ADVERTISEMENT

ISU transfer: Laughable

I am not going to read through the whole thing because I do not care enough, but why do people actually get mad or offended by the way Iowa State does things. It is fun to joke about "oh they got another transfer, haha." To actually get mad about it is another thing.

Some programs do not want to go through the ups and downs of bringing in a bunch of freshman, they prefer the band aid route. I watched a team play a couple of years ago against Drake and they pounded Drake. Drake had a bunch of Freshman and a newer coach, the other school had a handful of Juco guys and a 1st year coach who afterwards said "I don't have time to bring in freshman to rebuild, I am trying to win now." That team went from 10 wins to 20+

Not saying that is the correct route, but saying that is a route that some choose. I trust in what Fran has done at Iowa bringing in a JUCO guy when he feels necessary like Cartwright but he thinks he can bring in quality freshman.

Nothing wrong with Prohm taking on Brase, it's really a no risk gamble. However, I do have to laugh at this quote that Prohm had when discussing considering whether or not to take him:

“I was watching Baron Davis highlights this morning,” Prohm said before addressing fans at the Harlan Country Club. “I’m watching his highlights, and he’s dunking on everybody. I’m like 'Man, he’s dunking on everybody.'”

“He had an ACL; maybe two.”

The fact that Baron Davis, who was a world class athlete for his sport at one point prior to injury, even crossed his mind in this scenario is hilarious. Not even to mention they are two completely different types of players with completely different games...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ans-brase-risk-iowa-state-had-take/321584001/

Nothing wrong with Prohm taking on Brase, it's really a no risk gamble. However, I do have to laugh at this quote that Prohm had when discussing considering whether or not to take him:

The fact that Baron Davis, who was a world class athlete for his sport at one point prior to injury, even crossed his mind in this scenario is hilarious. Not even to mention they are two completely different types of players with completely different games...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ans-brase-risk-iowa-state-had-take/321584001/

Thank you for reminding me why I don't read the register on a consistent basis anymore especially its sports section. What a piece of garbage article and couldn't believe that quote was true until I actually read it. I agree nothing wrong with ISU taking Brase or Beverly from UTSA with open schollies. What is annoying and funny is the article only mentions the top juco they missed out on and fail to mention the many others they swung and missed on but try and spin it on how great the guys they are bringing in are as if they were their top targets the whole time.

I don't think Prohm will fall to the level of McDermott, however it is pretty obvious at this point the program was not sustainable the way Hoiberg was running it. In my mind it was similar to a ponzi scheme, kept stuffing the bottom with transfers every year instead of recruiting; once the transfers stop, there's going to be an issue.

I guess if cy biographer and historian randy peterson thinks it is okay, then it must be okay. After all, his opinion is front page above and below the fold; which is the way cy is covered in the DMRag.

Prohm is much better than McDermott at ISU. McDermott had a roster his final year with a first round NBA Pick, an NBA point guard, a 4 man who averaged a double double in conference, Christopherson, and a bunch of other good pieces and turned it into 4 conference wins and couldn't make the NIT. Dude was an embarrassment.

Now kasango gone before he played who clone fans are saying was gaarbage (which you assume any fan base make claim after guy decides to leave).

To be fair Chris Williams and anybody remotely connected to the basketball program has been saying all year not to expect anything out of Kasongo. That talk has been happening way before he decided to transfer.

Prohm is much better than McDermott at ISU. McDermott had a roster his final year with a first round NBA Pick, an NBA point guard, a 4 man who averaged a double double in conference, Christopherson, and a bunch of other good pieces and turned it into 4 conference wins and couldn't make the NIT. Dude was an embarrassment.

Ok

To be fair Chris Williams and anybody remotely connected to the basketball program has been saying all year not to expect anything out of Kasongo. That talk has been happening way before he decided to transfer.

I'm not disagreeing just saying that's the narrative of any fan base, Iowa fans as well. When player leaves he isn't good. I was surprised to see him leave with out knowing much about him besides he's from Tenn a front court guy and already sat out a year. But with him leaving probably re enforces the fact that Kasongo isn't that good with so little experience in their front court with Young being the only proven player back from last year. Guess my initial point was Prohm's transfer ability so far haven't close or near to the top tier players Hoiberg was able to bring and Kasongo being another example of one of them.

He also said before last football season to watch out for ISU's big 3 of Warren, Lazard, and Lanning. so...

I'm not disagreeing just saying that's the narrative of any fan base, Iowa fans as well. When player leaves he isn't good. I was surprised to see him leave with out knowing much about him besides he's from Tenn a front court guy and already sat out a year. But with him leaving probably re enforces the fact that Kasongo isn't that good with so little experience in their front court with Young being the only proven player back from last year. Guess my initial point was Prohm's transfer ability so far haven't close or near to the top tier players Hoiberg was able to bring and Kasongo being another example of one of them.

That's completely fair honestly. He hasn't had the great success Hoiberg had in the transfer market. We'll see if he can keep it rolling.

Lets just sit back and let the next McDermott era run its course.

Im guessing it lasts about 4 years.

Well in year one they went to the sweet 16. Year two only made the final 32, However, ISU has brought in a 5 star recruit and a 4 star recruit. Along with another top 150 kid. So I am not sure where you are thinking Prohm will fail. So far it has not been recruiting or on the court? You thinking he is all the sudden going to forget how to coach or what? What makes you think he can't do it.

Well ISU is a basketball school according to all ISU fans. Obviously not a football school. Anyway, I digress, for a basketball school how many elite 8's and final four's does ISU? Just curious. I mean do Gonzaga, Xaiver, and Butler have more? I have no clue. They just popped in my head. How many top 10's at the end of the year does ISU have ever in hoops (know they have none for football)? More or less than the 5 Iowa football top 10's from just 2002? Just curious.

Well ISU is a basketball school according to all ISU fans. Obviously not a football school. Anyway, I digress, for a basketball school how many elite 8's and final four's does ISU? Just curious. I mean do Gonzaga, Xaiver, and Butler have more? I have no clue. They just popped in my head. How many top 10's at the end of the year does ISU have ever in hoops (know they have none for football)? More or less than the 5 Iowa football top 10's from just 2002? Just curious.
Nobody cares much about the popularity contest called the AP poll. I think the hawks were ranked in the top 10 in the last 5 years, weren't They? Didn't they get destroyed in those bowl games? A very weak division of the B10 lends itself to a false sense of strength. Basketball is a bit better because the sample size in the conference, OOC, and the NCAAs (Or NIT) gives a more accurate strength.

You are really an idiot. I am talking after the season when Iowa wins or loses the bowl games. BTW I think we also beat Florida, South Carolina, LSU, Missouri, and GaTech in recent bowl games. When the NCAA basketball tourney is done and ISU loses how many top 10's? Where are the teams ranked? That is the question. Moron how many top 10's has ISU had in basketball or football ever? I know none for football and I will wait. Thanks pal.

You are really an idiot. I am talking after the season when Iowa wins or loses the bowl games. BTW I think we also beat Florida, South Carolina, LSU, Missouri, and GaTech in recent bowl games. When the NCAA basketball tourney is done and ISU loses how many top 10's? Where are the teams ranked? That is the question. Moron how many top 10's has ISU had in basketball or football ever? I know none for football and I will wait. Thanks pal.

Pretty sure Iowa State has two top ten finishes in the AP poll in the recent run. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the 1999-2000 season they have 4 Top 10 finishes.

There you go calling names. You have zero self control. It really drowns out any message you might try and communicate because you immediately get discounted.

Since the 1999-2000 season they have 4 Top 10 finishes.

What years? ESPN shows final AP/Coaches polls back to 2010 and best they did under Hoiberg was 11th in 13'-14' season. I'm also looking at rankings not at end of regular season but end of the tourney. Cause 3 times they've gone into tourney rankings in top 10 but only 1 year in 00' can find out they finished season after ncaa tourney in top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
What years? ESPN shows final AP/Coaches polls back to 2010 and best they did under Hoiberg was 11th in 13'-14' season. I'm also looking at rankings not at end of regular season but end of the tourney. Cause 3 times they've gone into tourney rankings in top 10 but only 1 year in 00' can find out they finished season after ncaa tourney in top 10.
I don't see polls after the tournament with rankings. I know they were ranked 9th before losing to UAB. I can't imagine they would have stayed in the top 10 after that, and I'm also not sure they have those rankings.

I also don't know how you can judge Prohm based off his first two years. Anyone would have taken those teams to the tournament, starting this year, we will really know what kind of coach he is. I will say, I like the dude, seems like a pretty awesome person.

As far as the future, he has kind of struck out on transfers, none really stick out as being game changers. Wiggington looks like an absolute stud, and game changer. Is Lard as good as all ISU fans have made him out to be? Jackson is a good player and coupling him with Wiggington in the backcourt could make for a really good backcourt. I see ISU as a bubble team, similar to Iowa this year, mainly because I know nothing about their transfers, or how good Lard/Wiggington are.

I don't see polls after the tournament with rankings. I know they were ranked 9th before losing to UAB. I can't imagine they would have stayed in the top 10 after that, and I'm also not sure they have those rankings.

I also don't know how you can judge Prohm based off his first two years. Anyone would have taken those teams to the tournament, starting this year, we will really know what kind of coach he is. I will say, I like the dude, seems like a pretty awesome person.

As far as the future, he has kind of struck out on transfers, none really stick out as being game changers. Wiggington looks like an absolute stud, and game changer. Is Lard as good as all ISU fans have made him out to be? Jackson is a good player and coupling him with Wiggington in the backcourt could make for a really good backcourt. I see ISU as a bubble team, similar to Iowa this year, mainly because I know nothing about their transfers, or how good Lard/Wiggington are.
I don't know if I would say anyone could have. There are some bad coaches. Look at some of the talent guys like Jones at LSU or Romar at Washington and there are plenty more examples, and they didn't take talented teams to the tournament

Well in year one they went to the sweet 16. Year two only made the final 32, However, ISU has brought in a 5 star recruit and a 4 star recruit. Along with another top 150 kid. So I am not sure where you are thinking Prohm will fail. So far it has not been recruiting or on the court? You thinking he is all the sudden going to forget how to coach or what? What makes you think he can't do it.

Fred's players.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

I think you make a good point about Prohm with team he inherited. He and Greg Gard at Wisconsin both walked into great situations with the teams they inherited with solid upperclassman. Each had a large and talented junior classes that made things easier first 2 years and in a different situation than some other coaches who come in after guy was fired and program is in a lot worse shape (ex. Fran post Lickliter). They both replaced a guy leaving on his own terms. In both football and basketball my opinion is in years 3-5 with program tells you lot more about the coach than when he starts to have squads made up of his own guys he brings in.

As a clone friend of me put it that Rhoads success was all with former 2 coaches players and once he started to have his own teams of guys he recruited they weren't as good and most Iowa fans can say the same about Tom Davis was most successful with Raveling's guys but unlike Rhoads still had success with his own guys.

I think you make a good point about Prohm with team he inherited. He and Greg Gard at Wisconsin both walked into great situations with the teams they inherited with solid upperclassman. Each had a large and talented junior classes that made things easier first 2 years and in a different situation than some other coaches who come in after guy was fired and program is in a lot worse shape (ex. Fran post Lickliter). They both replaced a guy leaving on his own terms. In both football and basketball my opinion is in years 3-5 with program tells you lot more about the coach than when he starts to have squads made up of his own guys he brings in.

As a clone friend of me put it that Rhoads success was all with former 2 coaches players and once he started to have his own teams of guys he recruited they weren't as good and most Iowa fans can say the same about Tom Davis was most successful with Raveling's guys but unlike Rhoads still had success with his own guys.

In Rhoads case, he also made horrible decisions in hiring after Herman left for OSU. I think that probably had just as big of effect on their team as anything else. And didn't Rhoads still make Bowl games in years 3 and 4?

Some of the people who seem to have a decent record on such matters have said they think Terrance Lewis may be the sleeper in this year's class (6-6 small forward from Milwaukee). Agree with you about Lard.....I've heard too many times about how the best player on the team is on the bench for one reason or another. One name that's not been mentioned in this thread is Nick Weiler-Babb. He had some good moments this year and Prohm has said he has more NBA potential than anyone on the squad.

I will be disappointed if ISU doesn't make the NCAA tournament next year, to be brutally honest.

Some of the people who seem to have a decent record on such matters have said they think Terrance Lewis may be the sleeper in this year's class (6-6 small forward from Milwaukee). Agree with you about Lard.....I've heard too many times about how the best player on the team is on the bench for one reason or another. One name that's not been mentioned in this thread is Nick Weiler-Babb. He had some good moments this year and Prohm has said he has more NBA potential than anyone on the squad.

I will be disappointed if ISU doesn't make the NCAA tournament next year, to be brutally honest.

Disappointed? Yes. Surprised? No. It's going to be tough and the B12 will be tough again.

With new players and some of the more talented ones being freshmen, I think one should expect struggles and just enjoy any success.

ADVERTISEMENT