ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa portal QB

I don't know how you can make this assumption. McNamara was a proven QB before he was injured, but there is no one else on the roster that has shown they have what it takes to perform at this level.
If you have a biathlon of throwing a ball 1000 yards, then taking on John Candy in a steak eating contest, I feel like Lester will be VERY happy about what we’ve got.

In all seriousness, I think if we can keep McNamara healthy, he will have a really good year, but yeah, the room could have some high end talent (minus one guy,) but how the fvck do we know?

What’s the conversation to have with Deacon when you tell him that he needs to just be a student… You could have open tryouts on campus and get more depth by finding someone to play Q than what he was providing!

Dochterman (I believe, can't find it now) noted on twitter that Cade has stopped following Iowa football. If true, what does this mean? Can't imagine he'd transfer again.

Dochterman (I believe, can't find it now) noted on twitter that Cade has stopped following Iowa football. If true, what does this mean? Can't imagine he'd transfer again.
i would assume that lester isn’t ready to annoint him starter yet. in his presser lester was emphatic that that he wants to evaluate his guys on the field before making any decisions. one should expect that of any good oc.

That was Kirk's Evil Twin on X. I wouldn't take it seriously.

He’s probably been told that Hill is QB1 going into spring practice (10 wins).
It‘s been pretty hard to unseat a starting quarterback during the Kirk Ferentz era, regardless of that player‘s ability and in game performance. Maybe Cade just doesn’t feel like dealing with it at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
LOL. You buncha numbnuts.

Iowa foosball:
44369966.jpg

You know there’s going to be some cuts going on after spring ball. The numbers game will play itself out.
This is where we are starting to get closer to "semi-pro" ball. Load up the rosters, then give them their severance checks and slice of Casey's pizza as they are walked out.

Again, his blocking grades don't support his being named to an all-B1G squad. No, I think you see him as more valuable than I do. The message I replied to was one saying there are no available scholarships for NIL players. My point was, I'd rather take a chance on a player from the NIL who has shown they can contribute at a higher level than Nick has contributed. Nothing against the guy personally, but as you understated, he hasn't been a super great OL.
Lester will (should) have a say in what OL he wants on his offense. I don't think swinging gates fits his "RPO" style.

Lester has to really explore the idea of getting another QB that fits what he wants to do this spring portal season at least add depth and have healthy competition. It's a no brainer right... That room does not impress at all right now!
Marco's wheels were very impressive and would fit well with the Lester system. Marco just needs snaps to work on his passing and if he gets a ton of them in spring ball, he could turn out to be a decent QB.

9% of fans in attendance this September will be shocked to see McNamara walk out of the tunnel.

They saw it on Facebook in February that Cade was gone. Kirk Ferentz even posted it on Twitter.

I think he should develop Marco. Lainez has some rare running skills for a QB his size. Build on that.
Exactly! Teaching speed not an option.
Teaching this guy proper throwing motion and reads to maximize his effectiveness would make a helluva lot more sense than messing with overweight and slow Hill! Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

Reactions: SI_NYC
Marco's wheels were very impressive and would fit well with the Lester system. Marco just needs snaps to work on his passing and if he gets a ton of them in spring ball, he could turn out to be a decent QB.
My biggest desire would be for Kirk to allow Lester to utilize two qbs in a game. I am not sure what Lester's history is with possibly doing this, but Lainez has a lot to offer as far as read option and even RPO's. Utilizing both Lainez and McNamara in a game would allow for more variety and open up our offense. I think it would also help keep McNamara healthy.

Exactly! Teaching speed not an option.
Teaching this guy proper throwing motion and reads to maximize his effectiveness would make a helluva lot more sense than messing with overweight and slow Hill! Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?
I’m not convinced that Marco is an inadequate as a passer currently believed. Just based on one performance where he was put an obvious passing downs against the defense, pinning their ears back.

Just based on what I saw in that one game it was obvious that they don’t know what the hell they’re doing in their QB evaluation. I could see maybe the first two or three games riding with Deacon, but beyond that is inexcusable.

Last edited:
Reactions: DewHawk
I’m not convinced that Marco is an inadequate as a passer currently based on one performance where he was put an obvious passing downs against the defense, pinning their ears back.

Just based on what I saw in that one game it was obvious that they don’t know what the hell they’re doing in their QB evaluation. I could see maybe the first two or three games riding with Deacon, but beyond that is inexcusable.
He had over a 70% completion rate in HS and played on the scout team all year. Give him some time with the first and second team and I think you will see him do well. Worse case scenario, he runs a lot and moves the chains at a high clip than Hill.

My biggest desire would be for Kirk to allow Lester to utilize two qbs in a game. I am not sure what Lester's history is with possibly doing this, but Lainez has a lot to offer as far as read option and even RPO's. Utilizing both Lainez and McNamara in a game would allow for more variety and open up our offense. I think it would also help keep McNamara healthy.
Two different QB's in one game without any injury? I'm not sure that is allowed.

I’m not convinced that Marco is an inadequate as a passer currently believed. Just based on one performance where he was put an obvious passing downs against the defense, pinning their ears back.

The travesty is that Marco wasn’t given opportunities earlier in the year. Agree that he was thrown into a tough situation where the run play calls were largely done.

Given our lack of playmakers and below average o line play, why not give him a chance, at least the defense would be a bit more on their heels.

Deacon has a big arm and is durable, but the stars have to be so perfectly aligned for him to sniff any success. He needs a clean, consistent pocket and a gaggle of great pass catchers. Neither of those things were happening.

He had over a 70% completion rate in HS and played on the scout team all year. Give him some time with the first and second team and I think you will see him do well. Worse case scenario, he runs a lot and moves the chains at a high clip than Hill.
A Qb that can scramble and or run for 5-8 yards AND NOT TAKE HITS, would have helped a ton with the crap OL we have had the last few years. Not even saying you have to scheme it, just having a QB that can see that the play is broken, or that he can get an easy 5 yards would have helped.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Marco said he modeled his game after Brad Banks, so a rewind to 2001 and a change-of-pace QB would be fitting.

A Qb that can scramble and or run for 5-8 yards AND NOT TAKE HITS, would have helped a ton with the crap OL we have had the last few years. Not even saying you have to scheme it, just having a QB that can see that the play is broken, or that he can get an easy 5 yards would have helped.
Beathard even with a hobbled leg was able to extend drives with his legs back in 2015. A mobile QB probably gives teams at least 2 more first downs a game. It's baffling that Kirk has been stuck with the statues for QBs for multiple years since Beathard.

Reactions: obfuscating
Having a feel for when to run and avoiding the hits goes along with having a feel for the pocket...knowing when it's moving or collapsing. Some guys are just good at it. They have a feel for the game. CJ, Banks and Drew Tate had it...Stanzi at times. Hill is about as bad as it gets. One has to wonder how much that "just don't make a mistake" in the back of their head inhibits the instincts of some Iowa QBs.

Last edited:
Beathard even with a hobbled leg was able to extend drives with his legs back in 2015. A mobile QB probably gives teams at least 2 more first downs a game. It's baffling that Kirk has been stuck with the statues for QBs for multiple years since Beathard.
And went with a statue who turned the ball over multiple times a game vs let anyone else give it a go.

Only way it could have been worse is Marco fumbling or throwing a INT every single play. Yet we were close to that with Hill

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT