ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Senate approves traffic camera regulations

I do. I actively avoid going to Cedar Rapids or spending any money there. I'm sure I'm not the only area resident who does the same.
Where do you live where traffic speed is not enforced? We'll try to survive without your support.

you honestly think people slamming on the breaks as they enter a camera enforcement area is a bigger problem (at the macro level) for traffic safety than speeding?
The real danger associate with 'speed' is not 'speed per se,' but rather differentials in speed among vehicles in a close environment.

Reactions: Ree4 and Pinehawk
I am very sure that no matter where you go in America...speed limits are enforced, and you should expect to pay a fine if you are caught. People will not boycott based on a traffic ticket. The cost to go around Iowa would be more than the cost of the ticket. Slowing down from 70 MPH to 60MPH as you drive the 2 or so miles between the cameras in CR might cost you 20 seconds of time?

I've boycotted a town.

Where do you live where traffic speed is not enforced? We'll try to survive without your support.
I live where traffic is enforced by actual people. The people who we pay to do that job.
If they want to turn over their job to a camera, then we don't need as many police anymore.

Reactions: Ree4 and LunchBox50
@joelbc1 how far over the speed limit do you typically go?
7.. on state /county roads…72 on interstates…in town and freeways…about the limit…by Waveland… 57 mph…
Haven’t gotten a speeding tix in 30 years..Urbandale got me going 32 in a 25 at 1130 pm coming home from work…(I remember laughing in the cops face when he told me he was writing me! He didn’t like that! ) small town cops are a funny breed.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
You're absolutely correct — so then why is Webster City installing cameras in locations where there hasn't been a crash in the past five years?
don't know for sure...but id guess that they have some kind of documentation that shows a problem with excessive speeds

I am very sure that no matter where you go in America...speed limits are enforced, and you should expect to pay a fine if you are caught. People will not boycott based on a traffic ticket. The cost to go around Iowa would be more than the cost of the ticket. Slowing down from 70 MPH to 60MPH as you drive the 2 or so miles between the cameras in CR might cost you 20 seconds of time?

Not true in my case. I will not traverse the traffic camera gauntlet that is HWY150 after a total bullshit one I got (long story linked below) in Oelwein. Plenty of ways to get to SE Minnesota without that BS. I drive to that area a lot and spend along the way in multiple towns. Now I just hit HWY63 and just have to double check in Chester.

Also, I'm not a speeder generally (beyond 5-7mph). Only one officer given ticket in my life. However, as evidenced by my boycott of HWY150, I am one hard headed vindictive son of a bitch when something I deem stupid comes to fruition.

I've boycotted a town.

Well, that's two of us!

Last edited:
7.. on state /county roads…72 on interstates…in town and freeways…about the limit…by Waveland… 57 mph…
Haven’t gotten a speeding tix in 30 years..Urbandale got me going 32 in a 25 at 1130 pm coming home from work…(I remember laughing in the cops face when he told me he was writing me! He didn’t like that! ) small town cops are a funny breed.

So you break the law.

Reactions: LunchBox50
I live where traffic is enforced by actual people. The people who we pay to do that job.
If they want to turn over their job to a camera, then we don't need as many police anymore.
Sure Jan. Like no town has ever set up speed traps by "actual people" to "enforce" traffic speed. There are towns that are famous for it and you know that. but that's ok I guess.

• Haha
Ask the city fathers…not my issue. Again, drive the speed limit and no one cares! How tough a concept is this for you to grasp?
You just admitted that you don't drive the speed limit, and break the law.
You just don't have a problem with the level of speeding that you choose to do.

for reference - 52% of fatalities and serious injuries in iowa were speed related from 2017 -2021
thats 860 fatalities

Reactions: joelbc1
If you get pulled over by an officer, deputy or trooper, then sure. Pay the fine and face the music. I'm not OK with turning over law enforcement to computers, cameras and robots. Because where does it end? If cameras are the solution to stopping speeding in Iowa, then why not have every vehicle owner be required to install an Intoxalock? That would dramatically curb drunk driving. That way cops aren't spending time looking for drunks because technology can solve the problem.

Sure Jan. Like no town has ever set up speed traps by "actual people" to "enforce" traffic speed. There are towns that are famous for it and you know that. but that's ok I guess.
Yeah, it is. Because it was done by actual officers, who likely chose that spot based on actual data and safety concerns. Not just to raise money in the laziest way possible.

You just admitted that you don't drive the speed limit, and break the law.
You just don't have a problem with the level of speeding that you choose to do.
I don’t understand why those who speed and get caught are crying when they have to pay the fine! Those folks should not speed.
I admit I speed occasionally.. but understand, I keep up with the flow for the most part…I ain’t setting trends.

• Haha
If you get pulled over by an officer, deputy or trooper, then sure. Pay the fine and face the music. I'm not OK with turning over law enforcement to computers, cameras and robots. Because where does it end? If cameras are the solution to stopping speeding in Iowa, then why not have every vehicle owner be required to install an Intoxalock? That would dramatically curb drunk driving. That way cops aren't spending time looking for drunks because technology can solve the problem.
Stuff like that is the logical extension of where these people want surveillance and enforcement to go.

Joel - 'if you aren't driving drunk, then what's the problem with an interlock on everyone's car?!'
'If you aren't breaking the law, then who cares if a law enforcement drone just follows you around?!'

Reactions: Ree4 and LunchBox50
City’s encourage their police to monitor DWI traffic. I can’t think of a single exception to this. Alcohol inhibits. Speed exasperates. .

Stuff like that is the logical extension of where these people want surveillance and enforcement to go.

Joel - 'if you aren't driving drunk, then what's the problem with an interlock on everyone's car?!'
'If you aren't breaking the law, then who cares if a law enforcement drone just follows you around?!'
Needless expense to have the equipment.

Needless expense to have the equipment.
Intoxalocks in every vehicle would save lives and keep the public safe from drunk drivers. It would save cities money from having cops patrolling late at night for drunks and the equipment would be courtesy of a private company. You think equipment that would protect the public is needless? Why don't you want to stop drunk driving in Iowa?

Reactions: tape
I'm on the city council of a town that is starting the process of obtaining speed cameras. I've done my research and have found out several things. One, I think we are the only town that is admitting we started looking into cameras as another revenue source. The camera company did a speed survey that showed over 2,200 speeding violations of 10mph or faster in town in 6 days. Obviously, there is a speeding issue that is not correctable by our local PD. The camera company said to plan for a 90% reduction in violators after the first year the cameras are installed. All at no cost to the citizens. The speeding problem would be solved in the areas of the cameras.

Two, because of our lovely Senators and Governor, the tax cuts have severely strained cities and counties. We are struggling to continue the services that our citizens are accustomed to. So we have three alternatives. Find another revenue source, raise taxes/utilities, or cut employees/programs. If we raise takes or rates that affects every citizen in town. Speed cameras can bring in an additional source of revenue that is violator funded. The amount of tax relief that would be available to us makes it a no brainer.

Of course, the state says not so fast, here are some speed camera restrictions. They screwed us with the tax cuts, prevented us from raising taxes to replace the lost funds and now try to place guidelines on speed cameras. Here is what we were told. It's not a camera ban, it just places certain guidelines the cities and camera companies must now follow. One that we were told is getting misunderstood is no cameras in cities under 20K. We were told that is for mobile cameras and not fixed cameras.

Regardless of how you feel about speed cameras, they do solve two problems. It does reduce speed and provides revenues to prevent having to raise taxes/rates. Don't speed and it cost you nothing.
Since you prefaced your post with a declaration of due dillegence, I assume you asked for and were provided evidence of claimed reduction in speeding. Right?

on a given road at a given time, what percentage of drivers are out-of-towners that will never return?

(hint: its very low)

the single best thing you can do to improve traffic safety and reduce crash severity is to lower speeds...enforcement by camera is one way to do it
I'd guess this depends on where the cameras are located. In Cedar Rapids, 380 goes through town. The last time I checked though, Hwy 20 doesn't go through Humboldt, it goes past it. In that case the vast majority are going to be out of towners.

In most states, speed limits are set based on safety. If a massive number of people are driving more than 10 MPH over the limit, perhaps the limit has been set artificially low to generate speeding tickets. It's like when Barney Fife started handing out speeding tickets outside of Mayberry, leading to trucks not being able to make it up the next hill.

In most states, speed limits are set based on safety. If a massive number of people are driving more than 10 MPH over the limit, perhaps the limit has been set artificially low to generate speeding tickets. It's like when Barney Fife started handing out speeding tickets outside of Mayberry, leading to trucks not being able to make it up the next hill.
not true

usually the speed limit is set based on 85% percentile speed determined in a speed study of the corridor

a lot of places will ask DOTs to lower the speed limits and the DOTs will say no

Uh, no, the same can't be said. An officer can talk to people, do their job and communicate with citizens. Hear the context of the situation (going to the hospital, etc.). Locals know where cops set up...lol.
Yeah, great reason to just stick up a camera.
The police force should be reduced if their jobs can largely be done by camera.

Getting pulled over by police is high stress situation for both the officer and the driver.

Police are extremely expensive. Most in Iowa get paid 60K just in salary which doesn't include their incredibly good benefits in most cases.

Yes, we should be trying to reduce police forces for mundane tasks like speed enforcement, and getting them back to working a beat in populated areas, not sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for somebody driving too fast to go by.

How does this deter speeders when they get a ticket in thr mail they are not allowed to contest weeks later?

I'm on the city council of a town that is starting the process of obtaining speed cameras. I've done my research and have found out several things. One, I think we are the only town that is admitting we started looking into cameras as another revenue source. The camera company did a speed survey that showed over 2,200 speeding violations of 10mph or faster in town in 6 days. Obviously, there is a speeding issue that is not correctable by our local PD. The camera company said to plan for a 90% reduction in violators after the first year the cameras are installed. All at no cost to the citizens. The speeding problem would be solved in the areas of the cameras.

I don't know, but according to hawkman who sounds like they have a lot more experience with this it works pretty dang well if violators are reduced by 90%.

Reactions: Hawkman98
not true

usually the speed limit is set based on 85% percentile speed determined in a speed study of the corridor

a lot of places will ask DOTs to lower the speed limits and the DOTs will say no
What you posted doesn't conflict with anything I posted. Try again.

What you posted doesn't conflict with anything I posted. Try again.
you're suggesting the speed limits are intentionally set low to enable fund raising through enforcement

in reality, the speed limits are determined specifically so that they reflect the speeds at which most people (85%) are traveling...

Intoxalocks in every vehicle would save lives and keep the public safe from drunk drivers. It would save cities money from having cops patrolling late at night for drunks and the equipment would be courtesy of a private company. You think equipment that would protect the public is needless? Why don't you want to stop drunk driving in Iowa?

Only problem here is that it makes no sense in this context.

Intoxalocks would be a massive expense that would either cost every driver in Iowa, or the state would have to pay for it which is likely the only way it would be allowed. Thus, it would be a huge expense to the state.

Speed cameras are a huge boon to local governments.

you're suggesting the speed limits are intentionally set low to enable fund raising through enforcement

in reality, the speed limits are determined specifically so that they reflect the speeds at which most people (85%) are traveling...
No, I said what I said, and didn't suggest anything. You spout off like everything you say is absolutely true everywhere. It's not.

For instance, you say towns don't have the ability to set speed limits on their own. That's blatantly false because it depends on who maintains the road in most states. State DOT's set the limit for interstates and state roads Counties set the limit for county roads. Cities set the limit for city maintained roads.

I can assure you that 85% of the people traveling on I-10 in Texas are traveling over the speed limit, and probably more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. I'm sure every poster on this board can tell you there are local roads they travel that conflict with your rule.

Speed cameras are a huge boon to local governments.
That's the reason for my complaint — be honest about what this is. Quit pretending this is about public safety, because it's not. It's about grabbing cash, mostly from people who are simply passing through on a major highway. If a city came out and says "We're doing this to rake in money and not raise local taxes," I'd have more respect for such projects.

Two, because of our lovely Senators and Governor, the tax cuts have severely strained cities and counties. We are struggling to continue the services that our citizens are accustomed to. So we have three alternatives. Find another revenue source, raise taxes/utilities, or cut employees/programs. If we raise takes or rates that affects every citizen in town. Speed cameras can bring in an additional source of revenue that is violator funded. The amount of tax relief that would be available to us makes it a no brainer.

Of course, the state says not so fast, here are some speed camera restrictions. They screwed us with the tax cuts, prevented us from raising taxes to replace the lost funds and now try to place guidelines on speed cameras. Here is what we were told. It's not a camera ban, it just places certain guidelines the cities and camera companies must now follow. One that we were told is getting misunderstood is no cameras in cities under 20K. We were told that is for mobile cameras and not fixed cameras.

Regardless of how you feel about speed cameras, they do solve two problems. It does reduce speed and provides revenues to prevent having to raise taxes/rates. Don't speed and it cost you nothing.
This is the world we live in. There is not enough tax dollars for municipalities in the new tax law, until millage rates increase, and in the meantime, alternative revenue sources need to be found. But we will be told how good the new tax program is. I am estimating from my office alone, 400k less in Iowa tax from previous years.

This is the world we live in. There is not enough tax dollars for municipalities in the new tax law, until millage rates increase, and in the meantime, alternative revenue sources need to be found. But we will be told how good the new tax program is. I am estimating from my office alone, 400k less in Iowa tax from previous years.

Then it's time to cut services.

That's how household budgets works.

Inflation is killing the average family. You make tough decisions. The government should be no different.

That's the reason for my complaint — be honest about what this is. Quit pretending this is about public safety, because it's not. It's about grabbing cash, mostly from people who are simply passing through on a major highway. If a city came out and says "We're doing this to rake in money and not raise local taxes," I'd have more respect for such projects.

Why can’t it be both? I have no problem enforcing laws and attempting to bring unsafe behavior in line while charging those who choose to break them.

Reactions: EagleHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT