ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's WRs had only 76 Receptions, 796 yds & 2 TDs Last Season. 17 guys are Vying for 4-5 Spots

I don't know about Brown ... he's not a very proven commodity. Certainly, I expect him to contribute though.

If healthy, I expect Anderson to be more of a contributor.

I think that Ragaini, Vines, Anderson, and Brown will all be getting opportunities. The question is who will seize their opportunities?

Also, we have 2 high-level TEs who will be demanding a lot of attention from opposing Ds.

Kaleb Johnson's running will force safeties down in the box (like they always seem to be against Iowa).

Is this the year ... will the WRs and QB make them pay?
Completely agree on TE's - but I was referring strictly to the WR's. Kaleb Brown is either the best or #2 WR on paper that Iowa has ever had coming out of HS, not sure if ISM was even close to him.

I hope BF proves that he is a competent OC when he has talent, maybe that will force KF to also spend energy on recruiting the O side of the ball.

Last edited:
No offense, and I get being a homer to an extent, but there isn’t a single DC losing any sleep whatsoever over a combination of Wick, Ragaini, and Vines at WR.

I’m not saying those three suck, but it’s time to come back to Earth a bit.

I think Vines has a chance to be special and although Ragaini isn’t a game breaker, he can find openings. If he catches all his throws, I’m happy to have him.

My guess on Wick is, he consistently gives the same everyday. Not surprising they single that out. It doesn’t mean he is #1 or even #4!

As an extreme aside and no I’m not beating my own drum….I’m a fairly talented guy, I know how to talk to people, interact, work, gain trust, empathize and earn business….

With that said, I’m high strung, anxious, prone to distraction and anything but consistent. It’s a lifelong struggle and something I work diligently at…..LOL somedays…😜

Coach Copeland would never call me consistent, but I am most definitely counted on! Get what I’m saying!

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
1. Cringe
2. How about switching to a Spread offense so higher end WRs would actually WANT to come here?

Actually, Terry Bradshaw threw to 2 all-stars, one named Lynn Swann, from an I formation with a fullback. And Bill Walsh's west coast offense had Montana and Young throwing to Rice and Taylor, all stars and at least one hall of famer probably like Swan.

What was the difference in those two teams and the last two Iowa team? It is as simple as a great offensive line and an at the least a very good, to great running game (Franco and Roger Craig), plus great play calling coordinators.

So when Iowa has the very good at least offensive line and a very good to great running game (and they have had both of those numerous times) then the deep post patterns and fly patterns open up and we have Mo Brown, CJ JOnes, Douglas, DJK, McNutt etc catching long passes and wide open passes for big yards. So WRs could come here

And maybe if Kirk wouldnt take his foot off the gas sometimes late in games with a decent lead and he would stretch the field then maybe more talented WRS would come her.

So you’re blaming him for the talent that was on the field last year? Do you think any WR coach in the country could have had success with the QB and WR talent we had out there?

I think it was a failure on every level. Coaches failed at retaining/recruiting enough receivers; injuries crushed what little depth we had; poor play at times; bad qb play, etc.

No one is free of responsibility for the debacle that was last years offense.

Completely agree on TE's - but I was referring strictly to the WR's. Kaleb Brown is either the best or #2 WR on paper that Iowa has ever had coming out of HS, not sure if ISM was even close to him.

I hope BF proves that he is a competent OC when he has talent, maybe that will force KF to also spend energy on recruiting the O side of the ball.
“On paper” are the key words. We’ll so what the reality is.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
I believe he had offers from Drake and St. Thomas... I really don't see him starting at most any D1AA school.

I didn’t say that brother! I’m not singing his kudos, but let’s be honest. A Nick Easley or even Riley McCarron would have been an upgrade last year. I think it’s possible he could grow into that kind of talent, 🤷‍♂️

My hope is Vines and Ragaini stay healthy and Anderson and/or Brown both, are ready to rock ‘n’ roll!!

Sounds like a coach\recuiter problem, not a player problem.

Yes, but maybe not for last year….Something was clearly amiss with Johnson ( health or not bought in) , Bruce whether dirty or not was clearly not fully engaged. You can’t be if you’re gambling on the sport you’re playing every Saturday.

Rags hurt, Brecht hurt, Vines hurt….

honestly, all this backstory news should only increase your excitement for this year not decrease it.

So you’re blaming him for the talent that was on the field last year? Do you think any WR coach in the country could have had success with the QB and WR talent we had out there?
So if I understand this poster correctly, Brian F. is one of, if not the greatest offensive coordinators in the country, but Copeland needs to put up or shut up this year. This makes about as much sense as Karnack attacking other posters for criticizing the Iowa staff while personally attacking Heller. F5n5 HAS to be Brian or a family member. There is no other rational explanation for his positions.

So if I understand this poster correctly, Brian F. is one of, if not the greatest offensive coordinators in the country, but Copeland needs to put up or shut up this year. This makes about as much sense as Karnack attacking other posters for criticizing the Iowa staff while personally attacking Heller. F5n5 HAS to be Brian or a family member. There is no other rational explanation for his positions.

Well, for what it’s worth, and I think you and I generally get along pretty well. We’re not the same, but I think we can usually find common ground… And I say that because I don’t know that you’ll agree with this, but at the very least F5N5 is a very pleasant positive poster…

No, I don’t agree with his general assessment of our offensive efforts but it’s hard for me to be critical of a guy that’s generally pretty kind!

Call it in my life mantra!

Well, for what it’s worth, and I think you and I generally get along pretty well. We’re not the same, but I think we can usually find common ground… And I say that because I don’t know that you’ll agree with this, but at the very least F5N5 is a very pleasant positive poster…

No, I don’t agree with his general assessment of our offensive efforts but it’s hard for me to be critical of a guy that’s generally pretty kind!

Call it in my life mantra!
Copeland now has what I would call a few legit D1 wide receivers and an actual QB (I think) so maybe we can now judge him. How hard do you think it was to recruit a receiver to Iowa with the QB play of the last few years? And then his best and only true legit talent in Johnson decided he didn’t want to play. Everyone else was hurt. Or just plain no good. A healthy Ragaini, healthy Vines, Anderson (fingers crossed) Brown from OSU (unknown but he must have talent if he was recruited by OSU.). We were throwing out a D2 group of receivers and at QB. Want to blame Copeland that’s fine. Guy is coaching with both hands tied behind his back. I’m optimistic now.

Copeland now has what I would call a few legit D1 wide receivers and an actual QB (I think) so maybe we can now judge him. How hard do you think it was to recruit a receiver to Iowa with the QB play of the last few years? And then his best and only true legit talent in Johnson decided he didn’t want to play. Everyone else was hurt. Or just plain no good. A healthy Ragaini, healthy Vines, Anderson (fingers crossed) Brown from OSU (unknown but he must have talent if he was recruited by OSU.). We were throwing out a D2 group of receivers and at QB. Want to blame Copeland that’s fine. Guy is coaching with both hands tied behind his back. I’m optimistic now.
With respect to WR talent or lack thereof, he's had a significant hand in that. Honestly, I thought he'd be gone after suggesting what a tough place Iowa was to recruit WR's to. He wasn't wrong, especially given the offensive shit show the last few years. With that said, recruiting, development and retention are the responsibility of the coaches, so nobody should get a pass for a lack of talent in a particular position group.

With respect to WR talent or lack thereof, he's had a significant hand in that. Honestly, I thought he'd be gone after suggesting what a tough place Iowa was to recruit WR's to. He wasn't wrong, especially given the offensive shit show the last few years. With that said, recruiting, development and retention are the responsibility of the coaches, so nobody should get a pass for a lack of talent in a particular position group.
Respectfully 100% disagree. Obviously someone has to take the blame and again, if you want to put it on him that’s fine. Do you disagree about anything I said about last year? Find me a WR coach that could have done anything with that shit sandwich he had last year. Do you find it pretty crazy we were able to get anyone decent after the last few years? Maybe the receivers realized we had a QB that was the worst guy in the league.

Brian sure seems to get a pass.

Reactions: jbofan and PNWHawk
Brian sure seems to get a pass.
Not from me he doesn't. A lack of talent represents a failure in the first step towards building a capable offense. Struggle there and everything else is a struggle. Kirk has been a great head coach. No one with the exception of a few here would consider him a great offensive mind. History has taught us that. Kirk needs a strong creative leader to run the offense and the OC is the leader of the offense. It falls on the offensive coaching staff and Brian in particular to build an offense that works. The offense has been horrible. Brian is where he is because he's Kirk's son. Nobody with clear eyes believes otherwise. Because he's Kirk's son he gets another shot this year. If the offense looks anything like the last 2 years, heads gotta roll. I'm hopeful that it won't.

Respectfully 100% disagree. Obviously someone has to take the blame and again, if you want to put it on him that’s fine. Do you disagree about anything I said about last year? Find me a WR coach that could have done anything with that shit sandwich he had last year. Do you find it pretty crazy we were able to get anyone decent after the last few years? Maybe the receivers realized we had a QB that was the worst guy in the league.
Well at least you're respectful. And yes, I agree with most of what you posted.

Brown is a four star #11 wr in the country offered by alabama and every school in the country but he’s an unknown ? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: jbofan and littlez
Brown is a four star #11 wr in the country offered by alabama and every school in the country but he’s an unknown ? LOL
If they don’t have Brown starting first game, then there is something wrong. You put a guy like that on the field and let him learn on the job. Times have changed. Put your best athletes out there and go.

I think you gotta start your best players
if it is Vines and Ragaini... then I know they deserved it.
if it is Anderson and Brown.. then they deserved it.
but I am fully confident that all 4 will see the field

I don't think it is fair to put too great of an expectation on any one WR
they're all going to get opportunities

I think you gotta start your best players
if it is Vines and Ragaini... then I know they deserved it.
if it is Anderson and Brown.. then they deserved it.
but I am fully confident that all 4 will see the field

I don't think it is fair to put too great of an expectation on any one WR
they're all going to get opportunities
Compared to where Brown is coming from there are zero expectations and pressure on him. Stuff like Iowa’s offense the last two years don’t happen at a place like Columbus. They will demote coordinators two or three games into a season. I guarantee they won’t give a quarterback three games if he’s not the guy at OSU, iowa will give you three years. Just different levels.

What has he done on the field ? Besides Ragaini none of our guys have done anything at this level. Again, I’m hopeful now that we have a legitimate QB again and what seems like 4 legit receivers.

What has he done on the field ? Besides Ragaini none of our guys have done anything at this level. Again, I’m hopeful now that we have a legitimate QB again and what seems like 4 legit receivers.
Yea. I don’t get it either. Ragaini is a proven commodity but no one else has done anything at this level. And we have people being like, “Brown needs to prove himself.” We’ve had guys in the program that have had multiple years to develop and it’s not exactly like you have to claw your way up the depth chart at receiver at iowa. I hope everyone plays great, but Brown has been stuck behind arguably the greatest receiving room in big ten history the past two years. Iowa’s receiving room has just been stuck, period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT