ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned at NCAAs this weekend

Of course it matters. You can’t pay 90% of the US Olympic team to base out of your RTC without the money for one thing.
What does the NLWC have to do with the college team? Yes, there is an indirect connection between lower scholly money and post-collegiate reward at NLWC but it isn't absolutely promised. You have to earn it on the mat. My perception is that Cael has created an environment where there is open and fair competition in the room where everyone is given the chance to excel. It's then up to the wrestler to excel with the tools at hand. We need to look at it from a high end wrestler's POV. They are supreme competitors. They all think they have what it takes to become national and olympic champions. Cael gives them that opportunity. It's not some magic secret sauce. Cael was ultra elite in an era of wrestling that started becoming more offensive minded, and understands the mindset of these kids and his message is tailored to that. The truth doesn't have to be complicated. DT is the same mold as Cael, and very likely believes the same things.

Last edited:
Are we talking about RTC or NIL? I keep getting the excuses mixed up.
I am not making an excuse. I am all for DT coming in it if he’s available but let’s not pretend money won’t be an issue even if he gets hired. These days recruited top end athletes need to get paid after they are done competing in college. Workout partners for the college guys need to be payed while they pursue gold medals. It’s all tied together. Money is definitely another mountain we need to climb to consistently catch PSU.

I am not making an excuse. I am all for DT coming in it if he’s available but let’s not pretend money won’t be an issue even if he gets hired. These days recruited top end athletes need to get paid after they are done competing in college. Workout partners for the college guys need to be payed while they pursue gold medals. It’s all tied together. Money is definitely another mountain we need to climb to consistently catch PSU.
I largely agree with this, and would just say that if a coach laid out the "plan" for the future, the money issue would take care of itself. Money always follows success, so it's one of those, "if you build it they will come" things. Cael did it that way. Laid out his plan. Built it. The money came in bunches.

Last edited:
Are you going to argue that PA doesn’t have the best high school wrestling?

When Iowa was on top of the wrestling world four short years ago, where were your studs from?

And a million stats that prove PA has the best high school wrestling.
I didn't say they weren't. I asked why, if they were, are they the minority on PSU's roster? I could go on at great length about the best wrestling states, but I don't have the time or energy today.
I largely agree with this, and would just say that if a coach laid out the "plan" for the future, the money issue would take care of itself. Money always follows success, so it's one of those, "if you build it they will come" things. Cael did it that way. Laid out his plan. Built it. The money came in bunches.
The money came WHEN Bael came (largely to get him there), not after. Maybe Ira waited until he was there(I don't know the exact timeline) , but the plan was in place before Bael had a plan,

Why do we think this? Every other recent #1 seed for the hawks lost (except one year for Spencer). He had a million close matches that year and was seconds away from losing in big tens. He had a prior loss to his likely quarterfinal opponent.

You can't just add Lugo as a "likely champ" when the track record is full of better, more dominant guys not getting it done (Marinelli x 2, Eierman, Kemerer, Gilman).
You all are intent on hurting my feelings today… butthole.

I didn't say they weren't. I asked why, if they were, are they the minority on PSU's roster? I could go on at great length about the best wrestling states, but I don't have the time or energy today.

The money came WHEN Bael came (largely to get him there), not after. Maybe Ira waited until he was there(I don't know the exact timeline) , but the plan was in place before Bael had a plan,
There are 37 wrestlers on the current roster. 15 are from PA and 7 more are from a bordering state. Half (19) of the 38 national champs Cael has coached at PSU are from PA and 8 more are from a bordering state. There are 11 D1 wrestling programs in PA. If you don’t think PA is in the middle of the best wrestling recruiting base, then I can’t help you.

I don't have it in front of me, but if memory serves, a $5M infusion into the NLWC occurred sometime around 2014/2015. That is when the NLWC took off because it gave them a ton more flexibility in bringing more guys and higher quality into the program..

I don't have it in front of me, but if memory serves, a $5M infusion into the NLWC occurred sometime around 2014/2015. That is when the NLWC took off because it gave them a ton more flexibility in bringing more guys and higher quality into the program..
The donation was in 2014. This article from 2017 is worth reading. I'm sure it's been posted before but the point is that the NLWC was primarily funded AFTER Cael built a winner at PSU. It didn't all come at the same time.

If you're not being sarcastic - you literally summed up Tom's inadequacies quite succintly.

Acting like a shiny facility was going to get us recruits, and not the... you know ACTUAL F'ING RESULTS OF THE "DEBACLE OF THE 20201 FINALS" - isn't an indictment against Tom is comical.
I see your point and I felt the same way about the 2021 finals. I was thinking if the 2020 tournament wasn’t canceled Kem would have been done in 2021, I was wrong. It was gut wrenching to watch Eireman’s finals match. It was downright embarrassing and when Kem lost it was more than I could take.
My other points stand as I believe results could have been different had Covid not hit.

Reactions: vhsalum
The avenue I tried to present was not based on excuses, it was based on did it help or did it hurt?
I am not blind to the fact that we have shown severe flaws in our techniques.
However don’t be blind to entertaining we may have landed high level recruits after the facilities are completed, Spencer wins 4, possibly kicks Gilman’s ass and wins a gold medal. We have back to back team championships and the debacle of the 2021 finals round doesn’t happen.
Let’s just excuse all of this and say the coaches need to go because all of the above are excuses and it didn’t contribute to PSU widening the gap.
Why do we think we would have made everything go our way if not for Covid? Is that the reality of this program under TnT? Do they always make all things go in our favor? And why are we idolizing a building as the/an answer to our struggles? I honestly think the wrestling facilities at CHA are excellent and this played ABSOLUTELY ZERO roll in my decision to go to Iowa. Neither did any of my teammates ever have discussions with me about the quality of the facilities of the teams we traveled to wrestle against.

Once again, PSU is playing chess on this one. A couple years down the road, there could be a wrestle-off between #1 overall recruits Joe Sealey and PJ Duke for one spot.
It's not playing chess as much as it is a difference in philosophy. That said, Cael doesn't sugar coat it. You earn your spot in the lineup. Hell, Mike Beard became an AA his freshman year and got replaced. Some think that's terrible. Others think that's life. I never heard Michael Beard ever complain.

It's not playing chess as much as it is a difference in philosophy. That said, Cael doesn't sugar coat it. You earn your spot in the lineup. Hell, Mike Beard became an AA his freshman year and got replaced. Some think that's terrible. Others think that's life. I never heard Michael Beard ever complain.
Our fanbase is trying to talk themselves into a kid dropping two weight classes to fit in the line up because "he put in the work"

Our fanbase is trying to talk themselves into a kid dropping two weight classes to fit in the line up because "he put in the work"
As someone who used to drop from 135 in summer to wrestle 112 (in the 1970s mindset), I'm a big believer that the best results come from being nearer your natural weight. If you are not able to get past the guy ahead of you, then you have to accept that. It's up to the coach to have recruited someone ready to fit into the slot two weights lower without sacrificing a body from two weights up.

Backups do get paid here actually. Just can't match the level of Penn State.
a great many backups get book money at PSU. I respect those guys whatever singlet they wear. Toiling all year doing what we all know is a tough position to be in, and not for a lot of "pay". No team can excel without them.

Last edited:
Reactions: hlstone and vhsalum
Then I suggest you help the cause instead of constant bitching. Brad at The Swarm will gladly take your donation to the Iowa wrestling NIL.
I think it's more helpful to 'the cause' to discuss and figure out the correct direction to travel in rather than gathering boatloads of money to keep going in the wrong direction.

Why do we think we would have made everything go our way if not for Covid? Is that the reality of this program under TnT? Do they always make all things go in our favor? And why are we idolizing a building as the/an answer to our struggles? I honestly think the wrestling facilities at CHA are excellent and this played ABSOLUTELY ZERO roll in my decision to go to Iowa. Neither did any of my teammates ever have discussions with me about the quality of the facilities of the teams we traveled to wrestle against.
You are missing my point. I am saying we would have had more success had Covid not canceled 2020 and the building would have been completed on the original timeline and cost. Again, I am saying it would have helped, as it turned out I believe it hurt.
When you wrestled at Iowa did you take other recruiting visits to universities where facilities were not upgraded as they are today? I am just curious and not trying to make a point or change your mind.

Zach Ryder did it this year. Look out below for him next year. LOL.

This is part of what I have alluded to in the past. The PSU "model", which DT has been fully immersed in for years now, starts with M2 and junior training, including a facility for kids to train with past NCAA champs and even Olympic champs after committing instead of wasting time dominating high schoolers, obviously includes Cael and the PSU squad, and then has NLWC for the kids who want to continue on in international wrestling or Nickal and ATT for the kids who want to move into MMA instead. It's all right there in State College for one stop shopping for the elite of the elite in combat sports from junior to senior. DT understands what this entails and has been an integral part of the construction of the whole thing from the ground floor when Cael first moved over from Iowa St. That more than makes up for not having any head coaching experience at the D1 level. Again, this is all just in the "message board speculation" stage with a very small chance of actually coming to fruition, but if DT moves over to NCAA coaching, it will be with a school with the resources to build out a similar soup-to-nuts world class facility that could compete with PSU, and Iowa is on a very short list of schools with those resources. If there is mutual interest, it would be wise for the Iowa side to take a long look at him.

Nickal is on the UFC 300 main card next month. Once he inevitably ascends to be the UFC champ at his weight in the next couple years and ATT establishes itself as the premier MMA training facility in the world next to NLWC as the premier international wrestling training facility in the world, the gap is going to widen even further.
I'll just add one thing. ATT is already the premier MMA gym in the world. Google it. They are all over the place and have been forever. Marcel and Moose are awesome and Marcel has been in Coconut Creek and then Dallas prior to Pleasant Gap, but Bo has all of ATT at his fingertips if he needs it. No one else has anywhere close to their stable. You could.make the argument that the single best coach is at Couture but they don't have the stable or locales that ATT does.

Then I suggest you help the cause instead of constant bitching. Brad at The Swarm will gladly take your donation to the Iowa wrestling NIL.
I've been a member of the Swarm since its inception and a member of the Inner Circle since 2018.

Who is responsible for distributing the NIL dollars for the wrestling team? If the figures I've heard with Franek's transfer are accurate, he would be one of the highest-paid individuals in the current PSU lineup.

If you're asking people to contribute their hard-earned money, you need to have a well-defined plan for how it will be spent. And while I'm certainly happy Jared was a Hawk this year, investing that amount of money in a one-year transfer on a team with no chance of winning a title seems incredibly irresponsible and short-sighted.

As others have pointed out, if fans sensed there was a clear vision or overarching strategy in place for recruiting and witnessed tangible changes and progress, financial support would naturally follow.

You are missing my point. I am saying we would have had more success had Covid not canceled 2020 and the building would have been completed on the original timeline and cost. Again, I am saying it would have helped, as it turned out I believe it hurt.
When you wrestled at Iowa did you take other recruiting visits to universities where facilities were not upgraded as they are today? I am just curious and not trying to make a point or change your mind.
I took one other recruiting visit (B1G school). Facility was somewhat comparable to, but not as nice as, CHA wrestling facilities. But again, that literally did not factor in to my decision at all.

Last edited:
As someone who used to drop from 135 in summer to wrestle 112 (in the 1970s mindset), I'm a big believer that the best results come from being nearer your natural weight. If you are not able to get past the guy ahead of you, then you have to accept that. It's up to the coach to have recruited someone ready to fit into the slot two weights lower without sacrificing a body from two weights up.
My sophomore year, we had a guy who did basically that. We had solid kids at 98 and 105 and a state qualifier at 119, but no one for 112, so one of the better kids on the team (but not good enough to beat our star wrestler for 119) sucked down from about 135 walking around to wrestle 112 so we'd have a full lineup. I was 126. That ended when he passed out from dehydration at practice and had to go to the ER. He was immediately recertified at 119 and challenged me for 126. After rag-dolling him all season when he was 112, he kicked my ass all over the mat two days after getting out of the ER and took my spot at 126. It's astounding how much of a detriment that sort of cut really is. This was in the 80s, though, so the mentality was totally different (and today the doc who certified him at 112 would be in big trouble...). We had to forfeit 112 for the rest of the season, but were probably better off for it anyway (he definitely was...).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT