ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Illinois

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
The Hawks won ugly yet again, improving to 9-2. Is there another 9 win team in the country that makes their fans sweat it out every single week? Black Friday will be bigger than usual this year with the Hawks having a shot at a Big 10 west title.

1. Is Padilla the Guy NEXT Year? Most fans have been so fed up with 2 years of Petras that they will give ANY replacement the benefit of the doubt. Padilla is clearly an upgrade. He's mobile, he makes better decisions, and he doesn't have Petras' happy feet. But does Petras' ineffectiveness automatically mean Padilla is the guy next year? Padilla was just 6 of 18 for 83 yards and 1 interception against a pretty bad Illinois team. That is one of the worst QB stat lines in the past 20 years. He wasn't a whole lot better the previous week, going just 11 of 24. Granted, there have been quite a few drops all season, but if it weren't for Petras setting such a low bar, would anyone be happy with Padilla's performance? There are quite a few Power 5 QBs out there who complete 70% of their passes. Quite a few more average at least 9 yards per attempt. I hope Padilla is the guy for years to come, but I'd like to see an actual open competition during spring ball next year. As we know, that doesn't happen at Iowa. From what some are saying, Joey Labas may be the best QB on the roster and we may never find out.

2. Why Does Brian Still Have a Job? Whether it's the mystifying play calls, the vanilla offense, the awful 3rd down efficiency, or the inability to recognize your playmakers until the end of the season, the one non-subjective factor that Brian cannot avoid is statistics. The Hawks rank 124th out of 130 teams in total offense, ahead of juggernauts like UMass and New Mexico. The rushing offense, Iowa's bread and butter, behind an all-Big 10 back, ranks 113th. I don't care how Brian got his job, Barta is required to step in and have a serious personnel discussion with Kirk at the end of the season and make it clear that Brian's job performance is unacceptable and it's time for a change.

3. Goodson Back to Being Goodson. The most puzzling and inconsistent player on the roster has got to be Goodson. One week, he's afraid of contact and can't muster 60 yards rushing in a game. The next, he's reeling off 132 yards on 27 carries like a stud Big 10 back. While I'd still like to see Goodson used more as a receiving threat out of the backfield, he seemed to be in old form vs. Illinois. It's time for Iowa to throw out the stretch that result in a loss of 3 yards no matter what the RB does and start playing to the team's strengths.

4. Safety Recruiting Whiffs. Walk-on Jack Koerner has been a tremendous feel good story for the Hawks. He grew up wanting to be a Hawk, Phil Parker didn't offer him a scholarship, so he paid his own way to come to Iowa. 29 starts later, he's made himself a durable all-Big 10 caliber safety. After 3 years, he finally misses a game due to injury. Surely there's a stable of recruits on the bench ready to come in and replace him, right? Welp...sophomore walk-on Quinn Schulte was the next man in?? C'mon. When a team has 85 scholarship players and is known for putting defensive backs in the league, there's no excuse for the team relying on walk-on safeties at such an important position year in and year out.

5. Surprise: Another Horrible 2 Min Offense. Nearly every week the Hawks botch a series at the end of the half and this week was no different. Dane Belton intercepted a pass and ran it back to Illinois' 39 yard line with 1 min to play. The Hawks were up 17-13 in a very even game. What happens? Padilla throws the 1st down pass 10 rows into the bleachers. On 2nd down, run up the middle for no gain. Third down, and Padilla guns a 2 yard incomplete pass to Goodson that wouldn't have even come close to a first down anyway. Puzzling. Shudak then came in and missed a 58 yarder with 45 seconds to play. Wah wah. Another squandered opportunity. Is there a 2 minute offense guru out there that Kirk can pay $500k for a little insight into how to actually manage a clock and march down the field efficiently?

The Hawks won ugly yet again, improving to 9-2. Is there another 9 win team in the country that makes their fans sweat it out every single week? Black Friday will be bigger than usual this year with the Hawks having a shot at a Big 10 west title.

1. Is Padilla the Guy NEXT Year? Most fans have been so fed up with 2 years of Petras that they will give ANY replacement the benefit of the doubt. Padilla is clearly an upgrade. He's mobile, he makes better decisions, and he doesn't have Petras' happy feet. But does Petras' ineffectiveness automatically mean Padilla is the guy next year? Padilla was just 6 of 18 for 83 yards and 1 interception against a pretty bad Illinois team. That is one of the worst QB stat lines in the past 20 years. He wasn't a whole lot better the previous week, going just 11 of 24. Granted, there have been quite a few drops all season, but if it weren't for Petras setting such a low bar, would anyone be happy with Padilla's performance? There are quite a few Power 5 QBs out there who complete 70% of their passes. Quite a few more average at least 9 yards per attempt. I hope Padilla is the guy for years to come, but I'd like to see an actual open competition during spring ball next year. As we know, that doesn't happen at Iowa. From what some are saying, Joey Labas may be the best QB on the roster and we may never find out.

2. Why Does Brian Still Have a Job? Whether it's the mystifying play calls, the vanilla offense, the awful 3rd down efficiency, or the inability to recognize your playmakers until the end of the season, the one non-subjective factor that Brian cannot avoid is statistics. The Hawks rank 124th out of 130 teams in total offense, ahead of juggernauts like UMass and New Mexico. The rushing offense, Iowa's bread and butter, behind an all-Big 10 back, ranks 113th. I don't care how Brian got his job, Barta is required to step in and have a serious personnel discussion with Kirk at the end of the season and make it clear that Brian's job performance is unacceptable and it's time for a change.

3. Goodson Back to Being Goodson. The most puzzling and inconsistent player on the roster has got to be Goodson. One week, he's afraid of contact and can't muster 60 yards rushing in a game. The next, he's reeling off 132 yards on 27 carries like a stud Big 10 back. While I'd still like to see Goodson used more as a receiving threat out of the backfield, he seemed to be in old form vs. Illinois. It's time for Iowa to throw out the stretch that result in a loss of 3 yards no matter what the RB does and start playing to the team's strengths.

4. Safety Recruiting Whiffs. Walk-on Jack Koerner has been a tremendous feel good story for the Hawks. He grew up wanting to be a Hawk, Phil Parker didn't offer him a scholarship, so he paid his own way to come to Iowa. 29 starts later, he's made himself a durable all-Big 10 caliber safety. After 3 years, he finally misses a game due to injury. Surely there's a stable of recruits on the bench ready to come in and replace him, right? Welp...sophomore walk-on Quinn Schulte was the next man in?? C'mon. When a team has 85 scholarship players and is known for putting defensive backs in the league, there's no excuse for the team relying on walk-on safeties at such an important position year in and year out.

5. Surprise: Another Horrible 2 Min Offense. Nearly every week the Hawks botch a series at the end of the half and this week was no different. Dane Belton intercepted a pass and ran it back to Illinois' 39 yard line with 1 min to play. The Hawks were up 17-13 in a very even game. What happens? Padilla throws the 1st down pass 10 rows into the bleachers. On 2nd down, run up the middle for no gain. Third down, and Padilla guns a 2 yard incomplete pass to Goodson that wouldn't have even come close to a first down anyway. Puzzling. Shudak then came in and missed a 58 yarder with 45 seconds to play. Wah wah. Another squandered opportunity. Is there a 2 minute offense guru out there that Kirk can pay $500k for a little insight into how to actually manage a clock and march down the field efficiently?
I’m going to defend Padilla a little like I have Petras in the past. One, Iowa receivers dropped a lot of catchable balls yesterday. Two, as we’ve established many times before, Brian is a terrible play caller. His predictable patterns put Iowa in a lot of third and longs. With that said, Iowa needs to hit the JUCO ranks and transfer market and open up the competition at quarterback next spring. Surely, there’s another Brad Banks out there somewhere.

I agree with the rest of your assessment. I have a feeling there will be a lot of the usual suspects of homers putting you on blast this week. I think the tenor will change on Friday.

In terms of Padilla’s stat line, WR’s/TE’s had a lot of drops. What concerns me is he made 2-3 throws that could have been picked off. With the say KF coaches this team, that’s a death sentence in terms of winning a game. He’s a clear upgrade in terms of mobility and athleticism but I think it’s a push in terms of passing. This offense is still horrible under Padilla. To me, that falls on BF, our OL(which was improved today), WR’s/TE’s dropping passes and have having 2 average QB’s.

If Goodson catches that ball it is a touchdown. Illinois brought 7 on a blitz, there was no one in the middle of the field. Our receivers need to start concentrating. For a 9 and 2 team with 6 drops this is unacceptable.

I didn’t completely love the playcalling yesterday, but thought it was better than usual overall. I did think the passing game struggles yesterday had more to do with drops yesterday than the playcalls themselves. The drop by Goodson was caused by Colby missing a blitzer and Padilla having to throw it with a lot of zip.

If Goodson catches that ball it is a touchdown. Illinois brought 7 on a blitz, there was no one in the middle of the field. Our receivers need to start concentrating. For a 9 and 2 team with 6 drops this is unacceptable.

yeah, how could you blame Padilla on that throw? Free running blitzer it was either take a sack or get rid of the ball. Don't receivers have some responsibility to recognize the blitz and look back at QB? The INT that Padilla did throw, Keagan Johnson was being held, otherwise he could have competed for the ball.

Everyone agrees the pass protection/OL run blocking has been poor and you can't have a good offense with a terrible OL. That is on the KF/BF for recruiting/development. The offense is not going to be good when they have running plays getting blown up on regular basis. I do agree that BF seems to lack ability as play caller.....he forgets/abandons things and then overdoes other things. The lack of play action which used to be a staple of the offense is surprising. BF went to the jet sweep with Bruce about 3 times too many. That said, BF did have a couple really good calls that went against his tendencies. I'll give BF another year. I think the recruiting at skill positions is much improved under BF. Keagan and Arland Bruce are studs. Too bad Jones is graduating.

Reactions: IowasLaw
yeah, how could you blame Padilla on that throw? Free running blitzer it was either take a sack or get rid of the ball. Don't receivers have some responsibility to recognize the blitz and look back at QB? The INT that Padilla did throw, Keagan Johnson was being held, otherwise he could have competed for the ball.

Everyone agrees the pass protection/OL run blocking has been poor and you can't have a good offense with a terrible OL. That is on the KF/BF for recruiting/development. The offense is not going to be good when they have running plays getting blown up on regular basis. I do agree that BF seems to lack ability as play caller.....he forgets/abandons things and then overdoes other things. The lack of play action which used to be a staple of the offense is surprising. BF went to the jet sweep with Bruce about 3 times too many. That said, BF did have a couple really good calls that went against his tendencies. I'll give BF another year. I think the recruiting at skill positions is much improved under BF. Keagan and Arland Bruce are studs. Too bad Jones is graduating.
Padilla takes chances and I like that. You were right that keegan got held but on that play if we have a receiver running a post to take the safety out of this play it will work much better.

Great analysis again! I absolutely agree with #2. Brian deserves to be fired. How he still has a job is disgusting. There is no excuse for him to still be the OC. None!

Also agree with #4 and 5. Shameful.

No. 3 I’m not sure I fully agree. Goodson was much better yesterday but he still hesitates or stops way to often. We really need more of a bruiser rb. He is way to easy to tackle. Goodson looks and acts more like a slot receiver.

Ragaini 2 drops - both bad. Horrendous 2 weeks by Nico but he may have been targeted the most today and had 2nd most WR snaps outside of Keagan.
-Keagan 2 drops - one of which he was getting double teamed and a forced throw hard catch to make. Idk if I’d necessarily call it a drop.
-Lachey 1 drop - very bad hit him in hands, not easiest catch but you gotta make it on 3rd down.
-Laporta 1 drop 2 guys smashed him at once but he has in his hands for first down. First in completion of the game
Goodson 1 drop hit him in hands. Padilla getting smashed but not a great ball.

I think almost all of those came in the 2nd half aside from maybe Keagans first and maybe only, and Laportas.

Padilla started out the first 1.5 quarters 4/5 for 60 yards. At 7:40 left in the second quarter BF decided to run it three times in a row inside their 45 and take a 46 yard field goal to go up 17-10. From that point on Padilla was 2/12 for 23 yards and a pick.

I’m admittedly a Padilla homer a little… but his stat line was no indicative of how he played, he gave us a lot of chances to make plays and we simply didn’t. Also some god awful play calling was tossed in there.

Reactions: denmar81

Ragaini 2 drops - both bad. Horrendous 2 weeks by Nico but he may have been targeted the most today and had 2nd most WR snaps outside of Keagan.
-Keagan 2 drops - one of which he was getting double teamed and a forced throw hard catch to make. Idk if I’d necessarily call it a drop.
-Lachey 1 drop - very bad hit him in hands, not easiest catch but you gotta make it on 3rd down.
-Laporta 1 drop 2 guys smashed him at once but he has in his hands for first down. First in completion of the game
Goodson 1 drop hit him in hands. Padilla getting smashed but not a great ball.

I think almost all of those came in the 2nd half aside from maybe Keagans first and maybe only, and Laportas.

Padilla started out the first 1.5 quarters 4/5 for 60 yards. At 7:40 left in the second quarter BF decided to run it three times in a row inside their 45 and take a 46 yard field goal to go up 17-10. From that point on Padilla was 2/12 for 23 yards and a pick.

I’m admittedly a Padilla homer a little… but his stat line was no indicative of how he played, he gave us a lot of chances to make plays and we simply didn’t. Also some god awful play calling was tossed in there.
According to PFF Alex Padilla’s drop percentage, which is defined as “percentage of on-target passes dropped by the receiver” is 22%. That’s the highest of any QB in the FBS with over 50 attempts (Padilla has 84). Yesterday it was 40%. His adjusted completion % is 71.4%.

Yep. Thing is, Illinois' pressure did what it was supposed to do...Padilla hurried it a bit and the ball came out a little hot and early. Still would have been nice to see Goodson make the grab.

According to PFF Alex Padilla’s drop percentage, which is defined as “percentage of on-target passes dropped by the receiver” is 22%. That’s the highest of any QB in the FBS with over 50 attempts (Padilla has 84). Yesterday it was 40%. His adjusted completion % is 71.4%.
That’s an interesting stat. Thanks.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Uh, is it maybe because Schulte is better than we originally thought? What point are you trying to prove here?

Reactions: Lighting Hawk
You think there won’t be a qb competition? If nothing else would think the major takeaway this season is that we have a big question mark at the position going into the offseason .
Hogan will have as a good chance as the others to win the starting job. I'm not convinced he will become the starter but the opportunity will be there.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Iowalaw - no one including you mention that #5 2 minute offense attempt problem. We are at a 52 yard attempt distance and mess around and not call time out while we decide whether to punt or go FG. Clock runs out and we now decide to try a 58 goal. I believe the 53 hard attempt may have been good, as it was pretty close at 58. This just seems like a totally botched play and coaching.

Seriously. We could have Montana as our qb and bill Walsh calling the plays....doesn't matter if the receivers are flat-out dropping catchable -- and in some cases perfect -- throws
Tbf, Padilla does put some Nate Stanley heat on his throws.

That one late that he threw 106 mph on a 3 yd crossing route that almost got picked is a prime example.................just sayin.

I get a chuckle out of every one that complains about Iowa's "clock management" when referring to our poor play execution and play calling at the end of the 1st half and in key situations...............as if "clock management" is some all-encompassing term.

Always gets a chuckle out of me.

Reactions: HawkOn15
If he stays thru spring ball.
Barring stuff behind the scenes we don’t know about, no reason he’d leave before the end of spring ball if there’s a qb competition.

I do expect at least one transfers before next august however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT