ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs PSU dual

Lee will tech or pin Teasdale by the middle of the second period. Nick Lee will not major Turk/Murin, and Desanto wins by a good margin

I’m being sincere in asking you and others position since I never wrestled. I would think that since they’ve trained together so much it wouldn’t be that decisive. I could be dead wrong as I realize Spencer is bona fide hammer but I would think the person that trained with him most would keep it to decision. Teasdale is no pushover

Kind of like Kem and Nolf

I’m being sincere in asking you and others position since I never wrestled. I would think that since they’ve trained together so much it wouldn’t be that decisive. I could be dead wrong as I realize Spencer is bona fide hammer but I would think the person that trained with him most would keep it to decision. Teasdale is no pushover

Kem is way better than Teasdale will likely be as a true freshman. I really don’t think Teasdale will be able to keep it remotely close.

My predictions..

Lee major Teasdale 4-0 Iowa
RBY dec DeSanto. 4-3 Iowa
Lee major Turk/Murin 7-4 PSU
Lugo dec Berge 7-7
Nolf pin Young 13–7 PSU
Cenzo dec Bull 16-7 PSU
Hall dec Kem 19-7 PSU
Bo major Cash 23-7 PSU
Shak/Cassar dec Warner 26-7 PSU
Nevills dec Stoll 29-7 PSU

I kept Lee to major due to familiarity. They’ve probably wrestled thousands of times in practice so that should keep it from tech or pin. If it’s Teske, I’d give a Spencer the fall.

IMO. RBY much better actual wrestler than DeSanto but DeSanto has furious pace. As long as RBY can stick to his game plan I see RBY with decision obviously this a toss up.

If I was an Iowa fan, I’d be pumped and picking Warner by decision due to high expectations and nice showings so far. That being said, Shak or Cassar 3 yrs ahead and both are very tough. Warner May win a championship but not this year.

Nevills won 2 of 3 so have to give the edge to Nevills

Giving Lugo edge over Berge do to experience but this match can be flipped. Decision either way.

Dual not scheduled so all we have is speculation at this point.

Not sure if rumors are true with Kem to
174 but IMO he goes from #2 or 3 guy at 157 to #5 behind Zahid, Hall, Amine and Lewis.

Should be a fun year. Always good when all the big boys have good teams with some hammers.
I will be right on about 3-4 of the 10 and I will take the bet any day of the week

Ooooh. Tough guy talk.
Nits win 8 of the matches. Well that is if Iowa is willing this year to reciprocate the visit Penn State made several years ago.
I wanted to simply participate in conversation, not troll but oh well. You can't help yourself.
I see it 5-5 with Iowa winning on bonus, so let's hope it happens. It would be a great dual to watch. I really do believe Iowa can win. If Kemmer goes up to 174 he can beat Hall. Kemmer is the perfect style to knock Hall off just like Valencia and Lugo will hammer Berge. Sorry, PSU fan, but the streak is coming to an end this year at the NCAA's and to think this team will only graduate one starter off of next year's team, while PSU graduates some real points. The shift has started, because I think PSU has done an incredible job on picking the right guys and they have panned out, but I think they have recently missed on a few big ones that will not continue the streak. They will be good, but not as good as they were coming out of high school and I also think the weights are not going to go their way as well. Sorry, but the pendulum has swung and it looks good for the Hawkeyes moving forward and if not this next year, for sure the next, but the sands are shifting and it feels so good.... As a fan you can laugh, scoff or write whatever on this board, but in reality you can see it happening and as Terry would say--you're squirming in that chair, you're squirming in that chair.

The shift has started, because I think PSU has done an incredible job on picking the right guys and they have panned out, but I think they have recently missed on a few big ones that will not continue the streak.
Inquiring minds would like an answer to this one.

Reactions: tabenn
I see it 5-5 with Iowa winning on bonus, so let's hope it happens. It would be a great dual to watch. I really do believe Iowa can win. If Kemmer goes up to 174 he can beat Hall. Kemmer is the perfect style to knock Hall off just like Valencia and Lugo will hammer Berge. Sorry, PSU fan, but the streak is coming to an end this year at the NCAA's and to think this team will only graduate one starter off of next year's team, while PSU graduates some real points. The shift has started, because I think PSU has done an incredible job on picking the right guys and they have panned out, but I think they have recently missed on a few big ones that will not continue the streak. They will be good, but not as good as they were coming out of high school and I also think the weights are not going to go their way as well. Sorry, but the pendulum has swung and it looks good for the Hawkeyes moving forward and if not this next year, for sure the next, but the sands are shifting and it feels so good.... As a fan you can laugh, scoff or write whatever on this board, but in reality you can see it happening and as Terry would say--you're squirming in that chair, you're squirming in that chair.
I like the way your thinking Im right with ya

Kem is going to be very good at 174, and that will be a great matchup with Mark, but let's get one thing straight, NOBODY is "like" freaking Zahid at 174...a 197 pounder walking around who cuts 20 plus pounds and dwarfs everyone at his weight. Frankly I thought it showed plainly in his semi match. I have no doubt he was probably around 190 to 195 by the time he wrestled Hall on Saturday night.

My predictions..

Lee major Teasdale 4-0 Iowa
RBY dec DeSanto. 4-3 Iowa
Lee major Turk/Murin 7-4 PSU
Lugo dec Berge 7-7
Nolf pin Young 13–7 PSU
Cenzo dec Bull 16-7 PSU
Hall dec Kem 19-7 PSU
Bo major Cash 23-7 PSU
Shak/Cassar dec Warner 26-7 PSU
Nevills dec Stoll 29-7 PSU

I kept Lee to major due to familiarity. They’ve probably wrestled thousands of times in practice so that should keep it from tech or pin. If it’s Teske, I’d give a Spencer the fall.

IMO. RBY much better actual wrestler than DeSanto but DeSanto has furious pace. As long as RBY can stick to his game plan I see RBY with decision obviously this a toss up.

If I was an Iowa fan, I’d be pumped and picking Warner by decision due to high expectations and nice showings so far. That being said, Shak or Cassar 3 yrs ahead and both are very tough. Warner May win a championship but not this year.

Nevills won 2 of 3 so have to give the edge to Nevills

Giving Lugo edge over Berge do to experience but this match can be flipped. Decision either way.

Dual not scheduled so all we have is speculation at this point.

Not sure if rumors are true with Kem to
174 but IMO he goes from #2 or 3 guy at 157 to #5 behind Zahid, Hall, Amine and Lewis.

Should be a fun year. Always good when all the big boys have good teams with some hammers.
Neverevershoot nevills will never beat Stoll again - Stoll will just push him oob for a few easy points. Probably pin Nevershoot

Reactions: IRONBIRD
pish&chips69. NO WAY F*** st. beats IOWA 29-7!!! I do hope the match happens, because IOWA will likely win! Lee, Desanto, Lugo, Warner, Stoll all favorites. I will take Bull too!

As for Nickel going up to 97, I do not see it, but hope they do it!

Nolf as PSU's best ever? That's interesting...

He most likely ends up around 120-3 after next year going 2,1,1,1. Hell, even an injury couldn't stop him from still dominating his way to a title. Of the 3 losses, one was due to an injury default while winning and the other 2 were to a 4x finalist with only 3 career losses as well, one of which was to Nolf. On top of all that, his bonus rate is damn near 90%.

There are always arguments to be had when discussing GOATs, but it is pretty hard to argue against Nolf if he makes another dominant title run next year, with a likely Hodge attached to it.

lugo will piss stomp berge, kid will be a dud just like big brother, 100 bucks or shut up, punk
Why so hostile? There are several PSU fan-posters here who are only making life interesting for all of us between seasons. Sit back and enjoy the conversation. It's sports entertainment.

Reactions: D3wrestler
He most likely ends up around 120-3 after next year going 2,1,1,1. Hell, even an injury couldn't stop him from still dominating his way to a title. Of the 3 losses, one was due to an injury default while winning and the other 2 were to a 4x finalist with only 3 career losses as well, one of which was to Nolf. On top of all that, his bonus rate is damn near 90%.

There are always arguments to be had when discussing GOATs, but it is pretty hard to argue against Nolf if he makes another dominant title run next year, with a likely Hodge attached to it.
Next year's Hodge is going to make for some interesting discussion.
Assuming good health for everybody, and Bo to 97 and Valencia to 184 there will be:
1. Jason Nolf, dominating as well as entertaining 3X champ
2. Bo Nickal, dominating as well as entertaining, 3X champ
3. Spencer Lee, dominating as well as entertaining, 2X champ
4. Vincenzo Joesph, not quite as dominating or as entertaining as the first 3, but would be 3X champ
5. Zahid Valencia, very dominate and 2X champ
6. Mark Hall, dominate and 2X champ

I believe it will be between the first 3, but next year there could be 6 qualified, elite choices.

Assuming good health for everybody, and Bo to 97 and Valencia to 184 there will be:
4. Vincenzo Joesph, not quite as dominating or as entertaining as the first 3, but would be 3X champ

I believe it will be between the first 3, but next year there could be 6 qualified, elite choices.
Psu has got some great wrestlers

Hall should pray that Zahid moves up and hope that The Dawg does not have his day.

Reactions: IRONBIRD

On top of that good info, if Nolf has a really good nationals next year, he will likely rank 5th-7th all time in scoring at nationals. Tying or just behind DT, and ahead of Ruth and Zain in the top ten. So yeah, he has an argument for all time best at PSU, but it would be hard to pick among those four. It's hard to be much better than 2-1-1-1.

https://news.theopenmat.com/blog/20...s-di-ncaa-wrestling-tournament-apr-28th-2018/

Interesting question. Based on past Hodge history, if things are close enough, there seems to be an element of "distinguished career" in the voters minds that doesn't appear in the criteria since it's a single year award. To me and based off past performance, I'd think Nolf and Lee are going to be 1a and 1b in the discussion, with Nickal 2. That assumes all three are undefeated. Nolf and Nickal would both be 2-1-1-1 bonus machines, and eligible for that wink/nod distinguished career edge. I expect Lee to be slightly higher than either Nolf and Nickal on the bonus points criteria, but like I said, voters will look at Lee and say he has two more years left to win it, so we're going to pick among the two departing three time champs. We all know that may happen.

The more interesting question comes in 2020 if Joseph and Lee continue to win titles. Do they give the Hodge to junior bonus point machine Lee, or to 4-timer Joseph, who is a bonus machine a step down from Lee? There is a valid scenario where 4-timer (long way off) Lee only wins the Hodge his senior year.

Edit to add that the Olympic cycle will likely throw that whole last scenario off I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: purescurve

Hate to bust your bubble but Hall is a matchup nightmare for Kemerer and may very well beat him worse then Nolf did. I foresee Hall converting Kems shots into points by getting in the type of scrambles that he excels at. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Hall puts him to his back in at least one of their matches. Aside from that, Kemerer won't be a big 174 so Hall won't be giving up the usual size advantage.

Last edited:
Hate to bust your bubble but Hall is a matchup nightmare for Kemerer and may very well beat him worse then Nolf did. I foresee Hall scoring quite a bit by converting Kems shots into the type of scrambles that he excels at. Aside from that, Kemerer won't be a big 174 so Hall won't be giving up the usual size advantage.

Hall gives up a size advantage? That’s news to me. Does Cael bump him up from 165?

I never heard anything about marks size until Zahid beat him. When he was the defending NC it was all about his “youth” (a 20 year old true freshman isn’t young), now that he lost, it’s the weight??

You should crawl out from under your rock more ofter because there has been plenty of discussion about Halls size. He wins despite giving up size just like Spencer Lee wins despite giving up size. Elite wrestlers can do this. In Halls case, the problem is he ran into another incredible wrestler that also happened to weight +10 pound more on Saturday night.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
You should crawl out from under your rock more ofter because there has been plenty of discussion about Halls size. He wins despite giving up size just like Spencer Lee wins despite giving up size. Elite wrestlers can do this. In Halls case, the problem is he ran into another incredible wrestler that also happened to weight +10 pound more on Saturday night.
This is true. Hall is a 174, but on the small side when you take into account weight addition after weigh-ins. He just doesn't have the frame for too much extra weight. This has been discussed from day one when his redshirt was pulled.

Hate to bust your bubble but Hall is a matchup nightmare for Kemerer and may very well beat him worse then Nolf did. I foresee Hall converting Kems shots into points by getting in the type of scrambles that he excels at. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Hall puts him to his back in at least one of their matches. Aside from that, Kemerer won't be a big 174 so Hall won't be giving up the usual size advantage.
We can agree to disagree on this one, but time will tell and I do think Kemmer will beat Hall and I wouldn't bet on Kemmer being small. I also agree that Hall is not young nor is he inexperienced for his "age." I'm not implying he did anything wrong, but he went to Kentucky from Michigan so that he could compete in the easiest state that allows 7th graders to compete in high school. After placing 2nd as a true 7th grader, he moved to MN to repeat 7th grade and have another shot at a state title in his red shirt 7th grade year and to have a chance at 6 high school state titles. How many high school kids had a shot at 7 state finals during what is typically a 4-year high school career, so he was as old as can be coming out of high school and after the high school season ended each Feb. in MN, he moved again and lived at the OTC through August before returning to MN, so he's also very experienced for his age, since he's been going to the OTC all through high school for part of each year. Mark Hall is a great wrestler and to finish in the top two for anybody at anytime is an incredible accomplishment, but I believe that Kemmer, if at the same weight, will win and by the way, Kemmer is a pretty good scrambler himself. I might be wrong, you might be right, but I like the match-up. I also like the fact that Kemmer had a typical high school career and is still progressing from being in a better room with better coaches.

MSU, you are a stubborn one.

You make the ridiculous statement that Kemerer is Iowa's best wrestler. Then every Iowa poster disagrees and you semi stand your ground by making a series of waffling changes to your statement.

Give it up! Lee is one of the 2 or 3 best in the nation, and clearly Iowa's best wrestler.

About a month ago, before DeSanto, there was a similar projection for next year. I guessed 25-11 and an Iowa poster guessed 26-12.

Both of us had some other wrestlers than you project such as Young, Bowman, Turk, etc. There is some question as to who will win wrestle offs at a few of Iowa's weights.

But going with the same wrestlers as you.

Here is my projection
125 - Lee - 6-0
133 - Desantis 9-0
141 - Lee 9-3
149 - Close, but Lugo 12-3
157 - Nolf 12-6
165 - Joseph 12-9
174 - Hall major - 12-13
184 - Rasheed - 12-16
197 - Nickal 12-19, but with Nickal, who knows - could be a pin
HVY - Close, but Stoll 15-19

Iowa could win another.
PSU could get bonus from Nolf and Nickal

PSU wins at home.
Dead heat at Iowa.

.Neither if us had Murin and Lugoar I made

With Nickal who knows it could be a pin??

I believe every time Bo has faced an Iowa wrestler he's gotten a pin. Just sayin...

With Nickal who knows it could be a pin??

I believe every time Bo has faced an Iowa wrestler he's gotten a pin. Just sayin...
That's like reminding you that Taylor lost to Dake every time they wrestled. Iowa fans are well aware of Bo Nickal. Just sayin...

Holy Crap - Gable had 85 career NCAA points in three years.

We can agree to disagree on this one, but time will tell and I do think Kemmer will beat Hall and I wouldn't bet on Kemmer being small. I also agree that Hall is not young nor is he inexperienced for his "age." I'm not implying he did anything wrong, but he went to Kentucky from Michigan so that he could compete in the easiest state that allows 7th graders to compete in high school. After placing 2nd as a true 7th grader, he moved to MN to repeat 7th grade and have another shot at a state title in his red shirt 7th grade year and to have a chance at 6 high school state titles. How many high school kids had a shot at 7 state finals during what is typically a 4-year high school career, so he was as old as can be coming out of high school and after the high school season ended each Feb. in MN, he moved again and lived at the OTC through August before returning to MN, so he's also very experienced for his age, since he's been going to the OTC all through high school for part of each year. Mark Hall is a great wrestler and to finish in the top two for anybody at anytime is an incredible accomplishment, but I believe that Kemmer, if at the same weight, will win and by the way, Kemmer is a pretty good scrambler himself. I might be wrong, you might be right, but I like the match-up. I also like the fact that Kemmer had a typical high school career and is still progressing from being in a better room with better coaches.
Progressing in a better room, with better coaches? How many PSUers has he beaten?

Based on past Hodge history, if things are close enough, there seems to be an element of "distinguished career" in the voters minds that doesn't appear in the criteria since it's a single year award.

Pssst....... "past credentials" is the 4th of 7 criteria for the Hodge.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

Two athletes in the same room with with similar abilities might make for close matches. However, Spencer is at a different level. He dominates seasoned AA’s. Incoming freshman will have no chance.

I read that as being in a college room with world class coaching. Not everything is about PSU.
Thanks IAChief32, you are correct, this was not about PSU. What I was saying is that Kemmer went to a fine high school and had a good club program, but not nearly as good as he has it now in his college room at Iowa. The step up in coaching and partners is much greater for Kemmer, actually for almost anybody than Hall who was training at Apple Valley HS, where during his time there they had about 5 former college wrestlers on the coaching staff for the HS school season and then the remainder of the year Hall was on-line schooling and getting coached by our National Coaching Staff and living in Colorado and wrestling with National team members and post graduate guys, while he was still in high school. I was just saying that I believe that Hall went to PSU really, really well coached and already a great wrestler and I don't think he has as much future growth as a guy like Kemmer who went the more traditional path in high school. No criticism of PSU, just a comment on the unique path Hall traveled that I don't believe any other prep kid has ever done.

Reactions: IAChief32
I read that as being in a college room with world class coaching. Not everything is about PSU.
You could very well be correct. However, since he was defending his position that Kemerer would beat Hall and concluded with the progression from being in a better room with better coaches it wasn't how I read it.

If I got that wrong, apologies to descat.

Reactions: IAChief32
If there is an Iowa / PSU dual next year, then I would like to see both teams lose. I think that qualifies me as a neutral party. ;)

Very tough one to call because there are probably 6 legitimate swing matches. But since both teams can't lose, here's my prediction if they were to met on a neutral site:

125: Lee fall Teasdale. Lee ends it quickly and spares his buddy from suffering through a long match. Iowa 6 - 0.
133: RBY dec. DeSanto. If RBY can handle the pace, I just think he is a better wrestler at this point. Iowa 6-3.
141: Lee dec. Murin. This one should be very close, Murin is scrappy. Tied 6-6.
149: Lugo dec. Berge. Need to see Berge prove he can handle the cut to 149 effectively. Iowa 9-6.
157: Nolf tech Young. Nolf is a machine. PSU 11-9.
165: Joseph dec. Marinelli. Super close match, maybe decided by a SV takedown. PSU 14-9.
174: Hall dec. Kemerer. Hall is just a great counter wrestler. PSU 17-9.
184: Nickal fall Wilcke. Just too funky and dangerous. 23-9.
197: Warner maj. Rasheed. Think Warner's pace will be too much as long as he avoids the cradle. PSU 23-13.
285: Stoll dec. Nevills. A typical 1 takedown match. PSU 23-16.

Good list. I would put Gross in there at #4, maybe even higher if he somehow bonuses his way through the 133 field.

How I see it:
125: Lee vs Teasdale
133: DeSanto vs RBY
141: Turk vs N. Lee
149: Lugo vs Berge
157: Young vs Nolf
165: Marinelli vs Joseph
174: Kemerer vs Hall
184: Wilcke vs Rasheed
197: Warner vs Nickal
Hwt: Stoll vs Cassar

You could very well be correct. However, since he was defending his position that Kemerer would beat Hall and concluded with the progression from being in a better room with better coaches it wasn't how I read it.

If I got that wrong, apologies to descat.

Hall has been around the world, trained with Burroughs, spent significant time out at OTC...this was before he ever got to PSU. Kemerer trained at Young Guns and wrestled at FR, not chopped liver, but it's different...did not do near the time on the road and on the mat as Hall.This is also why I wouldn't be surprised to see Nolf surpass Hall as well when he bumps up. I don't know what a 174 Kemerer will look like but if he puts on the size, he will be damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT