ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Illinois

I'm almost looking forward to IowaLaw's post game review. I don't always agree, but I do enjoy and he/she clearly gives it some thought.
I think we should all makes threads with our own analysis. The problem is he thinks so highly of his own analysis that he feels it’s necessary to do this. His analysis is just his opinion, an opinion that can be easily shared in all the other threads that discuss these topics.

They cannot run between the tackles every play. That's the strength of the offense, what they do well. Has this team shown a reliable option elsewhere? This and many other threads today focus on two things: 1. poor throws and 2. dropped balls. How much better would the game plans have been if the drops aren't dropped or the quarterback throws a more catchable ball?

Fifty or more yards. 2 or 3 (or more) first downs. The opportunity to run another three plays, eat more time and get more trips to the red zone. All of those opportunities would certainly have made the game plan look a lot better.

What if the outside blockers executed their blocks?

Completely agree with everyone that thinks Hogan or Labas will get a good look next spring and summer. Those were each at least someone's 4* so it's not like they're unheard-of walk-ons. The coaches recruited them as starters so they must think both have starting potential.

I might be a little blinded by confirmation bias but viewing at least their HS recruiting videos I think Joey L is the best QB on the roster. He's got a strong arm, very accurate HS thrower and is the most natural runner, and by far the fastest. Let's hope there is a star just waiting for a chance.​

The Hawks won ugly yet again, improving to 9-2. Is there another 9 win team in the country that makes their fans sweat it out every single week? Black Friday will be bigger than usual this year with the Hawks having a shot at a Big 10 west title.

1. Is Padilla the Guy NEXT Year? Most fans have been so fed up with 2 years of Petras that they will give ANY replacement the benefit of the doubt. Padilla is clearly an upgrade. He's mobile, he makes better decisions, and he doesn't have Petras' happy feet. But does Petras' ineffectiveness automatically mean Padilla is the guy next year? Padilla was just 6 of 18 for 83 yards and 1 interception against a pretty bad Illinois team. That is one of the worst QB stat lines in the past 20 years. He wasn't a whole lot better the previous week, going just 11 of 24. Granted, there have been quite a few drops all season, but if it weren't for Petras setting such a low bar, would anyone be happy with Padilla's performance? There are quite a few Power 5 QBs out there who complete 70% of their passes. Quite a few more average at least 9 yards per attempt. I hope Padilla is the guy for years to come, but I'd like to see an actual open competition during spring ball next year. As we know, that doesn't happen at Iowa. From what some are saying, Joey Labas may be the best QB on the roster and we may never find out.

2. Why Does Brian Still Have a Job? Whether it's the mystifying play calls, the vanilla offense, the awful 3rd down efficiency, or the inability to recognize your playmakers until the end of the season, the one non-subjective factor that Brian cannot avoid is statistics. The Hawks rank 124th out of 130 teams in total offense, ahead of juggernauts like UMass and New Mexico. The rushing offense, Iowa's bread and butter, behind an all-Big 10 back, ranks 113th. I don't care how Brian got his job, Barta is required to step in and have a serious personnel discussion with Kirk at the end of the season and make it clear that Brian's job performance is unacceptable and it's time for a change.

3. Goodson Back to Being Goodson. The most puzzling and inconsistent player on the roster has got to be Goodson. One week, he's afraid of contact and can't muster 60 yards rushing in a game. The next, he's reeling off 132 yards on 27 carries like a stud Big 10 back. While I'd still like to see Goodson used more as a receiving threat out of the backfield, he seemed to be in old form vs. Illinois. It's time for Iowa to throw out the stretch that result in a loss of 3 yards no matter what the RB does and start playing to the team's strengths.

4. Safety Recruiting Whiffs. Walk-on Jack Koerner has been a tremendous feel good story for the Hawks. He grew up wanting to be a Hawk, Phil Parker didn't offer him a scholarship, so he paid his own way to come to Iowa. 29 starts later, he's made himself a durable all-Big 10 caliber safety. After 3 years, he finally misses a game due to injury. Surely there's a stable of recruits on the bench ready to come in and replace him, right? Welp...sophomore walk-on Quinn Schulte was the next man in?? C'mon. When a team has 85 scholarship players and is known for putting defensive backs in the league, there's no excuse for the team relying on walk-on safeties at such an important position year in and year out.

5. Surprise: Another Horrible 2 Min Offense. Nearly every week the Hawks botch a series at the end of the half and this week was no different. Dane Belton intercepted a pass and ran it back to Illinois' 39 yard line with 1 min to play. The Hawks were up 17-13 in a very even game. What happens? Padilla throws the 1st down pass 10 rows into the bleachers. On 2nd down, run up the middle for no gain. Third down, and Padilla guns a 2 yard incomplete pass to Goodson that wouldn't have even come close to a first down anyway. Puzzling. Shudak then came in and missed a 58 yarder with 45 seconds to play. Wah wah. Another squandered opportunity. Is there a 2 minute offense guru out there that Kirk can pay $500k for a little insight into how to actually manage a clock and march down the field efficiently?
4. Safety Recruiting Whiffs.

We don't recruit 4-5 star d-backs. Aren't most of the scholarship guys 3 star or maybe less? When you're limited to 22-25 scholarships per year and two or three go to d-backs, the 2-3 d-backs you have walk-on are not going to be much different from the guys you gave the scholarship to. By the time guys are practicing you're figuring who deserves playing time.

4. Safety Recruiting Whiffs.

We don't recruit 4-5 star d-backs. Aren't most of the scholarship guys 3 star or maybe less? When you're limited to 22-25 scholarships per year and two or three go to d-backs, the 2-3 d-backs you have walk-on are not going to be much different from the guys you gave the scholarship to. By the time guys are practicing you're figuring who deserves playing time.
Exactly. I'd love to see him name the last 4-star safety to play at Iowa that went to the NFL. Let alone 4 star. Exactly. Hooker is a 3 star, Sash low 3-star, same with Hankins. Gervase a walk on I think, Josh Jackson and Des I'm not even sure they were 3 stars, if they were they are super low. Micah Hyde same thing, low 3 star. Bob Sanders - 2 stars. IowasLaw is a troll, everything he says is complete straw man arguments that fall to pieces when you start digging in... You are spot-on @Titanhawk2. If they go to the NFL, Dejean who was recruited as a DB will be the highest currently, and X will be the highest by a long shot to ever be put in the NFL.

airing-of-grievances.jpg

Reactions: drew_hawk
From what some are saying, Joey Labas may be the best QB on the roster and we may never find out.

Who are these some?

Welp...sophomore walk-on Quinn Schulte was the next man in??

Do you think he performed poorly?
Maybe he's the next Koerner?

I think we should all makes threads with our own analysis. The problem is he thinks so highly of his own analysis that he feels it’s necessary to do this. His analysis is just his opinion, an opinion that can be easily shared in all the other threads that discuss these topics.
He's a troll and a very good one at that.

From what some are saying, Joey Labas may be the best QB on the roster and we may never find out.

Who are these some?

Welp...sophomore walk-on Quinn Schulte was the next man in??

Do you think he performed poorly?
Maybe he's the next Koerner?
Yeah, I don’t totally get the knock on Schulte. Parker has done quite well with finding diamonds in the rough in the secondary, with several getting NFL opportunities to boot. Admittedly, by now it’s surprising we’re not getting for 4/5 star DB recruits based on iowas track record of developing nfl talent back there, but I also respect that Iowa sticks with a winning formula for how it recruits.

I’m going to defend Padilla a little like I have Petras in the past. One, Iowa receivers dropped a lot of catchable balls yesterday. Two, as we’ve established many times before, Brian is a terrible play caller. His predictable patterns put Iowa in a lot of third and longs. With that said, Iowa needs to hit the JUCO ranks and transfer market and open up the competition at quarterback next spring. Surely, there’s another Brad Banks out there somewhere.

I agree with the rest of your assessment. I have a feeling there will be a lot of the usual suspects of homers putting you on blast this week. I think the tenor will change on Friday.
While I agree with this totally, I have a feeling the Iowa coaching staff does not. I think they see the transfer portal and NIL as a negative where most teams see it as a positive. I think they value "their guys" at that spot more so than they do talent.

While I agree with this totally, I have a feeling the Iowa coaching staff does not. I think they see the transfer portal and NIL as a negative where most teams see it as a positive. I think they value "their guys" at that spot more so than they do talent.
I agree with you. And that’s part of the problem.

I get a chuckle out of every one that complains about Iowa's "clock management" when referring to our poor play execution and play calling at the end of the 1st half and in key situations...............as if "clock management" is some all-encompassing term.

Always gets a chuckle out of me.
Still waiting on people to clarify their take on Iowa's "clock management" issues.............

Reactions: HawkOn15
Disagree in part. Iowa has been more than willing to take transfers in the past, but usually when it’s been at a position of need. Van Valkenberg was a transfer, Heflin last year. Lost in the shuffle at CB but a transfer is Xavior Williams to name 3. Sergeant of course at RB. couple of punters/kickers the last few years, etc. we might like to see more some years, but at the same time, how many times do you see transfer qbs come in when there are going to be 4 or 5 scholarship guys on the roster already?

no way barta "has a talk with" ferentz after this season about brian. Kirk has a bag made out of barta's scrotum skin afterall.

In terms of Padilla’s stat line, WR’s/TE’s had a lot of drops. What concerns me is he made 2-3 throws that could have been picked off. With the say KF coaches this team, that’s a death sentence in terms of winning a game. He’s a clear upgrade in terms of mobility and athleticism but I think it’s a push in terms of passing. This offense is still horrible under Padilla. To me, that falls on BF, our OL(which was improved today), WR’s/TE’s dropping passes and have having 2 average QB’s.
@mlb1399 - Agreed. While Padilla (and Petras) had to deal with drops, so did Illinois' QB and Minnesota's QB before him. That's part of the game. Padilla was also the beneficiary of the defense dropping a couple of his errant passes, so the stats are a wash. I do have to wonder, what is the point of a high paid WRs coach if we're 4 months into the season and his receivers still can't catch?

@HawkLogic - Unfortunately, it's incorrect to say that recruiting skill positions "under Brian is much improved." As a position coach, Brian was one of the worst recruiters on the staff. Since being promoted to OC, his dad enabled him to be on the road less than anyone else on the staff, so he hasn't been the lead recruiter for many players in years.

@kcgolfer - There's no doubt Goodson dances too much, but the majority of the time it's because a defender has blown through the the weak offensive line before he could even take the handoff and there's nowhere for him to go so he tries (and fails) to make something out of nothing. Give the guy a crease like Wisconsin or Michigan State create and he's not dancing.

@Mohawk37 ; @HawkeyeInCentralIowa - You don't see a problem with a Big 10 program relying upon sophomore walk ons at a position of strength? With 85 available scholarships for just 22 positions, it shows a serious flaw both in recruiting and development. Take a look at all the DBs Iowa recruited over the past 4 years who are no longer with the team (beginning with should-be seniors Trey Creamer, Josh Turner, Camron Harrell). Attrition is why walk ons are playing, not because Schulte is a super star who passed up a bunch of upper classmen. It's a loser's mentality to think Iowa can't find a single safety with scholarship offers who might want to play with the Hawks so we should be happy walk ons are playing.

@sober_teacher - You haven't been paying attention if you truly believe Iowa is strategic in recruiting the transfer portal for "positions of need." Unlike the rest of the Big 10, Iowa has no discernable transfer strategy. If they did, they would have pulled a QB last year, and some OL/DL this year. Instead, the only transfer they brought in this year plays the deepest position on the roster, cornerback, and is 5th string. That's "targeting position of need?" What position on the entire roster needed a grad transfer less than CB? Similarly, Sargent and VanValkenberg came in as backups, not to start, and Jones wasn't even recruited by the staff. Most schools ARE strategic. They bring in transfers they can plug into the starting lineup immediately at positions of need. Iowa does not subscribe to that methodology.

Last edited:
@mlb1399 - Agreed. While Padilla (and Petras) had to deal with drops, so did Illinois' QB and Minnesota's QB before him. That's part of the game. Padilla was also the beneficiary of the defense dropping a couple of his errant passes, so the stats are a wash. I do have to wonder, what is the point of a high paid WRs coach if we're 4 months into the season and his receivers still can't catch?

@HawkLogic - Unfortunately, it's incorrect to say that recruiting skill positions "under Brian is much improved." As a position coach, Brian was one of the worst recruiters on the staff. Since being promoted to OC, his dad enabled him to be on the road less than anyone else on the staff, so he hasn't been the lead recruiter for many players in years. As for an uptick in skill position recruiting in general, the last time Iowa had a 4 star QB commit was 2014, Tyler Wiegers. The 2022 QB commit had just one other scholarship offer and that was Western Michigan. They did appear to get a solid RB commit for next year, but last year they completely struck out at the position and made a last minute fall back offer to a 2 star RB from DM North when they couldn't get anyone else.

@kcgolfer - There's no doubt Goodson dances too much, but the majority of the time it's because a defender has blown through the the weak offensive line before he could even take the handoff and there's nowhere for him to go so he tries (and fails) to make something out of nothing. Give the guy a crease like Wisconsin or Michigan State create and he's not dancing.

@Mohawk37 ; @HawkeyeInCentralIowa - You don't see a problem with a Big 10 program relying upon sophomore walk ons at a position of strength? With 85 available scholarships for just 22 positions, it shows a serious flaw both in recruiting and development. Take a look at all the DBs Iowa recruited over the past 4 years who are no longer with the team (beginning with should-be seniors Trey Creamer, Josh Turner, Camron Harrell). Attrition is why walk ons are playing, not because Schulte is a super star who passed up a bunch of upper classmen. It's a loser's mentality to think Iowa can't find a single safety with scholarship offers who might want to play with the Hawks so we should be happy walk ons are playing.

@sober_teacher - You haven't been paying attention if you truly believe Iowa is strategic in recruiting the transfer portal for "positions of need." Unlike the rest of the Big 10, Iowa has no discernable transfer strategy. If they did, they would have pulled a QB last year, and some OL/DL this year. Instead, the only transfer they brought in this year plays the deepest position on the roster, cornerback, and is 5th string. That's "targeting position of need?" What position on the entire roster needed a grad transfer less than CB? Similarly, Sargent and VanValkenberg came in as backups, not to start, and Jones wasn't even recruited by the staff. Most schools ARE strategic. They bring in transfers they can plug into the starting lineup immediately at positions of need. Iowa does not subscribe to that methodology.
You do know Petras and Deuce were 4* QBs right? Are you aware the DBs you listed Harrell, Creamer, and Turner none of them were safeties? Iowa also has some highly ranked safeties in Schulte’s class and beyond like Castro and Craddieth and he’s out played both. Looks like you were wrong per usual.

How does it show a flaw in development? Because someone else just developed better? Schulte is a quality player, and I have no clue why you'd question Phil and his approach to defensive backs. And Schulte has played well when given a chance, so you sound silly being upset with it. Can you tell me any other safeties on the roster you want playing over Schulte?

And lol at you saying I have a losers mentality when you're scared for Iowa to go play in Indy.

How does it show a flaw in development? Because someone else just developed better? Schulte is a quality player, and I have no clue why you'd question Phil and his approach to defensive backs. And Schulte has played well when given a chance, so you sound silly being upset with it. Can you tell me any other safeties on the roster you want playing over Schulte?

And lol at you saying I have a losers mentality when you're scared for Iowa to go play in Indy.
That right there discredits anything else he has to say......lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT