ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

I don't see Wetering getting many minutes coming off injury and hasn't really played much at all. Affolter will get some minutes at the 3 but limited as long as Kate is here and not in foul trouble.

I see McCabe taking Tomi's minutes and then some of Gabbie's minutes. I've said I think Gabbie will get surpassed by season's end. But even if she stays in the starting lineup I would expect her to go down to 20-25 minutes a game tops.

I don't see Goodman or O'grady getting minutes anywhere but the 5. I'm hoping one of the two redshirts because there's not many minutes with Monika coming back.

Stuelke will cut into Warnock's minutes and might get a few at the 3.

With more effective backups I can see all the starters minutes going down a little. Take 5 minutes from Clark maybe 5 from Warnock, 10 from Gabbie, 5 from Kate.

Bluder has got to consider protecting players from injury and allowing players to get experience. Also need to protect players from being exhausted.

I'm basing my assessment on the idea that Bluder will play a deeper bench. I see Syd and Kylie staying about the same as there were this year as far as minutes.

We'd be replacing Tomi's 17 minutes per game and then maybe 25 extra minutes split between the starters playing less minutes.
I hope Coach Bluder plays a deeper bench too. Frankly, I think it's needed. That said, she doesn't have the best track record of doing so. Here are some notable minutes per game for freshman the last few seasons:

Czinano- 5.3 minutes per game
Warnock- 18.8
Marshall- 16.4
Goodman- 8.6
O’Grady- 10.0 (she played disproportionate minutes in the Evansville game where Monika was out with Covid)

Warnock and Marshall stand out, but they were also playing on a team (2019-2020) that had very little veteran depth. Next year's team should return 5 starters and 7 of 8 rotational players. I think there's still room for McCabe and Stuelke to crack the rotation, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if either average more than 10-12 minutes per game.

I don't expect much from freshman, with that being said I will be overjoyed if we do get good production from them. I would not be surprised if Jada G would end up redshirting. I see Stuelke backing up McKenna. And Taylor will get her minutes.
I doubt if it will happen, but Lisa needs to change her ways if she wants to keep players happy and out of the portal. I believe that when Doyle was a freshman Lisa used 10 players in the non-conf but then settled in on 7 or 8 when the Big Ten conf started.
I have to agree with Braydon about Amiah Hargrove that we need to get her. Lisa needs to go all out recruiting her. There are several that we are in on with the class of 24 I hope we can close out on them. This may be the class that could make or break (so to speak) the program.

Definitely the most quality depth Iowa has had in years. But will Lisa effectively use it as Braydon said?

The post position is loaded. Monika averaged 28 minutes and that won’t change with Addie next as Sharon works back. Wouldn’t surprise me with this depth if Lisa didn’t work in a few double post sets in certain situations only, Addie and AJ have range but 'd' is a concern.

McKenna averaged 29 minutes but Hannah could take a few if she adjusts to the college game like I think she will. Iowa hasn’t had a player like her at the 4 since Viv’s days? She is Iowa’s top incoming recruit by most services followed by Jada, who won't see much time.

What we need most at the 3 and 2 spots are consistency. If the BTT Kate shows up each night that would be huge. After her at the 3 its Kylie and Sydney with the former playing better down the stretch so maybe a sign of things to come?

The 2 spot is most interesting. Gabbie will get her confidence back and is the best defender with tons of experience. She drove and went mid-range more late in the season but needs to drive/kick or go strong and at a minimum get fouled. Backing her up Taylor will get the first shot but Kylie may factor in and Caitlin will get minutes here too as she did quite a bit late in the season. Taylor's shooting will be a great spark off the bench but needs to learn a new system, learn to defend, and get stronger too.

Caitlin will be Caitlin at the 1. Her backup will be by committee again with Kate, Kylie, and maybe Taylor if she picks up the offense but it’s tough for a FR to learn 2 spots in Iowa’s offense. A lot to build on!!

From reading these recent posts, it looks like there could be 1-2 girls in the portal, similar to Meyer leaving.

Early in the season McCabe needs her shots to go in to stay on the floor. Just like Jensen last year.

If her shots go in she'll eat up Gabbies minutes. She can do more than Gabbie imo
McCabe played mostly 2 gaurd, but it would be really helpful if she could fill in as the backup point. She brings a quick release 3 pt shot and seems to have decent ball handles?

First, can we stay on the 'Recruit' subject and move the team discussion to a different thread?

Second, I agree some players need to improve a few things, but after 1 loss that the officials swallowed their whistles and suddenly we need a new roster? This is the team that won the Big Ten and won the Big Ten tourney. I thought we saved these discussions for the men's basketball and football teams after a loss.

Last, hopefully some recruits were able to experience a sold out Carver for the women's b-ball.

IMO Sahara Williams of W Waterloo is more of a must than Hargrove and I know she is a priority get for the staff. Maybe both ?
They're in different classes, so no reason Iowa can't get both. My guess (without any particular insight) is that Crooks and Williams are Iowa's top 2 targets in the 2023 class.

Olson is probably the top target in the 2024 class. After Olson, the list is probably bigger since we're further away from that class.

Reactions: HIWILLE and crstuff
Half the kentucky teamn just enered the portal. Getting one of them might be nice, but the team supposedly had some real chemistry issues during the year, so maybe not a good culture fit. Sounded like some of the issues were about figuring out how to play with a star player?

2 starters for Missouri including their leading scorer by the ribbon have also entered the portal. I know chemistry is big to Lisa not sure of her interest

One thing that stands out to me Watching the tourney, their a lot of good teams , the elites have more size and depth but if short of their A game much more vulnerable. I think AAU has upgraded talent and overall coaching is a lot better

Reactions: undersized_post
Here's an article that talks about Taylor McCabe's senior season. Something that stood out: McCabe was assigned to guard the other team's best player each game, and did that while also generating a number of steals. The article says she might've been the best defender in her high school class.

We already know McCabe will be a good shooter, so it's good to see that her defense was a big strength of her game in high school. Hopefully it translates to college. The article also has info about 2024 target Britt Prince.

https://journalstar.com/sports/high..._medium=social&utm_source=twitter_PrepExtra#2

Here's an article that talks about Taylor McCabe's senior season. Something that stood out: McCabe was assigned to guard the other team's best player each game, and did that while also generating a number of steals. The article says she might've been the best defender in her high school class.

We already know McCabe will be a good shooter, so it's good to see that her defense was a big strength of her game in high school. Hopefully it translates to college. The article also has info about 2024 target Britt Prince.

https://journalstar.com/sports/high..._medium=social&utm_source=twitter_PrepExtra#2

A 6’5” center who can play defense and rebound is what this team is missing. A wing who can shoot outside, AND take it to the hoop and score would be a close second , IMHO. I would take either. As a forward on the floor at the same time as Czinano, I suspect Stuelke or Gyamfi can and will attack the basket at the 4. If McCabe can do the same at the 2 - all the better!

That and a systematic approach to getting everyone on the floor to box out on every shot attempt.

I don’t know how this staff, this terrific and successful staff, cannot recognize this incredible, glaring weakness in our team.

She actually won easily and then competed against the boy’s Champion and lost 19-17.

A 6’5” center who can play defense and rebound is what this team is missing.
I agree. 6ft3 Addison O'Grady showed promise as a frosh.; if she can improve her rebounding they might have something there. TBD.

I'm really hoping that Audi Crooks, also 6ft3, will select Iowa. There will be adjustments but she would instantly be a lane protector and could be a force on the boards. If the Hawks don't solve the rebounding woes, they will never get to the F4. JMHO. Iowa beats Creighton by 8-10 if they cut CU's ORBs in half. Hit the f'n boards!

I agree. 6ft3 Addison O'Grady showed promise as a frosh.; if she can improve her rebounding they might have something there. TBD.

I'm really hoping that Audi Crooks, also 6ft3, will select Iowa. There will be adjustments but she would instantly be a lane protector and could be a force on the boards. If the Hawks don't solve the rebounding woes, they will never get to the F4. JMHO. Iowa beats Creighton by 8-10 if they cut CU's ORBs in half. Hit the f'n boards!
Addison O'Grady is listed at 6ft4, Sharon Goodman last year was listed at 6ft3, as is Monika Czinano, but I think she is a short 6ft3.

Reactions: cyberhawk
FUTURE HAWKEYE WINS TITLE

Taylor McCabe, A member of the University of Iowa women’s basketball program 2022 recruiting class, won the girls three point shooting title at the high school slam dunk and three point championships held in conjunction with the final four.

McCabe, a 5 foot 9 guard from Fremont, Nebraska, defeated Georgia tech recruit Tonie Morgan 19–9 in the semi finals round and beat future UCLA player Londynn Jones 18–8 in the girls championship.

In the battle of the champions between the boys and girls winners, incoming Purdue freshman Fletcher Loyer edged McCabe 19–17 for the title.

The 11th annual event was held Tuesday at De La Salle High School in New Orleans and featured the shooting and dunking skills of 12 of the country’s top high school seniors. CBS will air the event on tape – delayed bases at noon on Sunday.

Quad City Times.

Hope she's as good as Dixon! Two quick triggers between her and Clark will make the defense spin around like headless chicken.
If so how can Iowa be defended? With the outside-inside and perimeter game it has to be an opponent coach’s nightmare. Looking down the road, of course rosters change and Clark is a phenom. Still, Bluder has a developed a next (women) in program with top tier recruiting.

Monica and O’grady used the open court to score and raises the question of Crook’s mobility. Iowa‘s offense is motion based and I’m surprised Bluder would recruit a player not fitting that scheme. Unless she has a plan otherwise. Conditioning maybe?

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Monica and O’grady used the open court to score and raises the question of Crook’s mobility. Iowa‘s offense is motion based and I’m surprised Bluder would recruit a player not fitting that scheme. Unless she has a plan otherwise. Conditioning maybe?
I watched Crook's state tournament game in 2021 and I was not impressed at all. I wondered what in the world these coaches saw in her. After watching her this year I was like WOW this girl has improved a lot from last year, then I began to understand what coaches saw in her, she still has a long way to go though. After watching Texas games and Ebo I thought of Crooks, they are both about the same height. Myself I feel they need to be recruiting players 6-5 and taller for the post, but their isn't a lot of them around.

Reactions: jockos
I watched Crook's state tournament game in 2021 and I was not impressed at all. I wondered what in the world these coaches saw in her. After watching her this year I was like WOW this girl has improved a lot from last year, then I began to understand what coaches saw in her, she still has a long way to go though. After watching Texas games and Ebo I thought of Crooks, they are both about the same height. Myself I feel they need to be recruiting players 6-5 and taller for the post, but their isn't a lot of them around.
Crooks is a very good outlet passer too, if she can dominate the boards it would put pressure on opponents to get back to stop the break.

Crooks is a very good outlet passer too, if she can dominate the boards it would put pressure on opponents to get back to stop the break.
I'm not sure Crooks will be able to rebound at a high level in college. She does have great hands which wil help, but she doesn't get off the ground or have the agility to get rebounds outside of her area. While she is 6'3" that is just average for Big10 posts. One thing that could help is it appears she might have a long wingspan.

I'm not sure Crooks will be able to rebound at a high level in college. She does have great hands which wil help, but she doesn't get off the ground or have the agility to get rebounds outside of her area. While she is 6'3" that is just average for Big10 posts. One thing that could help is it appears she might have a long wingspan.
She does have her work cut out for her to be a good college player. With the improvement she has made in the last year and with one more year of high school left I think she can do it.
There was only one game this year that I saw Monika get both feet off the ground.

Reactions: FrankBurns00
Hopefully Stuelke gets 15-20 minutes a game as her rebounding is direly needed.

Looks like she is athletic and aggressive, at least in the videos we are spoon fed. She has the frame and height with the mobility a B1G forward needs. Bluder knows she‘s doing and recruiting analysts have rated her in high regard. Top 50 recruit. Along with the other strong players coming in Iowa’s program is in great shape into the future.

She does have her work cut out for her to be a good college player. With the improvement she has made in the last year and with one more year of high school left I think she can do it.
There was only one game this year that I saw Monika get both feet off the ground.
I agree Audi Crooks has her work cut out for her wherever she attends college. She may only be a 15-20 minute type player her first couple of years. 6'3 is probably the average size for a BIG center, the better teams do have bigger centers though. Her rebounding, with her size she commands a lot of space by getting in boxing out position as long as the ball is in her zone she will be just fine without jumping even. I just hope she doesn't end up at ISU.

GopherHole (Minnesota site) reporting that Audi Crooks is committing this Thursday. Accurate? GopherHole also reports that her final five is Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT