ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa middle schoolers walk out in protest of Supreme Court draft on abortion

Embarrassing. Hopefully the school will be sanctioned for not providing a constructive learning atmosphere.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
elian-001.jpg

Wanna go 1 for 1?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Exactly.

The Republican ideologues and wannabe dictators have been using kids as Trojan horses for years. They try to use kids as puppets and try to control the truth, but the kids are way more connected than they are and the kids sooner or later we’ll figure it out.
Will you at least concede this is a tactic used by all major pols and its exploitative and gross regardless?

p011613lj-01598.jpg

I sometimes wish my default understanding of every topic could be completely imagination based. It seems like it would be so much comfortable to avoid the burdens of reality when you can just create your own. The Hawks would finish 12-0, my bank account would be much larger, etc. I envy you.
If you're a liberal, then by definition much of what you believe is imagination based, to use your term.

I'd choose "idealist" instead, where conservatives tend to be "realists" to a fault. The balance of the two is the key to success.

If you're a liberal, then by definition much of what you believe is imagination based, to use your term.

I'd choose "idealist" instead, where conservatives tend to be "realists" to a fault. The balance of the two is the key to success.

It seems you read at least some of the words I wrote but did not understand them. I was referring to the story that you invented, the post that I quoted, in this thread, about the news story posted in the OP. I thought that would have been clear.

Although, I am curious about your definition of liberal that you are referring to, is it another one of your inventions?

Have you begun to see eye to eye with your neighbor? Hint, his world is also imagination based.

So many realists in this country who believe the 2020 election was stolen, are you one of those realists too?

School walkouts are stupid.

If you want to convince that you are serious about something, take time on your time off, like the summer or the weekend to go to a protest or something like that.

Getting up and leaving a place you probably don't really want to be anyway just convinces me that you found yourself an excuse to walk out of school and have half the country clap for you like you did something brave.

I'm guessing the vast majority of these kids if offered the chance to go to a rally on a Saturday for the same cause would rather stay at home and play video games or hang out with their friends.

Realists that believe in Jewish space lasers, stolen elections, a cabal of pedophiles cannibalizing children, etc. Sure seems like a group based on reality!

Here's the problem: most of them likely have put little if any thought into the issue besides what the people around them and their news sources have preached.

They then go out and create a showy protest -- protesting is a virtuous thing to do! -- and are lavished with praise.

They're playing the game of politics without any real substance behind their convictions but for what their team preaches.

Here's the problem: most of them likely have put little if any thought into the issue besides what the people around them and their news sources have preached.

They then go out and create a showy protest -- protesting is a virtuous thing to do! -- and are lavished with praise.

They're playing the game of politics without any real substance behind their convictions but for what their team preaches.

Maybe that's a problem if that's reality. Have they actually been lavished with praise?

I also think it's possible that many of these kids actually have an earnest feeling about this, some purely out of self interest. They are a group that will be impacted the most by this ruling and Iowa's subsequent laws. They have their sexually active prime right just a few years away. As opposed to some boomer male or similar person who only cares about how the law will effect others rather than themselves.

I don't think it's odd at all that people about to enter their sexual primes are going to have an opinion about abortion, even if it is entirely self interested.

Maybe that's a problem if that's reality. Have they actually been lavished with praise?

I also think it's possible that many of these kids actually have an earnest feeling about this, some purely out of self interest. They are a group that will be impacted the most by this ruling and Iowa's subsequent laws. They have their sexually active prime right just a few years away. As opposed to some boomer male or similar person who only cares about how the law will effect others rather than themselves.

I don't think it's odd at all that people about to enter their sexual primes are going to have an opinion about abortion, even if it is entirely self interested.
How close to "sexual prime" do you think a middle schooler is?

3-4 years or so, with the prime lasting IDK maybe 15-20 years? Are you just curious or are disputing the point that young people will be more impacted by the changes than impotent boomers and the like?
Yes, people who have longer on the earth will be impacted more by legislation. Babies are even more impacted than mifdle schoolers by that logic.

El oh ****ing El at a middle schooler being a couple of years from their sexual prime. A 13 year old male is roughly 15 years from his sexual prime and a female is roughly 20 years.

• Haha

Sure. If it's earnest and they know the issue well, then that's a different matter.

But I get the feeling kids at that age might be doing as much be they've gotten queues that making a scene, stomping your feet, being loud and agitated is what politics is about. And that's part of what's wrong with politics in America.

What we need is for these kids to be putting the time in on issues like this in debate club or whatnot. We have an over-abundance of people that get angry, don't appreciate or even understand the opposing viewpoint well, and can barely articulate their own.

(admittedly, I've always had real distaste for recreational protesters of all stripes -- waters down the meaningfulness of protests in general)

• Haha
Yes, people who have longer on the earth will be impacted more by legislation. Babies are even more impacted than mifdle schoolers by that logic.

El oh ****ing El at a middle schooler being a couple of years from their sexual prime. A 13 year old male is roughly 15 years from his sexual prime and a female is roughly 20 years.
I think he just means horny AF.

Just to add something humorous to this thread, there was also a protest at Centennial HS, and my son contemplated pulling a Dennis from S1:E2 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (going to the abortion protest, seeing which side had more attractive females, and then joining that side).

Great sense of humor you have bud, nice life. Got an el oh fvcking lol from you.

Remove "prime", they are about to begin their sexually active years. Their potential abortion customer prime. As opposed to older folks who are not in the abortion market.

But I get the feeling kids at that age might be doing as much be they've gotten queues that making a scene, stomping your feet, being loud and agitated is what politics is about. And that's part of what's wrong with politics in America.

Do you have reasons for getting that feeling? It very well could be generally true, but I'm pretty well removed from the middle school age group at this point in my life, so not even sure how I'd come up with an opinion on this group.

I wonder how this could have possibly been presented to them to cause that reaction. Doesn't Iowa's Constitution allow abortion? I wonder if anyone told them that.

I wonder if anyone explained that the Mississippi case is about a 15 week limit, not a ban, and that the Mississippi law was drafted with Casey as a guide.

I wonder if anyone explained the 10th Amendment, or the Federalist Papers.

I wonder if Tom Paris teaches middle school. I'm simply amazed at the hysteria over this, and how much of the hysteria is based on ignorance.

I wonder how this could have possibly been presented to them to cause that reaction. Doesn't Iowa's Constitution allow abortion? I wonder if anyone told them that.

I wonder if anyone explained that the Mississippi case is about a 15 week limit, not a ban, and that the Mississippi law was drafted with Casey as a guide.

I wonder if Tom Paris teaches middle school. I'm simply amazed at the hysteria over this, and how much of the hysteria is based on ignorance.
Until one year from now.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

Abortion is legal in Iowa, for now. 15 week bans will soon become 6, and then 0.
Preliminary readings of Alito's draft suggest that Roe and Casey will be shattered.
I have said this many times. Overturning Roe is not the end of it. There is far too much power and money in the movement. They will never relinquish it. I saw an interview with an person celebrating the defeat of Roe, and when asked what's next, they said gay marriage. Your mistake is you don't seem to understand zealots very well. The kind of people who don't care a lick about the 10th amendment, the 14 the amendment, precedent, have never heard of the Federalist Papers and don't GAF, don't know the difference between enumerated rights and unenumerated rights... They won't stop. The kids protesting today are plenty smart, and they know where this is headed.

You are sounding especially desperate today Thorne.

Desperate to help you maintain your cool. We're almost at the weekend, think of all the interactions you'd miss out on, all of the EL OH FVCKING ELs you'd miss if you were forced into another time out?

Not everything is a dig at you, some people really want to help others maintain their self control. For some reason I thought you were involved professionally in counseling, this shouldn't be a foreign concept.

Desperate to help you maintain your cool. We're almost at the weekend, think of all the interactions you'd miss out on, all of the EL OH FVCKING ELs you'd miss if you were forced into another time out?

Not everything is a dig at you, some people really want to help others maintain their self control. For some reason I thought you were involved professionally in counseling, this shouldn't be a foreign concept.
You mad bro? You sound salty.

"I'll give you credit for laughing this one off"

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrpppp

"Desperate to help you maintain your cool"

You stuck your foot in your mouth saying a 12 year old is only a couple years from.sexual prime. Laugh it of and move forward.

Abortion is legal in Iowa, for now. 15 week bans will soon become 6, and then 0.
Preliminary readings of Alito's draft suggest that Roe and Casey will be shattered.
I have said this many times. Overturning Roe is not the end of it. There is far too much power and money in the movement. They will never relinquish it. I saw an interview with an person celebrating the defeat of Roe, and when asked what's next, they said gay marriage. Your mistake is you don't seem to understand zealots very well. The kind of people who don't care a lick about the 10th amendment, the 14 the amendment, precedent, have never heard of the Federalist Papers and don't GAF, don't know the difference between enumerated rights and unenumerated rights... They won't stop. The kids protesting today are plenty smart, and they know where this is headed.
You're absolutely right - I don't understand zealots very well. My personal philosophy doesn't work for most people. I'm pro-constitution, anti big government, and very Libertarian. I have a simple few rules, starting with people should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as they don't hurt someone else in the process. That premise doesn't work for everything, but works for most things. I believe in a safety net, but at the state level. I want big government spenders out of my wallet, and I want the nanny state out of the rest of my life, be it my bedroom, or deciding that I must be vaccinated with a vaccine that isn't very effective.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant. I really just wish people would take the time to become educated on issues instead of forming their opinions based on what some zealot on CNN or Fox News tells them.

Oh, and we have at least two posters on here who spew out so much BS that it makes me sad for their students.

That's disappointing. Where do you get mad from that at all? It was intended to be supportive and helping. Are you ashamed that you struggle with self control and a stranger on the internet is being supportive and offering sympathy?

You shouldn't be, especially now, May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
Your struggling like hell to move the narrative to something else other than the fact you just said middle schoolers are only a couple of years from sexual prime. Not a good look thorne.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT