ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State just reloaded..

Yep, you certainly know what I think. The lack of thought around here is palpable. I also saw your other post and really don't care what you assume about me as a poster. As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, I am not going to let the fly byes go unchecked. If Folks want to have a rational discussion about ISU/Iowa, then the tone will change. You will reap what you sow.

But you don’t want a rational discussion. Based on your posts you just want people to agree with you. You want people to think ISU is great and Iowa is not and no way Iowa can win unless there is some freak situation or event. You say “the lack of thought around here is palpable” but your agenda is crystal clear. Some of the Cyclone posters that spend a lot of time here are open to rational discussions - ISUBryce and Cydkar are a few off the top of my head. You clearly are not.

When the numbers arent there to support your argument just go with the ole "eye test", solid move. Shayok's advanced numbers were so much better than Nixon's in their respective junior seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/prentiss-nixon-1.html
These advanced numbers are very valid points, but it is also very relevant as to who else is playing with these players. UVA was one of the more efficient offenses in the country and one of the best defenses in the country that Shayok was playing on. Trying to compare the defensive efficiencies of a player on team A versus a player on team B is hard because of that. Most every transfer to ISU under Hoiberg and Prohm has seen their offensive efficiency increase. Without looking, I woud wager almost every single one has. The offense at ISU has been extremely efficient nationally the last decade and players have thrived in it. Defense has been hit and miss. What I do know is both Eustachy and Prohm have said Nixon is one of the best on ball defenders that they have had on their squads. He gets a lot of steals and draws a lot of offensive fouls. I do not expect him to lead ISU in scoring though and I do not expect ISU to be a slam dunk NCAA team even if Bolton is eligible. But I do believe Nixon will be a much more efficient player offensively as history shows us most every transfer has been the last decade.

Reactions: chadly82
Seems optimistic to me that ISU was an above .500 team prior to adding Bolton but we shall see.
This is a very true statement. There are a lot of unknowns with ISU though because I think Grill, Leech and Jackson all have very high ceilings. Just not sure how ready they are today. ISU could surprise or they could flounder. Way too many unknown pieces.

Reactions: TCOOL
Seems optimistic to me that ISU was an above .500 team prior to adding Bolton but we shall see.

Bart Torvik has his preseason rankings up. His record projection kind of bounces back and forth between 16 and 17. I think that's the best way to base it right now.

When the numbers arent there to support your argument just go with the ole "eye test", solid move. Shayok's advanced numbers were so much better than Nixon's in their respective junior seasons.

Completely agree, Nixon will not be as good as Shayok and I don't think that's the expectation internally. However, just to make the tournament he doesn't have to be. ISU was a 6 seed last year. There's a lot of room between the #24 team seeding wise in the NCAA's and the #45 team that ends up in the first 4.

Nixon is not a proven P6 player.
Nixon is not proven at the P6 level on a daily basis, but he has scored 20 or more points in a game vs Nevada, Oregon, Arkansas, Florida State, Kansas State, Wichita State and others. He needs to improve his game for sure, but he has shown he can compete against high level programs. Curious to see what level of consistency he can play at on a bigger stage every night than what he had at CSU.

Then objectively if you believe that you would have Iowa in that same boat correct?

The loss of Bohannon and Moss was brutal for Iowa. I personally consider Weiskamp a true 3 small forward type. Can Iowa play big with him at the 2 and little McCaffrey at the 3 for a lot of the year? How good is Patrick McCaffrey? If you can slide Joe to the 2 and McCaffrey is college ready at the 3 you may be cooking. If Joe has to play the 3 all year that leaves you with Connor/CJ/Joe T rotating at the guard spots which I am sorry you are in major trouble. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: chadly82
Completely agree, Nixon will not be as good as Shayok and I don't think that's the expectation internally. However, just to make the tournament he doesn't have to be. ISU was a 6 seed last year. There's a lot of room between the #24 team seeding wise in the NCAA's and the #45 team that ends up in the first 4.

But its more than just losing Shayok and adding Nixon. You lost 6 of your top 8 and are replacing them with a recruiting class that was 9th in the Big 12, a guy that has struggled a large chunk of his career with injuries, a sit out that has terrible advanced numbers on defense and has been an inefficient offensive player and young, unproven guys that have been on campus for 1-2 years and contributed very little.

But its more than just losing Shayok and adding Nixon. You lost 6 of your top 8 and are replacing them with a recruiting class that was 9th in the Big 12, a guy that has struggled a large chunk of his career with injuries, a sit out that has terrible advanced numbers on defense and has been an inefficient offensive player and young, unproven guys that have been on campus for 1-2 years and contributed very little.

If we just break it down, I think the frontcourt is better than last year. The backcourt is worse. However, I think Nixon can be as effective as Weiler-Babb. That seems like an easy expectation. Halliburton will be better than he was last year. The big dropoff is Shayok to Bolton, but even then I think that's not an insurmountable drop if we expect Bolton to improve from his freshman to sophomore year.

The real issue is if they can get some young guards to step up on the bench to replace Wigginton's production. When he was on he was great, when he was off it was really bad. The hit rate at ISU for low rated guards is not good, but you have to hope Grill, Leech, Jackson, or Lewis can get it together enough to give us some good minutes there.

The loss of Bohannon and Moss was brutal for Iowa. I personally consider Weiskamp a true 3 small forward type. Can Iowa play big with him at the 2 and little McCaffrey at the 3 for a lot of the year? How good is Patrick McCaffrey? If you can slide Joe to the 2 and McCaffrey is college ready at the 3 you may be cooking. If Joe has to play the 3 all year that leaves you with Connor/CJ/Joe T rotating at the guard spots which I am sorry you are in major trouble. Just my 2 cents.
To me, the two keys for Iowa will be:
-can they stretch the floor to give Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, etc room to work? Moss, Bohannon and Baer represented a huge chunk of Iowa's threes made. If Bohannon is able to play that is HUGE for Iowa's big men. If he is not, can Frederick, Connor and Patrick make enough threes to stretch the defense.
-can Iowa improve on D? Iowa has not had issues scoring, but their defense was the worst in the Big Ten last year and of the rotation players last year, Baer, Cook and Moss were the 1st, 3rd and 5th best defenders. How do the newcomers do replacing that. The flip side is Bohannon was the worst defender so maybe his absence would help Iowa defensively.

I think Iowa has ample players that can score points but they need to be able to space the floor to do it and they need to be able to defend much better. Do those things and Iowa could surprise

Reactions: mtdew_fever
To me, the two keys for Iowa will be:
-can they stretch the floor to give Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, etc room to work? Moss, Bohannon and Baer represented a huge chunk of Iowa's threes made. If Bohannon is able to play that is HUGE for Iowa's big men. If he is not, can Frederick, Connor and Patrick make enough threes to stretch the defense.
-can Iowa improve on D? Iowa has not had issues scoring, but their defense was the worst in the Big Ten last year and of the rotation players last year, Baer, Cook and Moss were the 1st, 3rd and 5th best defenders. How do the newcomers do replacing that. The flip side is Bohannon was the worst defender so maybe his absence would help Iowa defensively.

I think Iowa has ample players that can score points but they need to be able to space the floor to do it and they need to be able to defend much better. Do those things and Iowa could surprise

Talks about Iowa needing to hit threes but doesnt mention Wieskamp, solid analysis.

Talks about Iowa needing to hit threes but doesnt mention Wieskamp, solid analysis.
I figured he was an obvious. You are so defensive. The key is who can replace Moss, Jordan and Baer's threes which was what I was getting at.
One player making threes does not stretch a defense. Weiskamp needs help. Jordan, Baer and Moss combine for 172 made threes last year I think. That is a ton to replace.

Last edited:
Yep, you certainly know what I think. The lack of thought around here is palpable. I also saw your other post and really don't care what you assume about me as a poster. As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, I am not going to let the fly byes go unchecked. If Folks want to have a rational discussion about ISU/Iowa, then the tone will change. You will reap what you sow.

Bohanon is a dead eye shooter when left uncovered. While I don't subscribe to a student athletes putting out social media nuggets like "#fstate" on twitter, he is not a bad ballplayer.
But you subscribe to ADs being complete jackasses, players blowing kisses, and coach involvement to keep players out of police blotters. That is rich.
We will see because Prohm knows defense and he has commented on this kid.

You talk out of both sides of your mouth, at the same time, and believe it.

But you don’t want a rational discussion. Based on your posts you just want people to agree with you. You want people to think ISU is great and Iowa is not and no way Iowa can win unless there is some freak situation or event. You say “the lack of thought around here is palpable” but your agenda is crystal clear. Some of the Cyclone posters that spend a lot of time here are open to rational discussions - ISUBryce and Cydkar are a few off the top of my head. You clearly are not.
I'm just here for the gangbang.

I'm just here for the gangbang.

h6AAA91F8

I figured he was an obvious. You are so defensive. The key is who can replace Moss, Jordan and Baer's threes which was what I was getting at.
One player making threes does not stretch a defense. Weiskamp needs help. Jordan, Baer and Moss combine for 172 made threes last year I think. That is a ton to replace.

Agreed. Iowa was overall good offensively last year even though unorthodox. At times, it got clogged with both Garza and Cook on the floor, it didn't allow Iowa to space very well. Pemsl and Garza together for a lot of minutes has the potential to spacing be a huge problem, especially if other non-shooters are seeing heavy minutes. If Iowa had Bohannon and Moss returning a NCAA appearance would not be out of the question. For that to happen now, a lot of things have to go right for Iowa.

Wrong....there are rarely any rational discussions here concerning ISU/Iowa.

They took two guys with character risks under Hoiberg IMO. BDJ and Royce. One worked out really well one didn't work out. It's tougher right now to get transfers. UK, Duke, etc. are all taking them. It's a different world when trying to recruit them.

The grad transfers have completely bombed under Prohm. The sit out transfers have been very good. We'll see if that continues next year with Nixon.

LOL

Off the top of my head, Chris Allen, Korie Lucious, Anthony Booker, Deonte Burton, and DeAndre Kane were all either directly kicked off their previous teams or asked to leave due to other issues. I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting, for example I heard that Nader and McKay had issues but I don’t know for sure.

Booker, Burton, Nader, and McKay just left some bad situations. Kane did have some issues at Marshall I guess, but again nothing I would consider to be a character issue.

Allen and Lucious liked weed too much, which to me isn't a big deal at all.

Off the top of my head, Chris Allen, Korie Lucious, Anthony Booker, Deonte Burton, and DeAndre Kane were all either directly kicked off their previous teams or asked to leave due to other issues. I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting, for example I heard that Nader and McKay had issues but I don’t know for sure.

Talley was suspended a couple times and then dismissed from Old Dominion, IIRC.

Talley was suspended a couple times and then dismissed from Old Dominion, IIRC.
Which again, was weed. Same reason he was suspended at ISU. The bottom line is if you have an issue with kids using weed, then yes, these kids were bad kids. But their dismissals were required by school/NCAA rules due to drug violations not by coaches' choice. I will leave it up to the rest of you to debate the merits of weed violations.

Which again, was weed. Same reason he was suspended at ISU. The bottom line is if you have an issue with kids using weed, then yes, these kids were bad kids. But their dismissals were required by school/NCAA rules due to drug violations not by coaches' choice. I will leave it up to the rest of you to debate the merits of weed violations.

I mean if he continually fails drug tests to the point of being suspended twice and then dismissed from the team and then does it again to the point of suspension while with the team he transferred to it might be a bit of an issue. At the very least, he is a poor teammate.

Nixon is not a proven P6 player. Young is a huge question mark health wise and doesnt add much offensively. Bolton was a worse player as a freshman than Bohannon was as a freshman who ISU fans constantly ripped on. I think the ISU team is going to really struggle to score the ball next season.

I will be interested to see how Haliburton plays next season when he is depended on to score a lot more than he was last season. Before Bolton, I thought ISU was 9-10 in the Big 12 next season. If he is eligible next season you will more than likely make the NIT.

I think they are better than that based on what some of the other teams have even without Bolton.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hawksfor3

Well their previous schools obviously thought weed was bad

This thread is a prime example of why I avoid these boards in the off season.

Clown trolls on the bball board and Nub trolls on the fball board.

It’s sad that so many Hawks on here take the bait.

As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, I am not going to let the fly byes go unchecked. If Folks want to have a rational discussion about ISU/Iowa, then the tone will change. You will reap what you sow.

OMG, you are so F.O.S. "Rational discussion" - give me a break. Anyone reading this board knows that you are nothing but a short-witted 3rd-rate troll and nothing more. I thought it was relegated to the football board, but your idiocy (based on reading your first post in this thread) apparently has spilled over to here.

Reactions: Hawksoxfan
OMG, you are so F.O.S. "Rational discussion" - give me a break. Anyone reading this board knows that you are nothing but a short-witted 3rd-rate troll and nothing more. I thought it was relegated to the football board, but your idiocy (based on reading your first post in this thread) apparently has spilled over to here.
You are the perfect example. You utilize immature name calling in your narrative about other posters. Have you ever really provided any insightful comments when it comes to a rival? My guess is absolutely not. You reap what you sow.

You are the perfect example. You utilize immature name calling in your narrative about other posters. Have you ever really provided any insightful comments when it comes to a rival? My guess is absolutely not. You reap what you sow.

Insightful comments? You seriously think anything you post here is insightful? I’ve called you out on your outrageous claims so many times it’s almost become as tiresome as funny. BTW putting “”You reap what you sow” at the end of your post doesn’t make you sound cool, especially when it pretty much makes no sense given the context.

Reactions: owenhawk

You haven’t provided one insightful comment. Every post you have done is a one-sided, Cyclone propaganda-driven post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT