ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kirk here five more years?

I think kirk is the most, if not close, to the most honorable man in college football. The 60% number will loom large.
Kirk deserves to be in the hall of fame. His list of accomplishments is close to some of the best of all time. He just doesn't have the championships. Earning those is hard to do when you aren't a cheater.
With that being said, I think where he sits will (and should) help dictate when he retires. If I were in his family and he gets past the 60% plateau; we sit down and have some serious discussions.

Many folks might not like the answer ... but Kirk is a dude that is cut from the same sort of football-addicted cloth of Frank Beamer, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Bear Bryant. The latter two essentially died shortly after departing from the coaching profession. There is something about being around young people (as a profession) that keeps you feeling young and vibrant. When that is gone ... the sense of purpose wanes. Kirks not the sort of dude who has a lot of hobbies ... so, like many on the board have said ... a lot likely hinges on his and Mary's health.

Furthermore, while Brian might be gone ... he still has family in the area ... and Tyler Barnes is his son-in-law.

Now, the bigger question might be whether the culture of NIL drives him crazy ... much like it contributed to Saban's retirement.
Jestin Jacobs had one assist tackle in Oregon's first game of the year. I wonder if he wishes he had stayed here.

Why would they offer him an extension when his contract goes through 2029? He will be 74 years old when his current contract is up. Time to move on after that. Beth doesn't seem the type to just hand out extensions like Barta.
It will be a 1 year rolling extension so always that 4 or 5 years out there. If and when he retires he doesn't get paid out for any of the contract left since it would be a voluntary departure.

2-3 years. Unless we make the CFP and a deep run, in which case I think he rides into the sunset, 60% in hand, fans behind him (except the ones that will still be mad no matter what he does), and has a say in his successor. Although Beth has proven she is not afraid to call the shots. Which I think is good, bTW.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
I think kirk is the most, if not close, to the most honorable man in college football. The 60% number will loom large.
Kirk deserves to be in the hall of fame. His list of accomplishments is close to some of the best of all time. He just doesn't have the championships. Earning those is hard to do when you aren't a cheater.
With that being said, I think where he sits will (and should) help dictate when he retires. If I were in his family and he gets past the 60% plateau; we sit down and have some serious discussions.
Kirk just got suspended for cheating.

More. Contract runs thru the ‘29 season. I believe he’ll coach out his contract.
If he's still around that long, he will get an extension. You never want a coach coaching in the last year of his contract -- it would kill recruiting. Almost nobody coaches out their contract anymore.

Reactions: J-Prof
Not a fan of success?
1. Not a fan of blowouts and goose eggs.
Michigan 42, Iowa 3
Michigan 26, Iowa 0
Tennessee 35, Iowa 0
Unacceptable embarrassment and lack of competitiveness in recent championship level games.

2. Not a fan of nepotism.
Iowa AD forced to terminate the contract of son Brian Ferentz because Kirk failed/refused.

I would include the Husch Blackwell investigation and finding of a program “which perpetuated racial and cultural bias” but to his credit, Ferentz took responsibility for it and implemented programs to address the deficiencies.

Michigan 42, Iowa 3
Michigan 26, Iowa 0
Tennessee 35, Iowa 0
Unacceptable embarrassment and lack of competitiveness in recent championship level games.

Iowa AD forced to terminate the contract of son Brian Ferentz because Kirk failed/refused.

I would include the Husch Blackwell investigation and finding of a program “which perpetuated racial and cultural bias” but to his credit, Ferentz took responsibility for it and implemented programs to address the deficiencies.

The last 2½ years were bad, due primarily because of the offense, O-Line and the OC and lack of a QB coach.

Kirk Ferentz, like Hayden Fry, showed his age a bit. Ethics matter at Iowa, and over the past 50 years, our head coaches each beat JoePa and Penn State in Happy Valley, rare air.

Iowa is a tier 1 program with Utah and Oklahoma State. Wisconsin was there from 2010 to 2019.

Opportunity knocks.

Iowa made the right hire with a good QB coach and likely the best fit OC since 1980s.

Time will tell. Time to take a major step up‼️

I could see it. Not too many scenarios where I could see him bein forced out. I think 8 wins, and he's safe no matter what happened the year prior.

I'd probably set the bar at 4 wins for him to be forced out in a given season, but if that 4 win season was on the heals of a 10+ win season I think he's probably still be safe.

I could see him being forced out with a 7 win or 6 win season followed up a 7 win or less season. I could also see him being forced out with a 5 or less win season following an 8 win season.

I think where Ferentz is right now you're looking at a 2 season window in determining his next season. So no matter what happens this season, barring maybe like 3 wins, he's safe.

I could see it. Not too many scenarios where I could see him bein forced out. I think 8 wins, and he's safe no matter what happened the year prior.

I'd probably set the bar at 4 wins for him to be forced out in a given season, but if that 4 win season was on the heals of a 10+ win season I think he's probably still be safe.

I could see him being forced out with a 7 win or 6 win season followed up a 7 win or less season. I could also see him being forced out with a 5 or less win season following an 8 win season.

I think where Ferentz is right now you're looking at a 2 season window in determining his next season. So no matter what happens this season, barring maybe like 3 wins, he's safe.

This year, and 3-4 years minimum, since I see him coaching Iose throughout his career 🤔

peace

I will add this: Following the Bluder-to-Jenson transition in WBB, I think there may be an appetite within the university for seamless, in-house leadership transitions in their marquee programs. (If WBB does well this year, that appetite will grow.) On top of that, I think you've got the makings of a strong football core staff in Parker, Lester, Wallace, and Woods, that could easily take the baton and run if Kirk hangs it up anytime soon. I know KF and others have said not to make too much of the appointing of Wallace as AHC, but I can't help but think they are getting their ducks in a row for a seamless transition, should they opt to go that route.

Reactions: LukaDuka
yes he will, he's in better shape than 90% of people on this forum, you guys ever seen him run at the indoor facility? he can still move pretty damn well.

Why would they offer him an extension when his contract goes through 2029? He will be 74 years old when his current contract is up. Ti to move on after that. Beth doesn't seem the type to just hand out extensions like Barta.
you think she has big enough balls to run off the coach with the most wins in Big10 history? Really? Annual extensions are the norm so each freshman class can be assured the head coach will be there through their senior year.

Now Fran may be a different story. She did not extend him.... yet.

Reactions: Stoopsbrother

This is Iowa we're talking about, Not Braska bro...

Happy College Sports GIF by Huskers

friends fail GIF

Numbers Calculating GIF by netflixlat
Kid Calculating GIF by TLC

Yes, most losses in B1G history by quite a margin. His high number of wins and losses are both connected to his longevity. I'll leave it at that because this always riles some people up. It's just a matter of how you define "winningest".

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/coaches.html
It's funny. I happened upon an Ohio State fan YT podcast and they ranked Ferentz as the 7th best coach in the B10 going into the season behind guys like Schiano and Luke Fickell, and their opening argument was merely because Ferentz has "the most losses" by a B10 coach...........

Michigan 42, Iowa 3
Michigan 26, Iowa 0
Tennessee 35, Iowa 0

So.... basically not a fan of success.

This is truly unbelievable. I don't know whether to laugh, cry, get pissed off, or feel sorry for you.

How does it make sense to judge the longest tenured coach in the country on three games?

Not only three loses, but the scoring margin in those three loses, lmao. I'm not embarrassed by those games. I can almost guarantee you none of the players and coaches are embarrassed. Are you embarrassed?

So if it's unacceptable to have a bad scoring margin in conference championship and big-time bowl games, it certainly must be unacceptable to not have the level of success to make it to those games.

I hate to break it to you, but Iowa isn't a lock to make it to conference championship and big-time bowl games with your average level replacement coach.

I know that you've been spoiled by nearly 25 straight years of success. But most coaches, at a place like Iowa, are going to have a down year every now and then. Over his tenure, KF has a more than respectable record against top competition.

One would think a down year may have come when forced to play the worst QB (to take significant snaps) that I've seen in 39 years of closely following the Hawks. Instead, Iowa was able to make the conference title game and an upper level bowl. If there was ever a time for fans to be absolutely giddy that they have the coach that they do.

Yet, somehow you want KF out of there. LMAO, you can't make this stuff up. That kind of thinking is what's wrong with sports and society today.

Not a fan of nepotism? Then I guess you aren't a fan of football. Every staff in the country is made up of people who had previous relationships with each other.

The racial claims are now laughed at by national media. That's all you need to know. You think national media is going to take that stance without significant reason to do so? Not in a million years. It was nothing more than a group opportunist scammers that capitalized on social climate timing

Last edited:
It's funny. I happened upon an Ohio State fan YT podcast and they ranked Ferentz as the 7th best coach in the B10 going into the season behind guys like Schiano and Luke Fickell, and their opening argument was merely because Ferentz has "the most losses" by a B10 coach...........
Want to blow your mind? KFz has been at Iowa 7 years longer than JoPa was at Penn St and 5 years longer than Bo was at Michigan.

Isn't the 18-team BIG already a "super conference"? There's not much else that could happen on that front. The BIG and SEC could "join" into one conference, but it would be in name only. What else could possibly change? Iowa plays Alabama instead of Ohio State? Iowa plays LSU instead of Michigan? Seriously, any changes would seem to essentially maintain the status quo or alter things at the edges. The BIG could expand, but you would still only play half the league in a season, if that.

The most significant changes are behind us. What's left is just tying up the loose ends. IMHO, of course.
To be brief, I was just reading the tea leafs. TV, IMO is now running college football along with the NFL which has a free minor league. I am envisioning a "super-conference" where 5 or 6 perennially top teams from the BIG, same with SEC, maybe fewer from the ACC, the 12 and of course ND become a "super conference." The teams left out, would form regional conferences to keep costs lower and would become something between FBS and FCS. I don't know where Iowa would fall. This is just my prognostication and I do know what they say about our opinions.

Want to blow your mind? KFz has been at Iowa 7 years longer than JoPa was at Penn St and 5 years longer than Bo was at Michigan.
How about this one:

Tyler Tachman, who is the Hawkeye beat writer for the Des Moines Register, had not been born yet when Kirk Ferentz became the head coach at Iowa.

I’ve never thought of this before, obviously due to tenure. Does he also have the most losses in Big Ten history too?
Yes. Pat Fitzgerald was on a pace where he would have passed Kirk in a few years until something suddenly came up in his seemingly lifetime job.

To the posters that want Kirk to be on the sideline till the day he croaks, I have questions, has the post season been any fun the last few years? Do you guys like watching Iowa get embarrassed on the biggest stages? Do you think winning 10 games against shit teams is something to pound your chest about? JFC, Kirk has been more good than bad, but FFS let’s at least be honest about his accomplishments.

To the posters that want Kirk to be on the sideline till the day he croaks, I have questions, has the post season been any fun the last few years? Do you guys like watching Iowa get embarrassed on the biggest stages? Do you think winning 10 games against shit teams is something to pound your chest about? JFC, Kirk has been more good than bad, but FFS let’s at least be honest about his accomplishments.
Go back to Braska and eat sh!t.

Long live Kirk!!!
iowa hawkeyes football GIF by University of Iowa Hawkeyes Athletics

American Football GIF by JACK

Last edited:
Yes, postseason games are always fun. The shutout vs Kentucky was especially fun.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as having been embarrassed. I can almost guarantee you none of the players or coaches have been embarrassed by anything.

Anyone who is judging the longest tenured coach in the country based on a couple losses, when having been QB'd by the worst QB (to take significant snaps) that I've seen at Iowa in my 39 years of closely following the program, has no credibility.

To have made the conference championship 2 out of 3 years is pretty damn impressive. I think you are making KF's argument for him. No shame in losing to the eventual national champs with Hill. And no shame to losing to the #2 team in the country in the '21 game vs Michigan (especially considering their unfair competitive advantage in that game).

How far back do you want to go with postseason play? You mentioned a "few years", which I assumed meant three. Do you want to go back three more seasons, in which Iowa was 3-0 in bowls, including a 25 point drubbing of USC? Or do you want to just cherry pick 3 out of 25 years, lmao? KF's career record against top competition is more than respectable.

Anyone who minimizes the wins of a program that has won for near the entirety of 25 years, or really, minimize winning, period, at the college level has no credibility. There are no shit teams in the big ten

Well, for Joe Pa perhaps you mean since Penn State had joined the B10, because he was PSU coach for over 40 years.

But that'd still be a crazy stat regarding Bo Schembechler.

Yes, postseason games are always fun. The shutout vs Kentucky was especially fun.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as having been embarrassed. I can almost guarantee you none of the players or coaches have been embarrassed by anything.

Anyone who is judging the longest tenured coach in the country based on a couple losses, when having been QB'd by the worst QB (to take significant snaps) that I've seen at Iowa in my 39 years of closely following the program, has no credibility.

To have made the conference championship 2 out of 3 years is pretty damn impressive. I think you are making KF's argument for him. No shame in losing to the eventual national champs with Hill. And no shame to losing to the #2 team in the country in the '21 game vs Michigan (especially considering their unfair competitive advantage in that game).

How far back do you want to go with postseason play? You mentioned a "few years", which I assumed meant three. Do you want to go back three more seasons, in which Iowa was 3-0 in bowls, including a 25 point drubbing of USC? Or do you want to just cherry pick 3 out of 25 years, lmao? KF's career record against top competition is more than respectable.

Anyone who minimizes the wins of a program that has won for near the entirety of 25 years, or really, minimize winning, period, at the college level has no credibility. There are no shit teams in the big ten
The Music City Bowl was more catharsis due to them sneaking out a win the season before, that we should've won.

And we did it mostly because of the defense.

Otherwise that game encapsulates everything wrong with the modern bowl setting in CFB.

Opt-outs, bad Iowa offense that was a little bit more serviceable with Labas, at least in the 1st half, and a game that was otherwise treated as a glorified exhibition than anything truly meaningful, and this isn't just fan-speak if you want to get real about it...................................

But sure it was fun to beat Kentucky and quiet their fans. :D

The Music City Bowl was more catharsis due to them sneaking out a win the season before, that we should've won.

And we did it mostly because of the defense.

Otherwise that game encapsulates everything wrong with the modern bowl setting in CFB.

Opt-outs, bad Iowa offense that was a little bit more serviceable with Labas, at least in the 1st half, and a game that was otherwise treated as a glorified exhibition than anything truly meaningful, and this isn't just fan-speak if you want to get real about it...................................

But sure it was fun to beat Kentucky and quiet their fans. :D
Sounds like a win to me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT