ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa sets aside almost $180 million for year two of voucher program

Damn, you're quick. I deleted that post right after I posted it because I wanted to avoid a political pissing match tonight.

I see everything my son.

ElgB54.gif

Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
LOL. What measurements are you using to determine that the private school is better?

The nonsense you will spew to try and justify this grift is hilarious.
I’m just glad my kids are out of school and college. Now don’t get me going on the exorbitant cost of college! 😜

Reactions: CaboKP
*sigh* but they aren’t spending $180,000,000 on private schools. They are spending $180,000,000 on other goods. And if the govt spending $180,000,000 on private schools is inflationary then it stands to reason that freeing up $180,000,000 to spend in the marketplace would be inflationary.

How big would the effect be? No idea. But to pretend that it doesn’t follow from your premise is odd.
The $180 Million is already going into the economy. Instead of going into public schools it is going into private schools.

Sadly, the windfall for private school families will have an opposite reaction on other families in the process. There is no change in the amount of money in the economy.

Let's say the state of Iowa is giving my brother $20,000 to spend on entertainment. They then decide they don't like what he is spending money on, so they take it away and give it to me to spend on entertainment. yes, that frees up $20,000 for me to spend on other goods and services, but it took $20,000 away from him. It does not change the amount of money going into the economy. It just means I have $20k more and my brother has $20k less.

Now, if I am missing something, then I am all ears. I will appreciate the insight and am willing to change my opinion. Let me know where I am wrong in my thought process.

The $180 Million is already going into the economy. Instead of going into public schools it is going into private schools.

Sadly, the windfall for private school families will have an opposite reaction on other families in the process. There is no change in the amount of money in the economy.

Let's say the state of Iowa is giving my brother $20,000 to spend on entertainment. They then decide they don't like what he is spending money on, so they take it away and give it to me to spend on entertainment. yes, that frees up $20,000 for me to spend on other goods and services, but it took $20,000 away from him. It does not change the amount of money going into the economy. It just means I have $20k more and my brother has $20k less.

Now, if I am missing something, then I am all ears. I will appreciate the insight and am willing to change my opinion. Let me know where I am wrong in my thought process.
No. This is wrong. That money was going to public schools and is now going to private schools that were already funded. Now those funds are freed up to spend elsewhere.

Your ignorance on this matter is overwhelming.

Republicans can't stand the thought of wiping out student loans but are in favor of paying for school.

Got it.
If you are referring to our elected officials, then yes. However, and I could be wrong, but hasn't a significant number of republican voters spoke out against state tax dollars going toward private school tuition?

I am a far right conservative and I have consistently said that I am against tax dollars going toward private school tuition.

Reactions: Hawkman34
You keep focusing on the tax dollars going to the school. You say that's inflationary. But that's the same $180,000,000 dollars that was going into those schools the years before - it just came from private hands. It's been replaced by tax dollars. So how is THAT inflationary but the $180,000,000 windfall going through families into the economy isn't?

Reactions: Tom Paris
If you are referring to our elected officials, then yes. However, and I could be wrong, but hasn't a significant number of republican voters spoke out against state tax dollars going toward private school tuition?

I am a far right conservative and I have consistently said that I am against tax dollars going toward private school tuition.
Who? Who are these republicans speaking out against tax dollars going to private schools?

Your silence on this will be deafening.

Please show me where I specifically stated special needs students are what is causing public schools to fail?
What did this post mean then?
I highly doubt any caring parent wants to send a special needs student into an academic setting where they absolutely do not fit in or belong. That's where the failing public school system comes into play.

You keep focusing on the tax dollars going to the school. You say that's inflationary. But that's the same $180,000,000 dollars that was going into those schools the years before - it just came from private hands. It's been replaced by tax dollars. So how is THAT inflationary but the $180,000,000 windfall going through families into the economy isn't?
I said within a vacuum, if nothing else was considered, private school tuition going higher would by definition be inflation. So, if one wants to only look at private school tuition, and nothing else, then yes, higher tuition prices would be inflationary in that one area.

However, the tax dollars going to the schools is not the cause of private school tuition going higher. The reason private school tuition is going higher is because the board members who make those decisions are using it as an opportunity to raise tuition costs.

It sounds like we had a misunderstanding on the front end of this back and forth. To be clear, the $180 Million going toward private school tuition is not inflationary in and of itself. The higher cost of private school tuition is purposeful raising of prices. Thus, if one only looks at the higher costs of private school tuition, then that cost as a single variable in our economy would experience inflation by definition.

However, it would not be inflationary across the economy as money being spent for goods and services would go down in other places (public schools spending less).

The $180 Million going to the "rich folk" is upsetting to many people for obvious reasons. However, their windfall is not inflationary as the same $180 Million is not going where it used to go. I get why people are mad about. But it is not inflationary to either the US economy or the state of Iowa economy.

Glad your cycling went well today @NorthernHawkeye. I tweaked an ankle yesterday mountain biking so am laid up on the couch making fun of dumbshits on here and watching the Zurich all day. Gotta pass the time somehow, luckily HORT is target rich for dumbshits.

As to the mtb, I recently entered the world myself. Second time out went right over the handlebars. Landed hard. Really hard. Checked my surroundings for witnesses. Escaped both embarrassment and damage to the carbon frame. I realized quickly that it's a whole new world. You don't have to just prepare for the tight turn, you have to prepare for the turn right after that.

What it means is "a caring parent would not want to place their special needs child in an environment they have 0 chance of fitting in". The public school system in Iowa is failing whether that student is present or not.
So according to you caring parents should only want to place their special needs children in "failing" a system. Why don't special needs kids count enough to have the choice to attend "successful" schools?

What an ignorant position!

So according to you caring parents should only want to place their special needs children in "failing" a system. Why don't special needs kids count enough to have the choice to attend "successful" schools?

What an ignorant position!
They are incapable of keeping up or even participating in the classroom. Many just sit there and drool and scream all day. You are cheating the children who actually want to learn by the presence of the special needs student who disrupts the class all day.

It may sound cruel but it's the truth.

They belong in the public school setting where 80% of the other students could care less about learning.

However, it would not be inflationary across the economy as money being spent for goods and services would go down in other places (public schools spending less).
Let's say a small school (Pk-12) with an enrollment of approximately 500 students loses 15 students across all grades to the voucher program. Now instead of 36 students per grade level they have 35 per grade level, where is the school saving $115,000?

They are incapable of keeping up or even participating in the classroom. Many just sit there and drool and scream all day. You are cheating the children who actually want to learn by the presence of the special needs student who disrupts the class all day.

It may sound cruel but it's the truth.

They belong in the public school setting where 80% of the other students could care less about learning.
You know nothing about special needs children, many are more intelligent than "normal" children.

Let's say a small school (Pk-12) with an enrollment of approximately 500 students loses 15 students across all grades to the voucher program. Now instead of 36 students per grade level they have 35 per grade level, where is the school saving $115,000?
Not to mention those 15 students and the 100 already in the private school that get a voucher now generate an additional $900K into the private school coffers.

You seem to know very little if you think it would benefit all concerned if you put one of them in a classroom at a private school.
The point is those monies could go to funding special needs students rather than subsidizing families already attending private school. Instead Kim Reynolds is continuing to do the exact opposite and dumbasses like you buy into it.

My guess is you went to private pre-school and didn't graduate.

The point is those monies could go to funding special needs students rather than subsidizing families already attending private school. Instead Kim Reynolds is continuing to do the exact opposite and dumbasses like you buy into it.

My guess is you went to private pre-school and didn't graduate.
Money is already being funded for special needs students.

Why are liberals against children getting the best education possible? Is it because you can't force your "woker" indoctrination onto them when they are in private school?

Money is already being funded for special needs students.

Why are liberals against children getting the best education possible? Is it because you can't force your "woker" indoctrination onto them when they are in private school?
Funding for special education has been undercut by Reynolds. It would have been worse but for the backlash it received.

No wonder you're posting such ignorant shit - you don't pay attention. Not that it's likely to help.

Spend some time in an Iowa Public School and you will walk away in disgust. They are killing themselves.
Which school have you recently spent time in Rico? Methinks like most everything else you spew here, you’re telling another damn lie. What’s killing “public schools in Iowa” today are liars and bullshit artists like you.

Which school have you recently spent time in Rico? Methinks like most everything else you spew here, you’re telling another damn lie. What’s killing “public schools in Iowa” today are liars and bullshit artists like you.
Lack of control is rampant in Iowa public schools
Falling test scores
Falling graduation rates

Why do you think parents are pulling theirt children out of public schools in Iowa at an alarming rate?

Need I go on?

I 100% agree with you on the bold text. Your insight on 25-26 makes sense, also. Thank you for sharing your perspective on it.

For me, I don't care so much about "rich people" paying less. Although, I do understand why some/many are mad about it. The "rich people" who switch from public to private because of the ESA credits are the ones that piss me off. They are freeloading off those of us who have contributed significantly through annual donations and capital campaign contributions over the course of decades. These "newbies" should have to pay an assessment of sorts to the private schools as part of their sudden "awakening" to the benefits of private vs. public.

Back to your text that I bolded, in a different thread, a poster who is in education believes this is less of an issue in smaller/rural communities. It is the metro schools that have the biggest issue with "troubled children" (in quotes as difficult to define). The metro areas all have private school options, so ESA's can be a life changing opportunity for some students and their families.
Sure, I could see the metro schools having a higher number per classroom. I would assume it would track with SES metrics.

Reactions: anon_911569jwrmy3z
As to the mtb, I recently entered the world myself. Second time out went right over the handlebars. Landed hard. Really hard. Checked my surroundings for witnesses. Escaped both embarrassment and damage to the carbon frame. I realized quickly that it's a whole new world. You don't have to just prepare for the tight turn, you have to prepare for the turn right after that.

Enjoy! If you’re not crashing, you’re not trying. Of course I say that all gimpy right now. Oh well, it’s better than being a roadie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT