ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v St. Thomas - Wednesday, March 15th

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Win today: -142 RPI
Lose today: -365 RPI

Uff Da

EDIT: 1:30 p.m. first pitch. Upper 40s/Low 50s predicted with windy conditions.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see St. Thomas' approach to this game. They open conference play this weekend with four games against Oral Roberts. Their games last weekend were cancelled due to cold weather.

Their best pitcher is clearly Kolby Gartner: https://tommiesports.com/sports/baseball/roster/kolby-gartner/8519

He is St. Thomas' version of Brody Brecht. Also on their football roster.

Does St. Thomas save him for conference play?
Does St. Thomas throw their "best" in an effort to get a signature win? (only second year in D1 baseball)
Does St. Thomas feel like he needs to get in some work but still want him to pitch this weekend?

My guess is #1. I looked back at St. Thomas' approach to last year's Iowa game and they started a reliever for the mid-week game. That pitcher went 4 innings. They used 4 other pitchers over the last 5 innings. Not exactly a "bullpen" game as I expect that Heller will utilize today, but close.

FWIW, Heller's approach last year:
Davitt - 3 innings
Morgan - 2 innings
Brecht - .2 inning
Beutel - 1.1 innings
Day - 1 inning
Llewellyn - 1 inning

I'd think that we'd see a similar approach to that of the Loras game: Whitlock, Gotilla, Wheatley, Young, Proskovec, Henderson and Llewellyn. Maybe Christopherson to get him some work. My feeling is that Obermueller (who pitched against Loras) will not pitch . . . I anticipate that he's worked his way into a weekend role.

Last edited:
Heller pre-game.
Anthony will start and plan is to get him 2-3 innings.
Simpson and Langenberg will each throw 1 inning in lieu of mid-week bullpen.
Christopherson will likely pitch as well (he was ill last weekend)

Weather doesn’t look good for weekend which may result in Iowa “travelling again.” Didn’t specify but made me think that he has replacement games lined up if they can’t play in IC.

With exception of Gehrig Christensen behind plate, normal starters for Iowa.

Heller pre-game.
Anthony will start and plan is to get him 2-3 innings.
Simpson and Langenberg will each throw 1 inning in lieu of mid-week bullpen.
Christopherson will likely pitch as well (he was ill last weekend)

Weather doesn’t look good for weekend which may result in Iowa “travelling again.” Didn’t specify but made me think that he has replacement games lined up if they can’t play in IC.

With exception of Gehrig Christensen behind plate, normal starters for Iowa.
When will we know if they can play in IC this weekend?

When will we know if they can play in IC this weekend?
I don’t know.
Radio guys just said something about weekend plans being “uncertain.” That’s about all I’ve been able to get. I missed the first 15-17 minutes of the pre-game show. Was able to catch most of Heller’s comments.

I’ll post if radio guys clarify.

Reactions: Randy Marsh
Still no clarity on weekend schedule.

To B7. Good Guys 4 Bad Guys 1.

Rough inning for Langenberg in T6. Struggled to throw strikes. Gave up a hard hit. Was bailed out of a HBP (back foot on curve ball) because the batter swung. Would’ve loaded the bases. He just can’t find any consistency.

Anthony had a string 3 innings on mound but remains in a funk at the plate.

Christopherson had a dominant T7.

Game 1 of games Iowa cannot afford to lose too. Last season Iowa struggled to beat this team.
Workmanlike effort today. Score a tad misleading. Even though game was relatively close until late, Iowa seemed to be in control. Much different feel than last year’s game.

Reactions: ssckelley
Win today: -142 RPI
Lose today: -365 RPI

Uff Da

EDIT: 1:30 p.m. first pitch. Upper 40s/Low 50s predicted with windy conditions.

Iowa drops from #9 to #16 after the win. A couple of indirect games going later today. TT’s win netted Iowa about 10 RPI points earlier.

EDIT: Indiana State blows a late 3 run lead and is in extras with Illinois.

Last edited:
Looks like Iowas Friday game this weekend is moved to Parkville, Missouri. No game Saturday and double header Sunday in Iowa city.

Will wrap up this thread by noting that:

1. Kansas State knocked off Creighton 3-0. KSU is now 12-5.
2. Indiana State knocked off Illinois 7-3 in extras. ISU is now 8-8.

After Iowa picks up RPI points for those two wins, Iowa moves up to #14 in latest RPI standings.

On top of needing LSU and TT to have outstanding years, Iowa would really benefit from KSU and ISU having solid years as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT