ADVERTISEMENT

Is PED abuse a thing in college wrestling?

I would hope that nobody in the NCAA is using PEDs. The toll on the body from it just isn't worth it. I am sure that someone somewhere at sometime has but I doubt it is very widespread.

As far as malnourished I am not sure that is the word. Some guys are making a tough cut and that can wear on people. Different teams also have different philosophies to how much and how hard to train. It all makes a difference.

Some teams look to be in peak condition the whole season. Others have ups and downs.

Are some of the guys malnourished?
The NCAA monitors all kinds of things with these guys relative to weight cut, how much you can cut in a certain period of time, etc. (I don't know all of the specifics word for word, but you can't have a rapid descent in a matter of days anymore type of thing). It's a far more controlled and far better system than it used to be concerning the overall health of the athletes.

So I don't think anyone is "malnourished", but it doesn't mean they don't have a battle maintaining their weight.

Peak conditioning is relative. No one is peak this time of year and if they are, chances are they will suffer in March as it is incredibly hard to maintain peak performance/conditioning over an extended period of time. There is a science to peaking in March which includes training phases and rest phases and coaches will map out the entire season. Sometimes when you see a team look tired and sluggish at a particular event it is because they in a training phase. I can't say what system Tom is using but I can tell you that with Gable, Christmas break was a training phase (two a day and occasionally 3).

Absolutely PED use is occurring in college wrestling and basically every sport.

PED use does not "damage" the body the way it used to with steroid use. The modern drugs are very, very effective and the downsides are minimal. I would wager micro-dosing is pretty common. Guys aren't using the same way they did back in the Lesnar days.

Anyone who thinks PED use isn't taking place in college wrestling is naive. Just take a look at all the former college wrestlers who have tested positive in the UFC.

Last edited:
Abuse? No. Usage? Absolutely. Every sport has "performance enhancing drugs" usage.

This is nothing new and will not change, ever, no matter what rules are in place.

So, what rules, and enforcement, currently is in place? Who does the testing? When does the testing occur -- random or scheduled? Most wrestlers wouldn't benefit from the weight gain of an anabolic steroid (unless they were going from 125 to 133 for some reason), but is current testing sophisticated enough to detect the new designer drugs coming out of Russia and China?
And, most importantly, how has CARL gotten past these rules for so long?

Absolutely there is. I’ve never seen a 125 pound kid not on the juice. You see how jacked some of these kids are for 125? Unthinkable it’s not aided muscle growth

So, what rules, and enforcement, currently is in place? Who does the testing? When does the testing occur -- random or scheduled? Most wrestlers wouldn't benefit from the weight gain of an anabolic steroid (unless they were going from 125 to 133 for some reason), but is current testing sophisticated enough to detect the new designer drugs coming out of Russia and China?
Yeah, because Nolf and Nickal look like they've been pumping 'roids for years.

Hey Vodka I never used the word cheat you did, you like to throw things out there and let people run with them. So don't play it was the one arm man card.

Reactions: hawknut
Absolutely PED use is occurring in college wrestling and basically every sport.

PED use does not "damage" the body the way it used to with steroid use. The modern drugs are very, very effective and the downsides are minimal. I would wager micro-dosing is pretty common. Guys aren't using the same way they did back in the Lesnar days.

Anyone who thinks PED use isn't taking place in college wrestling is naive. Just take a look at all the former college wrestlers who have tested positive in the UFC.

This sums it up perfectly. Personally I wouldn’t be shocked at any level of widespread PED use in any form of collegiate athletics including wrestling.

The NCAA monitors all kinds of things with these guys relative to weight cut, how much you can cut in a certain period of time, etc. (I don't know all of the specifics word for word, but you can't have a rapid descent in a matter of days anymore type of thing). It's a far more controlled and far better system than it used to be concerning the overall health of the athletes.

So I don't think anyone is "malnourished", but it doesn't mean they don't have a battle maintaining their weight.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a lot of it based on honor system with team trainers?

You must not realize there are different types of steroids. Not all are used to gain weight. Some will give you the strength gains while maintaining or losing weight, while enhancing recovery. No there isn't good enough testing for the ones who want to do it.

Abuse? No. Usage? Absolutely. Every sport has "performance enhancing drugs" usage.

This is nothing new and will not change, ever, no matter what rules are in place.
Not sure I understand your distinction between use and abuse in the case of peds

That's why he asked about the new designer drugs from Russia. They don't make guys strong,fast but they're grape flavored and just make guys really good at wrestling. The PSU guys don't even practice, they just eat them and play videos games.

Reactions: shobart and NJ Lion
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a lot of it based on honor system with team trainers?
I don't know all the particulars, but there are official weigh-ins, things of that nature. Who all witnesses and certifies such things I have no idea.

This I do know. If you somehow get caught trying to circumvent the system, you open yourself up to some serious liability issues if something goes awry. Bad things man.

Not that I think anyone is or isn’t using peds, but recognize that their purpose is not always to get bigger or stronger. Sometimes it’s to get a bigger aerobic motor (epo) or to promote recovery ( roids). Lance Armstrong was not exactly vasily alexeyev.

The NCAA randomly tests at the tournament but most schools only test for street drugs during the season because the cost to test for PED is to high.Kids are getting off the sauce in time to pass if they're picked to test at NCAA.I know some schools who tell the kids when the tests will be and tell the kids the test is only for street drugs.And most programs test just before the season and that's it.

Reactions: JohnBasedow
The NCAA randomly tests at the tournament but most schools only test for street drugs during the season because the cost to test for PED is to high.Kids are getting off the sauce in time to pass if they're picked to test at NCAA.I know some schools who tell the kids when the tests will be and tell the kids the test is only for street drugs.And most programs test just before the season and that's it.
Foolproof system, eh?

Exactly

Not sure how you can say “Abuse? No.”

I mean, that is a pretty outlandish comment.

Also spot on. You pretty much always know when ones coming.

This. The NCAA testing system is ripe for abuse. And they aren’t in the USADA system until they start competing at the senior level.

Saw the thread title about Ped abuse and thought this was going to be a thread about the showers at Penn St...

I actually thought a similar thing (sadly) . . . a thread dedicated to abusing Penn State wrestling fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT