ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestlers on Heavyweight Nation Podcast

LaxHawk174

HR All-American
Jan 15, 2014
For anybody interested. Of note: Kueter confirms himself he will be wrestling 197 this year for the Hawks. Go to about 20:30 of his video. (Edit: Kueter confirms me dumb - 97KG)

Another great comment from Kueter: Paraphrasing -"It's never been about the money for me, its more about the love of the sport."

Last edited:
I do not think it is about the money for most people. That is one of the great things about this sport. If you are doing for the money, you are very underpaid. It has to be a pursuit of a dream and the love to compete and test yourself that drives you.
We have one of the purist sports out there. The rewards are in the accomplishments and the growth that occurs. No amount of money is going to take precedence over that when these guys go thru so much to be successful. The guys who are in it for the money, do not last long. There are a lot of easier ways to make a living.
Good for Ben. He has winner written all over him!!

Reactions: LaxHawk174
I do not think it is about the money for most people. That is one of the great things about this sport. If you are doing for the money, you are very underpaid. It has to be a pursuit of a dream and the love to compete and test yourself that drives you.
We have one of the purist sports out there. The rewards are in the accomplishments and the growth that occurs. No amount of money is going to take precedence over that when these guys go thru so much to be successful. The guys who are in it for the money, do not last long. There are a lot of easier ways to make a living.
Good for Ben. He has winner written all over him!!
Agreed, he was also referencing football when talking about the money as well. Said something akin to: It would be hard to turn down a multi-million dollar NFL deal, but ultimately if I love wrestling enough and wanted to pursue Olympic gold then that's what I would do.

For anybody interested. Of note: Kueter confirms himself he will be wrestling 197 this year for the Hawks. Go to about 20:30 of his video.

Another great comment from Kueter: Paraphrasing -"It's never been about the money for me, its more about the love of the sport."

I think he’s referring to 97 KG next weekend. I thought the same thing and took a second listening.

I think he’s referring to 97 KG next weekend.
Yeah, I could be mistaken. It seemed like in the context he was talking about 197/285 - being asked if he rolled with Cassioppi/Warner and him stating he didn't think he'd be ready for heavyweight next year, but in the future he would be.

Yeah, I could be mistaken. It seemed like in the context he was talking about 197/285 - being asked if he rolled with Cassioppi/Warner and him stating he didn't think he'd be ready for heavyweight next year, but in the future he would be.
Well, there’s a big jump between making 197 and being ready to go at D-1 hwt, eh?

Well, there’s a big jump between making 197 and being ready to go at D-1 hwt, eh?
Well he said he walks around at 220-225 and loses like 8-9-10 lbs at a normal practice/workout. Watch for yourself, what was your opinion?

The reference was to 97 kg. At one point, they tried to do the math to put it in lbs, to compare with his walk-around ~225 lbs and after-practice weight (based on 8-9 lbs lost during practice).

Said his plan is to stay at 97 kg for freestyle as long as he’s still advancing within the tournament structure. “If the U.S. Open doesn’t go to plan, then it’s time for football, time to get big”. Said later in the interview that his goal is 240-245 lbs for football.

The reference was to 97 kg. At one point, they tried to do the math to put it in lbs, to compare with his walk-around ~225 lbs and after-practice weight (based on 8-9 lbs lost during practice).

Said his plan is to stay at 97 kg for freestyle as long as he’s still advancing within the tournament structure. “If the U.S. Open doesn’t go to plan, then it’s time for football, time to get big”. Said later in the interview that his goal is 240-245 lbs for football.
My listening skills dropped off after I heard "dropping to 97".

I haven't listened to the Murin one yet, but the Warner interview is a great listen too. Very candid. Glad he is sticking around, even if only for a year or two as of right now.

One good story he shared was during his Redshirt year, he was roommates with Spencer. The week/weekend after B1G's, Spencer was feeling pretty bummed and taking the loss to Tomasello pretty hard. He and Warner just sat on the futon with a big tub of ice cream right between them just mowing down with two spoons, eating away his sorrows and raising his spirits.

We can thank Warner for getting Spencer in the right frame of mind for his first NCAA's!

I haven't listened to the Murin one yet, but the Warner interview is a great listen too. Very candid. Glad he is sticking around, even if only for a year or two as of right now.

One good story he shared was during his Redshirt year, he was roommates with Spencer. The week/weekend after B1G's, Spencer was feeling pretty bummed and taking the loss to Tomasello pretty hard. He and Warner just sat on the futon with a big tub of ice cream right between them just mowing down with two spoons, eating away his sorrows and raising his spirits.

We can thank Warner for getting Spencer in the right frame of mind for his first NCAA's!
I’ve heard all kinds of stories about Spencer and teammates after looses. They truly were a team, or better yet, a band of brothers. It’s no surprise they had the three year run they did. Each of them pushed to be better. I’m disappointed more didn’t reach their individual goals, but that pales in comparison to their disappointment. I’m happy they were all Hawks.

Will Gabe himself mentioned 174, so I think 157 is probably out of the realm of where he'll be.

Thanks for posting these. I enjoyed Murin. Interesting that he has always had to work for everything but was always around guys that seemed to make it look easy. Cool dynamic and he seems appreciative of what he accomplished. Good for him, great perspective from the young man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT