ADVERTISEMENT

Time for MICHIGAN

Rotisserie Scrotz

All-Conference
Aug 19, 2023
We had a great warmup this weekend. Time to look forward to the next challenge. I think Michigan is our stiffest competition for 2nd this year, and the dual is probably going to be close, too.

125…Ayala by dec (3-0)
133…Ragusin by md (3-4)
141…Woods by md (7-3)
149…Gomez by fall (7-9)
157…Franek by dec in OT (10-9)
165…Caliendo by md (14-9)
174…Griffith by dec (14-12)
184…Bullock by dec (14-15)
197…Ice Man by md (18-15)
285…Davison by dec (18-18)

Hope I’m wrong about 174, but Griffith is wily. The meet could hinge on that one if Gomez is indeed head-hunting.

Go Hawks — who’s gonna step up big?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gutt15
I could be wrong but I think we see Gabe go. He’s got a couple dates left. He can beat Bullock, Riggins notsomuch. Gabe getting a win there is a huge swing.
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

I could be wrong but I think we see Gabe go. He’s got a couple dates left. He can beat Bullock, Riggins notsomuch. Gabe getting a win there is a huge swing. Also, I don’t see Ragusin getting bonus over either one of our 133s. He’s looked good, but so have Teske and Schriever.
I agree we probably see Gabe go 184 against Michigan and probably OSU. I think the PSU dual he will sit. Won’t beat them anyway. Iowa could possibly take 25,41,49,57,65 against PSU but that’s best case. PSU probably gets bonus at every other weight. So even with Gabe we still lose.

Cornell is looking like a good tourney team as well. Their dual season has been less than stellar, but if they are healthy and peaking they could be the toughest challenger.
Missouri just lost to Cornell who has enough high ranked individuals to compete for Second place,too,
I still think Mizzou may have better tournament team then cornell, they were missing their ranked guy at 49 and their 133lber lost by 1 to vito. Still I don't think Mich is a top 3 team

I still think Mizzou may have better tournament team then cornell, they were missing their ranked guy at 49 and their 133lber lost by 1 to vito. Still I don't think Mich is a top 3 team
Yeah, I haven’t been high on Michigan from the beginning too many guys where mid range AA is about their ceiling. It just doesn’t score enough points. Meanwhile, Cornell has a few guys that truly could challenge for a spot on Saturday night. You have to give them credit, besides PSU thery are the best team at getting guys on the top of the podium when it matters most….

Michigan is dangerous. They have solid AA contenders at 125, 133, 157, 165, and Hwt. They have potential finalists at 149 and 174. I’ll take a healthy Michigan team over Cornell and Mizzu. I’ve got it going

1- PSU
2- Iowa
3- Michigan
4- Missouri
5- Cornell

Reactions: Rotisserie Scrotz
Michigan is dangerous. They have solid AA contenders at 125, 133, 157, 165, and Hwt. They have potential finalists at 149 and 174. I’ll take a healthy Michigan team over Cornell and Mizzu. I’ve got it going

1- PSU
2- Iowa
3- Michigan
4- Missouri
5- Cornell
Wow, I actually completely forgot about Gomez at 149, it will be a extremely tight race for 2&3. We are getting stronger each week and our guys seem more focused then ever on scoring.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
We are getting stronger each week and our guys seem more focused then ever on scoring.
I agree, although the competition hasn’t not been as tough.

Areas for improvement are chain wrestling and aggressively looking for the fall. Keuter was a great example. He didn’t just look to defend his opponent’s shot and resume the match from neutral like the Hawks normally do. His intention was to score offensive points and he intentionally went for the fall with the cradle.

1- PSU
2- Iowa
3- Michigan
4- Missouri
5- Cornell
You just wait, Hawks are gonna unleash the secret weapons of Nelson and lil Tony real soon. I’m sure the ncaa is gonna come to their senses and right their wrongs. 🙄 if only….

Mizzou looks great every regular season; roll into nationals with a bunch of great records, get good seeds, then completely shit the bed and show everyone how watered down their schedule is every year. They don’t worry me one bit in a tournament format.

Mizzou looks great every regular season; roll into nationals with a bunch of great records, get good seeds, then completely shit the bed and show everyone how watered down their schedule is every year. They don’t worry me one bit in a tournament format.
They're now in the big 12 not the MAC so that schedule thing isn't the same as it was in the past. Cornell, ASU, VA tech , Oklahoma st and Iowa st are teams they dual this year

Although they have been on the receiving end of overseeding, they definitely havent been "completely shitting the bed". They have just fallen back to where their seeds should have been if they wrestled a B1G schedule.

To be fair to Missouri they have finished 5th, 9th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 4th starting from last year and working back to 2015. Of those they scored 64.5, 49.5, 64, 62, 61.5, 86.5, 74.5 and 73.5. In many other years most of the scores would have no shot at 2nd. This year is a different story. If they can get to that 86.5 range they have a very solid shot and I actually do think they have a better team by quite a bit over most of those teams.

With that said, I do still think Iowa is the front runner, but I sure wouldn't sleep on MIzz...

Although they have been on the receiving end of overseeding, they definitely havent been "completely shitting the bed". They have just fallen back to where their seeds should have been if they wrestled a B1G schedule.

To be fair to Missouri they have finished 5th, 9th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 6th, 4th starting from last year and working back to 2015. Of those they scored 64.5, 49.5, 64, 62, 61.5, 86.5, 74.5 and 73.5. In many other years most of the scores would have no shot at 2nd. This year is a different story. If they can get to that 86.5 range they have a very solid shot and I actually do think they have a better team by quite a bit over most of those teams.

With that said, I do still think Iowa is the front runner, but I sure wouldn't sleep on MIzz...
1 top 4 finish in the last 10+ years is pretty bad for a program as storied as Mizzu. They have consistently underperformed at Nationals.

Reactions: DirkTang1
1 top 4 finish in the last 10+ years is pretty bad for a program as storied as Mizzu. They have consistently underperformed at Nationals.
"A program as storied"????? That 4th place finish is the 2nd highest finish they have ever had. That sentence is an absolute oxymoron. The only season they finished higher(3rd) was Askren's senior year. Mind you, their best total scoring season(2015) only was enough for 5th place. Still they have finished top 9 in all of the last 8 seasons.

The truth is much more simple. Missouri hasn't underperformed. They have been overseeded due to being the biggest fish in a small pond during many of their most talented seasons. Again, if they wrestled in the B1G their seeds would almost certainly have fallen to much more closely represent their placements at NCAA's....

I agree we probably see Gabe go 184 against Michigan and probably OSU. I think the PSU dual he will sit. Won’t beat them anyway. Iowa could possibly take 25,41,49,57,65 against PSU but that’s best case. PSU probably gets bonus at every other weight. So even with Gabe we still lose.
Having 57 as a possible against PSU #1 guy might be a bit of a stretch.

Having 57 as a possible against PSU #1 guy might be a bit of a stretch.
I don't know about that. Haines has looked much more vulnerable than I expected this season. For all the things that make people nervous about Franek, he is VERY hard to score on. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Haines overpursues and Franek scores on a counter and holds on late.

Now, that doesn't mean I wouldn't favor Haines. I absolutely would. But, he hasn't looked unbeatable and Franek is definitely tough enough to get it done...

Last edited:
We had a great warmup this weekend. Time to look forward to the next challenge. I think Michigan is our stiffest competition for 2nd this year, and the dual is probably going to be close, too.

125…Ayala by dec (3-0)
133…Ragusin by md (3-4)
141…Woods by md (7-3)
149…Gomez by fall (7-9)
157…Franek by dec in OT (10-9)
165…Caliendo by md (14-9)
174…Griffith by dec (14-12)
184…Bullock by dec (14-15)
197…Ice Man by md (17-15)
285…Davison by dec (17-18)

Hope I’m wrong about 174, but Griffith is wily. The meet could hinge on that one if Gomez is indeed head-hunting.

Go Hawks — who’s gonna step up big?
Your team score is off 1. You have Glazier with a md but only gave the team 3 pts. So based on that it would be 18-18

Haines definitely looks beatable this year. Saldate definitely should have beaten him last week and I believe he went to ot with lewan.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think we see Gabe go. He’s got a couple dates left. He can beat Bullock, Riggins notsomuch. Gabe getting a win there is a huge swing. Also, I don’t see Ragusin getting bonus over either one of our 133s. He’s looked good, but so have Teske and Schriever.
Who?

Umm, not sure who you mean, but Dylan Ragusin is Michigan’s current 133lber and is a top 5 ranked kid having a great year. I’m not sure if either Schriever or Teske can beat him, but either should keep it to a decision. Jaden Bullock is the Wolverines starting 184lber. Hes ranked anywhere from 14-18th. He’s coming off a crushing tech fall loss to tOSU’s unranked freshman Ryder Rogotske. Prior to that Bullock majored top 20 ranked Brian Soldano of Rutgers. I think Riggins will struggle with Bullock’s explosiveness. Gabe’s defense is so good, I think Bullock will wilt like he did vs Rogotske.

Including Franek if I had to bet. It will be a 4-1/4-2 win for Franek or go into overtime at 1-1. Book it. Lewan doesn't even think about scoring until 7 and a half minutes into a match.
Every time I watch Lewan the B10 guys talk about how close he wrestles. I’m curious what Bormet and co. tell him in the room. It has to be frustrating that that is simply how he competes. I hope Franek says f*ck it and starts attacking like he’s shot out of a cannon right off the whistle.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT