ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's PR department

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
I am not sure who would win the gold medal in the Incompetence Olympics between Kirk, Brian, and the PR department. For having such a vaunted school of journalism, one would think there would be someone capable of writing some scripts for KF and BF that don't smack of arrogance and omit any shred of accountability. Putting KF and BF in front of a microphone is like listening to a politician convey their empathy for the folks being crushed by inflation after returning from a vacation via private jet on an island paradise paid for with our tax dollars.

Kirk acts like any expectation is beyond unrealistic and gets triggered by questions that require a response based in reality. Brian acts like he should receive a raise for trying really hard to improve. Combined these two clowns sound more pathetic than the offense looks. Words aren't going to complete a pass or block anyone but they do matter and the lack of situational awareness by all parties involved in this crap show is hard to fathom.

Is it really that difficult to say 'Based on how we have performed thus far, we are going to get Padilla and/or Laybas ready in the by week with some scripted plays to see if we can affect some change and give the defense some new looks'. Instead we hear more drivel about how we don't have any other options at QB because the offense is so complicated. We must be a pretty freaking smart fanbase since most of us call 70% of the plays with a high degree of accuracy from our living rooms. I will admit that I did not see the fake knee coming against Michigan. That was truly next level.

The Labas isn’t close stuff is coach BS. How would they even know, dude has t taken a game day snap. At some point you have to take risks with younger players hoping they surprise you. KF is so risk intolerant, it’s truly a fatal flaw of his.

I am not sure who would win the gold medal in the Incompetence Olympics between Kirk, Brian, and the PR department. For having such a vaunted school of journalism, one would think there would be someone capable of writing some scripts for KF and BF that don't smack of arrogance and omit any shred of accountability. Putting KF and BF in front of a microphone is like listening to a politician convey their empathy for the folks being crushed by inflation after returning from a vacation via private jet on an island paradise paid for with our tax dollars.

Kirk acts like any expectation is beyond unrealistic and gets triggered by questions that require a response based in reality. Brian acts like he should receive a raise for trying really hard to improve. Combined these two clowns sound more pathetic than the offense looks. Words aren't going to complete a pass or block anyone but they do matter and the lack of situational awareness by all parties involved in this crap show is hard to fathom.

Is it really that difficult to say 'Based on how we have performed thus far, we are going to get Padilla and/or Laybas ready in the by week with some scripted plays to see if we can affect some change and give the defense some new looks'. Instead we hear more drivel about how we don't have any other options at QB because the offense is so complicated. We must be a pretty freaking smart fanbase since most of us call 70% of the plays with a high degree of accuracy from our living rooms. I will admit that I did not see the fake knee coming against Michigan. That was truly next level.
The last week have not been KF and BF's best moments in front of the press. KF was quite reflective after the 2014 season, actually hired an outside consultant to coach him on how he responded to media questions and how he could do better there. He was pretty open that in watching himself from the 2014 season he didn't like what he saw. I thought his postgame PC after Illinois was shades of 2014. Responding to a legitimate but tough question with "we won 10 games last year." What's implied is that I know more than you, how dare you question what I'm doing. It's not a good look.

BF generally handles himself very well in the media. This Wednesday was not one of those times. I would argue that it was only due to his adept handling in front of the media that the offseason pieces from the Iowa media were not very harsh, despite the numbers saying the Iowa offense in 2021 was horrific. BF did long sit downs with Leistikow, Dochterman, and others. These people are human, and BF giving them multiple hours and explaining things in detail makes one inclined to be somewhat sympathetic.

The OC may very well be knowledgeable and I'm 100% sure he knows way more football than me or really anyone on here. But there is enough evidence over the past 5 years that the OC does not effectively coach and communicate the offensive scheme in a way that results in success. That includes everything with an offense, recruiting, development, scheme, play-calling/game-planning. At some point, it's not enough that the person in charge know/articulate what's wrong, you have to actually show a record of improving the results. Most people in their jobs face this to some extent.

To what can be done right now, this season? Really not much. I know that people want a new QB. The coaches see these guys every day. If the current QB is the best of the bunch, then that is an indictment of the staff as they don't have someone better. That's not a great answer, but it's probably the right one. I look at other positions on the team and the staff appears to not be idiots. Guys like Van Ness, Campbell, Moss, LaPorta, Arland Bruce, Kaleb Johnson, Cooper DeJean all got on the field very early early in their careers, and there are many others. So I'm not of the belief that at all these other positions they know who the best player is, but at QB they don't. So the conclusion is that both the QB recruiting/development, and the overall offensive structure is flawed. That's how you get a terrible offense.

Think about the university of Iowa AD for a minute. The best PR they have done is naming the field "Duke slater field" with little fanfare. Our "greatest tradition in sports" was started by a lady on Facebook and the AD even muffed that one with that stupid wave on wave song. Our AD is actively trying NOT to be cutting edge. NIL at Iowa is a JOKE and we don't embrace any excitement. Que up the 50 year old song (I love acdc fwiw) and shoot burritos at people, that's the fanfare.

Think about the university of Iowa AD for a minute. The best PR they have done is naming the field "Duke slater field" with little fanfare. Our "greatest tradition in sports" was started by a lady on Facebook and the AD even muffed that one with that stupid wave on wave song. Our AD is actively trying NOT to be cutting edge. NIL at Iowa is a JOKE and we don't embrace any excitement. Que up the 50 year old song (I love acdc fwiw) and shoot burritos at people, that's the fanfare.
Take the bull by the horns and you drive NIL at Iowa. That's the beauty, anyone can do it. Be the change.

Reactions: cecilB
Take the bull by the horns and you drive NIL at Iowa. That's the beauty, anyone can do it. Be the change.
I've been offering recruits on Twitter a no strings attached night with your wife for months and still haven't landed one yet...

9142a573-e2b0-4ddd-a50e-45bcbd518af0_text.gif

My only issue with this post is NIL really has nothing to do with the athletic department. Or at least it shouldn't based on my limited understanding.

My only issue with this post is NIL really has nothing to do with the athletic department. Or at least it shouldn't based on my limited understanding.
This is sort of like saying that Barta if BF's boss. Technically yes, but in reality no.

The Labas isn’t close stuff is coach BS. How would they even know, dude has t taken a game day snap. At some point you have to take risks with younger players hoping they surprise you. KF is so risk intolerant, it’s truly a fatal flaw of his.
I heard he got all confused and started throwing the ball to wide receivers in practice. Brian and Kirk just shook their heads in disbelief.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT