ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's WRs had only 76 Receptions, 796 yds & 2 TDs Last Season. 17 guys are Vying for 4-5 Spots

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
83 FBS players (including 3 tight ends) had more receiving yards in 2022 than Iowa wide receivers combined. 18 players had more receptions.

With just one career catch at Ohio State for five yards, Copeland hopes expectations can be kept in check for Kaleb Brown, the redshirt freshman, who arrived in June.

Kaden Wetjen (5-10, 196) of Williamsburg might be the fastest player on the team.

Regarding walk on Alec Wick: "he is by far one of the most dependable guys in the room,” Copeland said. “No question about it.”

Good story from Chad Leistikow of the Register.

Iowa football needs reliability from wide receivers after 'uncomfortable' 2022

Chad Leistikow
Des Moines Register
Aug 9, 2023

IOWA CITY − Just how bad was it for Iowa wide receivers in 2022?

So bad that receivers coach Kelton Copeland was compelled to share some hard truths publicly in a November interview such as, “It really is a challenge recruiting receivers here," and, “If you're the type of guy that's driven by stats, touches, targets, highlights, personal awards, this isn't the place for you.”

It is hard to fault Copeland for venting. His top two expected receivers combined for two catches for 11 yards last season – with Charlie Jones abruptly transferring to Purdue in late May and Keagan Johnson’s unpredictable health keeping him off the field for all but two games. For early-season games, Iowa had only two scholarship receivers – Arland Bruce IV and Brody Brecht – available. No wonder the Hawkeyes’ offense cratered so badly.

Copeland has no regrets about what he said nine months ago. In fact, he thinks those words were necessary to create change for Iowa football – either within himself, the program, the athletes or their frustrated parents.

“I am who I am. And I stand by what I say,” Copeland said in a recent interview with the Register. “I got a lot of feedback − I’ll term it that way − from that interview and some of the comments I made, which is good. I think bringing awareness to certain things, whether they be important to somebody or not, you get people talking and thinking about things. Then that creates a culture for change, if it’s necessary.”

The 2022 production in Copeland’s room was paltry. In 13 games, his wide receivers combined for these season totals: 76 catches, 796 yards and two touchdowns.

Eighty-three FBS players (including three tight ends) had more receiving yards in 2022 than Iowa wide receivers combined.

Eighteen players (including Jones, with 110) had more receptions.

Copeland is a quote guy, and one of his quotes is about real change not occurring until a person’s comfort zone is disturbed.

“And last year, quite frankly, was uncomfortable,” Copeland said. “Usually when you learn, there's something that's going to make you uncomfortable first to make you realize, 'Either I need to adjust or the people around me need to be on the same page.' And that's what culminated from last season.”

Copeland’s messaging is important not only for Iowa football but also as a Girl Dad.

Copeland and his wife, Bridgette, have three young daughters − Marlea, Devyn and Kabryn. He thinks of them when he sees today’s athletes, young and old, obsessing about statistics or highlights. Copeland recently heard a prominent NFL player forecasting what type of numbers he’ll produce this season.

“If that is becoming the standard now, to talk about what you're going to do as an individual instead of talking about what we can do as a team, man, we're going down a dark road,” he said. “Last I checked, this is still a team sport. In my humble opinion, it is the best team sport in the world.”

Copeland’s 2023 receivers room has been overhauled. Johnson transferred to Kansas State. Bruce transferred to Oklahoma State. Brecht has opted to play baseball full-time. Iowa secured two promising transfers from the NCAA portal and now has a crowded room of 17 wide receivers (including nine walk-ons).

One of the things Copeland is seeking in fall camp is at least one difference-making receiver who can attract double teams. Iowa didn’t have that true “X” receiver healthy a year ago. Johnson was supposed to be that guy. Tight end and Mackey Award finalist Sam LaPorta eventually moved to that role on occasion (allowing Luke Lachey to play a more inline tight-end role) because Iowa’s personnel was so thin and unproven.

“It has to be an individual that when he gets in a one-on-one situation, he's going to win that deal 80% (of the time) or higher,” Copeland said. “So, now, the defense is in a bind. You want to create a numbers conflict on the defense, to where they can't just play that one individual with one guy.”

With that, here is a breakdown of Iowa’s 17 wide receivers who are vying to be a part of a four- or five-man rotation that can help new quarterback Cade McNamara thrive. It’ll be interesting to watch these guys perform in Saturday’s open practice at Kinnick Stadium (gates open at 11 a.m., with practice at noon) and see who pops.

Nico Ragaini (6 feet, 190 pounds)

Copeland laughs because he’s been with the Iowa program only 11 months longer than Ragaini (who joined in January 2018). The only long-time proven receiver on the roster (with 125 career catches) needs to stay healthy, which has been a challenge for him except for 2019 when he had 46 receptions. Ragaini also is a needed team leader.

“I really lean on him a lot,” Copeland said. “And he's the first one to remind me (that), ‘Coach, we’re moving on. We’re better now. We’ve got better guys.’”

Story continues in the next post....

Diante Vines (6-0, 198)

The redshirt junior has looked explosive in practice clips, and head coach Kirk Ferentz feels good about Vines and Ragaini – both from Connecticut – leading this room. Vines (who has 10 career catches for 94 yards) was dazzling in fall camp last year until he suffered a broken wrist that kept him out for the first six games of 2022.

“Nico’s a pretty good player and I think Diante Vines is a really good player,” Ferentz said at Big Ten Media Days. “He’s healthy, and hopefully this is his time to move forward.”

Seth Anderson (6-0, 180)

While an Ohio State transfer got more headlines (more on him shortly), the Charleston Southern transfer has tangible on-field production and impressive bloodlines (his father, Willie “Flipper” Anderson still owns an NFL record with 336 receiving yards in one game). He is wearing the same number as Johnson did (No. 6) and was the offensive player of the year in the Big South Conference last fall after catching 42 passes for 628 yards and seven touchdowns. Don't sleep on Anderson.

Kaleb Brown (5-10, 197)

A top-100 national recruit in the Class of 2022 shows that Iowa can land heralded receivers. (“I didn’t say it was impossible,” Copeland joked.) Brown is the highest-rated wide receiver recruit to join Iowa in the Kirk Ferentz era. With just one career catch at Ohio State for five yards, Copeland hopes expectations can be kept in check for the redshirt freshman who arrived in June. But McNamara has been impressed by Brown’s skill set.

“We’re hoping and expecting him to be a big part of this offense and a valuable weapon for our offense moving forward,” Copeland said. “But it’s not just about Kaleb. … We’re a unit.”

Jacob Bostick (6-2, 183)

Another redshirt freshman with talent (he long-jumped 23 feet, 6 inches in high school) was bitten by injuries a year ago but was on the preseason depth chart. Bruce said last summer that Bostick was turning heads with his length and speed. This is his chance to break out.

The three true freshmen

The Class of 2023 newbies include Jarriett Buie (6-1, 185) of Tampa, Dayton Howard (6-4, 195) of Kansas City and Alex Mota (6-0, 180) of Marion. All three arrived in June, but Iowa has not been shy in the past about throwing a true freshman into the mix. Some recent examples are Jerminic Smith, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Brandon Smith, Johnson and Bruce.

“These three guys have really fit the bill so far,” Copeland said.

The nine walk-ons

The robust list includes two players on the depth chart in Alec Wick (6-1, 193) of Iowa City Regina and Reese Osgood (5-11, 189) of Franklin, Wisconsin. Copeland also is high on hard-working Jack Johnson (6-0, 195) of West Des Moines Valley, and Kaden Wetjen (5-10, 196) of Williamsburg might be the fastest player on the team.

The other five names trying to make their marks: Graham Fredrichsen (6-1, 200) of Urbandale; Alex Eichmann (6-2, 207) of Sussex, Wisconsin; Ayden Price (5-11, 185) of West Des Moines Valley; Aidan McDermott (6-1, 192) of Cedar Rapids Xavier; and Judah Mallette (5-11, 178) of Chicago.

Of this group, Wick might be the most equipped to make a splash. He is known for great hands and had only missed part of one practice in his Hawkeye career entering fall camp.

Wick had two catches for 31 yards last season for the Hawkeyes. “I don't want to give to any one person too much praise … but he is by far one of the most dependable guys in the room,” Copeland said. “No question about it.”

Given what transpired in 2022, dependability across the board for Iowa receivers would be welcomed with open arms by Copeland in 2023.

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 28 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

Last edited:
While the WR issues last season are well-documented, the production stats CL cites are a bit misleading. As he notes, LaPorta lined up at the X quite often, so any catches he made on those plays arguably should be included in the collective WR stats.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing the new WRs and offense develop in 2023. Hope they all can stay healthy.

1. Cringe
2. How about switching to a Spread offense so higher end WRs would actually WANT to come here?
I don’t believe you need to go to a “spread offense” per se to attract high-end talent at wide receiver. What you need is to be able to show respectable productivity from that position.

IIRC, Kirk has always stated he wants the Iowa offense to be balanced. Let’s face it: the 2011-2014 time frame saw Iowa take a pretty giant step back in terms of recruiting and wins, for whatever reason. It also coincided with the Greg Davis era of designed 3-yard wide receiver routes on 3rd and 5. Who’s going to sign up for that?

The early part of the Brian Ferentz era showed a little promise but it was hamstrung by wildly inconsistent play from Nate Stanley (and the OL for that matter). Then came the Spencer Petras nightmare and you get what you get.

Iowa fans should just be grateful for NIL. Without it, you’re looking at a receiving rotation that would include Alec Wick and other walk-ons. With much better talent on board, this year’s offense should prove that Iowa’s style of play can be good and see decent production at wide receiver.

One thing is for sure, though: Brian Ferentz got a pass last season because of a serious lack of talent. That won’t be the case this year. No more excuses. If the offense is trash again this year, then Kirk and Brian both need to go.

ragaini, wick, and vines are gonna be our guys who terrorize the cbs in this conference. ragaini likely has more experience than any receiver in cfb, wick in practice has had everyone raving about him last couple years and it will show in games this year, vines is a stud who just needed to get his wrist back. DCs have to be having sleepless nights.

If nothing else, i expect production to be better - based on health alone. WR room was thin to begin with, but only once did 4 scholarship guys even dress.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Thanks for posting Fran. Those are painful numbers. Worse yet, we all thought last year was going to be drastically better than the year before. Boy did we get a surprise! Let's hope we use all this offensive talent and shock the college football world. I don't know about the team but the fans are damn sure ready!

ragaini, wick, and vines are gonna be our guys who terrorize the cbs in this conference. ragaini likely has more experience than any receiver in cfb, wick in practice has had everyone raving about him last couple years and it will show in games this year, vines is a stud who just needed to get his wrist back. DCs have to be having sleepless nights.
I'm as die hard as any Hawk fan on this site. If Wick is one of our primary targeted receivers this year we are in real real trouble. Heavy dose of Lachey and All and some Ostrenga. Heavy dose of Ragaini and Vines. Hope that Anderson and Brown can contribute.

I believe they will go up and the reason is the QB. It will be back to the norm of 70th -100th ranked offense.

1999 - ?? (Ken O'Keefe)
2000 - 104/116 (Ken O'Keefe)
2001 - 45/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2002 - 13/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2003 - 92/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2004 - 104/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2005 - 22/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2006 - 27/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2007 - 109/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2008 - 53/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2009 - 89/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2010 - 57/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2011 - 76/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2012 - 117/124 (Greg Davis)
2013 - 84/125 (Greg Davis)
2014 - 66/128 (Greg Davis)
2015 - 72/128 (Greg Davis)
2016 - 121/128 (Greg Davis)
2017 - 117/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2018 - 92/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2019 - 99/130 (Brian Ferentz)
2020 - 88/128 (Brian Ferentz)
2021 - 124/130 (Brian Ferentz
2022 - 123/131 ( Brian Ferentz)

• Wow
Great write up by Chad. Really helps sum up our current situation. Really can't wait to see Seth and Dionte play, I'm hoping they make a big splash this year. Really hoping we get Kaleb Brown involved early and often, as having him for two or three seasons could be so beneficial to our WR production going forward.

I also appreciate Copeland's honesty and openness on this issue, because someone needed to say it. It's time to change the culture and start improving our WR situation. With Cade at the helm, we can only hope he can lead this group to success.

Great write up by Chad. Really helps sum up our current situation. Really can't wait to see Seth and Dionte play, I'm hoping they make a big splash this year. Really hoping we get Kaleb Brown involved early and often, as having him for two or three seasons could be so beneficial to our WR production going forward.

I also appreciate Copeland's honesty and openness on this issue, because someone needed to say it. It's time to change the culture and start improving our WR situation. With Cade at the helm, we can only hope he can lead this group to success.

and we could have Cade for the 2024 season, too

I don’t believe you need to go to a “spread offense” per se to attract high-end talent at wide receiver. What you need is to be able to show respectable productivity from that position.

IIRC, Kirk has always stated he wants the Iowa offense to be balanced. Let’s face it: the 2011-2014 time frame saw Iowa take a pretty giant step back in terms of recruiting and wins, for whatever reason. It also coincided with the Greg Davis era of designed 3-yard wide receiver routes on 3rd and 5. Who’s going to sign up for that?

The early part of the Brian Ferentz era showed a little promise but it was hamstrung by wildly inconsistent play from Nate Stanley (and the OL for that matter). Then came the Spencer Petras nightmare and you get what you get.

Iowa fans should just be grateful for NIL. Without it, you’re looking at a receiving rotation that would include Alec Wick and other walk-ons. With much better talent on board, this year’s offense should prove that Iowa’s style of play can be good and see decent production at wide receiver.

One thing is for sure, though: Brian Ferentz got a pass last season because of a serious lack of talent. That won’t be the case this year. No more excuses. If the offense is trash again this year, then Kirk and Brian both need to go.
Maybe play uptempo at times and not milk the play clock down to 5 seconds so you have more offensive snaps in the game

I'm as die hard as any Hawk fan on this site. If Wick is one of our primary targeted receivers this year we are in real real trouble. Heavy dose of Lachey and All and some Ostrenga. Heavy dose of Ragaini and Vines. Hope that Anderson and Brown can contribute.
That was my thought reading that. We can't have high expectations of KBrown, but the most dependable receiver is Wick? UGH.

I'm still more concerned with the OL, but WR gets 2nd place for me. I hope it All works out.

I still believe a balanced offense means you can do either to exploit the defense when the opportunity arises rather than trying to achieve a 50/50 split in production.

It seems our goal is the latter rather than the former, which has been one of my biggest complaints over the past 20 years.

I get player development, but sometimes you have to take advantage of an opponent's weakness (like Purdue often does) and "scratch where it itches."

if you have the lead and the ball... the smart thing to do is to run the play clock down to 1 every single time.
the dumb thing to do is to hurry up and give the ball back to the other team.

the new rule regarding the clock should favor Iowa's play style

the-joker-heath-ledger.gif

What's interesting to consider is ... how much better might Iowa's WR group look if we actually have a QB who has some pass-pro AND who is confident enough to make the throws?

Of course, it's also a requirement for the WRs to be on the same page with the QB too. Over the prior few years ... the WRs deserve some blame for not being on the same page with the QB.

What's interesting to consider is ... how much better might Iowa's WR group look if we actually have a QB who has some pass-pro AND who is confident enough to make the throws?

Of course, it's also a requirement for the WRs to be on the same page with the QB too. Over the prior few years ... the WRs deserve some blame for not being on the same page with the QB.
Our WR production in 2020 fell off a cliff, despite a good OL and a talented duo in ISM and Brandon Smith. I have a hunch WR production picks up again.

• Haha
🙄

Vines, Ragaini, and Wick huh? If so, that group is probably not scaring anyone on the schedule.

Do you want a box of tissues? or do you want to move on...? It's going to be a
  • Stunning.
  • Unimaginable.
  • Phenomenal.
  • Splendid.
  • Remarkable.
  • Unbelievable.
  • Breathtaking.
  • Tremendous YEAR FOR THE SUPER GREAT IOWA HAWKEYES - You can bet the farm on it!
and I have heard rumors that they have secretly been planning a stealth play which can't be detected.
creeping secret agent GIF by Manny404

Last edited:
  • Haha
No offense, and I get being a homer to an extent, but there isn’t a single DC losing any sleep whatsoever over a combination of Wick, Ragaini, and Vines at WR.

I’m not saying those three suck, but it’s time to come back to Earth a bit.

That was my thought reading that. We can't have high expectations of KBrown, but the most dependable receiver is Wick? UGH.

I'm still more concerned with the OL, but WR gets 2nd place for me. I hope it All works out.
Do remember that when this interview was done, (the interview he was quoted in was from LAST November) that Copeland had even worked with any of the transfers or incoming freshman, so some context. He's also talking about consistency, and I believe he said "one of the most dependable".

If the 3 starting WR's do not include Ragaini, Brown, Vines - our coaches should just walk away.

And what is the "moon family" title for KF?
Look under Staff...
I don't know about Brown ... he's not a very proven commodity. Certainly, I expect him to contribute though.

If healthy, I expect Anderson to be more of a contributor.

I think that Ragaini, Vines, Anderson, and Brown will all be getting opportunities. The question is who will seize their opportunities?

Also, we have 2 high-level TEs who will be demanding a lot of attention from opposing Ds.

Kaleb Johnson's running will force safeties down in the box (like they always seem to be against Iowa).

Is this the year ... will the WRs and QB make them pay?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT