ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hy-Vee a premier grocery chain?

I guess, objectively, it is one of the better regional chains. Clean stores, good customer service, relatively wide selection.

But I have complaints. It’s run out so many other stores, it’s prices are kind of ridiculous. It has also cornered the market on liquor, at least here in the Quad Cities, which sucks, because while they have some high end stuff, they still don’t carry anywhere near the selection a solid standalone independent liquor store does.

We need a Binny’s here. That would be a license to print money, especially if they had more rare stuff HyVee won’t carry.
they've gotten too big. When running to the grocery store, I don't want to go to a 100,000sqft warehouse that sells everything under the sun. The traffic, parking and congestion is also bothersome.

Safeway is the predominant chain in our Colorado market, its good enough but I hate that they've eliminated a lot of the brand name labels and replaced it all with safeway private label products. I suspect Hy-Vee is doing the same.

It’s funny how different things are regionally. When I was shopping for Shipt we all hated doing HyVee shops because they were always out of stock for a large number of items and Target was always well stocked. I do most of my shopping at Target and seldom have to go elsewhere. Sometimes I go to Aldi, especially for produce. I never shop at Walmart but will do the Neighborhood Market across the street from Target for Skinny Girl dressings if I need them.

Reactions: fezzador
I've been a Kroger customer for 25 years. Urban Kroger stores suck. Suburban Kroger stores are great.
Moved out of Kroger land right when they started to upgrade. I’m in Fry’s hell now which is a chain under the Kroger’s umbrella. It’s meh too but they are starting to upgrade the suburban stores.

Giant Eagle won me over ten years ago with their Market District. Stores had a two-story cafe with fireplaces and outdoor patio’s. Tv’s everywhere and a full bar too. I could take my laptop there in the morning and get coffee and an omelette then pho for lunch and some
fresh nuggs for happy hour and get a
Growler to take home.

Giant Eagle > Dirty John’s IC > Krogers

It’s funny how different things are regionally. When I was shopping for Shipt we all hated doing HyVee shops because they were always out of stock for a large number of items and Target was always well stocked. I do most of my shopping at Target and seldom have to go elsewhere. Sometimes I go to Aldi, especially for produce. I never shop at Walmart but will do the Neighborhood Market across the street from Target for Skinny Girl dressings if I need them.
I do Shipt as a side job. Most of my runs are at Publix and some days are definitely better than others. Some days I bat a thousand, but other runs I'm lucky to get 2/3rds of the items. I do Target runs on occasion and have a bit more success there.

I don't mind the shopping, but the member base is pretty unpredictable as a whole. Some members are uncommunicative and stingy and won't leave a tip no matter what you do, and others are empathetic to shoppers (it's a tougher job than pizza delivery and Door Dash, but also more thankless) and tip handsomely. I do get $30+ tips from time to time, which is really nice.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Target sucks. Their selection sucks and they are frequently out of stock. Walmart actually has a good selection due to its distribution chain, and offers items that you cannot find in Hy-Vee. But it's walmart. I probably buy 50% of my stuff from Sam's Club due to pricing. During the workweek if we need a few things, I will actually hit the downtown Hy-Vee on the way home as it is pretty convenient. On the weekend if I need a few things, or a specific item not available elsewhere, I will hit up the Ankeny North Hy-Vee, as it is only 5 minutes from my house. I have tried Aldi a few times but the selection sucks and it annoys me for some reason. They do have great prices on whole chickens, so if I am spatchcocking those on the smoker that is where I get them. I am not a fan of Fareway either. Just kind of dingy with a poor selection. People rave about the meat counter but I don't find it to be that great. We get most of our meat from Sam's.

It’s just me so I don’t go to Sams more than once or twice a year for the bulk items, mostly the items that won’t go bad. I don’t love Walmart either but the one in Ankeny is decent and I’ll go there for my larger grocery runs. Haven’t tried Aldi yet.

I guess, objectively, it is one of the better regional chains. Clean stores, good customer service, relatively wide selection.

But I have complaints. It’s run out so many other stores, it’s prices are kind of ridiculous. It has also cornered the market on liquor, at least here in the Quad Cities, which sucks, because while they have some high end stuff, they still don’t carry anywhere near the selection a solid standalone independent liquor store does.

We need a Binny’s here. That would be a license to print money, especially if they had more rare stuff HyVee won’t carry.
I would say no. Sunset Foods would be considered as such in the Chicago area. Great for fresh meat, fish and other perishables.

I haven't been in a Hy-Vee since they started Aisles Online. That's the greatest thing ever.

I don't worry about meat because we raise and butcher our own pork and beef, so we place the order and drive up, and am gone in under 10 minutes every single time.

Neighbor has chickens and cornish game hens and eggs. Love country life.

Love HyVee. Mostly because I know where everything is and it’s close to my house. Also close friends with some higher ups and they’re really great people.
My local HyVee is playing that trick where they completely overhauled the locations of everything in the store moving them to different aisles. Now I can't just walk in and buy, I have to go searching. They're starting to play that game of rotating stuff around. DO NOT LIKE.

My local HyVee is playing that trick where they completely overhauled the locations of everything in the store moving them to different aisles. Now I can't just walk in and buy, I have to go searching. They're starting to play that game of rotating stuff around. DO NOT LIKE.
The worst thing I can say about the Hy-Vee nearest to our house is that they keep trying to sell clothes, and now shoes, clogging up valuable square footage with shit I would never buy.

They typically do not do these things to make it more challenging to find things. They do it to reallocate space to growing categories, etc. Space allocation is like a puzzle and often times it involves moving categories

that’s just retail category management and merchandising

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
I still don't get the Mark Wahlberg thing for Hy-Vee. Patrick Mahomes makes all kinds of sense. I get that Mark Wahlberg is investing his money, I don't get why Hy-Vee is buying. Is he supposed to be like a safe apolitical Hollywood celeb for kids to look up to when they start lifting weights instead of some liberal like Brad Pitt who also has a six pack to do movies? Does Hy-Vee consider him to be relevant/best they can do to attract fitness shoppers? It's just such an odd mix. They know he served time for a hate crime right? Most people who shop at HyVee who manage people couldn't hire Mark Wahlberg without some extra paperwork

Reactions: Moral
They typically do not do these things to make it more challenging to find things. They do it to reallocate space to growing categories, etc. Space allocation is like a puzzle and often times it involves moving categories

that’s just retail category management and merchandising
Explain why aisle two (right at the main entrance to the store) is the supplement aisle (that nobody buys) and the bread aisle is at the far end of the store? Hy Vee doesn't make the shopping convenient, they run you through the gauntlet hoping you buy more stuff.

As for kitchens/diners, shout out to the GOAT grocery store diner the Sunshine grocery store diner at the Indian Hills location in Sioux City.

I've been to a bunch all over the country, Krogers, Piggly Wiggly, Winn-Dixie, Safeway, Food Lion, etc. Hy Vee is as good as any of them.

Explain why aisle two (right at the main entrance to the store) is the supplement aisle (that nobody buys) and the bread aisle is at the far end of the store? Hy Vee doesn't make the shopping convenient, they run you through the gauntlet hoping you buy more stuff.

As for kitchens/diners, shout out to the GOAT grocery store diner the Sunshine grocery store diner at the Indian Hills location in Sioux City.
Well vitamins typically have a high profit margin, so I can see why they would put in a prime location. Plus chains are really pushing health type items

but it is not exactly a new concept to put staple items in further back areas , to encourage shopping of entire store

you want them to put milk, eggs and bread at checkouts?

Hy Vee doesn't make the shopping convenient, they run you through the gauntlet hoping you buy more stuff.
giphy.gif

Well vitamins typically have a high profit margin, so I can see why they would put in a prime location. Plus chains are really pushing health type items

but it is not exactly a new concept to put staple items in further back areas , to encourage shopping of entire store

you want them to put milk, eggs and bread at checkouts?
They used to do that when they still had express check outs and before they replaced them with self checkouts, at least at the Waterfront Hy-Vee in Iowa City. They had a few gallons of milk and cartons of eggs in a cooler right by the express lane.

I have to be in the right frame of mind to shop at Hy-Vee. As to the liquor, at least you live in QCA and can bounce across the river and hit the liquor stores over there. That said, in NL they do have the cheapest prices on the stuff I drink.

they've gotten too big. When running to the grocery store, I don't want to go to a 100,000sqft warehouse that sells everything under the sun. The traffic, parking and congestion is also bothersome.

Safeway is the predominant chain in our Colorado market, its good enough but I hate that they've eliminated a lot of the brand name labels and replaced it all with safeway private label products. I suspect Hy-Vee is doing the same.
Hyvee has one of the best private labels in the country. Its been a good 12 years now but some agency did a taste test of labels and hyvee was by far the best private label and was the only one that won any categories over the name brands. They won several canned vegetables and tomatoes categories.

Hyvee has one of the best private labels in the country. Its been a good 12 years now but some agency did a taste test of labels and hyvee was by far the best private label and was the only one that won any categories over the name brands. They won several canned vegetables and tomatoes categories.
Their products are good but they're almost as expensive as the brands in many cases until they go on sale (I do like to load up on canned tomatoes there when they go on sale because they are legitimately good as brand name equivalents).

Reactions: Moral
I've been to a bunch all over the country, Krogers, Piggly Wiggly, Winn-Dixie, Safeway, Food Lion, etc. Hy Vee is as good as any of them.
Piggly Wiggly is still around? I lived in Northern Alabama for a few years and it was my closest grocery store. I like Mariano's and Jewell in the Chicago area today.

When I later lived in Holland, MI, there were groceries called Family Fare. Great selection, fresh produce, but they sold no alcohol. I didn't go there more than a couple of times.

Costco’s Kirkland might disagree

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT