ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State - Houston

Defense travels and defense wins championships. Iowa state and TJ understand this and play to it. Fran doesn’t give a damn about defense other than some lip service once or twice a year.
More teams in recent years advance to the Elite 8/Final Four on the strength of their defense, than they do on the strength of their offense.

This despite the explosion of 3 and D types and guard-oriented spread the floor style of play.

Defense travels and defense wins championships. Iowa state and TJ understand this and play to it. Fran doesn’t give a damn about defense other than some lip service once or twice a year.
Agree but this ISU.

They are the first 2 seed to lose in the first round. Could be the first 2 seed to lose twice in the first round although D could be a better friend than O for a morning matchup.

Agree but this ISU.

They are the first 2 seed to lose in the first round. Could be the first 2 seed to lose twice in the first round although D could be a better friend than O for a morning matchup.
It was actually the 4th. There were three 15 over 2 seed upsets in the '90s.

1991- Richmond over Syracuse
1994- Santa Clara over Arizona
1997- Copping State over South Carolina

Also, Arizona holds the distinction of first program to lose to 15 seeds twice, after they lost to Princeton last year.

Of course, a 15 seed has beaten a 2 in each of the last 3 NCAA Tournaments, so Iowa State certainly could make it a 4th......

It was actually the 4th. There were three 15 over 2 seed upsets in the '90s.

1991- Richmond over Syracuse
1994- Santa Clara over Arizona
1997- Copping State over South Carolina

Also, Arizona holds the distinction of first program to lose to 15 seeds twice, after they lost to Princeton last year.

Of course, a 15 seed has beaten a 2 in each of the last 3 NCAA Tournaments, so Iowa State certainly could make it a 4th......
If NC State hangs on to beat UNC, Iowa State has a legit shot at the last 1 seed.

And watch them become the third 1 seed to fall in the first round. They’d be the only men’s team to have a one, two AND a three seed fall in the first round.

And I’d laugh even harder if Purdue falls in the first round.

They blew their load at big XII tourney.

I will take the points whoever their second round opponent is.

Funny thing is the second round is the deepest Fran ever got and we will laugh at ISU if they don’t get farther.

“But Lick….”

If NC State hangs on to beat UNC, Iowa State has a legit shot at the last 1 seed.

And watch them become the third 1 seed to fall in the first round. They’d be the only men’s team to have a one, two AND a three seed fall in the first round.

And I’d laugh even harder if Purdue falls in the first round.

Pretty sure #1 seeds hadn’t ever lost in the Tourney until the last 5 or so years with Virginia getting shocked. I believe they won it the following year. Then I think it was Purdue either last year or the previous one.

Pretty sure #1 seeds hadn’t ever lost in the Tourney until the last 5 or so years with Virginia getting shocked. I believe they won it the following year. Then I think it was Purdue either last year or the previous one.
I think Harvard upset Stanford in the women's tournament in the 90s, but as far as I remember that's the only time it happened. Men's side is a recent phenomenon for sure... if Purdue gets paired with a smaller, faster team with quick and accurate guards, look out.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
This is not even close to being correct.

Iowa State has athletes and plays tenacious defense. They will go far in this tournament.
I want to agree, but we’ve seen in the recent past teams from the SEC and Big 12, with athletes and tenacious defense, fall short in the tourney. Maybe because the physical brand of defense they’re getting away with in the conference season is reeled in by the officiating? But I also think their inability to score efficiently shows itself. This ISU team is better offensively than they’ve been the last few years, but they are prone to scoring droughts.

We’ve seen teams get to Final Fours with defenses outside the top 45 (and most of these were likely outside the top 50 going into the tournament):

Miami 2023
Duke 2022
UCLA 2021
Kansas 2018

But in the same time frame, only two teams outside the top 45 in offense make the FF:

San Diego St. 2023
Loyola 2018

Basically, a lot of words to say “Be a complete team, but if you’re not, get hot at the right time”. Real groundbreaking analysis!

I want to agree, but we’ve seen in the recent past teams from the SEC and Big 12, with athletes and tenacious defense, fall short in the tourney. Maybe because the physical brand of defense they’re getting away with in the conference season is reeled in by the officiating? But I also think their inability to score efficiently shows itself. This ISU team is better offensively than they’ve been the last few years, but they are prone to scoring droughts.

We’ve seen teams get to Final Fours with defenses outside the top 45 (and most of these were likely outside the top 50 going into the tournament):

Miami 2023
Duke 2022
UCLA 2021
Kansas 2018

But in the same time frame, only two teams outside the top 45 in offense make the FF:

San Diego St. 2023
Loyola 2018

Basically, a lot of words to say “Be a complete team, but if you’re not, get hot at the right time”. Real groundbreaking analysis!
Hey, you could easily be right.

Miami 2023
Duke 2022
UCLA 2021
Kansas 2018

San Diego St. 2023
Loyola 2018

Getting hot is the key to making a Final Four run.

But winning the tournament is reserved for teams that finish roughly in the top 40 in offense, and roughly in the top 25 for defense.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
People are convinced it’s Dennis albaugh because TJ is friends with his son in law.

The fact is Iowa State is in the bottom tier of NIL funds and they needed some former players to step up last year and infuse cash in the program.

Which former players?

People are convinced it’s Dennis albaugh because TJ is friends with his son in law.

The fact is Iowa State is in the bottom tier of NIL funds and they needed some former players to step up last year and infuse cash in the program.
Between Albaugh and Harry Stine, the potential is there for ISU to have two absolute mega-donors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT