ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Senate approves traffic camera regulations

Hawkman,

Are you saying the law will still allow towns under 20,000 to have fixed cameras?

If so, this law is nothing. Why can’t Ioway R’s get this done? With their majority they can get anything they want done. Oh right, shit hole Ioway needs the $$$$$ - I mean needs to be kept safe. eyeroll.gif

Raise taxes? Abby….the Governor and legislature have mandated local communities do this with their stupid-asses tax policy of the past couple of years. This “tax shift” from the State to counties and municipalities is gonna happen…and it is not gonna be pretty. The money is gonna cone from somewhere. Or services will be gone.
So what, if too many services disappear, the citizens will demand they be reinstated. If they don't demand they be reinstated, then maybe they didn't think those services were needed or weren't implemented properly in the first place.

"Obviously, there is a speeding issue that is not correctable by our local PD."
That's quite a jump. The police can't enforce the issue? Of course they could if it was a problem they felt was a priority. Which is obviously not the case or the police would have stepped up enforcement.
Interesting that the camera company tells these cities that they have a problem...one so big that they never really noticed or cared enough to do anything about before.
Cameras and technology are a pretty efficient way to handle the problem Pine. A little “oversight” by the local government and the problem could be solved. It’s a “no-brainer”….but oversight is the key…oversight and regulation… unfortunately this idea is opposed by many who value their FREEDUMB more.

This isn't about speeding, it's about collecting money,.. These communities don't want to eliminate speeding, they want to capitalize on it,.. It's no different than the state running a lottery, or taxing cigarettes, alcohol or legalized pot...

enforcing the law is bad...don't enforce the law

speed limits are just a suggestion, right? i mean...whens the last time a traffic fatality was caused by someone driving too fast?

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
If so, this law is nothing. Why can’t Ioway R’s get this done? With their majority they can get anything they want done. Oh right, shit hole Ioway needs the $$$$$ - I mean needs to be kept safe. eyeroll.gif

The article says this (Now after reading Hawkman's post I'm left wondering if towns under 20,000 can still keep their fixed cameras, which means Prairie City could keep theirs on 163 and Webster City on hwy 20).

Cities with a population of 20,000 or less could only have mobile speed camera systems to issue warnings, not tickets. At least two cities, Buffalo and LeClaire, would have to remove their mobile systems, leading to revenue reductions of 33% and 20%, respectively.

Reactions: Hawkman98
I'm on the city council of a town that is starting the process of obtaining speed cameras. I've done my research and have found out several things. One, I think we are the only town that is admitting we started looking into cameras as another revenue source. The camera company did a speed survey that showed over 2,200 speeding violations of 10mph or faster in town in 6 days. Obviously, there is a speeding issue that is not correctable by our local PD. The camera company said to plan for a 90% reduction in violators after the first year the cameras are installed. All at no cost to the citizens. The speeding problem would be solved in the areas of the cameras.

Two, because of our lovely Senators and Governor, the tax cuts have severely strained cities and counties. We are struggling to continue the services that our citizens are accustomed to. So we have three alternatives. Find another revenue source, raise taxes/utilities, or cut employees/programs. If we raise takes or rates that affects every citizen in town. Speed cameras can bring in an additional source of revenue that is violator funded. The amount of tax relief that would be available to us makes it a no brainer.

Of course, the state says not so fast, here are some speed camera restrictions. They screwed us with the tax cuts, prevented us from raising taxes to replace the lost funds and now try to place guidelines on speed cameras. Here is what we were told. It's not a camera ban, it just places certain guidelines the cities and camera companies must now follow. One that we were told is getting misunderstood is no cameras in cities under 20K. We were told that is for mobile cameras and not fixed cameras.

Regardless of how you feel about speed cameras, they do solve two problems. It does reduce speed and provides revenues to prevent having to raise taxes/rates. Don't speed and it cost you nothing.
The Iowa voters similar to Kansas have chosen this path. Of low taxes. Time to gut services.

Last edited:
Reactions: abby97
And? Your point??
Simply don’t speed, dummy!

Thank you, that's exactly my point,.. These are all viewed as "sin" taxes,.. People accept them because they see them as only applying to someone else,... Someone dumber, less informed, less socially acceptable,.. Does anyone ever complain about cigarette taxes?,.. Hell no, phuck those idiots.

Last edited:
if speed enforcement by camera is bad, why is speed enforcement by officer OK?

is the problem that cameras make speed enforcement too efficient?

The voters similar Iowa voters similar to Kansas have chosen this path. Of low taxes. Time to gut services.
I agree, the government needs to act like it's citizens. If a town doesn't have enough money they cut services to remain in the black. If the cuts hurt too bad, the people can choose other programs or services to cut or decide they need to raise taxes.

This isn't about speeding, it's about collecting money,.. These communities don't want to eliminate speeding, they want to capitalize on it,.. It's no different than the state running a lottery, or taxing cigarettes, alcohol or legalized pot...
I said that the other day. Speed cameras are a tax on the stupid, just like the lottery.

No, it's that they don't change behavior or make people safer.
They exist to take money from people not familiar with the area. All the locals know where to slow down and speed up.

I agree, the government needs to act like it's citizens. If a town doesn't have enough money they cut services to remain in the black. If the cuts hurt too bad, the people can choose other programs or services to cut or decide they need to raise taxes.
Or if they decide they don’t like it. Elect someone else. And change the system back. Most likely what will eventually happen will be fees instead of taxes. To make up the differences. Texas, Florida, etc have a lot of fees.

Again…..that is a “community decision”……and I am no politician. But I am not apologizing either. I just dont have a problem with reigning in speeders on public roadways. Sadly, all this “FREEDUMB” is leading us on the road to anarchy and zero rules/responsibility….and we Americans are not smart enough to handle that responsibility.
How does this deter speeders when they get a ticket in thr mail they are not allowed to contest weeks later?

No, it's that they don't change behavior or make people safer.
They exist to take money from people not familiar with the area. All the locals know where to slow down and speed up.
same can be said for enforcement by officer

locals know where cops set up...people from outside the area don't

if you're unfamiliar with an area, stay within 9 MPH of the speed limit

I commend your town for admitting that they’re getting cameras purely a cash grab.
This is where I'm at. Go ahead and install as many as you want — I'm fine with that. But just admit that it's a cash grab and explain the reasons you need the cash. Stop with all of the virtue signaling about speeding and public safety.

same can be said for enforcement by officer

locals know where cops set up...people from outside the area don't

if you're unfamiliar with an area, stay within 10 MPH of the speed limit
Uh, no, the same can't be said. An officer can talk to people, do their job and communicate with citizens. Hear the context of the situation (going to the hospital, etc.). Locals know where cops set up...lol.
Yeah, great reason to just stick up a camera.
The police force should be reduced if their jobs can largely be done by camera.

Reactions: Ree4 and LunchBox50
While not the desired outcome, it's a start.

Towns under 20,000 are out of luck.

The cameras should be regulated by the State so that there is a consistent application of their use and enforcement. I think it's OK for cities to enforce speed limits, and cops should have better things to do. All law enforcement comes with a fine. I always thought the the biggest objection by the State is that it wasn't getting a piece of the action.

Living in Cedar Rapids, I frequently drive through the I-380 cameras. Traffic flow through that area is generally about 60-65 MPH with a slight decrease in the actual camera area. The high flyers blowing through there at 70 MPH deserve a ticket as they are usually the ones weaving in and out of lanes. Anyone that is aware of the cameras and still gets a ticket deserves one... for being stupid.

I drove Highway 20 to Sioux City last month and hit the parachute button as soon as I saw the "photo enforced" sign at WC. Since I know what the cameras look like, I knew when I was clear and resumed my usual speed. I've seen a few mobile units in Illinois as well especially in construction zones.

Not a big deal at all

• Sad
How does this deter speeders when they get a ticket in thr mail they are not allowed to contest weeks later?
on a given road at a given time, what percentage of drivers are out-of-towners that will never return?

(hint: its very low)

the single best thing you can do to improve traffic safety and reduce crash severity is to lower speeds...enforcement by camera is one way to do it

Uh, no, the same can't be said. An officer can talk to people, do their job and communicate with citizens. Hear the context of the situation (going to the hospital, etc.). Locals know where cops set up...lol.
Yeah, great reason to just stick up a camera.
The police force should be reduced if their jobs can largely be done by camera.
or we can use police to something other than write traffic tickets

The article says this (Now after reading Hawkman's post I'm left wondering if towns under 20,000 can still keep their fixed cameras, which means Prairie City could keep theirs on 163 and Webster City on hwy 20).

Cities with a population of 20,000 or less could only have mobile speed camera systems to issue warnings, not tickets. At least two cities, Buffalo and LeClaire, would have to remove their mobile systems, leading to revenue reductions of 33% and 20%, respectively.
But they could only issue warnings, right? That would cost them money and wouldn’t have any impact.

i don't know...but if the only thing they have to do is write speeding tickets and there's a better, more cost effective way of doing that, why shouldn't they embrace it?

police forces aren't cheap
If that is the only thing they have to do...then that is exactly what they should be doing...their job...
People are also ignoring that these cameras leave a very bad impression of some of our cities and state.
And, leave out of towners with the desire to never return and spend any money in those communities.

"I got two from one weekend…. Driving each way through that town for work years ago – really late at night on an empty highway. Can’t remember the cost, but it was a lot… my lesson, stay out of Iowa, Cedar Rapids for darn sure. I expect to pay a ticket now and then, two big ones in 48 hours exceeded my threshold
(

Do it in a rental car where that company adds a surcharge and it is even worse."

"For example, in May 23, here is the breakdown of tickets issued-

29% Cedar Rapids residents
10% Linn County outside of CR
25% Iowa resident outside of Linn County
36% Other States"

Reactions: LunchBox50
But they could only issue warnings, right? That would cost them money and wouldn’t have any impact.

For mobile camera units, yes. Those are the police cars that they move all over town. Only warnings from the way I read it.

My question is can they still retain fixed cameras?

Based on what Hawkman said, it looks like that may be the case.

You phrase it however you need to phrase it…how about just drive the god damned speed limit?
This issue is just a test for if the citizens of the US are going to stand for complete and total video and audio surveillance in the future. People like you will be in support. Until the wrong authorities end up in charge.
At which point it will be too late. But, make no mistake, we will find ourselves in that position because of people like you.

Reactions: Ree4 and LunchBox50
If that is the only thing they have to do...then that is exactly what they should be doing...their job...
People are also ignoring that these cameras leave a very bad impression of some of our cities and state.
And, leave out of towners with the desire to never return and spend any money in those communities.

"I got two from one weekend…. Driving each way through that town for work years ago – really late at night on an empty highway. Can’t remember the cost, but it was a lot… my lesson, stay out of Iowa, Cedar Rapids for darn sure. I expect to pay a ticket now and then, two big ones in 48 hours exceeded my threshold
(

Do it in a rental car where that company adds a surcharge and it is even worse."

36% Other States"
an alternate takeaway for this person would be "don't speed in cedar rapids because they actually have enforcement"

i get it...we all speed...i do it too

but i do it with the knowledge that i'm breaking the law and if i get caught, i get fined...this isn't unfair

as speeds increase, crash frequency and crash severity increase - this is a statistical fact...slowing people down, making them think twice before going more than 10 over the speed limit isn't bad or unfair or unrelated to improving safety...no matter how much you personally dislike it

South side of Charles city has some. Ridiculous, massive wide 4 lane road with limited traffic and they have a 35mph speed limit with cameras.

Fricking money grab in many cases. Reduce police force or raise your local taxes.

Nevada on Highway 30 doesn’t have cameras but they reduce the speed limit there for no F’ing reason and the local police have a field day nailing speeders.

(

36% Other States"
I am very sure that no matter where you go in America...speed limits are enforced, and you should expect to pay a fine if you are caught. People will not boycott based on a traffic ticket. The cost to go around Iowa would be more than the cost of the ticket. Slowing down from 70 MPH to 60MPH as you drive the 2 or so miles between the cameras in CR might cost you 20 seconds of time?

Reactions: EagleHawk
I am very sure that no matter where you go in America...speed limits are enforced, and you should expect to pay a fine if you are caught. People will not boycott based on a traffic ticket. The cost to go around Iowa would be more than the cost of the ticket.
I do. I actively avoid going to Cedar Rapids or spending any money there. I'm sure I'm not the only area resident who does the same.

actually, it's that they dont really contribute to safety, and in fact may lead to the opposite

Consider how many times you're cruising down a road, maintaining a 'normal' (whatever that is) following distance to traffic in front of you at a similar speed. Suddenly, as you enter a known camera zone, a guy up the line stands on the brakes. maybe you rear end him maybe you don't. then also consider, if you don't, the fact that as soon as he passes the camera, said guy accelerates without necessarily looking around him

It's almost as nonsensical as the sign that went up at an intersection down the block from my house. I live about a block away from a school. The intersection in question includes a road that is about 1.5 vehicles wide, and has a stop sign control. If you go straight, on to a road now labeled "20 mph speed limit" that is about 250 yards long before coming to a t, you proceed on to a road that is about 3.5 cars wide but, because it's near a school, virtually always has cars parked on both sides of the street. You couldn't hit 20 mph on that street if you wanted to, and certainly not coming from the narrow one lane road with the stop sign, or turning on to it from the narrow road it intersects with.

enforcing the law is bad...don't enforce the law

speed limits are just a suggestion, right? i mean...whens the last time a traffic fatality was caused by someone driving too fast?
You're absolutely correct — so then why is Webster City installing cameras in locations where there hasn't been a crash in the past five years?

actually, it's that they dont really contribute to safety, and in fact may lead to the opposite

Consider how many times you're cruising down a road, maintaining a 'normal' (whatever that is) following distance to traffic in front of you at a similar speed. Suddenly, as you enter a known camera zone, a guy up the line stands on the brakes. maybe you rear end him maybe you don't. then also consider, if you don't, the fact that as soon as he passes the camera, said guy accelerates without necessarily looking around him
you honestly think people slamming on the breaks as they enter a camera enforcement area is a bigger problem (at the macro level) for traffic safety than speeding?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT