ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Poll: Over half favor legalizing recreational pot

@joelbc1 is like I am going to prove I am old as hell in one post.
I am, sorry...there are consequences here and I don't think they have been looked at seriously.....because they don't "feel good." If MJ is gonna "legalized" (or is it "decriminlized"...are there going to be any consequences for those who use, are impaired and injure/damage others? Are the consequences limited to just the user or does the retailer share liability, like dram shop laws?
Yes I am old....but I believe that ?"growing old should" be the option all Iowans enjoy...and regulating and enforcing laws about using MJ (or any controlled drug) helps ensure this.

..and also needed is a method of testing to figure out who is and is not impaired. This is an issue that will affect all of us.
joel, what happens to people if they are currently impaired from marijuana or are you one of these people that think people aren’t using currently because its illegal.

at any rate, Kims more interested in supressing voting rights than actually be a republican that is about small government and personal freedom

Reactions: torbee
I am, sorry...there are consequences here and I don't think they have been looked at seriously.....because they don't "feel good." If MJ is gonna "legalized" (or is it "decriminlized"...are there going to be any consequences for those who use, are impaired and injure/damage others? Are the consequences limited to just the user or does the retailer share liability, like dram shop laws?
Yes I am old....but I believe that ?"growing old should" be the option all Iowans enjoy...and regulating and enforcing laws about using MJ (or any controlled drug) helps ensure this.

Spoiler alert, those people are already on the road.

I figured you'd have personalized Hawk plates that say Moral. If I see anyone camping, making a mayo turkey in a wave, I know I'm safe to stop for a visit.

I considered it, they were even available. I decided to stay anonymous.

Reactions: Hawkman98
joel, what happens to people if they are currently impaired from marijuana or are you one of these people that think people aren’t using currently because its illegal.

at any rate, Kims more interested in supressing voting rights than actually be a republican that is about small government and personal freedom
Currently, unless they are using for medicinal reasons, these folks are still breaking the law and there are consequences for their actions.......Once "legalize" these sanctions will be gotten rid of......As I said, there is a downside to legalization of MJ....just like there is a downside to any issue.....Consequences need to be considered and acted upon BEFORE legalization occurs. Isnt that only logical?

Currently, unless they are using for medicinal reasons, these folks are still breaking the law and there are consequences for their actions.......Once "legalize" these sanctions will be gotten rid of......As I said, there is a downside to legalization of MJ....just like there is a downside to any issue.....Consequences need to be considered and acted upon BEFORE legalization occurs. Isnt that only logical?
Your issue was impairment, now you are moving the goalpost to “breaking the law”.

“breaking the law” aside, how do law enforcement officers handle current impairement from marijuana or are you implying it doesn’t happen or that doesn’t count because “breaking the law”. You are naieve if you think its currently not happening

Your issue was impairment, now you are moving the goalpost to “breaking the law”.

“breaking the law” aside, how do law enforcement officers handle current impairement from marijuana or are you implying it doesn’t happen or that doesn’t count because “breaking the law”. You are naieve if you think its currently not happening
What ever method being used is very subjective.....no "breathelizer" or blood test standards.....You gotta get something that is relatively standardized and easy to enforce, Is the standard "falling down stoned" ?? You may not have liked my "breaking the law" reference, but at what point is their liability and consequences? These need to be codified first....not later.

What ever method being used is very subjective.....no "breathelizer" or blood test standards.....You gotta get something that is relatively standardized and easy to enforce, Is the standard "falling down stoned" ?? You may not have liked my "breaking the law" reference, but at what point is their liability and consequences? These need to be codified first....not later.
I would imagine a field sobriety test would be sufficient until a more official test is available. @Hawkman98 can maybe shed some light on it.

but you wouldn’t think there would be laws regarding public intox, driving while impaired and standards regarding how its handled in the field.

I would imagine a field sobriety test would be sufficient until a more official test is available. @Hawkman98 can maybe shed some light on it.

but you wouldn’t think there would be laws regarding public intox, driving while impaired and standards regarding how its handled in the field.
"Subjective tests" in a courtroom and with a good attorney don't mean shit. Suddenly the guy or gal that was so inebriated they could stand on their own, now has a bad back or was suffering from an inner ear infection.....You need standards IN PLACE before any legalization can occur. Without standards, you can have no regulation.

Indeed. And with edibles so widely available now, marijuana has basically become a harmless drug. My dad has dementia, and he takes a smorgasbord of drugs. Honestly, they don't work half as well as the edibles he'd consume when he was still at home. I wish his facility could continue to provide edibles to him, but it's not possible. Marijuana has benefits that are amazing for sick people. There's simply no reason it shouldn't be legal.
People selling those pills to your dad have some reasons.

To be honest that’s my one hesitation on legalizing drugs is the possibility of the increase in people operating while intoxicated. There are additional classes and testing you can attend to help detect someone who’s under the influence of drugs. I have taken those classes and arrest a lot of people for driving while drugged, but I’m sure I’m missing way more than I catch. With alcohol it’s easier to detect the smell and we have devices that can tell us immediately how much alcohol in your system. With drugs, if you don’t have a driving case and they weren’t smoking in the vehicle, they’re probably getting away with it. If I have reason to believe someone is under the influence, my testing will help determine that.

Reactions: dirtypool and Moral
"Subjective tests" in a courtroom and with a good attorney don't mean shit. Suddenly the guy or gal that was so inebriated they could stand on their own, now has a bad back or was suffering from an inner ear infection.....You need standards IN PLACE before any legalization can occur. Without standards, you can have no regulation.
With proven field sobriety test, statements made and the officers testimony on the indicators they saw, there is no issues in court. I’ve never lost one.

Reactions: dirtypool and Moral
To be honest that’s my one hesitation on legalizing drugs is the possibility of the increase in people operating while intoxicated. There are additional classes and testing you can attend to help detect someone who’s under the influence of drugs. I have taken those classes and arrest a lot of people for driving while drugged, but I’m sure I’m missing way more than I catch. With alcohol it’s easier to detect the smell and we have devices that can tell us immediately how much alcohol in your system. With drugs, if you don’t have a driving case and they weren’t smoking in the vehicle, they’re probably getting away with it. If I have reason to believe someone is under the influence, my testing will help determine that.

i just did a quick google and found This. I guess the next step if these were readily available would be able to set a legal limit of impairement unless you can do a failed sobriety text along with one of those detecting THC to be enough until a level is set

Reactions: Hawkman98
i just did a quick google and found This. I guess the next step if these were readily available would be able to set a legal limit of impairement unless you can do a failed sobriety text along with one of those detecting THC to be enough until a level is set
Ya I’ve seen those. That would definitely be a helpful tool to have.

Reactions: dirtypool
With proven field sobriety test, statements made and the officers testimony on the indicators they saw, there is no issues in court. I’ve never lost one.
7 years ago, I was on a jury here in Polk Co. that allowed a defendant to walk because the only evidence the County Atty had was "an officer's statement"...there was no BAC test given for some reason....And the officer swore the guy failed every field test given.....The guy was probably legally drunk....but there was no proof he was.....took the jury about 45 minutes to verdict....The reason he walked was by consensus , no "proof " the guy was legally intoxed.

7 years ago, I was on a jury here in Polk Co. that allowed a defendant to walk because the only evidence the County Atty had was "an officer's statement"...there was no BAC test given for some reason....And the officer swore the guy failed every field test given.....The guy was probably legally drunk....but there was no proof he was.....took the jury about 45 minutes to verdict....The reason he walked was by consensus , no "proof " the guy was legally intoxed.
Sounds like a shitty cop and the guy should have walked. I'm saying if a cops does everything he/she should do to build a proper case, there most likely won't be a problem and will result in a conviction.

Sounds like a shitty cop and the guy should have walked. I'm saying if a cops does everything he/she should do to build a proper case, there most likely won't be a problem and will result in a conviction.
Thats right...and that pretty much requires a valid BAC result of over 08. :I think"...It appeared"....I smelled on his breathe" arent enough any more. I have worked wit folks that "walked" because a BAC test was invalidated due to a procedural mistake too.....

How much trouble do you get in these days for getting caught with pot in Iowa? Let's say I bought some in a border state and brought it back to Iowa and got caught with it in Iowa. Am I going to jail? Or am I paying a $100 fine?
Monitoring

sounds more like a shitty jury to me. They chose not to believe the testimony of a cop and instead took the word of a drunk.

sounds more like a shitty jury to me. They chose not to believe the testimony of a cop and instead took the word of a drunk.
You need evidence, not opinion. BAC are a pretty low standard in today’s World and damning as evidence. The punishment for DD is pretty substantial ( it should be) and it is $$$$. It’s not too much to ask LEO to do it right.

Reactions: The_Gent
You need evidence, not opinion. BAC are a pretty low standard in today’s World and damning as evidence. The punishment for DD is pretty substantial ( it should be) and it is $$$$. It’s not too much to ask LEO to do it right.

the police officer’s testimony and written reports are evidence. In fact they are specifically mentioned in the federal rules as types of evidence.

the police officer’s testimony and written reports are evidence. In fact they are specifically mentioned in the federal rules as types of evidence.
When you see cops testimony and written reports contradicted by video evidence, does it give you any pause, or simply not register?

My opinion is the drug dealers won't go away. They will just undercut legal business that are selling. Tax free marijuana.
It will become a case of haves and have nots. Wealthier, middle and upper middle class Iowans will switch to dispensaries, with more selection and consistency of quality.

Lower class and poor Iowans will continue to use the black market and will have cheaper, but less diverse options for cannabis and will also continue to risk fines and small jail time.

It will become a case of haves and have nots. Wealthier, middle and upper middle class Iowans will switch to dispensaries, with more selection and consistency of quality.

Lower class and poor Iowans will continue to use the black market and will have cheaper, but less diverse options for cannabis and will also continue to risk fines and small jail time.
The legal market in other states has led to more choices in the black market.
Even with medical in FL the black market has plenty of consumer choices from Colorado.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT