ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Poll: Over half favor legalizing recreational pot

I figured you'd have personalized Hawk plates that say Moral. If I see anyone camping, making a mayo turkey in a wave, I know I'm safe to stop for a visit.
Here’s a hypothetical I’m curious about.

Say you pull over a driver for speeding. The guy’s car kind of smell like weed, but he was driving fine (you didn’t pull him over on suspicion of impaired driving). He admits that he has a small (like a bowl or half a j) amount of weed in the car and that he had smoked some an hour or so ago.

Do you automatically ask for a field sobriety test or do you just write tickets for the speeding and simple possession?

The legal market in other states has led to more choices in the black market.
Even with medical in FL the black market has plenty of consumer choices from Colorado.
Perhaps so, but no dealer I’ve ever heard of will have a menu of up to 50 different strains and multiple options for edibles, cartridges, flower, pre-rolls, etc.

Again, wealthier consumers are more than willing to pay extra for not only the better selection, but for the ability to purchase legitimately and to not break the law.

Say you pull over a driver for speeding. The guy’s car kind of smell like weed, but he was driving fine (you didn’t pull him over on suspicion of impaired driving). He admits that he has a small (like a bowl or half a j) amount of weed in the car and that he had smoked some an hour or so ago.

Do you automatically ask for a field sobriety test or do you just write tickets for the speeding and simple possession?
Not too many tickets written for possession in Iowa unless things have changed recently?

Here is the deal, illegal sports betting and gambling card games went on for decades in Iowa and the local law enforcement always turned a blind eye. The violations were codified, but LEO didn't want to mess with the local business owners who would openly have these games in public establishments.

Here is the second deal, THC is not cocaine, meth, heroine, etc. It is a product that was grown before prohibition. It is going to be used regardless of the law. We might as well legalize, regulate it, and tax it. I don't care what anyone else on this thread says, in my experience, you are going to take the shit stain distributors out of the place of providing. Yes, there will still be some, but much lower.

ETOH is much more of problem for society than THC.

And in regards to Hawkman's comment about OWI. From my experience, THC users are much less likely to get behind the wheel than a drunk. - And if you disagree with that, than I guess you would support banning alcohol again. Worked well the first time.

They actually haul people to jail for having a joint!? 😂
Yes. Pretty much every time, unless things have changed recently. You get booked then usually released on recognizance the next morning at bail hearing. Sometimes there's a cash bond to get out right after you're booked instead of waiting until the bail hearing.

When you see cops testimony and written reports contradicted by video evidence, does it give you any pause, or simply not register?

credibility of evidence is a different matter. I’m simply saying it is evidence otherwise courts wouldn’t allow it.

This happens often. In this scenario I would conduct field sobriety test. If they failed they would be placed under arrest for owi and I would ask for a urine sample to be sent to the DCI for analysis. They most likely would also be charged with possession of marijuana and I would give a warning for the speed.

They actually haul people to jail for having a joint!? 😂
Yes, it's a serious misdemeanor which require the subject to be fingerprinted. Most likely a book and release with a court date. In and out in less than an hour in my area.

Does it feel dumb while you’re doing it? (Not saying YOU are dumb, but seems to be an idiotic waste of time)
It is what it is. I don't feel dumb for the OWI's. I have zero tolerance when it comes to people driving while impaired. I've seen things you couldn't imagine due to alcohol and drug use. With marijuana, I try to use my discretion as much as I can. It will be legal soon, so I don't get to carried away with that.

Yes, it's a serious misdemeanor which require the subject to be fingerprinted. Most likely a book and release with a court date. In and out in less than an hour in my area.

resized_business-cat-meme-generator-seriously-folks-this-is-serious-business-d31d3d.jpg

I feel bad for LEOs that have to enforce THC laws from our grandparents. Yes, there are some genuine d.b.s out there that should be incarcerated for a plethora of reasons and if THC is the way to get them...so be it. But, there are plenty of people on the other side of the realm that keep to themselves and cause no public disturbance

Do people actually think the enforcement of DUIIs greatly impacts its occurrence? The perceived lack of field tests for marijuana shouldn’t influence whether it should be legal (there are already impairment tests and DREs, btw). The vast majority of people leaving bars are legally intoxicated and commit the offense of driving drunk almost 300 times before they are ever caught (seriously, stay off the road past 2300 hours). Arguing against legalizing marijuana because police can’t easily recognize it in impaired drivers, is myopic. There are plenty of prescription drugs that cause impairment too and aren’t illegal.

Do people actually think the enforcement of DUIIs greatly impacts its occurrence? The perceived lack of field tests for marijuana shouldn’t influence whether it should be legal (there are already impairment tests and DREs, btw). E The vast majority of people leaving bars are legally intoxicated and commit the offense of driving drunk almost 300 times before they are ever caught (seriously, stay off the road past 2300 hours). Arguing against legalizing marijuana because police can’t easily recognize it in impaired drivers, is myopic. There are plenty of prescription drugs that cause impairment too and aren’t illegal.
I had a case where D didn't have an ounce of ETOH or THC......Ambien made her run into another car

Reactions: Fluffles
What a ridiculous and stupid waste of time and resources.
Yeah I dunno. It wasn’t like the person was minding their own business eating at a restaurant and got a ticket for possession. They were busted for possession while operating a motor vehicle, Now whether they are impaired is another question.... but I get it. I think there needs to be a consequence in this instance. Like open container for example. Beer is legal but any chance one is using an operating needs to be discouraged in every way.

So, you and I have discussed this prior. Your post simply gives me the opportunity to reply. This isnt directed at you. But you usually answer questions honestly too so....a good person to engage here.

It is not as if I have never tried weed, I just don’t see the appeal on any sort of a regular basis. I mean if someone says, they have cancer, intractable pain, etc...sure I get it. The prescription drugs aren’t really any better. But they need for otherwise responsible adults \, that are reasonable healthy, feeling like they need to smoke a joint on more days than not is very odd to me and raises concerns about judgment. I fell the same about alcohol BTW. If someone is having 2-3 beers 5 nights a week.

Now, I like beer. I have a probaly a total of 2-3 a week. Always with dinner. But I have it because I like the taste. Not, obviously, because I need to get my buzz on. Or I’d clearly have to have 2-3 each time. (There are times I enjoy getting a buzz though to be sure. Maybe once every couple of months with friends). I don’t think one can say this about cannabis. The only reason to partake is for the psychological or neurological effects. Like I told someone I know recently, I don’t really have any personal issues with people that smoke etc...especially rarely. I do have questions though with why they feel they need it. I mean how would people feel if they new that their doctor smoked daily? Or even more days than not. If you’d have issues with that why not question oneself?

Now would I have issuse with legalization? No. Issues with rare use? No. Issues with it being a gateway? Not really. Issues with it being dangerous? No, it’s demonstrably safer than alcohol.

None of my questions come from that angle. More the question about wanting to chill/get high etc. as often as many seem to want to and this from otherwise mature 40+ year olds with children and good jobs. I guess I don’t get it. I don’t judge, I just don’t understand. Through in truth, my life has been fairly blessed and I suspect if I had much more pain in my life, psychological or physical, perhaps I’d feel different. If I had cancer, getting chemotherapy, you bet I’d use. Anyway Csb.

Yeah I dunno. It wasn’t like the person was minding their own business eating at a restaurant and got a ticket for possession. They were busted for possession while operating a motor vehicle, Now whether they are impaired is another question.... but I get it. I think there needs to be a consequence in this instance. Like open container for example. Beer is legal but any chance one is using an operating needs to be discouraged in every way.

So, you and I have discussed this prior. Your post simply gives me the opportunity to reply. This isnt directed at you. But you usually answer questions honestly too so....a good person to engage here.

It is not as if I have never tried weed, I just don’t see the appeal on any sort of a regular basis. I mean if someone says, they have cancer, intractable pain, etc...sure I get it. The prescription drugs aren’t really any better. But they need for otherwise responsible adults \, that are reasonable healthy, feeling like they need to smoke a joint on more days than not is very odd to me and raises concerns about judgment. I fell the same about alcohol BTW. If someone is having 2-3 beers 5 nights a week.

Now, I like beer. I have a probaly a total of 2-3 a week. Always with dinner. But I have it because I like the taste. Not, obviously, because I need to get my buzz on. Or I’d clearly have to have 2-3 each time. (There are times I enjoy getting a buzz though to be sure. Maybe once every couple of months with friends). I don’t think one can say this about cannabis. The only reason to partake is for the psychological or neurological effects. Like I told someone I know recently, I don’t really have any personal issues with people that smoke etc...especially rarely. I do have questions though with why they feel they need it. I mean how would people feel if they new that their doctor smoked daily? Or even more days than not. If you’d have issues with that why not question oneself?

Now would I have issuse with legalization? No. Issues with rare use? No. Issues with it being a gateway? Not really. Issues with it being dangerous? No, it’s demonstrably safer than alcohol.

None of my questions come from that angle. More the question about wanting to chill/get high etc. as often as many seem to want to and this from otherwise mature 40+ year olds with children and good jobs. I guess I don’t get it. I don’t judge, I just don’t understand. Through in truth, my life has been fairly blessed and I suspect if I had much more pain in my life, psychological or physical, perhaps I’d feel different. If I had cancer, getting chemotherapy, you bet I’d use. Anyway Csb.

Were you stoned when you typed that?

Do you put salt and pepper on food? That is what cannabis does to TV watching and music listening and good conversation. It makes it more enjoyable and enhances the pleasure. Much like your couple beers a week - which even if you only have 1 or 2, STILL relaxes you - the casual cannabis smoker is not trying to get “stoned” or comatose - merely having a little bit to relax and be creative and relaxed for an hour or two.

Frankly, I think Nancy Reagan may have gaslighted you. 🙂

Do you put salt and pepper on food? That is what cannabis does to TV watching and music listening and good conversation. It makes it more enjoyable and enhances the pleasure. Much like your couple beers a week - which even if you only have 1 or 2, STILL relaxes you - the casual cannabis smoker is not trying to get “stoned” or comatose - merely having a little bit to relax and be creative and relaxed for an hour or two.

Frankly, I think Nancy Reagan may have gaslighted you. 🙂

giphy.gif

Came across this for the first time in awhile this morning and thought of this post for some reason NSFW (parental advisory)

Last edited:
Reactions: haw-key
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT