ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa portal QB

Portal kids are being taken in and the collectives are paying the tuition so they don't count on schollie numbers....kids who technically graduate and started off on schollie are often getting tuition paid by NIL...
When this occurs, do walkons get to eat at team table now? I don't think they used to but I'm sure things have changed

When this occurs, do walkons get to eat at team table now? I don't think they used to but I'm sure things have changed
I know a walk on at Iowa and yes they do get the same perks such as eating a team training tables.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Tom just said on his pod that BF wasn't really a reruiter.
What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

My point was, I'd rather take a chance on a player from the NIL who has shown they can contribute at a higher level than Nick has contributed.
Well, wouldn't it be great if we could just go to the portal and replace every player we have with someone better?

My point was, regarding the scholarship crunch, that there are plenty of other players currently holding scholarships that will never contribute as much as DeJong has or be as valuable to the team in '24, so if you're going to be squeezing players out, maybe suggest they move on instead.
Again, his blocking grades don't support his being named to an all-B1G squad.
I guess you and the knowledgeable experts will have to agree to disagree.

Well, wouldn't it be great if we could just go to the portal and replace every player we have with someone better?

My point was, regarding the scholarship crunch, that there are plenty of other players currently holding scholarships that will never contribute as much as DeJong has or be as valuable to the team in '24, so if you're going to be squeezing players out, maybe suggest they move on instead.

I guess you and the knowledgeable experts will have to agree to disagree.
Hence the "take a chance" part. Nothing is certain.

I said in my original post that DeJong's scholarship was one that could be taken. I'm certain there are others.

The knowledgeable experts would include those who created the grading system for blocking and watch every snap the player is involved in to determine the grade. My opinion aligns with theirs.

I think what people keep missing, especially on the oline and offensive side of the ball in general, is the lack of overall talent. That's a failure of the staff and assuming there are better options to replace them is probably inaccurate. There is a reason that Iowa had to go to the portal for QB's, wide receivers, and a left tackle. It's because they've failed miserably at recruiting and developing those positions. Don't get frustrated with the players who remain and are willing to give their all. Get frustrated with the staff because these players are the best they could do.
I'm not frustrated with Nick for staying and getting his education paid for. I simply made a statement that if the team doesn't have scholarships available to give players in the portal who may contribute at a higher level, Nick's is one that should be taken. I also said he hasn't contributed much on the OL, and based on what I've watched, in addition to his blocking grades, that's true. I don't know what he contributes to the locker room or as a teammate overall, but that doesn't warrant a scholarship, in my opinion. His on the field contribution has been at walk-on level. You're right about piss poor recruiting, and I hope Lester brings a little excitement to the offense to make it easier to get better athletes to take snaps for the Hawks.

Last edited:
One thing about Marco getting 100% of the spring drill snaps is it tells Deacon you are not the QB2.

It also shows if Marco is a capable passer and QB because a lot of people are writing him of for is short stint in the bowl game while being totally pressured by Tenn.

I looked at Marco's high school video and he seemed to throw the ball really well so I cant believe he was a SHIT passer and still recruited.
Lester can help with Marco mechanics
He’s already shown much better pocket awareness and the ability to extend a play vs TN
I believe he can be successful!

Reactions: lonhawk
I'm not frustrated with Nick for staying and getting his education paid for. I simply made a statement that if the team doesn't have scholarships available to give players in the portal who may contribute at a higher level, Nick's is one that should be taken. I also said he hasn't contributed much on the OL, and based on what I've watched, in addition to his blocking grades, that's true. I don't know what he contributes to the locker room or as a teammate overall, but that doesn't warrant a scholarship, in my opinion. His on the field contribution has been as walk-on level. You're right about piss poor recruiting, and I hope Lester brings a little excitement to the offense to make it easier to get better athletes to take snaps for the Hawks.
Solid point. Dunker will likely be at right tackle spot. Iowa has done fine developing guards. Iowa should have thrown a bag of cash at Cayden Green. He visited as a recruit.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
So you stay with Hill as qb 1 since McNamara won’t be good to go till fall if that? GD son, you are one dumb sob. Regarding life advice…talk a long walk off a short plank.

Coming from you that’s a huge compliment. Thanks!

One thing about Marco getting 100% of the spring drill snaps is it tells Deacon you are not the QB2.

It also shows if Marco is a capable passer and QB because a lot of people are writing him of for is short stint in the bowl game while being totally pressured by Tenn.

I looked at Marco's high school video and he seemed to throw the ball really well so I cant believe he was a SHIT passer and still recruited.
Seems to be common with us….Petras seemingly complete close to 70% of his passes…

I’m not sure on a team of 100 plus and what 4/5 QBs anyone should get 100% of the snaps, but I’m also not a coach, nor am I trying to be, nor does it ruin my life if the “do it wrong”….what the hell would I know.

I’ll leave what QB should get spring snaps up the Pros in here.

QB position scares me the worst. I mean at this point you have to go under the impression Cade will not play. I understand he has experience, but he has not played in basically 2 years now. Plus some tweaks in the "new offense" and it just seems to me the QB position should be pretty much wide open competition. Hill, just does not seem to fit the mold. Good guy and all, he gave it his all, and we can't ask for more then that. The rest of the guys we do not know much about, so hopefully Lester can do what he said and see what these guys can do.

Reactions: win1forthe
He went from being a TE in Pella, Iowa to playing OL in B1G.

Context is everything fella
Cooper DeJean went from QB/Safety in Odebolt, IA to All American cornerback. Everyone went from not big ten to big ten that is on the team. That's not a great example of context.

Seems to be common with us….Petras seemingly complete close to 70% of his passes…

I’m not sure on a team of 100 plus and what 4/5 QBs anyone should get 100% of the snaps, but I’m also not a coach, nor am I trying to be, nor does it ruin my life if the “do it wrong”….what the hell would I know.

I’ll leave what QB should get spring snaps up the Pros in here.
Why lie? Petras completed 60% of his passes his senior year, and only 56% his junior year.

Comparing someone that had >75% completion rating in both junior and senior year of HS to someone with a sub 60% is exactly why you are on ignore, well that and you are a shit poster. Have the day you deserve!

LOL…fortunately your opinion is the minority view. I’ll talk to you next time I’m not really on ignore ….LOL

PS….wasnt Spencer a 4-@star ?!

And I hope, in the name of God’s love, mercy and grace, you don’t get what you deserve because quite frankly, we all deserve death because we all do a lot of shitty things!

LOL…fortunately your opinion is the minority view. I’ll talk to you next time I’m not really on ignore ….LOL

PS….wasnt Spencer a 4-@star ?!

And I hope, in the name of God’s love, mercy and grace, you don’t get what you deserve because quite frankly, we all deserve death because we all do a lot of shitty things!
My factual statements are a minority view? Should we talk about how great Jake Christensen was? You are an idiot, and that bottom statement BS shows your mental instability. Deserving death is quite the statement. It does not surprise me you are a zealot.

PS: Marco wasn't a 4*

Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Kirk already has Deacon.
Maybe with a good QB coach and another spring he may show marked improvement. He has the arm. Personally I hope Cade has a healthy senior year and Lainez or Resar take his place the year after.

My factual statements are a minority view? Should we talk about how great Jake Christensen was? You are an idiot, and that bottom statement BS shows your mental instability. Deserving death is quite the statement. It does not surprise me you are a zealot.

PS: Marco wasn't a 4*

Your factual statement of your opinion of me…?$

Thats rich…...and friend, being called an idiot by someone like you is a badge of honor…

It gives me the chance to prove, like I’ve said many times I’m not bothered by people calling me names…

It gives me the opportunity to laugh at you because just a few days ago you jumped my shit for calling someone an idiot purely to screw with someone who had called me one….i knew it would obviously irritate him.

And third I get to see how extremely irritated you are by me….

And forth I don’t need to put you on. Ignore to discount anything you say….

Anywho…..good talk 😊

Let's wait until the spring game to assess QB readiness. Should see a lot of Marco this year. I'll want to see if Hill has dropped 25+ lbs and is more mobile. If he hasn't dropped weight, he needs to change positions.

This is a very bad take.
Have you ever taken a snap at the D1 level?

STFU then
These guys kill me - keyboard warriors running their mouth when they don't know sh!t. Anonymity leads to clowns like this saying stupid stuff about taking away scholarships from kids who would beat their a$$ if they ever said it to their face. DeJong has more guts, character and integrity than these clowns will ever have. But they'll keep runnin' their mouth.

These guys kill me - keyboard warriors running their mouth when they don't know sh!t. Anonymity leads to clowns like this saying stupid stuff about taking away scholarships from kids who would beat their a$$ if they ever said it to their face. DeJong has more guts, character and integrity than these clowns will ever have. But they'll keep runnin' their mouth.
..........says the keyboard warrior making statements he has no way to prove. 🤣

I respect your position. You've seen a more intimate side of the game than most at that level, so you're emotionally involved. Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent non-D1 athletes from having the gift of sight and perhaps a less slanted view of poor performances. Nick has no doubt worked hard and may be a good guy, but that doesn't make him worthy of a scholarship, especially after showing he isn't particularly talented at the position he's playing.
When you've "been in the ring" its tough to shut it off sometimes.

The OL are the hardest working dudes you'll see. Probably have 10-15 concussions over their collegiate career. Safety precautions are a helluva lot better than 25 years ago, that's for damn sure.

Go Hawks.

Reactions: sellarsd
I was standing up for DeJong. I've seen what he sees. I've been there.

This is a very bad take.
Have you ever taken a snap at the D1 level?

STFU then

So let me get this straight. Only people who played a particular sport at D1 level can comment on it. You yourself being one so its cool for you to

Do I think he's been the best OL? No. But I've played against guys like him. Spent 5 years at a D1 school and started two of them. Defensive lineman.

I have a great deal of respect for these dudes. Unless you've been there you have no idea the sacrifice that goes into it. So sit back in your recliner and shut the f up.

Then why the hell are you commenting on basketball
Yes. Like Iowa's chances to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament

3 years ago, I made a similar statement re: Connor McCaffrey and his jumper and was similarly crucified. I was right. I didn't want to be right, much like this scenario.

Reactions: sellarsd
Let's wait until the spring game to assess QB readiness. Should see a lot of Marco this year. I'll want to see if Hill has dropped 25+ lbs and is more mobile. If he hasn't dropped weight, he needs to change positions.
Yup. I agree. Lester is supposed to be good with qb's and we have to have as much talent as any of his other stops. Unproven talent, but talent non the less. Hopefully Lester is not all wishy washy with it. Yes we need a wide open competition, but the players (and maybe the fans for piece of mind) need to know the what's what so to speak. In other words, I hope coming out of spring ball we have a clear #1 QB. (yeah they can still get passed up by fall). Last year just seemed like a mess. Cade is our starter. Hasn't practiced but yeah he is #1. Whoops he got hurt and so now #2 is a totally different kind of QB. It would be nice to see some flow this spring summer. Some continuity. Because really what we have seen the last few years is the exact opposite. Our offense looked like a monkey trying to hump a football.

The rule was lifted about 10 years ago...thought it was a stupid rule anyway...I mean don't you want a "student-athlete " to have the nutrition he needs...even if they are just getting blasted as a scout teamer...sheesh...there is a real health concern and making sure kids get their bodies right

Reactions: icwesthawk
Lester has to really explore the idea of getting another QB that fits what he wants to do this spring portal season at least add depth and have healthy competition. It's a no brainer right... That room does not impress at all right now!
I think he should develop Marco. Lainez has some rare running skills for a QB his size. Build on that.

Reactions: Garzatough85
Does the big Deacon get a pink slip when spring ball is over… It’s nothing personal but he has no business taking a scholly from someone who could really help this team.

Reactions: NI hawk
But they didn’t and are further handcuffed by schollies. You make room for a 5-star OT who started as a freshman for one of the 4 best teams in the land.

Now you don’t reach for QB depth unless you are taking a likely starter and we know they can’t do that because you guys say all the time, no one wants to play offense at Iowa. 🤷‍♂️

Seems pretty straightforward….
It was sarcasm

Does the big Deacon get a pink slip when spring ball is over… It’s nothing personal but he has no business taking a scholly from someone who could really help this team.
He may see the writing on the wall and leave on his own

If Iowa goes after a QB in the portal this spring -- which I agree would be a good idea -- I'm wondering about the type of guy they would go after and/or be able to get.

Of course, ideally, you get someone great, a guy who is clearly better than Cade and becomes the starter from Day 1. But I don't think that is very likely.

Instead, I think you have to find someone who will be content to sit behind Cade for a year, and be ready to step into the starting role in 2025. But it's also got to be a guy who is ready to fill in immediately this fall if Cade is injured (or ineffective). I think we would want a guy with starting experience, and at least 2 years of eligibility left, maybe 3. If we can find a player like that, I think we'd be stupid not to take him, even if it means Creaning someone who doesn't fit in with the team's future.

That said, I think it's worth noting that if we did find such a player, we would be at risk of losing Marco Lainez, who otherwise probably sees himself as a potential starter in 2025. But I think that is absolutely a risk you should be willing to take in the portal era of college football.

If Iowa goes after a QB in the portal this spring -- which I agree would be a good idea -- I'm wondering about the type of guy they would go after and/or be able to get.

Of course, ideally, you get someone great, a guy who is clearly better than Cade and becomes the starter from Day 1. But I don't think that is very likely.

Instead, I think you have to find someone who will be content to sit behind Cade for a year, and be ready to step into the starting role in 2025. But it's also got to be a guy who is ready to fill in immediately this fall if Cade is injured (or ineffective). I think we would want a guy with starting experience, and at least 2 years of eligibility left, maybe 3. If we can find a player like that, I think we'd be stupid not to take him, even if it means Creaning someone who doesn't fit in with the team's future.

That said, I think it's worth noting that if we did find such a player, we would be at risk of losing Marco Lainez, who otherwise probably sees himself as a potential starter in 2025. But I think that is absolutely a risk you should be willing to take in the portal era of college football.
If Marco isn't the clear #2 coming out of spring camp assuming Cade is the health #1, he will be gone anyhow.

If Marco isn't the clear #2 coming out of spring camp assuming Cade is the health #1, he will be gone anyhow.

With Cade's history, I have no problem with Marco getting most of the snaps in practice and if and when Cade is ready to go, continue to get at least 35 to 40 percent.

Yup. I agree. Lester is supposed to be good with qb's and we have to have as much talent as any of his other stops. Unproven talent, but talent non the less. Hopefully Lester is not all wishy washy with it. Yes we need a wide open competition, but the players (and maybe the fans for piece of mind) need to know the what's what so to speak. In other words, I hope coming out of spring ball we have a clear #1 QB. (yeah they can still get passed up by fall). Last year just seemed like a mess. Cade is our starter. Hasn't practiced but yeah he is #1. Whoops he got hurt and so now #2 is a totally different kind of QB. It would be nice to see some flow this spring summer. Some continuity. Because really what we have seen the last few years is the exact opposite. Our offense looked like a monkey trying to hump a football.
I don't know how you can make this assumption. McNamara was a proven QB before he was injured, but there is no one else on the roster that has shown they have what it takes to perform at this level.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT