ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Poll: Over half favor legalizing recreational pot

How much trouble do you get in these days for getting caught with pot in Iowa? Let's say I bought some in a border state and brought it back to Iowa and got caught with it in Iowa. Am I going to jail? Or am I paying a $100 fine?

How much trouble do you get in these days for getting caught with pot in Iowa? Let's say I bought some in a border state and brought it back to Iowa and got caught with it in Iowa. Am I going to jail? Or am I paying a $100 fine?

how much do you have and what county are you getting busted in?

how much do you have and what county are you getting busted in?
It would theoretically be a very small amount. Des Moines county would theoretically be the best chance of getting stopped.

I should look into that. Iowa likes to hit you with possession and tax stamp charges. Not sure which weight is intent to sell.

You're taking a ride and if your record is clean, a lot places have a diversion program where you do a substance evaluation and mini probation then charges are dropped or not filed. Fines are smaller. That's first offense, clean record, if that county has a diversion program and the prosecutor uses it.

You're taking a ride and if your record is clean, a lot places have a diversion program where you do a substance evaluation and mini probation then charges are dropped or not filed. Fines are smaller. That's first offense, clean record, if that county has a diversion program and the prosecutor uses it.

This

It's funny. Alcohol is a far more damaging drug and everyone is cool with that being legal.

Indeed. And with edibles so widely available now, marijuana has basically become a harmless drug. My dad has dementia, and he takes a smorgasbord of drugs. Honestly, they don't work half as well as the edibles he'd consume when he was still at home. I wish his facility could continue to provide edibles to him, but it's not possible. Marijuana has benefits that are amazing for sick people. There's simply no reason it shouldn't be legal.

Most places in my area, you're getting arrested and booked and released with a court date. Courts usually just give you a fine if it's just personal use amounts.

You can buy as many guns as you want and you can conceal/carry them. You can drink yourself into the abyss with any kind of booze you want - much of it made here in Iowa.

Weed? Nope. It's the slippery slope - people that smoke weed are criminals. :rolleyes:

Legalize it, tax it, create jobs and buy Doritos stock. That's what will happen when I become Gov.

I should look into that. Iowa likes to hit you with possession and tax stamp charges. Not sure which weight is intent to sell.
42.5 grams of marijuana you need a tax stamp. Did you know people actually collect drug tax stamps? You can go to your local court house and purchase one for display.

My opinion is the drug dealers won't go away. They will just undercut legal business that are selling. Tax free marijuana.

I think it depends on how hard it is taxed and the price. With Illinois price dealers arent going anywhere. Just to tell an LEO and be transparent, oddly enough I pay 420 less per ounce with a dealer than through the state per ounce. Pretty damn atrocious.

FWIW my dealer is in moline.

Reactions: Hawkman98
Most places in my area, you're getting arrested and booked and released with a court date. Courts usually just give you a fine if it's just personal use amounts.
Yeah and the legal part is only a piece of it. What do you suppose an employer thinks of your arrest?

Yeah and the legal part is only a piece of it. What do you suppose an employer thinks of your arrest?
Ya I was just responding to the question about the arrest and fine. Depends on the employer and their job. I'm sure some still care, but I think it's becoming more acceptable.

Reactions: Moral
42.5 grams of marijuana you need a tax stamp. Did you know people actually collect drug tax stamps? You can go to your local court house and purchase one for display.

That's an idiot urban legend waiting to happen. Like "he has to tell you if he's a cop if you ask" or thinking you can legally walk around with an open container as long as it's in a brown paper bag. People are going to think if they get a tax stamp at the court house, they only get their charges based on what they have leftover after what the tax stamp covers.

That's an idiot urban legend waiting to happen. Like "he has to tell you if he's a cop if you ask" or thinking you can legally walk around with an open container as long as it's in a brown paper bag. People are going to think if they get a tax stamp at the court house, they only get their charges based on what they have leftover after what the tax stamp covers.
Ya you still get charged for the drugs regardless if you have a tax stamp. Having a tax stamp only saves you from the additional felony of not having one.

Reactions: ghost80
My opinion is the drug dealers won't go away. They will just undercut legal business that are selling. Tax free marijuana.

Meh, you've got that in markets everywhere. They won't make anywhere near as much money. Paying a little more for legal, quality stuff beats having to worry. Legal weed in Iowa will push dealers to the outer fringe and cut their profits substantially.

Ya I was just responding to the question about the arrest and fine. Depends on the employer and their job. I'm sure some still care, but I think it's becoming more acceptable.
Well I guarantee you that the health system I work for would have problems with me getting busted with it.

Legalizing MJ in Iowa should be priority #102 on the list of "50 Things Iowa Needs to doto Modernize"....

There is a dark side to this question that most folks refuse to discuss.....,all kinds of legal liabiliries and responsibilities....and also needed is a method of testing to figure out who is and is not impaired. This is an issue that will affect all of us.

Legalizing MJ in Iowa should be priority #102 on the list of "50 Things Iowa Needs to doto Modernize"....

There is a dark side to this question that most folks refuse to discuss.....,all kinds of legal liabiliries and responsibilities....and also needed is a method of testing to figure out who is and is not impaired. This is an issue that will affect all of us.

@joelbc1 is like I am going to prove I am old as hell in one post.

If you pulled a guy over and found some weed on him, and he said, "Hey man, are you Hawkman98 from HROT?" would you let him go with a warning? I feel like there should be an HROT code we can use for this.

As long as you promised life long likes to all my post from time of the traffic stop until I catch a case of the deads.

The only risk of promising likes and drawing morals to a random LEO is you might get institutionalized.

Reactions: Hawkman98
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT