was struggling with her three's, wasn't hurting us with turnovers on slashing drives. While I think she had better than average handles, she didn't often look to create her own shot.

Kylie, as noted by others, struggled creating her own shot as she would drive without a plan if she got closed off. This resulted in turnovers. If Kylie can improve on this front, whether off-season or more game minutes, then I'd change my mind and maybe put her in at the two or even spell Olsen at the one.
Sorry, but I don't see KF ever being a primary ball handler. If I'm not mistaken she's in the same class as Clark, so she's been in college for 4 years, (with a redshirt). Just don't think she has the Basketball IQ or handles to be that player, after 4 years. She is quick, and works hard on D, but she's a turnover waiting to happen when she puts in on the floor, doesn't finish well at the rim, and is really inconsistent with her jumper. Not saying she can't improve SOME, but I'd be shocked to see her markedly better next season, her 5th in college. It just doesn't work like that. Its kind of like people thinking Mulvey is going to be a big contributor next season. He's been in college 3 years, and Fran redshirts the guy when we were in dire need of another post who could rebound and defend the rim, and he's the only true 7'0 dude on the team. Not expecting much if anything from him.

Sorry, but I don't see KF ever being a primary ball handler. If I'm not mistaken she's in the same class as Clark, so she's been in college for 4 years, (with a redshirt). Just don't think she has the Basketball IQ or handles to be that player, after 4 years. She is quick, and works hard on D, but she's a turnover waiting to happen when she puts in on the floor, doesn't finish well at the rim, and is really inconsistent with her jumper. Not saying she can't improve SOME, but I'd be shocked to see her markedly better next season, her 5th in college. It just doesn't work like that. Its kind of like people thinking Mulvey is going to be a big contributor next season. He's been in college 3 years, and Fran redshirts the guy when we were in dire need of another post who could rebound and defend the rim, and he's the only true 7'0 dude on the team. Not expecting much if anything from him.
You went scorched Mulvey on KF - ouch! She is way better that Mulvey, but your point is well taken that at some point, if you are going to develop into a different kind of player, it would have happened by now.

You went scorched Mulvey on KF - ouch! She is way better that Mulvey, but your point is well taken that at some point, if you are going to develop into a different kind of player, it would have happened by now.
Sorry, it was a bit of a tangent, but you did get the point. Players can always improve parts of their game. I'd expect CC will have some things to work on the next couple of seasons in the league. Still after 3 or 4 years, its hard to project a player making that big of a jump when they have multiple weaknesses....

Reactions: Tenacious E
Still after 3 or 4 years, its hard to project a player making that big of a jump when they have multiple weaknesses....

Mitigate the weaknesses and exploit the strengths....same as it is for any player in any sport.

She has and will put in the work...hell she was making 300 3 pointers a night just to be able to play for AIA.

Mitigate the weaknesses and exploit the strengths....same as it is for any player in any sport.

She has and will put in the work...hell she was making 300 3 pointers a night just to be able to play for AIA.
Sure, but there are a bunch of weaknesses, and these gals aren't playing on teen age teams. She struggles badly handling the ball, and makes poor decisions in traffic, and the same with her passing. And her shot is VERY inconsistent. She had one game I remember where she hit 3 or 4 threes and then I don't remember her making another shot for numerous games either at the rim or from three. I remember when Warnock played. She struggles with turn overs when she put the ball on the floor BUT she was a consistent threat from three, she could score at the rim, and she would get you some boards. So yes, you could mitigate her ball handling to a degree.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Sure, but there are a bunch of weaknesses, and these gals aren't playing on teen age teams. She struggles badly handling the ball, and makes poor decisions in traffic, and the same with her passing. And her shot is VERY inconsistent. She had one game I remember where she hit 3 or 4 threes and then I don't remember her making another shot for numerous games either at the rim or from three. I remember when Warnock played. She struggles with turn overs when she put the ball on the floor BUT she was a consistent threat from three, she could score at the rim, and she would get you some boards. So yes, you could mitigate her ball handling to a degree.
Unfortunately, exactly this. And like you say she's been around long enough if she was going to get better she would have by now. Like her but other than being quick and athletic she's not that great of a bb player unfortunately. I think she's may get passed up by some younger players next year

Lucky for us...you will find out how wrong you are next year.
If you say so, but I'm not holding my breath. Look basketball has changed SO much since I was a kid. Hell since my kids were kids. AAU was just taking off when my sons played in high school and college. These girls and boys play ALL the time against really good competition. SO they get better, faster. You take a player that has played through high school, high level AAU, and 4 years of college, and they ARE pretty much a finished product at this point. They can make some adjustments and tweeks but thats about it. A player who struggles in several areas of their game isn't going to get markedly better after basically 4 seasons of high school, 4 of AAU and 4 of college. These kids have played about 15 years worth of games by now, not to mention practice and higher level coaching then we EVER had. Its like people saying that girl X or boy Y will just make a big improvement in their shooting in the off season. They may get somewhat better, but probably not a lot at this point. Some kids have the hand eye coordination, vision, and consistent repeatable motion to be really good shooters, and many don't. Some of that you can learn, and some you can't.

If you say so, but I'm not holding my breath. Look basketball has changed SO much since I was a kid. Hell since my kids were kids. AAU was just taking off when my sons played in high school and college. These girls and boys play ALL the time against really good competition. SO they get better, faster. You take a player that has played through high school, high level AAU, and 4 years of college, and they ARE pretty much a finished product at this point. They can make some adjustments and tweeks but thats about it. A player who struggles in several areas of their game isn't going to get markedly better after basically 4 seasons of high school, 4 of AAU and 4 of college. These kids have played about 15 years worth of games by now, not to mention practice and higher level coaching then we EVER had. Its like people saying that girl X or boy Y will just make a big improvement in their shooting in the off season. They may get somewhat better, but probably not a lot at this point. Some kids have the hand eye coordination, vision, and consistent repeatable motion to be really good shooters, and many don't. Some of that you can learn, and some you can't.
I’ll agree with that a point. She’s probably going to get 1st crack at the starting position. At least she’s in line to be. Martin and Marshall who both started ahead of her were 3 year starters and thousand point scorers. It’s tough to come in 7-10 minutes a game and really make an impact. Especially as tight as CC, Martin and Marshall were. As a 4th option next year I think it’s reasonable to assume she can average 8-10 points a game. Your kids played. She’s got experience and she’s pretty athletic. She needs time on the court. Just my opinion.

You do realize she was a starter on a team that did win a game in the tournament?

You do realize she was a starter on a team that did win a game in the tournament?
And that has what to do with the conversation? That doesn't change the fact that she struggled on the offensive end much of the year. As others have pointed out maybe the light will come on with out the overwhelming shadow of Clark looming over her, knowing she'll have a bigger role. Maybe. Take a player like Syd who took a reserve role and played so well in so many facets that she became a core player. If Kylie had been excelling that spot could have been hers when Molly went down, and that would have left us with a deeper bench with Syd as 6th person.

Reactions: hawkod
If Kylie had been excelling that spot could have been hers when Molly went down, and that would have left us with a deeper bench with Syd as 6th person.

I am not a math major...but pretty sure the bench was the same size regardless of who was starting.

What does Sydney have to with Kylie?

Do you think Lisa is playing a player 14 minutes a game if she isn't all that good?

You also do realize that Kylie just came off of an ACL?

I have no idea if she will start...it still is a tough lineup to crack....but she will be a key to our success next year regardless of her role. Could definitely see her being utilized like Gabby was this year...which if she can hound like Gabby, she will actually be better at it since she is 3 inches taller.

She can score, but Iowa is loaded with scorers, that's never going to be a problem for a Lisa led team.

Reactions: undersized_post
I am not a math major...but pretty sure the bench was the same size regardless of who was starting.

What does Sydney have to with Kylie?

Do you think Lisa is playing a player 14 minutes a game if she isn't all that good?

You also do realize that Kylie just came off of an ACL?

I have no idea if she will start...it still is a tough lineup to crack....but she will be a key to our success next year regardless of her role. Could definitely see her being utilized like Gabby was this year...which if she can hound like Gabby, she will actually be better at it since she is 3 inches taller.

She can score, but Iowa is loaded with scorers, that's never going to be a problem for a Lisa led team.
Its not the number of players on the bench, its what we got FROM the bench once Syd ended up starting. Several games in the B1G and NCAA tourney we got ZERO points from the bench. ZERO. I know full well she had an ACL. She looks fully recovered athletically. She moves well, and is quick, and has explosion. What she seems to lack is the basketball savey to know when to attack with the ball, and then to be able to finish. Good Lord. I hope she has a great last year for the hawks. I just don't see what you evidently think you do, about her skill on that side of the floor......

Reactions: hawkod
Its not the number of players on the bench, its what we got FROM the bench once Syd ended up starting. Several games in the B1G and NCAA tourney we got ZERO points from the bench. ZERO.

Ok. Bench was still the same size regardless of who was starting in for Molly.

Think the point of this was about if Kylie was any good or not. She gets in games to play D more than anything else at this point. I would not be suprised to see her start next year taking the Gabbie role

Reactions: telstar67
Its not the number of players on the bench, its what we got FROM the bench once Syd ended up starting. Several games in the B1G and NCAA tourney we got ZERO points from the bench. ZERO. I know full well she had an ACL. She looks fully recovered athletically. She moves well, and is quick, and has explosion. What she seems to lack is the basketball savey to know when to attack with the ball, and then to be able to finish. Good Lord. I hope she has a great last year for the hawks. I just don't see what you evidently think you do, about her skill on that side of the floor......
Yeah, I think he must be Kylie's dad

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yeah, I think he must be Kylie's dad

That’s the vibe I’m getting. I wish her nothing but success. I hope she scores 1,000 points next season with the handles of kyrie Irving. But that’s not what I am at all expecting.

Well considering I post under my actual name....you can put that to rest.

You all are welcome to think what you want to think. I have different opinions. I could be wrong...but I was having this same argument last year with others about Molly.

We also do not need Kylie as a scorer...they go nowhere this year without Gabbie and her 6 points a game

What's getting lost in all of this: I'm glad Kylie is on the roster. She gives the coaches more options. We are better with her on the roster than with her not on the roster. I trust the coaches to distribute minutes in a way that maximizes our chances to win. She also seems like a good person and team player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT