ADVERTISEMENT

Iowans are sharply divided on banning transgender girls from female sports, Iowa Poll finds

No, I agree 100% with that statement and that is the position I hold as well.

I just do not believe it is a problem in need of legislative solution. The fact it is a culture war wedge issue is, to me, quite stupid.

In other words, yeah, it's not "fair" a handful of former dudes are competing now as trans women, because in all likelihood, they have a small advantage. Why can't I hold that position while also thinking it's asinine to waste time drafting legislation to "fix" it?

Okay, then, we are in general agreement and merely emphasizing different points.

Reactions: torbee
My other question for those who insist a legislative remedy is needed is this: are there not already organizations - IHSAA and NCAA come to mind - that are expressly tasked with ensuring fair and equitable competition? And aren’t those organizations infinitely closer and more informed about the sports and athletes they oversee?

Are we really to believe that members of the Iowa Legislature are better equipped to set the rules for competition and fairness than the actual on-the-ground organizations that exist to make those rules and are involved with sports on a day-to-day basis? Frankly, that assertion seems ludicrous.
Ordinarily I would agree with you that the place for this to be reviewed would be the NCAA and IHSAA and not the state legislature. However, we all know that the current PC culture makes ANY attempt at real review and fairness impossible at said organizations. For crying out loud the Ivy League won't even stop Lea at the expense of all other female swimmers, in Florida a new law passed stating that a school can't go around the parents to try court or influence a child in grades K-3 regarding trans identification without the parents permission and the left calls it a "don't say gay law". All honestly has been abandoned.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
"Everybody needs physical activity, so why should those children be excluded from that?"

This is great and highlights how non-sports people don't understand competitive sports. Nobody is keeping them from PE class or going for a run or playing a pickup game at the Y. Its about competitive sports and the perceived competitive advantage.
Yup.

These are the kind of people that think its neat that the Kansas City Dolphins have a hockey team.

No, I agree 100% with that statement and that is the position I hold as well.

I just do not believe it is a problem in need of legislative solution. The fact it is a culture war wedge issue is, to me, quite stupid.

In other words, yeah, it's not "fair" a handful of former dudes are competing now as trans women, because in all likelihood, they have a small advantage. Why can't I hold that position while also thinking it's asinine to waste time drafting legislation to "fix" it?
Because it is a problem that is presenting itself on the national stage and while it surprises me you aren't all in with your contemporaries you surely understand the gaslighting that is going on around this issue. Women on the Penn roster are being threatened directly by the very people that you think should manage this situation. They are being threatened with being kicked off their team, by being outed as transphobic to the mob, by being potentially kicked out of Penn, and by having their future job prospects sunk. That is the what they have been told directly by the people in charge within Penn and the NCAA and governing body for the Ivy League agrees with that stance through word and deed.

It is disgusting how those young women are being treated and those that care are doing something about it. Those administrators believe they answer only to themselves and they are finding out that isn't true

Just like the NCAA making billions off student athletes and pretending they are representing those kids best interests. They weren't and anyone could see that. It took legislation to correct that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: abby97
Todays teenagers are very socially conscious and politically active. A small percentage may just be liking to get out of class, but you'd be surprised how engaged they are politically/socially these days. Social media having a great impact on that.
Which I don’t understand at all. When I was a kid I couldn’t care less about political and social issues. I was to busy running around town having fun with my life. Can’t imagine how messed up some of these kids are going to be later in life when they are already tied up in all the crap in this world at such a young age.
for the record I went to a tiny white catholic “racist/sexist” school and we had a few people we knew liked the same sex and it did matter to any of us kids one bit.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Ordinarily I would agree with you that the place for this to be reviewed would be the NCAA and IHSAA and not the state legislature. However, we all know that the current PC culture makes ANY attempt at real review and fairness impossible at said organizations. For crying out loud the Ivy League won't even stop Lea at the expense of all other female swimmers, in Florida a new law passed stating that a school can't go around the parents to try court or influence a child in grades K-3 regarding trans identification without the parents permission and the left calls it a "don't say gay law". All honestly has been abandoned.
So you want government to intervene and mandate its rules. Got it.

Reactions: Tom Paris
So you want government to intervene and mandate its rules. Got it.
Maybe if you read my entire post and my explanation as to why the usual avenues for resolution are completely bias, you wouldn't disagree with me.

Read TxfCHawk's post above as well, he hit the nail on the head.

No because they know biological boys will destroy transgender boys in sports just like transgender girls do to biological girls for the overwhelmingly.
oreally.jpg

I tend to agree that transgender girls may have certain biological advantages just due to the anatomy and physiology of their original gender/sex. So perhaps transgender kids can compete against one another, but it seems like it's so rare anyway, I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about the whole issue?

The majority in our state's legislature are a bunch of small minded, vindictive, sanctimonious hypocrites that really don't know how to legislate, they just know how to divide the electorate to their advantage using their religious convictions as a sledgehammer. Most think they are saved by the blood of the savior but they'll likely burn in hell for eternity if God actually does exist and is as vengeful as they believe he/she is.

Reactions: torbee
Maybe if you read my entire post and my explanation as to why the usual avenues for resolution are completely bias, you wouldn't disagree with me.

Read TxfCHawk's post above as well, he hit the nail on the head.
I did read it, which is why I replied the way I did. You are unhappy with how the people tasked with governing the sport are choosing to govern it so you want politicians to intervene.

Just lean into it.

Really? How well has the NCAA represented student athlete interests and what needed to be done about that by people in the legislative branch?

Those organizations are not who govern our society
They make the rules for NCAA athletics. You really want government to intrude into a private business? Not very conservative.

oreally.jpg

I tend to agree that transgender girls may have certain biological advantages just due to the anatomy and physiology of their original gender/sex. So perhaps transgender kids can compete against one another, but it seems like it's so rare anyway, I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about the whole issue?

The majority in our state's legislature are a bunch of small minded, vindictive, sanctimonious hypocrites that really don't know how to legislate, they just know how to divide the electorate to their advantage using their religious convictions as a sledgehammer. Most think they are saved by the blood of the savior but they'll likely burn in hell for eternity if God actually does exist and is as vengeful as they believe he/she is.
I mean that's one example. A team of 15 year old boys from the Dallas area beat the US Women's National Soccer team. Do you think we should get rid of gender based sports and make them all compete together because one girl won a state championship? I'd take males over females in a vast majority of the competitions.

I mean that's one example. A team of 15 year old boys from the Dallas area beat the US Women's National Soccer team. Do you think we should get rid of gender based sports and make them all compete together because one girl won a state championship? I'd take males over females in a vast majority of the competitions.
Obviously not, you would know that if you had read my post. I'll let the governing boards of the various sports associations deal with the issue as they should, it's pure BS and partisan politics that state legislatures are even considering these dumb laws. They should be dealing with actual issues instead of "but what ifs".

Obviously not, you would know that if you had read my post. I'll let the governing boards of the various sports associations deal with the issue as they should, it's pure BS and partisan politics that state legislatures are even considering these dumb laws. They should be dealing with actual issues instead of "but what ifs".
So if say the Iowa High Schooll Athletic Association or NCAA came out and said transgender women will not compete against bilogical women you would support them because the governing body made the call?

Are there any politics at this time that aren't partisan? People call it partisan politics when it isn't something the party they like supporting it.

So if say the Iowa High Schooll Athletic Association or NCAA came out and said transgender women will not compete against bilogical women you would support them because the governing body made the call?

Are there any politics at this time that aren't partisan? People call it partisan politics when it isn't something the party they like supporting it.
Yes, clearly I would. I would feel the same way about this half-baked legislation if it was a Democratic majority legislature bringing it forward.

Reactions: SiouxCityHawkFan

I think it is a smarter route. I would hate to see our state punished for this legislation. Loss of revenue from athletic events.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I think it is a smarter route. I would hate to see our state punished for this legislation. Loss of revenue from athletic events.
There have been some indications that Iowa will quite likely lose future opportunities for hosting NCAA tournaments as a result of this legislation. Iowa's wrestling fans may lose their damned minds if that's eventually decided.

Reactions: globalhawk
Not one person acknowledging the situation a trans girl who wants to play volleyball with her friends will be in next fall when she's told she can't. Imagine being already picked on and now here's the governor saying "sorry, you're weird, you can't play".

Reactions: gohawks50
Not one person acknowledging the situation a trans girl who wants to play volleyball with her friends will be in next fall when she's told she can't. Imagine being already picked on and now here's the governor saying "sorry, you're weird, you can't play".
And five regular guys will not be able to say “we want to play high school volleyball” and absolutely dominate and make a mockery of it.

if the top five female track runners or swimmers transitioned to women they wouldn’t sniff the boys state meets.

if the top five male track runners or swimmers transitioned to women they would absolutely destroy everybody at the state meet.

Last edited:
What's really funny is the major factor in youth competitive sports is age. Someone who starts kindergarten a few months after turning six will always be at an advantage over someone who just turned five. No regulation there I guess cuz it's not icky.

What's really funny is the major factor in youth competitive sports is age. Someone who starts kindergarten a few months after turning six will always be at an advantage over someone who just turned five. No regulation there I guess cuz it's not icky.
If they suck at sports they could play high school until they were 25 and it wouldn’t matter.

puberty, natural talent, and work ethic are the biggest factors.

Yes if can afford to hold your kid back a year you're only helping them succeed in all aspects of school.
If all people are concerned about is fairness wealth is another factor that influences athletic success. Parents that can afford to have their kids play in club sports also give their child a leg up. Another thing that doesn't seem to be addressed in this ban is what about transgender males can they compete in girls sports even after beginning hormone treatment? This bill seems to be all about the penis!

Not at all. Age in your grade (and compared to your competition) is a major factor in your success in school athletics.

It is. And people correctly bitch about parents who hold their kids back for athletic advantage.

However, if there were no sports set aside for girls, then sex would become absolutely the biggest determination of success, with age a distant second.

It is. And people correctly bitch about parents who hold their kids back for athletic advantage.

However, if there were no sports set aside for girls, then sex would become absolutely the biggest determination of success, with age a distant second.
I don't agree with the pearl clutching. This is an issue because some find trans people icky.

I don't agree with the pearl clutching. This is an issue because some find trans people icky.

Their motives are clearly disingenuous. But it's not wrong that boys who transition to girls should not be competing against girls. And they should not get small business loans intended for women, should not count as a girl for Title IX considerations, etc.

In short, they should not be discriminated against for jobs, etc. We should accept them and use their preferred name and pronoun. But they should not be afforded special protections that are reserved for girls/women.

I think sports should just have one team. Open to all. Men pretending to be women should have to cut off their member to compete. How many have did that? Bruce hasn't did it. Why is that?

That male swimmer winning all the events is a good example. The liberals can't can't condemn him. It is hilarious.

Hopefully a lot of males will pretend to be female. That will end the BS.

I wish political polls would include the following as a standard question - "Do you feel this legislation was a necessary priority and focus of your legislature's time?"

Instead the question is if you favor or oppose the legislation, as though this was a priority for Iowans. I can't imagine this "issue" was on many people's radars before Iowa's political "leaders" chose to make this a priority.

My view, Iowa has real issues that require real solutions with greater urgency than this. Instead, the real issues are avoided with highly divisive legislation that has very little applicability and only distract voters from what the real issues are. Solve water quality, solve rural/urban migration, solve education quality, etc.

Those that jump into this debate about trans athletes are being played. You amplify the legislation as though it had merit and was worth legislative priority.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT