ADVERTISEMENT

Forgive the ignorant question,

jerbob36

HR All-State
Dec 16, 2012
Doesn't NIL somewhat minimize the loss of a scholly for guys?
In other words, all KF would need to say to somebody on scholarship is, "I'm sorry that we can't keep you on scholarship anymore, but NIL will cover everything anyway."
In the past, it was a big deal to be a walk-on financially. Now even our PWOs get $30K for stopping in the hospital during the season.

Just thinking out loud because I hope we go from 90 to 92-93 still in the next couple of weeks.

I think you are basically correct. NIL is so wacked out with no or few rules that these young men do not have to "sell" their name, image, or likeness but rather they can just be given a brown bag of cash. So as you said, some of these schools with huge piles of money can pay kids to be on the team without a scholarship, they improve over a year or two, and their team has a constant influx of better players.

It is like the old days of Nebraska and other schools having unlimited walkons whose school was paid for by their county fan clubs.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Schools cannot "pay" players. If they could Iowa would be in a strong position with our revenue base.
I doubt pwo's are getting 30k from Swarm.
Only fans and corporations can pay the players....system is crap.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Programs go over the limit at this time of year frequently. It's not that unusual.

I don't think the people that oversee NIL would want to pay a player that can't hold on to his scholarship. Nor would I. Players will be asked to leave, and if they have some talent they can go somewhere else.

Unless you are saying that, say, KF talks to Cade and says we need your scholly, but we can cover that cost with some extra NIL?

Why would Iowa want to use NIL money to protect the 86th best player on the roster?

Reactions: uihawk82
Could some players be moved to "academic" scholarship? Or does any athlete on scholly no matter if athletic of academic count against our numbers?

Schools cannot "pay" players. If they could Iowa would be in a strong position with our revenue base.
I doubt pwo's are getting 30k from Swarm.
Only fans and corporations can pay the players....system is crap.
I agree the system is crap. There needs to be a "program cap" if the NCAA really wants to create a level playing field.
However, the players are essentially getting paid, regardless of where exactly the money is coming from. They are receiving $$ to play for a program.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT