ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Non-Conference Report Card

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
The Hawks are riding high heading into the meat of their schedule, sitting at 4-0 and ranked in the Top 5 of most major polls. They're playing well, no doubt about it. How have they stacked up statistically compared to the rest of the Big 10?

Scoring Offense: C-. The Hawks rank 8th in scoring offense, at 29 points per game. This stat is inflated, however, considering the defense is responsible for more points than any other defense in the country. If you don't count the pick 6s and safeties, the Hawks drop down to 11th in scoring. With that said, they're still scoring more points than their opponents, so they aren't quite deserving of a D.

Scoring Defense: A+. The Hawks lead the Big 10 in scoring defense, allowing just 11 points per game! They've allowed just 5 touchdowns through 4 games this season, and several of those were a result of the offense giving opponents a short field. It's safe to say that whatever Iowa's paying Parker, he's underpaid.

Rushing Offense: D-. Despite returning the reigning 1st team all-Big 10 running back in Goodson, perhaps the best center in college football, and boasting a well known "run first" offense, the Hawks rank just 12th in the Big 10 in rushing and 13th in yards per attempt at just 3.3. How is this ineptitude possible? Is the new OL coach that bad, is Brian's play calling that predictable, or did Goodson somehow regress? Either way, this has to be the most disappointing stat of the season thus far, based on expectations.

Total Defense: A. The bend but don't break defense is getting the job done, ranking 3rd in the conference in total D, allowing 272 yards per game, and 3rd in rushing D. If you go by yards allowed per play, the Hawks stand alone at the top of the conference.

3rd Down Conversions: D. It's a little surprising how a 4-0 team and dark horse Playoff contender can rank 12th in their own conference in 3rd down conversions, converting just 35% of the time. By comparison, Ohio State and Michigan are up at 50%, and even lowly Nebraska converts 46% of the time. There are several possible explanations, but I think the problem is pretty obvious...Brian's incompetence at play calling on 1st down is leading to far too many 3rd and long situations. And far too often on 3rd and 7, Iowa either calls a draw play for no gain or a 3 yard out.

Sacks: A-. Despite a defense that "rarely blitzes," and losing some stud DL to the NFL draft, the Hawk rank 4th in sacks at 3.25 per game. Surprisingly, this week's opponent, Maryland, ranks first in sacks, which is the last thing happy feet Petras needs to hear going into the game. Look for a lot of extremely quick dump off passes this week and audibles to the run.

Sacks Allowed: D+. The combination of poor OL play and an immobile QB who easily panics has allowed "OL U" to rank 11th in sacks allowed, at 2.25. By comparison, Michigan has allowed just 1 sack all season. The OL is at full strength, health wise, which is more than most teams can say, so it's time for them to step up and block.

Punting: A+. Watching Taylor punt is a treat. He ranks just 5th, averaging 48 yards per punt, but with the help of Terry Roberts, he's got an uncanny ability to pin opponents back inside their own 10 yard line. Thus far, punting has been winning at Iowa. Let's hope moving forward the Hawks are less reliant on their punter being the team's MVP and more reliant upon a decent passing game.

Punt Returns: A-. Sure, other teams have better known punt returners, with Charlie Jones ranking 6th in average per return at 12 yrds per attempt, but the guy is a breath of fresh air back there, showing no fear and returning balls that a majority of previous Hawkeye punt returners would have fair caught or let bounce. In fact, one of the most pleasant stats out there is that Jones leads the Big 10 in punt return attempts, leaving the fair catching to the wusses.

Iowa Law...your grades are spot on. That being said, it was an open book test and the answers were tantamount to Donald Trump's intelligence test (i.e. which one of these pictures is a cat type of stuff).

What I would really like to see if you go through all players on the two deep and give us an analysis on who you believe is either on an upward trend, staying flat, or in a downward trend. A few paragraphs for each player should give you enough content to prove your points.

Iowa Law...your grades are spot on. That being said, it was an open book test and the answers were tantamount to Donald Trump's intelligence test (i.e. which one of these pictures is a cat type of stuff).

What I would really like to see if you go through all players on the two deep and give us an analysis on who you believe is either on an upward trend, staying flat, or in a downward trend. A few paragraphs for each player should give you enough content to prove your points.
I see IowasLaw second handle has appeared.

Reactions: RothMatt
I mean he does come across as a tool but for the most part OP was pretty accurate. Poor line play is ultimately the biggest issue IMO. Have to get the run game going bc it sets up everything else in Iowas offense

Why do people think it's cool to bring politics to a sports forum? All it does is start a pissing contest which has NOTHING to do with sports. Good job WinOneThisCentury, you win the Dick award for the week. ;)

That being said, I shiver to think what type of intelligence test Joe Biden could actually pass.
I don't remember Biden in the White House briefing room on 4-23-2020 encouraging his top health officials to study the injection of bleach into the human body as a means of fighting Covid. Should your orange hero get a pass for that boner?

I don't remember Biden in the White House briefing room on 4-23-2020 encouraging his top health officials to study the injection of bleach into the human body as a means of fighting Covid. Should your orange hero get a pass for that boner?
Lol. Which never happened. He's still living rent free in your head.

I do have a couple nits to pick here..

Scoring Offense: C-. The Hawks rank 8th in scoring offense, at 29 points per game. This stat is inflated, however, considering the defense is responsible for more points than any other defense in the country. If you don't count the pick 6s and safeties, the Hawks drop down to 11th in scoring. With that said, they're still scoring more points than their opponents, so they aren't quite deserving of a D.
These comments are not exactly to defend the offense, because it definitely has not done enough, but you say that the scoring stat is inflated because of defensive scores while still comparing offensive scoring to the rest of the league. That’s deflated to some extent. If the D gets a pick six or a scoop-and-score fumble, they take the ball from the other team, score and then give it back to the other team. The offense doesn’t get to take the field there. I’ll take that deal 99 times in 100, but you then have to account for the lost possessions when really evaluating the offense. On the whole, though, this offense has been far from great.

Total Defense: A. The bend but don't break defense is getting the job done, ranking 3rd in the conference in total D, allowing 272 yards per game, and 3rd in rushing D. If you go by yards allowed per play, the Hawks stand alone at the top of the conference.
Another small nit to pick. If Iowa is 3rd in the conference in yards allowed and 3rd in rushing D and lead the league in yards per play…..it’s NOT a bend-but-don’t-break defense. Where’s the bend?

Reactions: IowasLaw
The Hawks are riding high heading into the meat of their schedule, sitting at 4-0 and ranked in the Top 5 of most major polls. They're playing well, no doubt about it. How have they stacked up statistically compared to the rest of the Big 10?

Scoring Defense: A+. The Hawks lead the Big 10 in scoring defense, allowing just 11 points per game! They've allowed just 5 touchdowns through 4 games this season, and several of those were a result of the offense giving opponents a short field. It's safe to say that whatever Iowa's paying Parker, he's underpaid.

Rushing Offense: D-. Despite returning the reigning 1st team all-Big 10 running back in Goodson, perhaps the best center in college football, and boasting a well known "run first" offense, the Hawks rank just 12th in the Big 10 in rushing and 13th in yards per attempt at just 3.3. How is this ineptitude possible? Is the new OL coach that bad, is Brian's play calling that predictable, or did Goodson somehow regress? Either way, this has to be the most disappointing stat of the season thus far, based on expectations.

3rd Down Conversions: D. It's a little surprising how a 4-0 team and dark horse Playoff contender can rank 12th in their own conference in 3rd down conversions, converting just 35% of the time. By comparison, Ohio State and Michigan are up at 50%, and even lowly Nebraska converts 46% of the time. There are several possible explanations, but I think the problem is pretty obvious...Brian's incompetence at play calling on 1st down is leading to far too many 3rd and long situations. And far too often on 3rd and 7, Iowa either calls a draw play for no gain or a 3 yard out.

Sacks: A-. Despite a defense that "rarely blitzes," and losing some stud DL to the NFL draft, the Hawk rank 4th in sacks at 3.25 per game. Surprisingly, this week's opponent, Maryland, ranks first in sacks, which is the last thing happy feet Petras needs to hear going into the game. Look for a lot of extremely quick dump off passes this week and audibles to the run.

Sacks Allowed: D+. The combination of poor OL play and an immobile QB who easily panics has allowed "OL U" to rank 11th in sacks allowed, at 2.25. By comparison, Michigan has allowed just 1 sack all season. The OL is at full strength, health wise, which is more than most teams can say, so it's time for them to step up and block.

Punting: A+. Watching Taylor punt is a treat. He ranks just 5th, averaging 48 yards per punt, but with the help of Terry Roberts, he's got an uncanny ability to pin opponents back inside their own 10 yard line. Thus far, punting has been winning at Iowa. Let's hope moving forward the Hawks are less reliant on their punter being the team's MVP and more reliant upon a decent passing game.

Punt Returns: A-. Sure, other teams have better known punt returners, with Charlie Jones ranking 6th in average per return at 12 yrds per attempt, but the guy is a breath of fresh air back there, showing no fear and returning balls that a majority of previous Hawkeye punt returners would have fair caught or let bounce. In fact, one of the most pleasant stats out there is that Jones leads the Big 10 in punt return attempts, leaving the fair catching to the wusses.
Also, in regard to scoring defense, we gave up 2 of those TDs by playing extra soft prevent defense at the end of each half of the ISU game.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

These comments are not exactly to defend the offense, because it definitely has not done enough, but you say that the scoring stat is inflated because of defensive scores while still comparing offensive scoring to the rest of the league. That’s deflated to some extent. If the D gets a pick six or a scoop-and-score fumble, they take the ball from the other team, score and then give it back to the other team. The offense doesn’t get to take the field there. I’ll take that deal 99 times in 100, but you then have to account for the lost possessions when really evaluating the offense. On the whole, though, this offense has been far from great.

Another small nit to pick. If Iowa is 3rd in the conference in yards allowed and 3rd in rushing D and lead the league in yards per play…..it’s NOT a bend-but-don’t-break defense. Where’s the bend?
I think the grades are pretty close but you can’t give Punting an A+. That asserts it has been perfect. Last game, his one shank of the year put CSU in scoring position and led to a TD. Definitely an A or A- Grade but not A+.

I think the grades are pretty close but you can’t give Punting an A+. That asserts it has been perfect. Last game, his one shank of the year put CSU in scoring position and led to a TD. Definitely an A or A- Grade but not A+.
Personally, I’d also put the defense at a B+. Still very good mind you, but that 9/13 3rd down conversions in the first half contributed to offensive struggles. CSU out-Iowad Iowa in the first half. Limited mistakes, largely controlled field position, kept the ball.

Reactions: owenhawk
Brian stole his GF in college.... still not over it
Lol.

you do get that there’s a wide gap between incompetent and perfect right?

he has several calls per game that confound me, that 3rd down draw to pottebaum for example. But he also has several great calls as well, like that counter-pitch to Goodson vs Kent state, or the TD pass to LaPorta off the fake tunnel screen to name two.

Reactions: natchrlman
Lol.

you do get that there’s a wide gap between incompetent and perfect right?

he has several calls per game that confound me, that 3rd down draw to pottebaum for example. But he also has several great calls as well, like that counter-pitch to Goodson vs Kent state, or the TD pass to LaPorta off the fake tunnel screen to name two.
I was poking fun of the OP..... can see why you thought it was directed at you.... since I quoted you..... I agree 100% with your take..... mister iowa law has a well established disdain for Brian

Reactions: sober_teacher
Why do people think it's cool to bring politics to a sports forum? All it does is start a pissing contest which has NOTHING to do with sports. Good job WinOneThisCentury, you win the Dick award for the week. ;)
Honestly...I wasn't trying to inject politics...it was the analogy that popped into my head. It wasn't the focus of the post...and I didn't expect it to get that reaction and carry forward. The focus should be on what an idiot IowaLaw is, not Trump.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Honestly...I wasn't trying to inject politics...it was the analogy that popped into my head. It wasn't the focus of the post...and I didn't expect it to get that reaction and carry forward. The focus should be on what an idiot IowaLaw is, not Trump.
No problem, and I was joking about the Dick award, lord knows I have deserved it a time or two or 10 in my life. LOL

That was a joke. Don't be so simple as to swallow CNN,
Yes. Perfect. Every outrage and lie and incitement to violence from my guy is a joke or never happened, and everything the other guy does - who shouldn’t even be The Guy because my guy never loses or lies - is evil.

in such a world, discussion is impossible, grades don’t matter, facts don’t exist, science is irrelevant, and all that remains is confusion and division and rage and violence. By design. Divide and conquer.

Reactions: owenhawk
Personally, I’d also put the defense at a B+. Still very good mind you, but that 9/13 3rd down conversions in the first half contributed to offensive struggles. CSU out-Iowad Iowa in the first half. Limited mistakes, largely controlled field position, kept the ball.
Yeah, I’d give them an A- but pretty close to you. We might be nitpicking considering how great they have been :).

Reactions: sober_teacher
Petras has not had " happy feet " this year. Despite not getting enough protection he has as completed a acceptable % of his passes to three 6' tall receivers. I don't feel that he's locked on to his primary anymore. He has hung in the pocket long enough to throw down field. He's better and improving...

yes he does..his feet are happy because he bails out too soon and he also is really easy to bring down and
really, really slow. I didn't think Stanley was fleet footed, but he stood in the pocket, was harder to
brind down, and he was quicker/faster. Petras to the positive is more accurate than Stanley on
deep balls. Petras is an average QB for B1G, but with lack of run game, 3rd down is on his arm and he's not able
to make plays.

Also, in regard to scoring defense, we gave up 2 of those TDs by playing extra soft prevent defense at the end of each half of the ISU game.
Good point Monkey. The end of the Clowns game still was weird to me. Campbell gave up... hawks starting playing 2nd team guys... everyone thought the game was over...hell even Herby was blabbering about non-football stuff (which is what they do during a blowout)

And then here comes the Clowns making the score somewhat respectable. Almost converting an onside kick. Just weird ending

the-fonz-happy-days.gif

@hawkifann - I gave the Total Defense an A. There's not much better they can be. But the "bend" in their bend but don't break defense is on 3rd downs. They're 7th in the Big 10 in 3rd down conversions, allowing opponents to convert 35% of the time. Those can be killers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT