ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs PSU dual

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
Now that Iowa landed DeSanto, how does everyone have this dual shaking out?

Here is my, wayyyy too early, take:

125: Lee by Fall Iowa 6-0. Lee punishes his old best friend for flip flopping. If Teske, ouch.
133: DeSanto by Dec, Iowa 9-0. I will give RBY the benefit of the doubt for now that he can keep it close.
141: Lee by decision. Iowa 9-3. Do not be surprised if Murin is right there with him. This kid will be an AA contender.
149: Lugo by decision. Iowa 12-3. I am not quite sold that either Verkleeren or Berge are AA level, yet.
157:Nolf by decision. Iowa 12-6. Sucks for Iowa that their best wrestler hits quite possibly PSU's best of all time.
165:Joseph by decision. Iowa 12-9. I got strung up by the Iowa faithful for saying it, but Joseph is a step ahead as long as he minimizes risks.
174: Hall by TF. PSU 14-12. Unless Young surprises and fills into the weight, this weight hurts Iowa.
184: Nickal by decision. PSU 17-12. Wilcke will not sniff a win, but he is positionally smart and strong enough to stall to a decision.
197:Warner by decision. PSU 17-15. Kid is a goer with a massive heart.
285:Nevills by decision. PSU 20-15. however , I think Stoll gets him again when it counts in March.

This is shaping up to be one hell of a dual!

125: Lee by Fall Iowa 6-0. Lee punishes his old best friend for flip flopping. If Teske, ouch.
133: DeSanto by Dec, Iowa 9-0. I will give RBY the benefit of the doubt for now that he can keep it close.
141: Lee by decision. Iowa 9-3. Do not be surprised if Murin is right there with him. This kid will be an AA contender.
149: Lugo by decision. Iowa 12-3. I am not quite sold that either Verkleeren or Berge are AA level, yet.
157:Nolf by decision. Iowa 12-6. Sucks for Iowa that their best wrestler hits quite possibly PSU's best of all time.
165:Joseph by decision. Iowa 12-9. I got strung up by the Iowa faithful for saying it, but Joseph is a step ahead as long as he minimizes risks.
174: Hall by TF. PSU 14-12. Unless Young surprises and fills into the weight, this weight hurts Iowa.
184: Nickal by decision. PSU 17-12. Wilcke will not sniff a win, but he is positionally smart and strong enough to stall to a decision.
285:Nevills by decision. PSU 20-15. however , I think Stoll gets him again when it counts in March.

Are they scheduled this year?

Kem is Iowa’s best wrestler?

Admittedly, Lee has something to say about that, but he has only wrestled one shortened season and did take a couple losses. Also, after his 4 years are over he will be.

As for Kemerer, after 2 years at 157, he is the only one to keep it close with Nolf. Fully healthy, at the very least, he is Iowa's most dynamic neutral wrestler by a significant margin.

Reactions: ih8iast8
Plus, I am just pleasantly excited that a team has a solid chance to beat PSU next year. Bringing in DeSanto to fill that one big hole was huge. Hopefully Young emerges to at least push Gunther's improvement or, even better, leapfrogs him.

In years past Brands and Cael got on the phone to make it happen. Is that possible?

Admittedly, Lee has something to say about that, but he has only wrestled one shortened season and did take a couple losses. Also, after his 4 years are over he will be.

As for Kemerer, after 2 years at 157, he is the only one to keep it close with Nolf. Fully healthy, at the very least, he is Iowa's most dynamic neutral wrestler by a significant margin.

National champion who scored the most points at Nationals in a loaded bracket is the best wrestler in the country, not just in Iowa.

National champion who scored the most points at Nationals in a loaded bracket is the best wrestler in the country, not just in Iowa.

He may very well prove to be. But, one tournament doesn't automatically put you there. For now, Nolf rightly deserves the spot with Nickal nipping at his heels. I would put Valencia next and then mix Lee in with Gross, Hall and Joseph.

Again, I think a fully healthy Kemerer is also right in that mix. Either way, Iowa has 2 animals to lead the way in Lee and Kemerer and I think Marinelli and Warner will prove to be not far behind.

Arguing who is better between Lee and Kemerer is a good thing for Iowa. Hopefully Cass proves to be as good as many here think he is. 2020 sure looks like it could be Iowa's best chance in a long time with PSU graduating Nolf, Nickal, Rasheed and Nevills.

Hell, if things go right, they now have at least a chance to take it in 2019, if DeSanto can assimilate.

Nope...still Lee. You just don't see it because he dominates on top. You don't get to be a two time Junior and one time Cadet World champ, first year NCAA champ without being almost totally dominant in neutral. Spencer is our best wrestler in every position. I love Kemdawg, and you could make that argument last year and up until Midlands this year but not anymore.

Nope...still Lee. You just don't see it because he dominates on top. You don't get to be a two time Junior and one time Cadet World champ, first year NCAA champ without being almost totally dominant in neutral. Spencer is our best wrestler in every position. I love Kemdawg, and you could make that argument last year and up until Midlands this year but not anymore.
You could definitely make that argument last year considering Lee wasn’t even on the team yet... ;)

Reactions: Wink8

Definitely not an argument I mind losing. I just wanted to give Kemerer his due for going 2 full season in a weight class with Nolf in it.

I fully expect Lee to have a much better career than Kemerer. I just want to have a much larger sample size from Lee before going all in. If the knee brace off was truly the difference, he will not only prove to be Iowa's best, but I would agree with Art that he will be the country's best!

Reactions: IAChief32
Was it ever revealed what kind of injury Kem had last year? Was there a surgery?

There’s no question who the man is now.

Dumb....simply dumb.

Reactions: HoundedHawk

He may very well prove to be. But, one tournament doesn't automatically put you there. For now, Nolf rightly deserves the spot with Nickal nipping at his heels. I would put Valencia next and then mix Lee in with Gross, Hall and Joseph.

Again, I think a fully healthy Kemerer is also right in that mix. Either way, Iowa has 2 animals to lead the way in Lee and Kemerer and I think Marinelli and Warner will prove to be not far behind.

Arguing who is better between Lee and Kemerer is a good thing for Iowa. Hopefully Cass proves to be as good as many here think he is. 2020 sure looks like it could be Iowa's best chance in a long time with PSU graduating Nolf, Nickal, Rasheed and Nevills.

Hell, if things go right, they now have at least a chance to take it in 2019, if DeSanto can assimilate.
Lee destroyed a loaded bracket when it most mattered and scored the most points out of any wrestler. What else do you need to see?

On the other hand, if Nickal can pin Sammy Brooks in ~ 1 minute, and beat tOSU's Martin by fall or MD, he's capable of pinning Wilcke. Hardly a guarantee that Wilcke can keep it to a decision, imho.
In fairness to Wilcke, Sammy has an "All or nothing style" that puts in a position that Ca$h may not be in after a minute.

On the other hand, if Nickal can pin Sammy Brooks in ~ 1 minute, and beat tOSU's Martin by fall or MD, he's capable of pinning Wilcke. Hardly a guarantee that Wilcke can keep it to a decision, imho.

He could if he turtles up but even then, Bo could pull something out of his arse.

MSU, you are a stubborn one.

You make the ridiculous statement that Kemerer is Iowa's best wrestler. Then every Iowa poster disagrees and you semi stand your ground by making a series of waffling changes to your statement.

Give it up! Lee is one of the 2 or 3 best in the nation, and clearly Iowa's best wrestler.

About a month ago, before DeSanto, there was a similar projection for next year. I guessed 25-11 and an Iowa poster guessed 26-12.

Both of us had some other wrestlers than you project such as Young, Bowman, Turk, etc. There is some question as to who will win wrestle offs at a few of Iowa's weights.

But going with the same wrestlers as you.

Here is my projection
125 - Lee - 6-0
133 - Desantis 9-0
141 - Lee 9-3
149 - Close, but Lugo 12-3
157 - Nolf 12-6
165 - Joseph 12-9
174 - Hall major - 12-13
184 - Rasheed - 12-16
197 - Nickal 12-19, but with Nickal, who knows - could be a pin
HVY - Close, but Stoll 15-19

Iowa could win another.
PSU could get bonus from Nolf and Nickal

PSU wins at home.
Dead heat at Iowa.

.Neither if us had Murin and Lugoar I made

MSU, you are a stubborn one.

You make the ridiculous statement that Kemerer is Iowa's best wrestler. Then every Iowa poster disagrees and you semi stand your ground by making a series of waffling changes to your statement.

Give it up! Lee is one of the 2 or 3 best in the nation, and clearly Iowa's best wrestler.

About a month ago, before DeSanto, there was a similar projection for next year. I guessed 25-11 and an Iowa poster guessed 26-12.

Both of us had some other wrestlers than you project such as Young, Bowman, Turk, etc. There is some question as to who will win wrestle offs at a few of Iowa's weights.

But going with the same wrestlers as you.

Here is my projection
125 - Lee - 6-0
133 - Desantis 9-0
141 - Lee 9-3
149 - Close, but Lugo 12-3
157 - Nolf 12-6
165 - Joseph 12-9
174 - Hall major - 12-13
184 - Rasheed - 12-16
197 - Nickal 12-19, but with Nickal, who knows - could be a pin
HVY - Close, but Stoll 15-19

Iowa could win another.
PSU could get bonus from Nolf and Nickal

PSU wins at home.
Dead heat at Iowa.

.Neither if us had Murin and Lugoar I made

I certainly hope they make the mistake of moving BoJob up to 97!

I certainly hope they make the mistake of moving BoJob up to 97!
I don't necessarily believe Bo goes 97 because I'm not sure he needs to. That said, I can see PSU getting more points from Shakur at 84 and Bo at 97 than the other way around. With Bo at 97, both wrestlers IMO will be wrestling in the semi, if not finals come March. If the status quo is maintained, then Bo is a finalist and Shakur is a mid AA. The difference here is that Shakur's arm length is a decided advantage, and he'll match up better with guys at 84. That's my theory at least.

Edit to add that I cannot recall any PSU wrestler in the Cael era moving up in weight and not doing as well or better than before other than Gulibon, who was too small for 141.

Reactions: lionlover
To BoJobs credit and to many others on the team. They do seem to Wrestle "above the eye ball test" most of the time. Give credit where credit is due, they win!

That being said, and I said it with guys like Ruth and Taylor for example. I am very surprised at they way the dominated. In other words, none of them looked the part in my opinion.

I have a picture standing next to Ed Ruth at a camp(thought he was a real nice guy by the way.)In any case he was nowhere near what I had pictured. Was not as tall, wide, thick.

I remember my teammate at 177 being taller and wider in the shoulders. What I am getting at is. I am not sure if it is the other guys pooping the bed, or is it freak strength?

The way the Cradle people up is ridiculous! Again this is my opinion. There are a lot more pins in this day and age and I am not 100% sure why? Some point to greater techniques, but I do not buy it!

Lack of Strength Training, weak backs, no guts/balls/heart more likely. I was not half as good as most of these D1 guys, but you would have needed a Baseball bat to have pinned me!

All this being said, I think BoHo loses a lot of the advantages he now enjoys at 84, length and strength. I would take the match ups of Ca$h -Shakar and Nickel - Warner over visa versa!

To BoJobs credit and to many others on the team. They do seem to Wrestle "above the eye ball test" most of the time. Give credit where credit is due, they win!

That being said, and I said it with guys like Ruth and Taylor for example. I am very surprised at they way the dominated. In other words, none of them looked the part in my opinion.

I have a picture standing next to Ed Ruth at a camp(thought he was a real nice guy by the way.)In any case he was nowhere near what I had pictured. Was not as tall, wide, thick.

I remember my teammate at 177 being taller and wider in the shoulders. What I am getting at is. I am not sure if it is the other guys pooping the bed, or is it freak strength?

The way the Cradle people up is ridiculous! Again this is my opinion. There are a lot more pins in this day and age and I am not 100% sure why? Some point to greater techniques, but I do not buy it!

Lack of Strength Training, weak backs, no guts/balls/heart more likely. I was not half as good as most of these D1 guys, but you would have needed a Baseball bat to have pinned me!

All this being said, I think BoHo loses a lot of the advantages he now enjoys at 84, length and strength. I would take the match ups of Ca$h -Shakar and Nickel - Warner over visa versa!
It takes a big man to insult a 3 time finalist, two time champ from any team on a message board. And I guarantee he wouldn't have needed a baseball bat to pin you in your 'prime'.

Reactions: CholleyVandine

I think Stoll wins. Also think PSU may win at 97. Also,Bull may win at 65

"Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind."

Good post. Regarding Bull/Joseph. ON paper, regardless of the dual this past year, you would have to choose Joseph. But to your point, avoid risks.... Live by the inside trip, die by the inside trip.

The context of that statement is important. You actually additionally said:

Look, I gave a pretty detailed reason as to why I thought Joseph's skill set puts him a step above Marinelli.

You also said he was a step above, which seems stronger than just saying he is a step ahead. Plus, the main reason you got called out on it was the timing. Alex just beat him. At least wait until you have more evidence before throwing him off the same level when Alex was undefeated and just put him on his back for the win. The retrospect aspect, therefore, doesn't help.

You also said it was a bad move for Brands to bring Lee out. If you want to play the retrospect game then you will get pwned.

Reactions: IAChief32
The context of that statement is important. You actually additionally said:

Look, I gave a pretty detailed reason as to why I thought Joseph's skill set puts him a step above Marinelli.

You also said he was a step above, which seems stronger than just saying he is a step ahead. Plus, the main reason you got called out on it was the timing. Alex just beat him. At least wait until you have more evidence before throwing him off the same level when Alex was undefeated and just put him on his back for the win. The retrospect aspect, therefore, doesn't help.

You also said it was a bad move for Brands to bring Lee out. If you want to play the retrospect game then you will get pwned.

The context is you digging way too deep for something that isn't there.

1.)My intent between above or ahead is LITERALLY the EXACT same. To me, a step ahead or a step above have no distinguishable differences when ranking/rating.

2.)I said it when I did, specifically because I didn't believe that one win put him at or above Joseph. The end result in no way swayed my opinion that Joseph was still a solid favorite in a rematch. Plus, I am not sure why many get bothered by someone saying he is "only" a step behind a now 2X defending champ. I think Marinelli is special and am interested to see if he makes a big leap, ala Lee, once that knee brace comes off.

3.)I believed having Lee for the next 4 years gave Iowa a better chance to win Team Titles. I still believe that, but, I will definitely admit that Lee wrestling this past season energized nearly everything related to Iowa wrestling and may have played a key part in landing DeSanto. If he pans out and Iowa draws in a stellar recruiting class in 2020, not redshirting last season may prove to be more valuable than having him wrestle in 2022(olympic redshirt not withstanding).

The context is you digging way too deep for something that isn't there.

1.)My intent between above or ahead is LITERALLY the EXACT same. To me, a step ahead or a step above have no distinguishable differences when ranking/rating.

2.)I said it when I did, specifically because I didn't believe that one win put him at or above Joseph. The end result in no way swayed my opinion that Joseph was still a solid favorite in a rematch. Plus, I am not sure why many get bothered by someone saying he is "only" a step behind a now 2X defending champ. I think Marinelli is special and am interested to see if he makes a big leap, ala Lee, once that knee brace comes off.

3.)I believed having Lee for the next 4 years gave Iowa a better chance to win Team Titles. I still believe that, but, I will definitely admit that Lee wrestling this past season energized nearly everything related to Iowa wrestling and may have played a key part in landing DeSanto. If he pans out and Iowa draws in a stellar recruiting class in 2020, not redshirting last season may prove to be more valuable than having him wrestle in 2022(olympic redshirt not withstanding).
I agree with point 3, and is exactly why I thought a rs was better. Doesn’t mean I didn’t think he could win. I was thinking I’d rather have him down the line when the team would have been stronger.

It takes a big man to insult a 3 time finalist, two time champ from any team on a message board. And I guarantee he wouldn't have needed a baseball bat to pin you in your 'prime'.

Where did I insult him? And your guaranteer would be worthless I promise you that!

In years past Brands and Cael got on the phone to make it happen. Is that possible?
They made it happen several years ago when Penn State traveled to Iowa City. Iowa refused to travel to State College during the 2015-16 season and the match did not happen.
There will be an effort made to schedule this match, but it only happens if Iowa agrees to reciprocate the trip PSU made the last time they scheduled a non Big10 match.

As to how it plays out.
125 Spencer with tech or regular fall.
133 RBY beats DeSanto
141 Nick Lee beats whoever Iowa runs out there
149 Berge beats Lugo
157 on I am assuming rumors are true
157 Jason Nolf techs Young
165 Cenzo beats Marinelli
174 Hall beats Kemerer
184 Rasheed beats Wilke
197 Bo bonuses Warner
Hwt Stoll probably wins

Reactions: lionlover
They made it happen several years ago when Penn State traveled to Iowa City. Iowa refused to travel to State College during the 2015-16 season and the match did not happen.
There will be an effort made to schedule this match, but it only happens if Iowa agrees to reciprocate the trip PSU made the last time they scheduled a non Big10 match.

As to how it plays out.
125 Spencer with tech or regular fall.
133 RBY beats DeSanto
141 Nick Lee beats whoever Iowa runs out there
149 Berge beats Lugo
157 on I am assuming rumors are true
157 Jason Nolf techs Young
165 Cenzo beats Marinelli
174 Hall beats Kemerer
184 Rasheed beats Wilke
197 Bo bonuses Warner
Hwt Stoll probably wins

You are out of your mind! If you care to make a bet on this please let me know!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT