ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

vhsalum

HR MVP
Nov 14, 2002
Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

What a weekend. While it wasn't the best for the Hawks - I still love talking to the best fans of the world's oldest and gratest! Let's run it down shall we!

Lineup:

125: Ayala
133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo/Siebrecht
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

Biggest surprise for me is Block at 149. But it looks like he'll be the man. Right now the plan is Caliendo to 157 (edited to add Siebrecht as well at 157) to get PK in the lineup. Brands medical was approved. AJ - somehow, yuck, - is still in the plans, but it sounds like he's just going to move on to MMA. Anthony is still around and is still a troublemaker. Why he's still around is absolutely absurd and when he does something worse, it's going to be on Tom.

There is no talk about changes to assistant. Like Wahlberg said - assistants are just extensions of Tom. Period. I think its short-sighted, arrogant, and at this point, just plain negligent, but hey, dems the breaks.

Sorry acuhawk - Tom's practices on a general basis are NOT 45-60 minutes. They are towards the end of the season, and certainly happen earlier than they used to, but that is not the typical practice time. But the practice time isn't really the biggest deal - it's still the intensity. Still long goes, still far more on the "dark places" track.

Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely.

Last edited:

What a weekend. While it wasn't the best for the Hawks - I still love talking to the best fans of the world's oldest and gratest! Let's run it down shall we!

Lineup:

133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

Biggest surprise for me is Block at 149. But it looks like he'll be the man. Right now the plan is Caliendo to 157 to get PK in the lineup. Brands medical was approved. AJ - somehow, yuck, - is still in the plans, but it sounds like he's just going to move on to MMA. Anthony is still around and is still a troublemaker. Why he's still around is absolutely absurd and when he does something worse, it's going to be on Tom.

There is no talk about changes to assistant. Like Wahlberg said - assistants are just extensions of Tom. Period. I think its short-sighted, arrogant, and at this point, just plain negligent, but hey, dems the breaks.

Sorry acuhawk - Tom's practices on a general basis are NOT 45-60 minutes. They are towards the end of the season, and certainly happen earlier than they used to, but that is not the typical practice time. But the practice time isn't really the biggest deal - it's still the intensity. Still long goes, still far more on the "dark places" track.

Now the biggie - yes. Kyven was right. The AD has plans to talk to DT. She is dead serious about WINNING chips again. She's not particularly happy with Tom at the moment. The gambling, the ferrari situation, and this performance - she's holding Tom accountable and will be looking to do what will have us beat carl. She is VERY AWARE of the legacy of Iowa wrestling and how we're falling further behind. Like I told you earlier, she shut down AJ coming in in January - she's not a fan and isn't a fan of Tom's decision to bring the circus in. She also told Tom to get a hold of Terry - it's why he's been "less" in the corners.

Now how this got out? Not sure, but it likely means there are Tom loyalists who wanted it leaked. Because the plan was to wait until after the Olympics to talk to DT. So now that its out, not sure if this will accelerate talks or stop them completely.
this is exactly why i get on this board!!! great information. How responsive is DT do you think?

Lineup:

133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

Biggest surprise for me is Block at 149. But it looks like he'll be the man. Right now the plan is Caliendo to 157 to get PK in the lineup. Brands medical was approved. AJ - somehow, yuck, - is still in the plans, but it sounds like he's just going to move on to MMA. Anthony is still around and is still a troublemaker. Why he's still around is absolutely absurd and when he does something worse, it's going to be on Tom.

Lot of interesting stuff there Vhsalum. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the modern era of wrestling really frustrates Tom. In his glory years, relentless forward pressure was very successful for TnT. There weren't many counter wrestlers and if opponents failed to engage or backed up the refs called stalling aggressively. This played right into TnTs style of wrestling. That isn't the case now. Refs don't call stalling at all and more wrestlers are defensive counter wrestlers than aren't now. Instead of attacking, they are waiting for Iowa to shoot and counter and score off our shots. It is the way matches are reffed now as well, like it or not. How many guys never take even 1 committed shot in a match, but never get hit for stalling. Tom needs to adapt Iowa's style for clean, fast finishes and better scrambling or we will keep falling farther behind. If he can't coach that style, bring in an assistant that can.

I am really getting to like our new AD.

I've heard he'll "listen" - basically, the offer would have to be everything and more.
How would this work with Toms contract running through 2029? Will they both coexist or will Tom get canned for it to work?

I don’t know if you can wait until after the Olympics to hire a new head coach. Especially if you want to be good right away next year. Portal is already open, and you want to replenish your roster when wrestlers expectedly leave when/if Tom is canned. Hopefully it’s done swiftly if at all.
It would be interesting to see who chooses to leave with Tom vs Stay. I think it would more effect the RTC guys.

I don’t know if you can wait until after the Olympics to hire a new head coach. Especially if you want to be good right away next year. Portal is already open, and you want to replenish your roster when wrestlers expectedly leave when/if Tom is canned. Hopefully it’s done swiftly if at all.
This. Time-frames don't line up. Olympics end early August.

This probably the best post of the last 30 days. Informative and honest ...not some judgmental hor$e$hit that some angry guy or PSU troll wants to throw out for the enjoyment of watching Iowa fans attacking each other. Thanks to VHS for the information and some possible future moves. Also on a side note...thanks to VHS for revolutionizing the media world during the 1980s and allowing my friend to work at Blockbuster and for letting me use his employee discount on VHS Movie rentals.

we can wait a year for the best option

Lineup:

133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo/Siebrecht
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

Biggest surprise for me is Block at 149. But it looks like he'll be the man. Right now the plan is Caliendo to 157 (edited to add Siebrecht as well at 157) to get PK in the lineup. Brands medical was approved. AJ - somehow, yuck, - is still in the plans, but it sounds like he's just going to move on to MMA. Anthony is still around and is still a troublemaker. Why he's still around is absolutely absurd and when he does something worse, it's going to be on Tom.

Most important tidbit here. Excellent, excellent news. Even if it doesn't result in a HC change, I really think Tom needs the oversight and pushback. Too many yes-men around him for too long. He needs to be challenged.

Feels like that would more than likely be a move for the next season, but don't love the idea of Tom being a lame duck coach.

Either way, if you believe you can upgrade, the timeline is less important than getting your guy. It would put the new guy behind the 8 ball for the first year, but this move isn't about one year. It's a long-term play.

I have a hard time believing Nelson will stick around if his dad and uncle are sacked...but if that happens who cares if Nelson leaves!

I'll believe when I see it with DT but I've taken a liking to the new AD. If Tom doesn't shake up the coaching staff I do see next year as his last year as they'll finish 4-8 at Nationals. My prediction is Beth will be busy hiring both a head Wrestling and Men's basketball coach this time next year and Kirk will retire in the next 2-3 years.

Lot of interesting stuff there Vhsalum. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the modern era of wrestling really frustrates Tom. In his glory years, relentless forward pressure was very successful for TnT. There weren't many counter wrestlers and if opponents failed to engage or backed up the refs called stalling aggressively. This played right into TnTs style of wrestling. That isn't the case now. Refs don't call stalling at all and more wrestlers are defensive counter wrestlers than aren't now. Instead of attacking, they are waiting for Iowa to shoot and counter and score off our shots. It is the way matches are reffed now as well, like it or not. How many guys never take even 1 committed shot in a match, but never get hit for stalling. Tom needs to adapt Iowa's style for clean, fast finishes and better scrambling or we will keep falling farther behind. If he can't coach that style, bring in an assistant that can.

To believe this, it would mean you would have to believe Beth is openly discussing personnel matters with the general public. Do people really believe this is the case? So our AD is openly discussing personnel matters, and already has conducted off-season reviews, prior to the end of the season? Sounds to me like typical national tournament rumor and inuendo.

I've heard he'll "listen" - basically, the offer would have to be everything and more.
This seems like the right answer. If he ever has any aspirations to coach at the D1 level (which I have no inside information about one way or the other), then Iowa is as good of a landing spot as there is outside State College, so he would definitely listen because you have to strike when the opportunity presents itself, even if it might not be the ideal timing. What it would take, who knows?

Straight to a HC with zero collegiate coaching experience? The name is right, but it may require a 3-4 year patience window. It sounds to me more like a message to Tom to make a few changes because I’m serious about making my own if you don’t. In other words I’d rather risk failing while trying than aiming for #2 at best with certainty. Good for her.

I’d imagine Spencer could fit pretty nicely as an assistant coach under DT’s watch. That’s a damn good lightweight / upper weight combo to begin with.
If this all goes down, DT would be very wise to bring Spencer on as a coach whenever he's done competing, and even earlier for recruiting if possible. He is the face of Iowa success in recent years, and would be a huge asset in selling the program for recruits (not that an Olympic gold medalist, possibly multiple Olympic gold medalist by that time, couldn't sell the program to recruits, but Spencer is clearly a huge asset in that regard as well).

Straight to a HC with zero collegiate coaching experience? The name is right, but it may require a 3-4 year patience window. It sounds to me more like a message to Tom to make a few changes because I’m serious about making my own if you don’t. In other words I’d rather risk failing while trying than aiming for #2 at best with certainty. Good for her.
I agree with this. I do think if DT wants the head job you have to give it to him. No one will be an assistant under Brands, he has torched 99% of the bridges he crosses.

You hope so lol

i’m a strong believer the best move is to bring david in on a succession plan. have him start with running the room and learning the ins and outs of the admin game. this would allow them to make the move after the trials but before the olympics…

i’m a strong believer the best move is to bring david in on a succession plan. have him start with running the room and learning the ins and outs of the admin game. this would allow them to make the move after the trials but before the olympics…
I get it, but it's not a tenable situation under Brands.

I do think this might be a little overstated too. He already runs a large business. His wife runs another business. They own a farm with prize animals, which I think counts as a third business. I think DT could probably learn the admin ropes pretty quickly.

Lineup:

133 - Peterson/portal
141 - Portal
149 - Block
157 - Caliendo/Siebrecht
165 - PK
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter/Hill

I'm not sure how Siebrecht factors in here. There should be no situation next year where Caliendo isn't in the lineup. He was outstanding this year and PK/Siebrecht haven't done anything to make you try to force them into the lineup.

If, and it's a BIG if, DT would be the next head coach you completely sever the ties with the Brands. Let DT go through some on the job training and figure things out on his own. He's more than capable of doing this. The upside is WAY too good not to take your chances with him at the helm. One thing that would be a guarantee is the massive upgrade in talent that he'd bring with him and recruit to Iowa City.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT