ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Senate approves traffic camera regulations

Then it's time to cut services.

That's how household budgets works.

Inflation is killing the average family. You make tough decisions. The government should be no different.
So you are saying defund the police . . . really????

You have no idea how hard it is to cut the services that are effectively mandated. Ask Hawkman, and most of those services are built in with no real ability to cut. You going to cut the courthouse?? You going to cut City Hall??? What are you going to cut?? The city municipalities are getting a reduction in tax money yet expected to continue to provide services in the inflation environment that you describe. Sounds like it will be successful, or it was a shitty tax plan that will be killing us for years.

I have no doubt Kimmie will go down as one of the worst governors of Iowa.

That's the reason for my complaint — be honest about what this is. Quit pretending this is about public safety, because it's not. It's about grabbing cash, mostly from people who are simply passing through on a major highway. If a city came out and says "We're doing this to rake in money and not raise local taxes," I'd have more respect for such projects.
As long as “locals” ain’t paying…. Who cares, right?
This is the philosophy behind “hotel/motel taxes” abs car rental “franchise fees”..taking money from outsiders and converting it to local use. Every here anyone say “cancel the vacation, the hotel/motel tax is too high or the tax in the rental car is a deal breaker?”

As long as “locals” ain’t paying…. Who cares, right?
This is the philosophy behind “hotel/motel taxes” abs car rental “franchise fees”..taking money from outsiders and converting it to local use. Every here anyone say “cancel the vacation, the hotel/motel tax is too high or the tax in the rental car is a deal breaker?”

That's what I did. Oelwein, West Union, Fayette, and the rest of the HWY150 gang don't see my millions anymore. New Hampton and HWY63 say thank you!

Reactions: Pinehawk
Then it's time to cut services.

That's how household budgets works.

Inflation is killing the average family. You make tough decisions. The government should be no different.
Isn’t one if the first things a “family” might consider is bringing MORE revenue into the home? Taking on extra jobs, a parttime job? Maybe it’s time to figure out a tax scheme in Iowa that will adequately provide for everyone….just not the well to do?

Inflation is a symptom of the disease, not the disease. Spending $$ on infrastructure and. ASICS (education, job training) is always money well spent over the long haul. Selfishness and greed is what gas lead us to where we are today.

If so, this law is nothing. Why can’t Ioway R’s get this done? With their majority they can get anything they want done. Oh right, shit hole Ioway needs the $$$$$ - I mean needs to be kept safe. eyeroll.gif

@Hawki97 I believe we have the answer.

WOI 5 just interviewed the chief in Prairie City. According to the segment from the way he reads the bill it will have only a small impact on them because only one of their speed cams is a mobile unit.

So apparently the other 3 fixed cams will be allowed.
Another change is they will now charge low end offenders $75 instead of $100.

So unless the DOT steps in and doesn't approve the 3 fixed cams, then very little will change.

1040 WHO just had a lawmaker on who claimed that the DOT will disapprove a number of the cameras so there may still be a positive outcome on that end. So maybe they will take care of Praire City's operation.

@Hawki97 I believe we have the answer.

WOI 5 just interviewed the chief in Prairie City. According to the segment from the way he reads the bill it will have only a small impact on them because only one of their speed cams is a mobile unit.

So apparently the other 3 fixed cams will be allowed.
Another change is they will now charge low end offenders $75 instead of $100.

So unless the DOT steps in and doesn't approve the 3 fixed cams, then very little will change.

1040 WHO just had a lawmaker on who claimed that the DOT will disapprove a number of the cameras so there may still be a positive outcome on that end. So maybe they will take care of Praire City's operation.

Interesting. I’d like to know more about this gatekeeper.

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier because I do feel compelled to jump in and have a feeling my thoughts have already been stated.

I will say that I can’t stand these cameras. But I do support their purpose. Ive heard/read many people in law enforcement that are in favor of them. They can feee up time for actual police work. Why not back the blue here?

To those that say they are a money grab, I don’t know if you are defending your driving or maybe visitors that are taken off guard. I’m ok with the revenue coming in. Don’t like it? Then obey the limit. It’s the law. All of us have gotten used to breaking that law when we can get away with it (I did it today). Don’t like laws? Get in line. Why the **** have laws anyway?

This debate is particularly fun because I see really mad people on both sides of the political spectrum taking sides together. Pretty cool to see (as long as they agree with me).

I guess I just don’t understand why it feels like a right to break the law as long as no one is watching. I get the fear of cameras being so invasive in our lives. That’s probably more of my beef. But this one seems harmless. My license plate shows up on 100’s of cameras a day so I’m going to have a hard time getting away with the big heist I’ve been planning for 20 years. Damn it.

We drove in Germany last year and there are cameras on cars (tracking speed) every where. Across the entire country. Driving was a joy. When I could I lit it up to 125mph and it was clearly marked where that was ok (their roads and infrastructure made that enjoyable but that’s a different topic).

As a counter point, my wife (no pics)! Is a lead foot and hates this camera shit (although she did still appreciate the system of well marked limits or no limits in Germany).

Reactions: Hawkman98
What's amazing to me is that you fail to see the problems with speed cameras. In you above statement you admit your city wants to place the cameras to raise money. Then you say the firm that supplies the cameras tells you history shows there will be a 90% reduction in speeders after the first year. So what happens to the programs funded by the ticket revenue after the first year? I'll tell you want happens, you lower speed limits to catch more drivers, you place more cameras in other locations and you try more creative ways to bilk the citizens. Raise taxes or lower services until your population agrees taxes need to be raised. Stop trying to take the easy way out.
You're making statements that just aren't factual. As a city, we were told not to budget for any fine money. Whatever you get you get. As a city, we decided to keep all the fine money for the year and whatever is available come budget time, we will decide how to use that money at that time. No programs are funded strictly by the fine revenue. The cameras are in 25mph zones, so no way to lower them, nor would we want to. Also, the camera company doesn't put cameras in areas that don't have speeding issues. If their speed study shows there is not a speed problem they aren't going to spend the money to install cameras.

"Obviously, there is a speeding issue that is not correctable by our local PD."
That's quite a jump. The police can't enforce the issue? Of course they could if it was a problem they felt was a priority. Which is obviously not the case or the police would have stepped up enforcement.
Interesting that the camera company tells these cities that they have a problem...one so big that they never really noticed or cared enough to do anything about before.
They are R.O.D. (retired on duty)

Not true in my case. I will not traverse the traffic camera gauntlet that is HWY150 after a total bullshit one I got (long story linked below) in Oelwein. Plenty of ways to get to SE Minnesota without that BS. I drive to that area a lot and spend along the way in multiple towns. Now I just hit HWY63 and just have to double check in Chester.

Also, I'm not a speeder generally (beyond 5-7mph). Only one officer given ticket in my life. However, as evidenced by my boycott of HWY150, I am one hard headed vindictive son of a bitch when something I deem stupid comes to fruition.

Well, that's two of us!
A town that has cameras in my general area heard the same thing. People saying they will no longer go to their town because of the cameras. The first year after the cameras were installed that town's local option sales tax went up 11%

A town that has cameras in my general area heard the same thing. People saying they will no longer go to their town because of the cameras. The first year after the cameras were installed that town's local option sales tax went up 11%

Good for them. Doesn’t change my post as it was only about my stubborn ass. Oelwein can phuck right off and won’t be seeing me in the future unless I absolutely have to go there.

That's what I did. Oelwein, West Union, Fayette, and the rest of the HWY150 gang don't see my millions anymore. New Hampton and HWY63 say thank you!

LOL. Better get your road map out and start plotting the county roads.

In addition to the one already in Chester, "there's talk of one going up on Highway 63 in Howard County".

LOL. Better get your road map out and start plotting the county roads.

In addition to the one already in Chester, "there's talk of one going up on Highway 63 in Howard County".

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Good for them. Doesn’t change my post as it was only about my stubborn ass. Oelwein can phuck right off and won’t be seeing me in the future unless I absolutely have to go there.
Well you will want to avoid Hwy. 63 too then because there will be cameras along there as well. Watch out for Chester I hear their cameras make a killing.

Could have been 15%.

This issue is just a test for if the citizens of the US are going to stand for complete and total video and audio surveillance in the future. People like you will be in support. Until the wrong authorities end up in charge.
At which point it will be too late. But, make no mistake, we will find ourselves in that position because of people like you.
Congrats! You have read “1984”…..Presently the barbarians at the door are much less subtle…. The one’s I worry about recently tried to overthrow this nation’s Constitution and are actively supporting a man who has promised America, if elected he will continue to go down this road…I am not worried about having someone monitor my speed electronically.

• Sad
Well you will want to avoid Hwy. 63 too then because there will be cameras along there as well. Watch out for Chester I hear their cameras make a killing.

I'm well aware of Chester. It blows like they all do but it's not as bullshit as the one in Oelwien. As far as more going up - dying shithole Ioway gonna dying shithole Ioway I guess.

Last edited:
Congrats! You have read “1984”…..Presently the barbarians at the door are much less subtle…. The one’s I worry about recently tried to overthrow this nation’s Constitution and are actively supporting a man who has promised America, if elected he will continue to go down this road…I am not worried about having someone monitor my speed electronically.
How about your computer? Because with thinking like yours, that's the future of this county.

Maybe they shouldn’t be allowed unless there has been a certain amount of accidents in that are attributed solely to excessive speed.

After all it’s about safety and not revenue.

Most of the ones I see are in spots where the speed limit should be higher.

Reactions: LunchBox50
This is a great way to enforce some laws without having a bunch of money everyday enforcing them.
We need to figure out ways to enforce more laws like this.

• Wow
Maybe they shouldn’t be allowed unless there has been a certain amount of accidents in that are attributed solely to excessive speed.

After all it’s about safety and not revenue.

Most of the ones I see are in spots where the speed limit should be higher.
Precisely. In the case of Webster City, they are issuing more than $1 million worth of tickets in just a few months for a stretch of highway that hasn't seen a crash in at least five years. I completely understand having these in some areas, like the ones along 380 in CR or on 235 in DSM, or other places that have proven to be prone to crashes and pose a clear safety threat. That's not what's happening, though. These are being installed in certain locales simply to maximize profits for municipalities under the guise of safety.

When you turn the enforcement of laws into a money making venture, there is no incentive to reduce those offenses. In fact, reducing them will cost the police and city money.

The Charles city exit on 218 is prime example about it having zero to do with safety and all about money. 4 lane road, wide enough to be a six lane road with zero houses and they stick speed cameras on it and set the speed limit stupid low.

I can understand Red light cameras and speed cameras in school zones to be used during school hours.

These cameras are not ticketing drivers, they are ticketing the owner of the car. Which is why this shit shouldn’t be legal in the first place.

The Charles city exit on 218 is prime example about it having zero to do with safety and all about money. 4 lane road, wide enough to be a six lane road with zero houses and they stick speed cameras on it and set the speed limit stupid low.

I can understand Red light cameras and speed cameras in school zones to be used during school hours.

These cameras are not ticketing drivers, they are ticketing the owner of the car. Which is why this shit shouldn’t be legal in the first place.
The practice of ticketing cars not drivers has been going on your entire life in every city that you have ever lived in. I have never known anyone that has received a parking ticket handed to them in person. It goes on the car. Doesn't matter that your friend borrowed your car and parked illegally. You're still getting the bill. And you should because it's YOUR car.

• Haha
Just use your bicycle.

Luckily the radar can’t even detect me or I’d be screwed.

roadie-cyclist.gif

I don't know, but according to hawkman who sounds like they have a lot more experience with this it works pretty dang well if violators are reduced by 90%.
Oh sure sure. The company that wants to sell the locality speed cameras and create am ongoing cash flow has convinced a local leader using a pitch on safety that will also coincidentally create a cash flow for the town.

Seems like a great idea.

I don't know, but according to hawkman who sounds like they have a lot more experience with this it works pretty dang well if violators are reduced by 90%.
He didn't say violators were reduced by 90%. He said the camera company claimed to expect a 90% reduction in violations. I asked him if he received any proof to back that claim and he didn’t respond.

Reactions: hawkedoff
No, I said what I said, and didn't suggest anything. You spout off like everything you say is absolutely true everywhere. It's not.

For instance, you say towns don't have the ability to set speed limits on their own. That's blatantly false because it depends on who maintains the road in most states. State DOT's set the limit for interstates and state roads Counties set the limit for county roads. Cities set the limit for city maintained roads.

I can assure you that 85% of the people traveling on I-10 in Texas are traveling over the speed limit, and probably more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. I'm sure every poster on this board can tell you there are local roads they travel that conflict with your rule.
It is hilarious circular reasoning isn't it? We need to install cameras because so many people are speeding and causing death and destruction but we also at the exact time the cameras were installed lowered the speed limit to what 85 percent of the people drive. Cedar Rapids lowered their speed limit on the s curve through downtown at the same time cameras were installed. They of course point to their own statistics which no one else has to the cameras as a reason crashes are down due to cameras. No mention or course that they lowered the speed limit. They got smacked around on a lawsuit a while back because they didn't follow the law on providing notice to drivers of an upcoming lowered speed limit. Their signs were too close. Government can break the law to enforce the law.

I'm curious why these same companies decrease the time on yellow lights on red light cameras. Is that safety as well? Funny how they don't publish the statistics on how many tickets are issued for turning right on red, how many intersections with these red light cameras now have a no turn on red regulation, and how much rear end accidents increased at these intersections.

If a company is willing to manipulate red light cameras and intersections what is stopping them from simply issuing a ticket on speed cameras for a certain percentage of cars regardless of actual speed? Good luck fighting one of these tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT