ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

Anyone know an offer list for Johnson-Etienne? I’ve seen Iowa, Illinois State, Cleveland State, Oakland University and Seton Hall.

Anyone know an offer list for Johnson-Etienne? I’ve seen Iowa, Illinois State, Cleveland State, Oakland University and Seton Hall.
From her Twitter, her other offers include Michigan State, William & Mary, Bradley, SMU.

Reactions: AMAYS

Greenway score 20 points. The more highlights I see of her game, the more she reminds me of K. Doyle. I would expect Bluder to offer next season when she enters high school.

. . . Greenway score 20 points. The more highlights I see of her game, the more she reminds me of K. Doyle. I would expect Bluder to offer next season when she enters high school.
I hope Bluder lets this one play out awhile, and see how she stacks up over a couple summers against better competition. It would be bad to offer so young, and regret it when her hoped-for development does not occur. A couple of friends/acquaintances who were on the Nia Coffey and Paige Bueckers bandwagons when those girls were in junior high are pretty skeptical about the upside of Greenway. Now perhaps that it is just bigger school fans/parents talking down about a smaller school phenom, so take it FWIW.

I hope Bluder lets this one play out awhile, and see how she stacks up over a couple summers against better competition. It would be bad to offer so young, and regret it when her hoped-for development does not occur. A couple of friends/acquaintances who were on the Nia Coffey and Paige Bueckers bandwagons when those girls were in junior high are pretty skeptical about the upside of Greenway. Now perhaps that it is just bigger school fans/parents talking down about a smaller school phenom, so take it FWIW.
She's been consistent even against high-level competition. People are going to talk but she looks pretty legit from the highlights and full games I've seen. She does need to work on being more consistent with her three point shot but she's been very good at getting into the lane and scoring, including over taller players.

She definitely inherited some of her dad's athletic genes. Has very good body control. Finishes off glass and is a better than average defender. She's still in 8th grade and I believe she will continue to improve. Probably not a Paige Bueckers level player but likely will end up a solid 4 star top 100 type player maybe even top 50. Last year she lead her team to the state title game (as a 7th grader) and she's even better this year.

She does play 2A ball so level of competition is always a question but her team did beat Olivia Olson's team. Her teammates are decent shooters - but likely mid major type players. Their success is largely due to Greenway's scoring and ability to create for her teammates.

Her game is very similar to Doyle's and I think she will likely be slightly better than Doyle coming out of HS. She definitely plays with the same demeanor that Doyle had and will probably grow another inch or two over the next four years.

We need role players and defenders too. It's ok if a few players plateau, if you're right most of the time.

BTW, Greenway already has an offer from Minnesota, and I think Lindsey Whalen probably has a good eye when it comes to evaluating guard talent.

Reactions: crstuff
Gabby Marshal has been a liability all year. She cannot get a shot off on her own. All she can do is stand out there and take a wide open 3 shot. Her defense is terrible. If you watch the last 3 minutes they went right by her on 3 occasions. Her quickness is lacking and she can't rebound. She is not good enough to be a starter on a Big10 team. Martin and Warnock are just not quick enough either. Bluder needs to get a better supporting cast. If Clark did not attract so much attention they would never get a shot off on their own. K Doyle was a better rebounder than Warnok, Marshal and Martin.

Gabby Marshal has been a liability all year. She cannot get a shot off on her own. All she can do is stand out there and take a wide open 3 shot. Her defense is terrible. If you watch the last 3 minutes they went right by her on 3 occasions. Her quickness is lacking and she can't rebound. She is not good enough to be a starter on a Big10 team. Martin and Warnock are just not quick enough either. Bluder needs to get a better supporting cast. If Clark did not attract so much attention they would never get a shot off on their own. K Doyle was a better rebounder than Warnok, Marshal and Martin.
Drives me nuts that she will not drive and shoot- she drives then backs out. We have two scoring options and praying one of the other three has a good shooting night

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
Should have given Gabbies minutes to Jensen last year. We could've had 3 scorers today and a shot at the elite 8. Coaches mismanaged the roster.

Feel bad for The law firm.

Should have given Gabbies minutes to Jensen last year. We could've had 3 scorers today and a shot at the elite 8. Coaches mismanaged the roster.

Feel bad for The law firm.
I did not realize Jensen was on the Iowa roster last year. What a shame. She was better than all 3 other Iowa starters in this game. She showed she can create her own shot and drive. I don't understand why she would not have gotten more minutes last year.

Last season people were saying Jensen couldn't create her own shot.

Looks like it's really an issue of player management by the coaches.

I did not realize Jensen was on the Iowa roster last year. What a shame. She was better than all 3 other Iowa starters in this game. She showed she can create her own shot and drive. I don't understand why she would not have gotten more minutes last year.
Jensen was not nearly as consistent with her shooting last year. The coaches tried her at the 2 and the 3. She struggled from the outside and to get the rim and was a defensive liability. She has vastly improved since last season. She's come a long way from where she was even at the beginning of the year when Creighton lost to Drake.

She also wanted top play PG, but was behind both Clark and Meyer. Meyer struggled offensively some last year, but defensively she was light years ahead of Jensen and a better ball handler. Meyer and Taiwo ended up getting most of the backup guard minutes.

The coaches tried Jensen at the 3 but she struggled there too - again mostly defensively. Clearly, she has come a long way and I'm happy for her. But losing Meyer and Jensen and then losing Goodman were huge blows to the depth of this team.

I am more frustrated that Bluder didn't get two players out of the portal instead of just one when Meyer and Jensen left. I hope that the coaches use the portal to their advantage and bring in another ball handler who can get to the rim to spell Clark and to also come off the bench and change the look of the offense so that we're not forced to shoot so many perimeter shots.

Jensen last year at Iowa played in 18 games avg 7 minutes per game, 8/26 FGs including 6/17 threes for a 1.28 avg. She had a total of 7 rebounds and 1/2 FTs.

I was expecting Kylie to be more advanced when transferred In. If she can raise her game in the summer or fall as she has some size for a guard is decent on defense. Just needs to play And gain some confidence

Greenway led her team to a 2A title over the weekend.
It looks like Maddyn had a rapid growth spurt; added several inches.
She is nearly as tall as that girl standing right behind her who is listed at 6ft2 :)
hmh-state-basketball22.jpg

It looks like Maddyn had a rapid growth spurt; added several inches.
She is nearly as tall as that girl standing right behind her who is listed at 6ft2 :)
hmh-state-basketball22.jpg
She is listed at 5'8" currently. I think it's just a deceiving camera angle. But could possibly be 5'10 to 5'11 range by the time she starts college.

I seem to recall Doyle being 5'6 starting HS and then having a late growth spurt. Maddie is 5'8 now but has length which likely indicates she will also have a late growth spurt before college. Even if she doesn't, I feel she will continue to develop as a player and would be a solid PG.

She is listed at 5'8" currently. I think it's just a deceiving camera angle. But could possibly be 5'10 to 5'11 range by the time she starts college.

I seem to recall Doyle being 5'6 starting HS and then having a late growth spurt. Maddie is 5'8 now but has length which likely indicates she will also have a late growth spurt before college. Even if she doesn't, I feel she will continue to develop as a player and would be a solid PG.
Even 5'8' is better than 5'6'. I know it doesn't seem like a big difference, but height does seem to play a decent role in a player's shooting percentages on two-point shots.

Tania Davis (5'6') shot 33% and 45% from 2 her last two seasons at Iowa (the 33% year was the year she got injured after 12 games). Kathleen Doyle (5'9') shot 45% and 48.5% her last two seasons. Kate Martin (6'0') is at 49.0% and 55% her last two seasons. Caitlin Clark (6'0') was around 54% both years.

After the rebounding debacle on Sunday, my view is that Goodman is the key to improvement next year and beyond. She's got the size and at this point with the makeup of the team, I don't feel she'd have to be a great scorer to contribute to the over all success of the team.

The unknown is if she'll have any long term problems from her injury. And as others have said, there has to be another option at SG, because Marshall isn't it.

After the rebounding debacle on Sunday, my view is that Goodman is the key to improvement next year and beyond. She's got the size and at this point with the makeup of the team, I don't feel she'd have to be a great scorer to contribute to the over all success of the team.

The unknown is if she'll have any long term problems from her injury. And as others have said, there has to be another option at SG, because Marshall isn't it.
McCabe is the solution at SG. She's a multi-level scorer.

Even if Goodman or O'Grady could fix the rebounding issue themselves, how do we actually get them on the floor with Czinano? That's the issue the coaches are facing.

I've wanted to see O'Grady play with Czinano this year, but I think we need to realize that if that switch were made, a 2-3 zone is about the only defense we could conceivably play. O'Grady/Goodman/Czinano just aren't fast enough to guard perimeter players well in player defense. If we put two of them on the floor and play player defense, teams will go 5 out and drive for layups or hit open threes all game.

Reactions: jockos
Even if Goodman or O'Grady could fix the rebounding issue themselves, how do we actually get them on the floor with Czinano? That's the issue the coaches are facing.

I've wanted to see O'Grady play with Czinano this year, but I think we need to realize that if that switch were made, a 2-3 zone is about the only defense we could conceivably play. O'Grady/Goodman/Czinano just aren't fast enough to guard perimeter players well in player defense. If we put two of them on the floor and play player defense, teams will go 5 out and drive for layups or hit open threes all game.
Agreed. I believe Bluder mentioned that as her reasoning for why she doesn't put O'Grady and Czinanon on the floor together during one of the radio shows. Look at what happened to us on Sunday defensively with just Czinano out there.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
Agreed. I believe Bluder mentioned that as her reasoning for why she doesn't put O'Grady and Czinanon on the floor together during one of the radio shows. Look at what happened to us on Sunday defensively with just Czinano out there.
On the recruiting side, that's why I really like the tape I saw of Amiah Hargrove. She's 6'2', but also really athletic. I think she could play the 4 (or maybe even as a 3 if we want to go big), help us fix the rebounding issue, and also add something to our defense in the process. Maybe Stuelke can do the same thing.

With all the talk about Greenway's (lack of) height, I thought I'd throw in a little humor. The smiley face failed. I won't quit my day job.

BTW, she plays like a little Doyle clone out there..... and she still has 4 years of high school BB to polish her skills.

Reactions: Gabe Sifuentes
I'll start off by stating that I like every player on the roster. They are Hawks, so I will always support them. That said, unless a couple of them make a change to their game, I fear a similar end to the seaon next year. Maybe getting back to the sweet 16, but no further. That would be a shame as it would be wasting another year with Caitlin Clark.

For the Hawks to take the next step and be a legit contender for the Final 4 at least one player from the group of Warnock, Marshall, Feuerbach and Martin, to remake their game. Either Warnock or Martin need to commit to changing their body, get super fit, and become an elite defender & rebounder. Then either Marshall or Feuerbach also need to change their body and become super fit and strong and become a perimeter pesky quick defender (think Donarski from Iowa State).

If 2 of them could make that change, Iowa could legitimately be a final four contender. I think it would more likely be the combo of Martin and Feuerbach that could do it. It seems like they might have the drive needed to make that transition. (unfortunately it's probably a long shot for any of them, as that style player doesn't seem to be priority to the staff)

Another possibility is that incoming freshman McCabe and Stuelke could fill those roles. That seems like a long shot, though mayne Stuelke could. McCabe might be an upgrade from Marshall, but doesn't seem like she will be a elite perimeter defender at least as a freshman.

However it turns out, next season will again have many highlights and maybe a trip to the second weekend of the tourney.

Go Hawks!

I was expecting Kylie to be more advanced when transferred In. If she can raise her game in the summer or fall as she has some size for a guard is decent on defense. Just needs to play And gain some confidence
Kylie is more advanced than Marshall in every facet of basketball, the coaches just refuse to acknowledge this..

• Wow
Reactions: HIWILLE and LinusPF

Unless one of the three posts work in the offseason on expanding their game, how in the world are there enough minutes to go around? Monica, providing she stays out of foul trouble, will play 25-30 minutes. That doesn't leave many minutes to split between the other two posts. To become better all around offensive players, one of them must develop a mid range game to at least give the opponent something else to defend.

I'll start off by stating that I like every player on the roster. They are Hawks, so I will always support them. That said, unless a couple of them make a change to their game, I fear a similar end to the seaon next year. Maybe getting back to the sweet 16, but no further. That would be a shame as it would be wasting another year with Caitlin Clark.

For the Hawks to take the next step and be a legit contender for the Final 4 at least one player from the group of Warnock, Marshall, Feuerbach and Martin, to remake their game. Either Warnock or Martin need to commit to changing their body, get super fit, and become an elite defender & rebounder. Then either Marshall or Feuerbach also need to change their body and become super fit and strong and become a perimeter pesky quick defender (think Donarski from Iowa State).

If 2 of them could make that change, Iowa could legitimately be a final four contender. I think it would more likely be the combo of Martin and Feuerbach that could do it. It seems like they might have the drive needed to make that transition. (unfortunately it's probably a long shot for any of them, as that style player doesn't seem to be priority to the staff)

Another possibility is that incoming freshman McCabe and Stuelke could fill those roles. That seems like a long shot, though mayne Stuelke could. McCabe might be an upgrade from Marshall, but doesn't seem like she will be a elite perimeter defender at least as a freshman.

However it turns out, next season will again have many highlights and maybe a trip to the second weekend of the tourney.

Go Hawks!
McCabe doesn't need to be elite defender right away because of her scoring ability. Put her in the lineup and suddenly players are forced to defend which will open up the floor. McCabe is not shy about shooting if she has daylight as she's been an assassin throughout her HS career.

I've seen Gabbie and Kate and McKenna pause when hit with a cross court pass instead of immediately releasing for 3. With McCabe there will be no hesitancy so I expect Clark's assist numbers to go up and Iowa's scoring overall to go up.

We have been missing a consistent third score since Megan Meyer graduated. And when we have games like Sunday where that 3rd scorer doesn't show up it usually means a loss unless we're playing an inferior opponent.

I also believe Stuelke is more consistent and much better at getting to the rim. McKenna is amazing when her 3 point shooting is on but she disappears when she's having an off shooting night. Stuelke is much more athletic and will add another dimension offensively as well be a huge help on the boards.

On the recruiting side, that's why I really like the tape I saw of Amiah Hargrove. She's 6'2', but also really athletic. I think she could play the 4 (or maybe even as a 3 if we want to go big), help us fix the rebounding issue, and also add something to our defense in the process. Maybe Stuelke can do the same thing.
I am confident that Hannah Stuelke can absolutely do the same thing. I believe she will have an immediate and remarkable impact next season.

Kylie is more advanced than Marshall in every facet of basketball, the coaches just refuse to acknowledge this..
In terms of offense, Gabbie is a better shooter. Kylie is better at getting to the rim. Kylie has shown flashes as someone who can drive and dish, but more often than not her attempts to do so have lead to turnovers. Conversely, Gabbie has a lower ceiling as a playmaker but takes better care of the ball within the flow of the offense. Perhaps with another year of experience in Iowa's system under her belt, Kylie can improve her decision making.

On defense, Kylie has the potential to be more disruptive and better on the glass than Gabbie. However, she has been foul prone. I feel like there were a number of possessions where Iowa played good defense for about 25 seconds but Kylie committed a foul as the shot clock was winding down when trying to up the ball pressure to get the shot clock violation. Gabbie is a bit more conservative and fouls less but isn't very good at stopping dribble penetration. Obviously it doesn't help that she's usually guarding the other team's best guard and that our help defense is usually slow to rotate and we have next to no rim protection with Monika.

Overall, I hope Gabbie can become a bit more aggressive all around, while Kylie can mature a bit in her decision making. Next year I think we'll need Kylie to take over Tomi's role as the backup to Kate at the 3 while McCabe backs up Gabbie at the 2.

Go Hawks!
Even though you eat worms, you're correct on changes. Not sure about the body changes, but your use of the word "commit" is spot on. They need to commit to rebounding and defensive effort. Too often in games you would see ALL 5 GIRLS stand there and watch the ball come off the rim and not react, and that was on full display against Creighton. And someone would get badly beaten at the top of the key and girls would be a few feet away and watch the opposition head for a layup, as if they were hoping that the beaten girl would recover and stop the drive. COMMIT to changing the effort in those two areas (I hate to use the word 'effort' there, because no, I don't think the girls aren't trying and working overall, but...).
And everyone you mentioned above could commit to being more aggressive. The flashback to girls having wide open shots, within the offense, and passing them up out of totally obvious fear was maddening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT