ADVERTISEMENT

ISU transfer: Laughable

Some of the people who seem to have a decent record on such matters have said they think Terrance Lewis may be the sleeper in this year's class (6-6 small forward from Milwaukee). Agree with you about Lard.....I've heard too many times about how the best player on the team is on the bench for one reason or another. One name that's not been mentioned in this thread is Nick Weiler-Babb. He had some good moments this year and Prohm has said he has more NBA potential than anyone on the squad.

I will be disappointed if ISU doesn't make the NCAA tournament next year, to be brutally honest.
Watched some highlights of Lewis, reminded me a lot of Moss. Wiggington looks really good though, again, not sure about the tourney, will definitely seem to be close. Was Young only good because the floor was so spread out with Long/Morris/Burton/Thomas? Can he create on his own? Honestly I watched very little of ISU late in the season last year, but when I did watch, he was benefitting from Morris passes quite a bit. Lot's of questions for the first time in awhile.

Watched some highlights of Lewis, reminded me a lot of Moss. Wiggington looks really good though, again, not sure about the tourney, will definitely seem to be close. Was Young only good because the floor was so spread out with Long/Morris/Burton/Thomas? Can he create on his own? Honestly I watched very little of ISU late in the season last year, but when I did watch, he was benefitting from Morris passes quite a bit. Lot's of questions for the first time in awhile.

From what I have read, Prohm likes to have athletic rim running 5 men who can play good D. So him getting easy buckets off passes from PGs is just a function of the offense. Pick and Roll, also having guards get into the teeth of the defense and either score, or dump to the big when defense collapses or kick it out for 3. But he was never asked to score much on his own last year and I imagine he won't this year either. Has a decent jump shot though. The ISU team for next year is one big question mark. Even the returnees, like Young as you pointed out, are question marks. Very difficult to make any kind of prediction except that NIT is the likeliest scenario. But even that isn't a sure thing.

Reactions: mazda1
Yup. And I don't think a lot of people realize how much we're going to miss Morris.....just like a lot of people didn't realize how much we were going to miss Niang.

I'll be disappointed if ISU doesn't make the tournament because I think the program is at a level where it goes every year; I'm not necessarily predicting it based on what I know about the players, as there are too many newbies.

Yup. And I don't think a lot of people realize how much we're going to miss Morris.....just like a lot of people didn't realize how much we were going to miss Niang.

I'll be disappointed if ISU doesn't make the tournament because I think the program is at a level where it goes every year; I'm not necessarily predicting it based on what I know about the players, as there are too many newbies.
If ISU can minimize the # of early season losses when they are learning to gel, they'll make the tourney. If they come into the Big12 with 5 or 6 losses, they're going to struggle, simple as it sounds.

If ISU can minimize the # of early season losses when they are learning to gel, they'll make the tourney. If they come into the Big12 with 5 or 6 losses, they're going to struggle, simple as it sounds.
Simple is often correct.
yikes now four star McNeil asking to be released from his scholly. What is going on?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
yikes now four star McNeil asking to be released from his scholly. What is going on?
I don't follow recruiting closely at all. I saw some posts on CR speculating that a former AAU coach who recently got a job at Cal is involved, but I don't necessarily trust the Internet -- except here, of course ;)

Reactions: kceasthawk
I hope Prohm does well at ISU. I think he is a good coach. And seems like a really good guy and a good fit for ISU. My anti-ISU sentiments are to a certain group of ISU fans that would rather have Iowa lose than ISU win. And not a huge fan of Campbell's football recruiting (which may be the way of the future though) and all the dumb hash-tags but think he is a good coach who is doing what he needs to do. Anyway, I think it is BS that the kid decommitted now.

The next few years will be interesting now that Hoiberg's players are gone. We shall see if Prohm can recruit good enough to keep them happy in Ames.

I think Prohm will recruit good enough to keep Iowa State average to slightly above average... maybe a win or two in the NCAA tourney from time to time.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

I agree with Morris. I don't care how good both freshman are and know one is 4-5* but still be some drop off from Morris. His lack of turnovers and creating for others was always impressive and painful to watch as an Iowa fan yet even so appreciated his game. Isu will be lot like Iowa last year breaking in lot of new players maybe drop a game or 2 shouldn't early. Only difference Iowa had jok and isu doesn't have someone his caliber.

I agree with Morris. I don't care how good both freshman are and know one is 4-5* but still be some drop off from Morris. His lack of turnovers and creating for others was always impressive and painful to watch as an Iowa fan yet even so appreciated his game. Isu will be lot like Iowa last year breaking in lot of new players maybe drop a game or 2 shouldn't early. Only difference Iowa had jok and isu doesn't have someone his caliber.
Yes, Iowa had Jok last year and Jok was the reason for Iowa losing some games last year. If you noticed many times when Jok would go to the bench the young players would speed up their game and go on a run. I don't think Jok will be missed as much as some of you might think. Jok could score points and certainly not comparing him to MJ by any stretch but I watched the Bulls back in the MJ era and it seemed the games where MJ scored 30 or more points the Bulls would lose. It takes three or more players capable of scoring in big numbers to be a successful team.

Reactions: HerkyFan
Yes, Iowa had Jok last year and Jok was the reason for Iowa losing some games last year. If you noticed many times when Jok would go to the bench the young players would speed up their game and go on a run. I don't think Jok will be missed as much as some of you might think. Jok could score points and certainly not comparing him to MJ by any stretch but I watched the Bulls back in the MJ era and it seemed the games where MJ scored 30 or more points the Bulls would lose. It takes three or more players capable of scoring in big numbers to be a successful team.

Plenty of games where Jok carried the team early in the year. Iowa doesn't win ISU game with out him. Same for other games like Purdue, Michigan or Indiana at home. That was one thing Fran said others had to learn not to rely on him and later in year as team improved won some big games where jok didn't play great or carried them like Maryland or Wisconsin. But losing a great 3 pt and ft and jump shooter like him will be missed. Jok like other all conference players also freed up others on offense by attracting lot of attention from other teams defense.

Plenty of games where Jok carried the team early in the year. Iowa doesn't win ISU game with out him. Same for other games like Purdue, Michigan or Indiana at home. That was one thing Fran said others had to learn not to rely on him and later in year as team improved won some big games where jok didn't play great or carried them like Maryland or Wisconsin. But losing a great 3 pt and ft and jump shooter like him will be missed. Jok like other all conference players also freed up others on offense by attracting lot of attention from other teams defense.

Most of the games where the offense was all about Jok, Iowa lost.

Purdue was the one game where he pretty much carried the team to a win.

There were other games like the ones you listed where he scored well but other guys had it going well too.

Iowa has more than enough offensive weapons next year, its defense that will determine how far they can go.

Well they got Jacobsen. Wow. This is the guy when all the Clones were talking about potential transfers he was not on the list of top 12. And he was ripped when brought up on CF. Oh how the mighty have fallen on transfers at ISU. Jesus can't wait to see the rationalization from CyTwins and the CF group who said the only way ISU would take him was a walk on with no money and he would never see the floor. Now on a full ride?! Yikes. That is woof on steroids.

He is a pretty decent player but doesn't seem to fit in with what I think Prohm wants to do. We'll see how he uses him.

Well they got Jacobsen. Wow. This is the guy when all the Clones were talking about potential transfers he was not on the list of top 12. And he was ripped when brought up on CF. Oh how the mighty have fallen on transfers at ISU. Jesus can't wait to see the rationalization from CyTwins and the CF group who said the only way ISU would take him was a walk on with no money and he would never see the floor. Now on a full ride?! Yikes. That is woof on steroids.

Why don't you go on Cyfan and say things to him instead of coming on here and talking about him?

Reactions: Hawkdroppings
He is a pretty decent player but doesn't seem to fit in with what I think Prohm wants to do. We'll see how he uses him.

I agree. He averaged 8pts/10rbs against us last year. I think his main issue at Nebraska was they moved him inside and he felt more comfortable with his outside game. He certainly doesn't fit the mold of your typical Clown though. I guess time will tell.

I agree. He averaged 8pts/10rbs against us last year. I think his main issue at Nebraska was they moved him inside and he felt more comfortable with his outside game. He certainly doesn't fit the mold of your typical Clown though. I guess time will tell.
Why doesn't he fit the mold? It appears he can stretch the floor a bit which is a very good fit. Morrow was the player that didn't fit at all.

Why doesn't he fit the mold? It appears he can stretch the floor a bit which is a very good fit. Morrow was the player that didn't fit at all.
Definitely doesn't fit the mold. He's simply not athletic enough and isn't a knock down shooter from three. I really like him as a player, and like what he does for a team, but I just can't see him fitting in at ISU. The athleticism in the big 12 is a lot different than the BIG.

I understood Prohm liked to run and play fast. The last two years notwithstanding.

Definitely doesn't fit the mold. He's simply not athletic enough and isn't a knock down shooter from three. I really like him as a player, and like what he does for a team, but I just can't see him fitting in at ISU. The athleticism in the big 12 is a lot different than the BIG.
I thought he won a game for the nubs by knocking down a 3 as time expired. I haven't looked at his %, but I thought he was around 30%. If he is anywhere near that, the staff will work hard with him over the year he sits out and go from there.

The athleticism is different?

In what way?

Jacobson is actually a pretty good athlete. He's graded out extremely high in the Nebraska athletic department's testing. He's not terribly skilled which is what really holds him back.

Let's get real here....If we had recruited Jacobson out of HS and signed him, it would have been universally mocked on CyFan, just like they guffawed our signing of Garza, Nunge and Bohannon. Now that they've missed out on so many others transfers they targeted, Jacobson is some sort of stud. Nice player, but not much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerkyFan and DanL53
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT