ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Will Never Have A Shot At CFP Unless We Win Them All Plus B1G Title...

Really depends on the year.

The problem most people had with Iowa in 2015 was they didn't pass the eye test. I never agreed that Iowa's schedule was so weak. Half their wins were against teams who went on to bowls and they beat two teams on the road who finished with 10 wins. The schedule wasn't a murder's row, but it wasn't exactly Wisconsin 2017, either.

With that said, Iowa looked rather unimpressive in most of their wins that year. They were tied with a terrible Iowa State team late in the 4th quarter, had to kick a last second 57-yard field goal to beat Pitt, and had many close games against weak conference opponents.

Should Iowa ever be 12-0 or 11-1 heading in to a conference championship game and win, they would most likely get into the CFP. Really depends, though, on the rest of the country. If you ever had a scenario where e.g. Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson, and USC were all undefeated or one or two of them had only 1 loss, then in a situation like that Iowa would likely be on the outside looking in. It really just depends on the year, but I don't think it's necessarily true that Iowa would automatically be out no matter what they do.

2019. It’s going to happen if we can unearth a big time WR.

I like 2018 better, we will be in Indy next year if our lb’s are decent. Schedule is setup for the taking. This team knows they can beat OSU when they are at their best. They just need to focus and bring it each week. Defense will be solid and offense takes big step forward.

I believe in general Iowa would have to go undefeated to get a 100% shot at the playoffs. Depending on their schedule for That season the odds go down significantly with each loss. A one loss Iowa who just played the season schedule they had this year I think would have been a definite invite to the college football playoffs with a win in the big championship game. Two losses I would say no because we are still Iowa. Nebraska should help Iowa's odds by being competitive again.

I honestly believe Iowa would get a shot with 1 loss and a conference championship. Like most P5 teams.
Right. If they have any early loss, like Wisconsin, but run the table, I think they would get in. Or if their only loss is on the road to PSU, they will still be considered, don't ya think.

Not entirely true OP.

What we should focus on is making the playoff bigger, then we have an actual shot.

We will never have a shot (or a good one) with the current system because we are not a blue blood.

Here's a way to think about it. If we beat Wisconsin this season in a relatively close game, and then Wisconsin beat Ohio State on Saturday so that they finish 12-1 with a conference championship, would Wisconsin be in the playoffs? Probably. But I wouldn't say that it is an absolute.

In 2015, if Iowa loses to Wisconsin but beats Michigan State in the championship game, are we in the playoffs? Maybe, but I could see them finding a way to give that spot to Stanford. We'd probably have been ranked somewhere between 6-8 going into the championship game. That's a lot of spots to climb in one game.

There is zero chance Iowa does what bama did this year and gets in. Zero.

Whether we get in with one loss and a BT championship depends on who we played. If jNW, Purdue and Iowa State all finished ranked in the top 15 and we beat them, but avoided tOSU (not ranked), Mich (not ranked) and PSU (not ranked), we would not get in.

It's clear that the current system is all about name recognition. You get more cred beating a 4 loss Michigan than you do a 1 loss Northwestern. The media, other coaches and committee can't seem to realize that non-blue bloods can still field a really good team.

Also, this year is exactly what I've said about the media bias towards the SEC. If a B10 team loses a conference game, it means they weren't that good. If an SEC team loses a conference game, it means the winner was better than they realized. Every SEC game elevates the winner. Every B10 game drops the loser.

This is exactly why I don't give a crap about the mythical NC...it's been this way for decades (skewed toward the blue bloods) and now it also skewed towards the SEC. It's a joke and boarloads of CFB fans fall for it every time just like Charlie Brown.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Totally not true.

It depends on who we played, and final rankings of the teams we played.

And, the relative strength in wins/losses of the other candidates.

Period.

The only reason we may need a perfect record is the perceived strength of the conference but even that can be overcome I.E. Oklahoma loss to the clowns / Clemson loss to Syracuse.

If Iowa is a B1G Champ they'll say it's because the B1G is having a down year, and use it as the argument to justify giving our spot to a one or even a two loss SEC team.

There is zero chance Iowa does what bama did this year and gets in. Zero.

Whether we get in with one loss and a BT championship depends on who we played. If jNW, Purdue and Iowa State all finished ranked in the top 15 and we beat them, but avoided tOSU (not ranked), Mich (not ranked) and PSU (not ranked), we would not get in.

It's clear that the current system is all about name recognition. You get more cred beating a 4 loss Michigan than you do a 1 loss Northwestern. The media, other coaches and committee can't seem to realize that non-blue bloods can still field a really good team.

Also, this year is exactly what I've said about the media bias towards the SEC. If a B10 team loses a conference game, it means they weren't that good. If an SEC team loses a conference game, it means the winner was better than they realized. Every SEC game elevates the winner. Every B10 game drops the loser.

This is exactly why I don't give a crap about the mythical NC...it's been this way for decades (skewed toward the blue bloods) and now it also skewed towards the SEC. It's a joke and boarloads of CFB fans fall for it every time just like Charlie Brown.
This. I would add that this is probably true for the other BIG west schools as well

This is very true. The only way Iowa or Wisky gets in is if we are undefeated and win the title. Thats because of the West. Even MSU has a better chance simply by being in the east.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT